SASS Wire Forum

Newb looking for advice

NSIops

Hello,

I am new to the forums here, and I am interested in getting into some cowboy action shooting. I have experienced (military and police) with semi automatic handguns, but do not know much of anything when it comes to single action revolvers. I know I want something in .38spc becuase of ammo price. Likewise where can I shop for a holster and belt? and what characteristics should I look for in leather gear?

Thanks

NS,

You are going to hear this a lot. Get to some local matches and ask questions before making any decisions or purchasing any gear. You may even find some used guns or gear that you could try out before purchasing.

Now having said that it is hard to beat Rugers for pistols and a Marlin for the rifle. The shot gun is kind of up in the air. Price wise a 97 clone is probably the cheapest unless You find a good used sxs. As for leather gear much like duty gear you want good quality heavy, stiff leather that will hold it's shape when drawing and reholstering the pistols. While at the matches ask around about leather workers. In this area we are blessed with several cowboys who will make a custom rig for about the price of the big names off the rack setups.

You are correct on your choice of caliber. I would suggest 12 ga. for the shot gun, like 38s they are more common and cheaper.

Welcome to cowboy action shooting, and good luck.

Hope this helps

Smoke

Go to a shoot or 2 and make it known you're new and interested in getting into this fun activity.99% of the time you'll be flooded with offers to try out some different brands,styles and calibers of guns including shotguns.See what "feels" best to you and what most of the shooters are using.Probably gonna be Rugers or another type/style of colt clone for pistols.A Marlin or 73 for rifle and generally a SxS or 97 repro for shotgun.After you've had the chance to try some out and the leather that was borrowed to you to try these out,then start making choices.NOT before.I started out with Rugers,the old models and then bought a 75 Remington because I liked the look.Turns out I liked the "feel' of it better than the colt STYLE of pistols,so that's what I shoot now as well as open top conversions.I didn't go try guns out beofre I got into it.I wish I had.

Rugers for SA revolvers and if I was starting over and if I could afford it I'd buy a slicked up 1866 by Cimarron. I got my leather from http://www.gandjleather.com/page9.html George did a beautiful job, check out his site. I shoot 12ga SxS IGA Coachgun Supreme. Best advise get out at a match talk to the cowboy there tell them you're starting out and need stuff they'll let you try theirs I'm sure and you may find guys looking to sell their overstock.

Have fun, play safe. Beware this is highly addictive. But I wouldn't change a thing!

Compliments of the season to ya'll!

Something is drawing you to cowboy action shooting, pursue that first love. If it is the Winchester '73 don't buy yourself a Marlin to save a few bucks. If you really want a real Colt then buy real Colts. If you don't care about these then certainly buy the Ruger and Marlin or something along those lines. What do you want?

I am new here also. Dont just buy. Go to a shoot and shoot differant gun.I have bought 3 sets of guns and did not like two sets of them. I bought a set of new model ruger V. beisleys. shot 5 shots thourgh them and hated them, too big for my hand.I have a set of guns that shoot good they were just not a matched pair, I am shooting and pair of slicked P model Cimarrons and love them. Go shoot some before you buy.I shoot a model 92 slicked by Nate and it is way fastter than I am. I am shooting a blaikel 12 ga slicked. I know I dont spell to good. Just go meet some Pard and shoot before you buy. Just my 2 cents

Guest diablo slim shootist

All the above is good advice !-But BEWARE this sport is ADICTIVE

and soon you will be spending the kids college money -taking small

amounts of cash out of your wifes purse -and finally begging on the

street for spare change to buy a box of primers just to hear the words

"SHOOTER READY?" :unsure::ph34r: :ph34r:

I would recomend going to a shoot as well.Also Captain Baylor sight is excellent.

But in my opinion the best way to save money is to buy the best stuff then you dont have to sell starter stuff ,then the only thing holding you back is you .

Rugers or USFA Rodeo's

'73 slicked up

'97(winchester or IAC ) or good double

Mernicle leather is awsome.

