SASS Wire Forum

Who will be the first Company

It's been 100 years of turning out the same basic design. Who will introduce the first NEW 2011 version of the 1911?

The 1911 has stood the test of time! There have been a lot of automatics made with "ideas" that came from the 1911, some survived some didn't and the jury is still out on some.

IMHO the 1911 is a true classic and will survive forever.

Blackfoot :rolleyes:

I think I am seeing a trend here, if it aint broke......!!!

Yeah - the 1911 and the Ma Deuce. If they ain't broke...

With the exception of the .45 ACP M1911 pistol, the M2 has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory. :rolleyes::wacko:

Evenin Cap Check this out http://www.rockislandauction.com/_uploads/...JZZ1-Z-F1-H.jpg recently sold a minty Singer 1911 A1 for a astounding 166,750.00, also see http://www.rockislandauction.com/ Heck the factory engraved New Haven Arms Henry rifle only brought 103,500.00 http://www.rockislandauction.com/_uploads/...LPY3-V-F2-H.jpg I know martial 1911A1's have been going up but 166 Thousand dollars. Read a blurb in the Maine Auction News,it had been issued to USAAC,to nobody famous in particular and I guess not used much. Geeze 166 Thousand Dollars! Adios Sgt. Jake

The Remington Rand manufactured 1911A1 I have is literally the pistol my Dad taught me to shoot with, was my concealed carry for years and would still be the go to gun of choice for me if it weren't for the one flaw that it had, which has rendered it a paperweight until I can afford to get it repaired; no firing pin safety! I believe it is the Series 70 that corrected that one problem, and all subsequent models since then (by every manufacturer, I believe) has incorporated that design change.

When I get mine fixed (sending it to Mark Krebs, as soon as I can afford it, man is a genius!), it will be restored to original sights and trigger, then I may be trying my hand at the Wild Bunch type shoots!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
Yeah - the 1911 and the Ma Deuce. If they ain't broke...

With the exception of the .45 ACP M1911 pistol, the M2 has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory. :blink:;)

Jack,

Not taking anything away from either the 1911 or the Ma Duece which I cut my teeth on in the Corps, but isn't the Smith & Wesson Model 10 Military & Police Revolver the one gun that has been used longer of any small arm in the U.S. Military?

It made its debut in 1899 and was adopted by the U.S. Military in 1902. I seen them in the Corps for years. Recently I was told by an Armourer (who just retired in the last few years) that in some parts of the Services that it still being issued. He said the Model 10 remains in production today.

The Remington Rand manufactured 1911A1 I have is literally the pistol my Dad taught me to shoot with, was my concealed carry for years and would still be the go to gun of choice for me if it weren't for the one flaw that it had, which has rendered it a paperweight until I can afford to get it repaired; no firing pin safety! I believe it is the Series 70 that corrected that one problem, and all subsequent models since then (by every manufacturer, I believe) has incorporated that design change.

When I get mine fixed (sending it to Mark Krebs, as soon as I can afford it, man is a genius!), it will be restored to original sights and trigger, then I may be trying my hand at the Wild Bunch type shoots!

Great gun get it repaired fast! I have a remington rand from 1944. I love the gun and it will stay in my familly forever. does anyone own a 9mm 1911? I was considering buyin one.

Why change the best designed auto pistol in history? JM Browning got it right the first time...

There is nothing to change...A Modern 1911 I guess would actually be a polymer, double stack, Double action

pistol like a Glock, S&W M&P, H&K,SIG, etc......That's what the 1911 morphed into in the 21st century

Series 80 Colt introduced the firing pin safety (not series 70). Not all that many folks have the opinion that the firing pin safety is worth having. All studies I know of have never been able to make a 1911 fire when it does not have a firing pin safety in anything like a real drop or impact scenario.

If you are not shooting a 1911A1 because it has no firing pin safety, you have been scared senseless by the lawyers, in my opinion.

