SASS Wire Forum

Need something unique, advice!

strikermcbain

So I'm considering what to buy for my second set of pistols. I've already got the standard SAAs. Now I want something more interesting. My choices have been narrowed down to the following: Bisleys, Schofields, or Outlaws. I like the handle on the bisleys alright and they look cool. I love the look/feel of the Outlaws. I think Schofield's are the rarest of the 3 but they also kick my bank account in the face. I'm a stickler for "correctness" so I prefer Uberti over Ruger. That also brings me to the questions of importer. I know they're all Uberti but Cimarron, Taylors, Uberti, EMF... My friend recently went through 2 Schofields with Uberti. One didn't function correctly and the second shot about a foot left at 25 yards and has finally resulted in Uberti refunding the money. I also had an Outlaw from Uberti that shot 6 inches high. Verified both with a rest to make sure it wasn't us being horrible. Now it has me skittish to buy Uberti. Does the choice of importer have a factor in accuracy in any way or just finish? Give me your advice on what you would choose.

I have 2 set of Outlaws from EMF that have been work on, changed main spring to 58's and installed wire springs on trigers with polishing parts, and another pair that I got from a friend that are bone stock that I use for back-ups, but will do work on them to make them all the same. All shoot to point of aim at 30 feet. I have been useing them for 8 years now and love them

It's like they say about motorcycles, if you want to work on them, buy a Harley. If you want to ride, buy a Honda.

After all the above-mentioned problems, why buy trouble? Correctness is fine, but, if you want a gun that works first time, every time, buy a Ruger. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they don't have such a good reputation for nothing.

Buy a pair of the New Vaquero Bisleys and don't look back.

I know some importers claim higher standards and that may be true but I doubt the factory knows where a particular gun is going until the final processes. so while stocks and grips may be affected accuracy would be mill run or luck of the draw.

As to uniqueness I had a set of EMF 1875 Remington Outlaws that were very accurate that I used for several years. Almost every match I used them I would have some one ask about them, or comment on them.

Before the rules allowing SBH and Montado hammers I am surprised they were not the go to guns. They had the slightly longer trigger reach of the ORVs and a lower hammer spur similar to the Bisley.

Hope this helps

Smoke

For some reason, almost all 1875's seem to shoot high, all three of my .44-40's are about 10" high, not really a problem though, I just use a bullseye hold or you could install a taller front sight, but a full foot left with the Schofield is really pushing the envelope. I installed an offset sight on one of my Schofields to get it centered. I have a LOT of fixed sight revolvers, and fully half of them required some kind of regulating to get POI to POA. It's the nature of the beast - velocities and bullet weights will GREATLY impact POI/POA, and there is just no way a manufacturer can make a fixed sight gun that will shoot to the same place with everyone's chosen load. If this were true, why would adjustable sights have ever been invented? Would you complain if your adjustable sighted guns weren't dead on with the rear sight perfectly centered and exactly halfway up? Of course not, you would move the sight to adjust POA to POI, and you have to do the same thing with most fixed sight guns.

It's like they say about motorcycles, if you want to work on them, buy a Harley. If you want to ride, buy a Honda.

Like Who says?

Bull Hockey.You obviously haven't ridden a Harley in the past 10-15 years or so...Absolutely as or more reliable than any other high end motorcycle, including Honda...Harley Davidson..If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway :)

Like Who says?

Bull Hockey.You obviously haven't ridden a Harley in the past 10-15 years or so...Absolutely as or more reliable than any other high end motorcycle, including Honda...Harley Davidson..If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway :)

In the 1950's Harley made a so so motorcycle. Now they make a great 1950's motorcycle.

My first bike was a 1953 Pan head and you had to know how to work on bikes to ride it. I went through about 3 shovel heads and have taken off the primary on the side of I-10 to remove the clutch pack to remove oil from a dry running clutch. I bought a 1993 EVO and it was the most boring bike as all I did was put in fuel. My wife fell a sleep on many a trip on that Road King. If you want to go from A-Z then ride a Honda but if you are going to a destination a Harley is the only way to get there. Riding since 1963. From Louisiana to Sturgis and Daytona many times with out the use of a trailer!!

After all the above-mentioned problems, why buy trouble? Correctness is fine, but, if you want a gun that works first time, every time, buy a Ruger. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they don't have such a good reputation for nothing.

Buy a pair of the New Vaquero Bisleys and don't look back.

ha nobody said that ever, maybe a honda owner. haha

Of the ones you've mentioned (or maybe not because I don't remember seeing the brand come up) I would suggest getting a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's. Sure you might have to think about packing a spare transfer bar and a pawl or two, but that's small potatoes compared to the mix of problems of the others. The Schofields also have a big distaste for Black Powder and can't stomach it at all whereas it is no problem for the Rugers (which is what I shoot in mine). Good luck in your selection process and happy shooting. Smithy.

I'm partial to replicas of 1851 Richards-Mason Open Top Conversion revolvers. Got mine from Cimarron.

