SASS Wire Forum

. . . . PROJECT . . .

Cool.

Question is why?

The front of the building will be an accurate replica of "Soapy Smith's Saloon" . . but the building will have multiple uses as a set. ( There were 14 film produtions at White Horse Ranch this year ). With the "JEFF SMITHS PARLOR" sign removed the building can be coverted into a office for Sherriff, Doctor, Dentist, etc. by putting up other signs, with a canvas awning and a table of vegables out front it becomes a grocerie store, with a false bay window in front of the window and some crates and luggage on the sidewalk it becomes a railroad station. In all a very useful addition to the available "sets" in the "town" and at the same time is a replica of Jeff's great grandfathers last establishment in Skagway back in 1898.

Is the town owned by one of the movie Studios, or independent and rented out?

Are you making this for a particular upcoming film?

The "White Horse Ranch" is owned by "German Pete" who is retired and is a reenactor. The ranch is utilized by both reenanctors for just pain FUN and by fiilming companies that rent the town and hire people they need for small parts and background in verious western productions.

Lots more about it here : "White Horse Ranch".

The "set" I'm building is not for any specific production. The current "Jeff Smith" ( grandson of the notorious "Jefferson Smith" ) is a friend of mine and a fixture at the ranch. He'd invited me to come up and join in the gerneral fun that goes on at the ranch. He'd written and published the book about his infamous ancestor and was moaning about his desire to build a duplicate of the "parlor" that was in Skagway. So . . being handy at designing and building stuff . . . I took dimentions off of a number of old photos and designed the framing for the replica. . . and we are building it. And having FUN. Which is what the ranch is about. Renting out to film companies just provides income for more construction and more FUN. :)

Wearing guns is normal apparel at the ranch. Shooting blanks is acceptable social behavior. There is also a "live fire range" on the property. Surrounding land is BML and vacant so making lots of loud BANGS is no problem. :FlagAm:

I got me another little project going on . . .

. . . . so for those interested in such things . . .

ya can have a look-see over . . . . . HERE. :FlagAm:

Wolffies... projects.. I love projects.. lol.. So, a facade is what you are building? I think you need to build the whole darn thing, it would give you something to do for a longer period of time.

Wolfgang, sounds like my kind of place! And my kind of project. When I was maybe 12 my mom designed and we built our cabin up in the mountains. When my kids were little, I designed and built them a playhouse in the back yard, we call it the "kid cabin"

Wolffies... projects.. I love projects.. lol.. So, a facade is what you are building? I think you need to build the whole darn thing, it would give you something to do for a longer period of time.

Deja , . . . I am building the "whole thing" . . . just a little bit each week.

Whut is up is the front up to the 8 ftl level that is the top of the windows ( with only a little bit of the siding on it) . . . it will be 12 ft tall. We stood it up becuz there are bus loads of tourists from France coming in to the ranch each Thursday and Friday and it'd be a "set under construction" for them. Next week we'll lay it down while I continue with the rest of the "front". . then I'll proceed on the back part of it. Jeff Smith can start painting the front while I'm building more. :FlagAm:

There is a French Tour Company that does bus tours around the U.S. . . they have a deal with the ranch that they have a bus load or folks arrive a bit before noon on both Thursday and Friday, . . . the tourists get a "shoot 'em up western show" with the bad guys robbing the bank and the than shot buy the "good guys". . . a show about how movies are made, . . and then are fed lunch. A good deal for the "Ranch" and they say the French Tourists love it. ;)

Archived