SASS Wire Forum

.38 wax bullets

I heated the wax combination in a pan about 1/2 deep. I would use the cartridge to cut the wax into itself. I would prime them after stuffing the wax. Always used the cheapest primers I could find. Brass is okay if it was originally shot in the same gun.

JMHO

I use commercial 38 cal wax bullets. They ricochet off the plywood targets, so set the targets at an angle to you.

Drill out the flash holes to just under the primer pocket diameter. You'll need all the primer power you can get, and if you don't drill out the flash holes the primer will unseat and lock up the cylinder.

Even then, occasionally I'll experience a 'squib' where the wax bullet doesn't clear the barrel.

Have a dowel rod handy to push the bullets clear of the barrel. When the grandson stacked up a couple of bullets in the barrel, I used a heat gun to heat the barrel just enough to soften the wax and make it easier to push the bullets out. Then cleaned the bore with a brush to remove wax fragments.

Didn't see any difference between standard and magnum primers.

I tried a bit of powder behind the wax bullet, didn't make any difference. Didn't want to load the case because of neighborhood noise.

Thanks Guys. I did buy 1,000 wax bullets from http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/ I shot a few in my garage, it was a blast. I do need to drill out the flash holes. They suggest their brass with use of shotshell primers.

Howdy Rick!!!

Archived