I HAVE HAD 6 RUGER BISLEYS ONLY TWO WERE BOUGHT THAT WAY THE RUGER BISLEY GRIP FOR SOME REASON FITS

MY HAND JUST RIGHT THE FEEL OF ALL OTHER GUNS ISNT THE SAME FROM WHAT I UNDESTAND RUGER IS NOW

MAKING NEW BISLEYS WITH THE SMALLER FRAME HAVEN'T SEEN ONE YET BUT NOT GOING TO GET OLD GUNS YET,

ALSO ALL MY GUNS HAVE 5 1/2" BARRELS FOR SOME REASON THE SHORTER ONES JUST DONT LOOK RIGHT

BUT RUGER MAKES A SOLID GUN THAT IS GARANTEED FOR LIFE OF THE GUN NOT THE OWNER

GABBY

I HAVE HAD 6 RUGER BISLEYS ONLY TWO WERE BOUGHT THAT WAY THE RUGER BISLEY GRIP FOR SOME REASON FITS

MY HAND JUST RIGHT THE FEEL OF ALL OTHER GUNS ISNT THE SAME FROM WHAT I UNDESTAND RUGER IS NOW

MAKING NEW BISLEYS WITH THE SMALLER FRAME HAVEN'T SEEN ONE YET BUT NOT GOING TO GET OLD GUNS YET,

ALSO ALL MY GUNS HAVE 5 1/2" BARRELS FOR SOME REASON THE SHORTER ONES JUST DONT LOOK RIGHT

BUT RUGER MAKES A SOLID GUN THAT IS GARANTEED FOR LIFE OF THE GUN NOT THE OWNER

GABBY

I believe that all the Ruger Bisleys, old model, new model, and single six have the same grip size. BTW posting in all caps is the internet equivelent of shouting.

I have 4 75 Remingtons and 2 open tops.ALL are UBERTI made.....the ONLY difference between any Uberti built guns sold by Taylors,EMF,Navy Arms or Cimarron is who's logo gets stamped on the barrel at the time of manufacture.One name brand supposedly being better than the other is good or better marketing on the distributors end.If you don't believe this,call Uberti and ask.I did and so have a couple of other shooters I shoot with.Rugers are excellent guns,don't get me wrong,but like you,I like the "feel" of the 75's and open tops better than the Rugers.As for motorcycles,I wish I still had my Triumphs.Back in my days of riding you could always tell a Harley rider by the larger size of his right leg from kick starting his.Just a joke Harley riders.....They build great bikes now compared to then.Should have added,my 75's all shot about 4 inches low.Filed the front sight a tad now they miss because I'm a lousy shot...not the guns fault.

Howdy

If you are a stickler for correctness, the grip on a Ruger Bisley is not the same as the grip on an original Colt Bisley or replica Bisley made by Uberti. The originals looked different and felt different in the hand.

Can't advise you on the Outlaw. I have always liked the looks of them, but have only shot one once. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I found a used one in these parts.

Like Who says?

Bull Hockey.You obviously haven't ridden a Harley in the past 10-15 years or so...Absolutely as or more reliable than any other high end motorcycle, including Honda...Harley Davidson..If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway :D

A newer Harley don't even mark its territory anymore! :blink: (Leak oil) :rolleyes:

I believe that all the Ruger Bisleys, old model, new model, and single six have the same grip size. BTW posting in all caps is the internet equivelent of shouting.

Maybe he can't hear himself typing. Sorry can't resist that one. :rolleyes:

I think Schofield's are the rarest of the 3 but they also kick my bank account in the face.

Tell me about it! Sometimes when I'm out at the range, I suddenly realize I'm wearing a mortgage payment on my hips.

I'm a stickler for "correctness" so I prefer Uberti over Ruger.

I didn't go for correctness, I picked the Schofields because 1) I'm a big fan of Smith & Wesson. I know, I know. They aren't S&W's, they're Italian copies, and 2) I didn't want to shoot the same thing most everyone else shoots, i.e. SAA & SAA clones (Ruger, USFA, etc.), and 3) I wear a cavalry uniform and the Schofields are a nice touch.

That also brings me to the questions of importer. I know they're all Uberti but Cimarron, Taylors, Uberti, EMF... My friend recently went through 2 Schofields with Uberti. One didn't function correctly and the second shot about a foot left at 25 yards and has finally resulted in Uberti refunding the money. I also had an Outlaw from Uberti that shot 6 inches high. Verified both with a rest to make sure it wasn't us being horrible. Now it has me skittish to buy Uberti. Does the choice of importer have a factor in accuracy in any way or just finish?

To a certain degree that is correct. In regards to the Schofield, there isn't much difference in accuracy/finish between the different importers. One of my Schofields has Navy Arms stamped on it, and the other one has Taylors & Co. The Navy Arms is dead on at 25 yds or less. The Taylor's shoots a bit high. I equate that to the Navy Arms being almost 10 yrs old, and the Taylor's I got earlier this year - different production runs. But both are Uberti.

Give me your advice on what you would choose.

Unless it was an obvious P.O.S, I don't think you'll have too much problem with any of the ones on the market today. You may get one that's a bit high/low/left/right, and unless there is some major mechanical problem, point of aim can be corrected. Really boils down to what you really want. I really wanted the Schofields. But if I were to choose new pistols now, I'd seriously look at a pair of 1872 open tops.

Archived