Have fun AO

For pistols, you will be hard pressed to beat the New SASS model Ruger Vaqueros. They are especiaslly made for our game, and are very reasonably priced. They have lowered hammer spurs and the wide notched rear sights. They are stainless steel, and are only sold in pairs with consecutive serial nunbers. They even have the SASS logo on the grips. Excellent pistols for SASS.

RBK

We can help with various recommendations IF we know what attracted you to us. There seems to be three primary desires that separate our individual reasons for being here. To some it is about wanting to recreate in our minds, to varying extents, a look and feeling of actually have been there for that gunfight. These guys look for historically accurate representations of the guns and gear appropriate to their favorite period in the old west. Some prefer to have a desire to do the same BUT with the added dimension of basing their persona and outfits on their favorite style of old movies. The next big group is those who are not actually interested in the cowboy part at all, beyond basic requirements, and all equipment considerations are based on the practical aspects of said equipment. I think that by far most of our shooters tend to be a bit more multifaceted and can not be pigeonholed as easily. Frontiersmen who look right out of 1865 and are extremely competitive with highly tuned equipment of the era. A couple of top shooters come to mind who go well beyond basics with their costumes, even though I have little doubt that the costumes are secondary to them. Look at Evil Roy, he personifies the image of a B Western gunfighter while being one of our highest level shooters for years. Where do you see yourself within SASS in a few years and then ask for what will best serve your needs in getting there?

Welcome Pard,

You've got good advice. One thing to consider before getting leather is what style you will shoot. If you want to shoot gunfighter style (two guns out at one time) or double duelist (one gun at a time but left gun shot with left hand and right gun shot with right hand) you will need a double-strong side holster. If you want to shoot duelist with one hand, you will need a cross draw. If you use a two-handed grip, either a double-strong side or a cross draw will work.

Check out the SASS Shooter Handbook for other category requirements. B-Western has clothing, leather, and rifle specifics; but, any shooting style may be used. In age-based categories, any shooting style (except gunfighter), SASS-legal guns, and leather may be used. If you want to shoot a black powder category, you may not use a '97 SG. There are more details than I've listed. So, be sure to check the booklet and know what category you want to start with and whether you may change after a while.

Happy Trails!

Allie Mo

Howdy, Pard,

So far as holsters and belts are concerned, and just about regardless of the pistols (handguns in the Old West were generally referred to as "pistols" or "revolving pistols", rather than modern custom of distinguishing "revolvers" from semi-auto "pistols"), you need to determine what catagories you want to shoot, and then whether (except for Gunfighter or Double Duelist) you will be doing most of your shooting with your strong hand. If the latter is the case, then you probably will want one strongside, butt rear holster and a crossdraw. Your stature will also be a factor as to whether you want a crossdraw holster. (Barrel chests or those suffering from "Dunlop's syndrome"...where yer belly Dunlop over yer belt buckle...along with short arms, may have trouble reaching the crossdraw gun.)

For B-Western, you may consider a drop-loop buscadero rig (where the holsters hang from slots in the lower edge of the belt, but these were not widely used, if at all before Hollyweird thunk up the style. Holsters that have the belt loop going over the TOP of the belt are more authentic to the Old West. Military-style, butt forward on the right side, require a twist or "Cavalry" draw, which needs to be practiced to avoid breaking the 170 plane. There WERE non-regulation, butt rear holsters used by some troops, at the company commander's discretion (or encouragement), and, indeed it was NOT unknown for troops to utilize civilian holsters and belts, in the field. Capt. Fechet, Commanding Co. G, 8th Cav, for example, designed his own butt-rear, open-top holster, had his saddler sergeant, William Miller fabricate a bunch, and apparently issued them to his troops.

Hope this helps! Happy Chanukah! Merry Christmas! Happy Kwanze! (As applicable.) Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :unsure:

Your Pard,

Guest diablo slim shootist

By the way we are probably your closest club

and we love to help greenhorns -we even have a special group

of newbies which we will coach to help you git better faster!

Diablo Slim -Range Officer-Texas Ten Horns-Greenville Tx

Archived