SASS Wire Forum

Pranks Involving Loaded Guns

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

I worked for DuPont where horseplay was a firing offense. Every day is dealing with stuff that will burn you, blow you up or poison you. Messing around gets people hurt. Dealing with guns is no different.

Doing something to a gun which will confuse the shooter is flat dangerous. We have many layers of safety, and every time you take one away, you're flirting with getting someone hurt.

However, funny stuff can be done. I've never saw it, but putting a rock on a knockdown to keep it up would be funny if the shooter is both experienced and "in the mood." Letting an experienced shooter go to the line and start a stage with the revolvers sitting on the loading table was flat funny because it was self inflicted. Giving him or her a re-shoot is appropriate. However, upset people make mistakes and we all should be sensitive to our fellow shooters. And, using it to pick on a newbie as an "initiation" is a great way to extinguish the sport.

In short, let's have some fun, but don't give people penalties or, even worse, risk lead going where we don't want it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather folks ask before they touch my guns -- loaded or not. I do the same for others. The nitwit that started after my beautiful Francis with a pocket knife when the hull jumped the extractor was real sorry he tried that. I let out a howl that sounded like he had stabbed ME.

We have a lot of fun at a match but messing with somebody's guns ain't funny.

Speaking of black powder rounds.I remember a time when Larry Cowin (Durango Kid) had bee shooting black powder at a match & switched over to smokless.First round out of his 97 blew it up . Shows what might happen if someone slips in a odd round on someone..Largo..

Hello Folks,

I'm so glad to see that so many of you have some "common sense."

There are so many bad things that can come of messing with some one's guns. Inappropriate ammo can be dangerous. Someone could get hurt, maimed, or killed.

IROT what if that had totally thrown Bud off and his next stage was a train wreck, would you want to be responsible for doing that to someone?

What if the "messee" did not think it funny and lost his/her temper. Who wants to deal with a fight?

Mike, putting the safety on someone's gun may not be unsafe. What if it wasn't the first gun and the person did not get a reshoot. That is just not right.

Slim, anyone who knowingly let someone start a stage without all their guns, is just wrong. I totally agree with your comment, "upset people make mistakes."

Yes, this is supposed to be fun; but some folks have fun with competing and they should have the right to maintain their focus while shooting a stage.

The thought of some of this stuff makes me sick.

Regards,

Allie Mo

IROT what if that had totally thrown Bud off and his next stage was a train wreck, would you want to be responsible for doing that to someone?

Since it was Bud, then he would have won the match by only 30 seconds...... I wouldn't do such a thing to most anyone else and I wouldn't touch anybody else's loaded firearms no matter who they were.

SASS has moved from being fun....to being a sport...to being a competition, at least for some of the pards on our ranges.

Good luck, GJ

May I guess some of us things that move was not in our intrest, to be competitive that is?

The idea of any kind of prank or sabotage at a shooting event is appalling to me. If someone has a weapon, they need to be putting 100% of their attention to the safe handling of that weapon. Anything unexpected or out of the ordinary creates a distraction, even for people who are not the intended victims.

As for actually tampering with another person's weapon, I find that beyond the pale. I would interpret that as act of hostility, and I would think twice before attempting to provoke someone who has a weapon in their hands.

-Solo Sam

Hello Folks,

Mike, putting the safety on someone's gun may not be unsafe. What if it wasn't the first gun and the person did not get a reshoot. That is just not right.

The thought of some of this stuff makes me sick.

Regards,

Allie Mo

this was done only amung close shooting SASS friends, in good humor, and at small monthly matches

.......................... back before we were giving way big prize $$

I only brang it up, cuz you asked on the wire

&

to show how SASS has changed (be it-good-badd-or-indifferent)

I have pranks during top gun shoot offs, like we agree ahead of time to

shoot each others targets, what a hoot

team shoot once we agreed (dam the time and 1st place) lest make a smiley face on the freshly painted target

Mileage always varies

thats what makes it funn

has SASS changed that much

from floks not even considering a re-shoot

to folks demanding a reshoot for not grabbing their shotgun shells perfect?

