SASS Wire Forum

Henry rifle

Yul Catchum

I don't know anyone who shoots a Henry rifle so I'm asking, are they well made?

I'd love to have something that resembles an original Henry (the old .44 rimfire) but Sweet Mudda of Mercy the prices of even the replicas is just ridiculous. I was day dreaming about removing the forearm and using one of these new fangled henrys.

Might get a little warm on the fingers but It would be fun, provided the firearm is well made and can be had in a long barrel and magazine version.

Dusty, that's what I'd really like to have but the prices are kinda rich for my blood. I was asking about the HENRY that is American made, has the brass frame and loading lever like a .22 rifle. They make the little .22's, a 45LC and a .44 mag. Maybe sell soemthing like a cricket...?

Brass plated casting.... and that means..., uh?

Are they as strong as the steel framed Pumas, or Marlins? I know squat about them.

Dusty, that's what I'd really like to have but the prices are kinda rich for my blood. I was asking about the HENRY that is American made, has the brass frame and loading lever like a .22 rifle. They make the little .22's, a 45LC and a .44 mag. Maybe sell soemthing like a cricket...?

Howdy Yul. Based on what I've seen at our local matches, it seems to depend on the caliber. The .22s seem to be decent rifles (I liked the one I shot), but the larger calibers appear prone to problems like jams.

The other thing I see periodically is the magazine tube follower tends to launch forward of the firing line. It's a spring loaded tube that some shooters lose control of when loading, and some launch under recoil from firing. It appears the shooter has to be really careful about getting the tube retaining pin in its notch.

Most comments on the Wire tend to be unfavorable, but a few like them. You might try doing a search over there to see if there any recent threads.

Yul; The Uberti 1860 Henry is like the Henry's of the Civil War, except in 44-40, or 45 Colt not .44 rim-fire. They are made in Italy and are nothing like the U.S. made HENRY "Big Boy" in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. Henry Arms is in New York and makes a blue .22 rim-fire and a Yellow Boy. They have a brass plated cast frame and not a machined steel frame.

You might be confusing the two of them. The Henry from Italy are the ones with no forearm and have no loading gate, they load like the originals. Look for a used one for sale on the classifieds. Most would say don't buy a "Big Boy" Just sayin'

Big Jake 1001

The missus and I both started SASS with Henry Big Boys in .45 Colt. Had the exact same problem with both of them, the design of the extractor was bad causing it to fly off into the stratosphere. Usually in the middle of a stage. Called Henry and they sent two brand new, modified bolts at not charge. Guns worked flawlessly ever after. They're most definitely not the fastest guns out there but I like the way they look and wouldn't lose a second's sleep if I ever needed one in the future.

Yul,

I've had mine going on 4 years now. My Big Boy was a Christmas gift from my wife, and I've used it as a main match rifle for both my wife and myself, and used it to hunt with for the past 2 years. I've shot everything from sub-sonic cowboy loads to Buffalo Bore hunting ammo traveling at 1500+ fps, and all this without a single glitch. The best part of the Henry is the EXCEPTIONAL customer service, you ask a question on the website and the President of the company is the one to respond.

BSD

I don't know anyone who shoots a Henry rifle so I'm asking, are they well made?

I'd love to have something that resembles an original Henry (the old .44 rimfire) but Sweet Mudda of Mercy the prices of even the replicas is just ridiculous. I was day dreaming about removing the forearm and using one of these new fangled henrys.

Might get a little warm on the fingers but It would be fun, provided the firearm is well made and can be had in a long barrel and magazine version.

I got a Henry 1860 Lever action, military in 44-40. No woodin' forestock, magazine feed.

Uberit nailed dis one good. Not too much gold dust.

Archived