And, to correct another misconception, several guns are being built currently with the Series 70 firing assembly, including one Colt model and the Armscor guns, at the minimum.

Good luck, GJ

Modernized versions of the 1911 area already out there. Springfield sells tons. They also sell tons of the MilSpec and GI. Go buy one of the new ones, or STI, or a double stack Para, if that is what you want. Personally, I don't. Nobody but the Colt factory will probably care about the 100 year anniversary of the 1911; well, except millions of satisfied users like us!

Hmmm, JMB's birthday in January 21st. Maybe we should all have a Wild Bunch shoot on Jan 21st in 2011. That would be a Friday. Official permission is granted to observe it on January 22nd.

GJ

Series 80 Colt introduced the firing pin safety (not series 70). Not all that many folks have the opinion that the firing pin safety is worth having. All studies I know of have never been able to make a 1911 fire when it does not have a firing pin safety in anything like a real drop or impact scenario.

If you are not shooting a 1911A1 because it has no firing pin safety, you have been scared senseless by the lawyers, in my opinion.

And, to correct another misconception, several guns are being built currently with the Series 70 firing assembly, including one Colt model and the Armscor guns, at the minimum.

Good luck, GJ

+1

I Agree

Colt has already reintroduced the Series 70 action in several of their newer 1911's(If they were dangerous, Colt would have not reintroduced the Series 70)...I shoot almost exclusively Series 70 Colt 1911's and they pose absolutely no safety problems.I carry mine cocked and locked always.The Series 80 came out in the 1980's as a corporate response to Imagined Legal and liability issues without the firing pin safety..not because the Series 70 was dangerous or needed 'modernizing'

It would be nice if they made a premium grade 1911 (or any other model) for Lefties. You know, magazine release, safety and slide release buttons on the right side of the frame. Yep, I know, you can get an amidexours (sp) safety put on for extra cost. Oh yes, and the port pointed to the left so the brass doesn't fly in front of your face all the time. I understand that some company some time ago did do just that but where are they now?

To spend premium dollars on a gun where you have to compromise your grip and functionality just isn't appealing to me. Kind of like purchasing a sports car and having to enter/exit the drivers side via the passenger door and crawling over the gear shift every time .

And then who will be the 1st Company to introduce a Broomhandle when the Wild Bunch allow firearms are modified

Might want to read what some dude from Texas wants to do in the Letters section of the current American Rifleman

'After all, it was in a 1915 movie' ... what a joke

It would be nice if they made a premium grade 1911 (or any other model) for Lefties. You know, magazine release, safety and slide release buttons on the right side of the frame. Yep, I know, you can get an amidexours (sp) safety put on for extra cost. Oh yes, and the port pointed to the left so the brass doesn't fly in front of your face all the time. I understand that some company some time ago did do just that but where are they now?

To spend premium dollars on a gun where you have to compromise your grip and functionality just isn't appealing to me. Kind of like purchasing a sports car and having to enter/exit the drivers side via the passenger door and crawling over the gear shift every time .

Randall, the company that built the left hand 1911 in the late '70s and early '80s. Was a mirror image.

Modernized versions of the 1911 area already out there. Springfield sells tons. They also sell tons of the MilSpec and GI. Go buy one of the new ones, or STI, or a double stack Para, if that is what you want. Personally, I don't. Nobody but the Colt factory will probably care about the 100 year anniversary of the 1911; well, except millions of satisfied users like us!

Hmmm, JMB's birthday in January 21st. Maybe we should all have a Wild Bunch shoot on Jan 21st in 2011. That would be a Friday. Official permission is granted to observe it on January 22nd.

GJ

Garrison

There is a WB shoot on January 21, 2011

"Southwest Territorial Championship"

Shootout at the Butterfield Trail

January 20-21, 2011

Las Cruces, NM

I've got a Colt Model of 1918 which I really enjoy. I shoot it right handed. I'm a southpaw and have always found it awkward to shoot lefty.