The idea of any kind of prank or sabotage at a shooting event is appalling to me. If someone has a weapon, they need to be putting 100% of their attention to the safe handling of that weapon. Anything unexpected or out of the ordinary creates a distraction, even for people who are not the intended victims.

As for actually tampering with another person's weapon, I find that beyond the pale. I would interpret that as act of hostility, and I would think twice before attempting to provoke someone who has a weapon in their hands.

-Solo Sam

:) take a breath :FlagAm:

laugh for a few seconds

http://www.zappinternet.com/video/bulQcaKn...ww.adnstream.tv

this was done only amung close shooting SASS friends, in good humor, and at small monthly matches

.......................... back before we were giving way big prize $$

Good humor is fine with me, if it doesn't involve messing with someone. What one thinks is funny another may not. Don't make me pretend to be amused to be a "good sport."

I only brang it up, cuz you asked on the wire No problem, you've got your opinions and I've got mine. We're still friends.

&

to show how SASS has changed (be it-good-badd-or-indifferent)

I have pranks during top gun shoot offs, like we agree ahead of time to

shoot each others targets, what a hoot

team shoot once we agreed (dam the time and 1st place) lest make a smiley face on the freshly painted target

Guess I should edit my title to Pranks Involving Another Person's Loaded Guns :FlagAm::)

Mileage always varies

thats what makes it funn

has SASS changed that much

from floks not even considering a re-shoot

to folks demanding a reshoot for not grabbing their shotgun shells perfect?IMHO this is comparing apples and oranges to this thread and is dilluting the message I was trying to discuss.

Still :ph34r: ya and the voices! Just don't agree with you this time.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie,

I think the title of this thread is just fine and I'm glad you started it. Thank you

Mike,

At almost every match I have ever been to, there is alot of joking around before, during and after the match. I am a jokester and pull practical jokes on people from time to time. There is a certain line at which a practical joke ceases to be funny anymore and could have the potential for a dangerous situation. Things like sand in shotgun barrels and mis-indexing a pistol certainly carry more risk than engaging a lever safety on a rifle. While all of these "jokes" may have been in good nature (at least I hope so), it is just a bad idea to joke around with a firearm.......loaded or not. That is the point that Allie, myself and others are trying to get across. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I am not chastising anybody for a "joke" they may have pulled. I just want them to think about the possiblities of what could go wrong the next time they think of fooling around with someone elses guns.

Sun

Allie,

I think the title of this thread is just fine and I'm glad you started it. Thank you

Mike,

At almost every match I have ever been to, there is alot of joking around before, during and after the match. I am a jokester and pull practical jokes on people from time to time. There is a certain line at which a practical joke ceases to be funny anymore and could have the potential for a dangerous situation. Things like sand in shotgun barrels and mis-indexing a pistol certainly carry more risk than engaging a lever safety on a rifle. While all of these "jokes" may have been in good nature (at least I hope so), it is just a bad idea to joke around with a firearm.......loaded or not. That is the point that Allie, myself and others are trying to get across. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I am not chastising anybody for a "joke" they may have pulled. I just want them to think about the possiblities of what could go wrong the next time they think of fooling around with someone elses guns.

Sun

allie and sun

I know what yer saying, and understand the reason for the post

.............................I shared my simple and safe things I saw in the past

I love the post

I am shocked at some of the stuff listed

truely i am

Due to this kind of issue and another issue where folks attempt to "fix" a faulty gun at the unloading table even before a shooter has finished his stage makes me think that a rule change to say something about touching or fondling another shooters guns at the loading or unloading tables, time has come (wow, that was a long sentence of sorts).

Due to this kind of issue and another issue where folks attempt to "fix" a faulty gun at the unloading table even before a shooter has finished his stage makes me think that a rule change to say something about touching or fondling another shooters guns at the loading or unloading tables, time has come (wow, that was a long sentence of sorts).

Do you REALLY want to open that can of worms? I ask that because if you tried to institute that rule the invariable question that would come up would be, where do you draw the line? You specified the loading and unloading table, why only those places?

