SASS Wire Forum

Local patrolman killed

Three Foot Johnson

ARTICLE

Just 23 years old. :FlagAm: He is the youngest Montana Highway Patrolman to die in the line of duty. The suspect was found dead less than twenty miles from here.

And for what??? It always is hard to fathom how some lowlife finds it necessary to kill over what appears to be not very serious matters....so a young man loses his life for nothing.....

A heartbreaker. Prayers up from here also.

When you've been lucky and blessed and have a lot of years and you have grandkids near the age of this fine lawman, you can hardly stand to see these kinds of mindless things.

Only God can put it right, somehow, someday....

I didn't know David DeLaittre, and, as such, had no reason to attend his funeral, but I had to make a trip to Bozeman this morning. Between Townsend and I-90 on 287, I was passed by an inordinate number of MHP vehicles, and it took me awhile to put two and two together and conclude that David's services were probably today. When I hit I-90, there were a LOT of police vehicles in the westbound lanes heading to the Three Forks area. It was a cool, crisp morning with a lot of fog in the low areas, and when I returned and exited I-90 onto the two lane for the drive home, vehicles started coming out of the fog bank ahead of me... five... twelve... twenty... fifty... a hundred...

The procession from the cemetery back to town was absolutely mind-boggling - I'd guess over a hundred MHP cars, each with a small US flag waving on one side and a small Montana flag on the other, as well as a few cruisers from Idaho and Wyoming. Interspersed throughout the procession were many county Sheriff's cars and city police cruisers, as well as fire trucks, fire/rescue vehicles, FWP vehicles, forest service vehicles, park police vehicles from Yellowstone, two or three ambulances, and a couple I've never seen before - white cruisers with blue & black trim and blue letters across the trunk reading, "Federal Police". Oddly, there were a couple of armored cars too; Brinks or Wells Fargo, which may or may not have intentionally been part of the line. All told, I would say there were in excess of five hundred vehicles. It was a rather eerie scene, as, due to the fog, you could only see maybe a dozen vehicles at any one time, then they would slowly pass and disappear into the fog behind me.

It has been determined that David's assailant was hit once in the exchange of gunfire, but died by his own hand thirty miles away with a shot from a .22 rifle. The coroner stated that the wound from David's side arm would have eventually proven fatal. Trooper DeLaittre is only the third Montana Highway Patrolman to have died in a shooting.

RIP, young man.

I will look for his name on the National Police Memorial Wall next year and salut him at the dedication on the Capitol Lawn. My Department has lost 6 this year.

The loss of just one Warrior diminishes us all.

Prayers, Up!

Six in one year?? Good God, man.

But then again, Chicago has three times the population of the entire state of Montana.

This is what happens when the politicians pander to the gang bangers and store front revrunds, while letting manpower drop 30% and hiding the true numbers from the public by creative book cooking.

They are budgeted for 13,500 and actually have less than 9K sworn Officers. They are admitting to being down 2K but the numbers are fudged by using civilians such as meter maids, crossing guards, traffic management aids and any civilian assigned to the Police Department. This along with having a sworn member assigned to one unit and detailed to another to double count them..

I wonder where the rest of the budgeted money went to as those people are paid less than half a sworn Officer's pay grade. I didn't see it in equipment or training......

The area where I live has a lot of Police Officers living here so the brass has decided to strip the District of manpower and send them to where the savages live. But the savages come up to my neighborhood to prey on the decent people living here. Our Superintendent's response? Then protect your own homes... Great response for an former FBI Agent.....

Hey stupid.... What about the masses that aren't Police Officers? How will they protect themselves? mayor daley's staunch anti gun stance over the last 22 years has almost guaranteed a defenseless society in Chicago and provided a target rich environment for the savages..

Thatnk God that the SCOTUS overturned the handgun ban but Daley's response was to allow handguns but require registration for 15 yankee greenbacks per firearm and require a handgun permit for 100 yankee greenbacks along with a gun safety class... He still came out on top because any working Cop knows that his gun registration and handgun ban had nothing to do with crime control. It was a way to disram the populace so that the political elite can run amok with questionable practices. Add to this that the mayor and aldercritters voted for an ordinancve many years ago that gave them Peace Officer status within Chicago for enforcing Municiple codes and having arrest powers that also authorizes them to carry firearms without State mandated training as Peace Officers...

Add to that a mayoral bodyguard detail that has 60 sworn Officers armned to the teeth and you get my angst.....

Sorry to hear of the young trooper's death. Trully a tragedy. At least whoever caused the death of the perpetrator saved the tax payers of Montana a lot of money and ensured justice was done.

Another brother officer has fallen and I will never become accustomed to that feeling as my mind flashes back to all the funerals that I have attended. Not that it helps but at least the state will not have to pay for housing and feeding the scumbag that took this very young officer from his future.

:D:lol::lol::lol::huh:

Saying some prayers for him and his kin.

This has got to be tough on their family (esp during Christmas Season).

Mustang and Calamity

We lost one this past Wednesday night. 27 year old Orange County Deputy was shot in the head during a traffic stop. Suspect drove a few blocks down the road and killed himself. Suspect was just released a few weeks ago, 3 years early, from a 10 year prison sentence.

Prayers to all of my fellow LEO's

JEL

Archived