If I win the lottery a Randall will be in the gun safe. :FlagAm:

A good compromise for me is the Para LDA with an amidexterous safety. It just seems to "fit my hand" better than than the Colt.

SQQ

Actually, the first "modernized" version of the 1911 was introduced by Colt as the 1911A1. Since then there have been left handed guns, double stack guns, double action guns etc. by various companies, not to mention all the different mods such as beavertail grip safeties, extended slide and mag releases, collet bushings, bull barrels and checkering and serations about everywhere.

I'd say this cow is already out of the barn.

Browning is bringing out a slightly smaller 1911 .22...I can't wait to get my hands on one! There a flood of new 1911s on the way to the market, BTW. Para makes an excellent 9mm 1911, the Commander-sized LTC...super gun! I would have to say my favorite 1911 is a GUNSITE S&W Scandium framed lightweight Commander .45 overhauled by Wayne Novak ( including his "Answer" mainspring/grip safety replacement).

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Not new, but another nice entry to the 1911 WB family is the EMF Regent 1911-A1. A couple of local pards bought one when we started having WB matches. Made in Turkey, then they are gone through by a gunsmith in Tn., very nice.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/REGENT-1911-A1-c279.htm

Jefro

The Singer 1911 that went for $166,000 was one of only 500 made(I think that figure is correct), all were high polished blue and few survived the war, at least that anyone is admitting. I believe they were issued to Naval officers. That selling price may bring some out of the woodwork.

As a fellow lefty - I am confused.

Other than the safety, 1911's are set up for lefty operation from the get go.

Especially if you are shooting "Traditional" category.

Ever watch a right hander engage a mag release or slide lock? Talk about compromising their grip.

The gun is rolled over at some weird angle and then the gun has to be rolled back.

For a lefty, it is all in the trigger finger.

Finger back - release the mag.

Finger up and forward - release the slide lock.

Finger back on the trigger.

The sights NEVER have to move and can remain on target thru the entire process.

Throw an ambi safety on there and you are set.

As for the direction that the brass gets thrown? That's personal.

If I am looking at sights and targets - I never notice the brass.

The Singer 1911 that went for $166,000 was one of only 500 made(I think that figure is correct), all were high polished blue and few survived the war, at least that anyone is admitting. I believe they were issued to Naval officers. That selling price may bring some out of the woodwork.

I guess I'll have to tell my friend Snake Oil Johnny Sass #42,xxx about that selling price. His Dad was in WWll and when getting discharged was able to buy two Singers. One (1) he carried through the war is serial S800,009 and (2) was a new in the box

serial #S800,012. It's still new in the box with paper wrapped around it. Nice!!!! He has shot #9, but has no plans to shoot #12.

Big Jake 1001

Great gun get it repaired fast! I have a remington rand from 1944. I love the gun and it will stay in my familly forever. does anyone own a 9mm 1911? I was considering buyin one.

Actually, my father has a Commander, SS, in 9mm, but he won't sell it for love nor money (I tried, LOL!) Beautiful piece, and one of those things that will more then likely be passed down in the family, but most likely go to my Sister, since I got the .45.

Good luck, GJ

I don't know what they are doing to simulate it, but I can tell you exactly what causes it, and it is a hard enough hit to the muzzle, exactly like when it gets dropped on a concrete floor muzzle down. It discharge when I was unholstering, front sight hung up on my gunsmithing apron and it pulled right out of my hand. Landed about 6" in front of my foot, and by God's own grace, the slug went straight into the floor and none of us present (there were 3 of us in the room). Thumb safety was engaged, it ripped a piece of the slide out where the safety engaged and is locked half way to the rear, with not enough room to get the spent casing out. It is going to need a good $1200 or more in work, including some micro-welding, which is why I am sending it to Mark, as he has the ability to do all this and built his reputation in the custom 1911 field many years ago (not to mention someone I have the honor of calling a friend).

I will go right back to carrying and shooting this when it is repaired, but for personal carry I am actually using a Makarov (East German), until Old Slab Sides is fixed.

Archived