For instance, you have a stage with a LOT of movement, including downrange. In order to keep the posse moving and finish the stage in a timely manner, once the shooter moves away from his rifle/shotgun a person carries the long gun(s) to the unloading table. I see this happen all the time and consider it a courtesy to the shooter. I greatly appreciate it when someone helps me like that. You gonna outlaw that? If not, why? Again, where do you draw the line?

I've heard Madd Mike mention s slippery slope more times than I can count. Seems a rule like the one you're suggesting would be ripe for just that to happen. The other thing to remember is that you can't legislate morality. Society has proven this time and time again. (Although our politicians don't seem to have learned the lesson. :) )

My suggestion would be to just teach people what you think is the right and wrong way to do things. Just like Palo Verde did for me. No new rules needed. If they don't agree with the lesson they'll more than likely find a different club to shoot with, problem solved.

We should rename the WAHR.... "LET'S MAKE A RULE" :)

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195
My suggestion would be to just teach people what you think is the right and wrong way to do things.

+1

Hello,

If anyone who read this thread thinks I posted to "stir the pot," I am deeply offended. :FlagAm: (You know who you are.)

I first read about this on a thread about fun at a match. Not everyone thinks this is fun. That type of behavior should not be encouraged. Posting something like that on the Wire is irresponsible, no matter how funny the victim thought it was. Folks could get ideas for pranks that don't sit well with the "prankee."

I act silly a lot :) just not in situations with loaded guns or in a destructive manner.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Of the stuff I've read here, what scares me the most is re-indexing a cylinder on a revolver. Might be OK on a Ruger, but on my percussions, you've put the hammer down on a cap. Or my Uberti SAA, you've just put the firing pin on a primer. That's seriously dangerous. Next would be filling a barrel with dirt.

As far as carrying my rifle or shotgun to the unloading table, please do. Like others said, just common curtesy. When working the unloading table, I often offer to carry a rifle or shotgun to the shooter's cart, esp. if it's a lady shooter. Notice I said, offer. I don't just grab one and go. And I won't do it if the next shooter is already waiting in line to unload.

If I'm on the unloading table and someone brings a malfunctioned gun, I don't mess with it. I keep it safe until the shooter comes down. I'll offer to help if he needs it, but I'm not a gunsmith and have no business trying to solve the problem.

I remember one time I made a shooter mad while at the unloading. You'd have to know him to appreciate it. His alias is NOT Mr. Perfect, but probably should be. Anyway he had a squib, and the bullet lodged 'twixt the cylinder and barrel, locking it up. I didn't pay much attention to the gun, other than noticed it was stainless. When he came to the table, I said, "I didn't mess with it 'cause I don't know much about Rugers." Boy, was that the wrong thing to say. He couldn't look down his nose, since I was taller than him, but he sure let me know he only shot honest to God Genuine Colts and Rugers were beneath him. For the rest of the match we all prayed he'd have another squib, just to watch him throw another fit. :FlagAm:

And Allie Mo, you can rest assured if we ever share a posse, I will not put a chicken feather shotgun load in your shell belt. ;)

Someone else's loaded guns should "NEVER" be touched without permission, or unless a "Safety" issue was involved. This is just bad news. There should never be any kind of pranks around loaded guns. This is just asking for a bad day. It's not a matter of "if" something will happen, just "when" it will. IMHO

u mean to tell me if u and a very good shooting friend of yours are both at a monthly match having a good time goofdin off together, enjoying our sport, that u would not simply slip a couple black powder shotshells in his box? or throw some blanks into his pistols? what is the harm in a few simple pranks? not effecting anyones safety and not keeping anyone from that precious cadillac we all shoot for? so what is the big deal?

Ivory Jack,

I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff happened at Coto, Cajon, Pala, Rainbow etc. back in the day. Like the Madd One said it was usally involving the safety on a Marlin or an IGA (had both of those done to me.) But it was all always among close friends at a monthly shoot so we did not care. JD Walker asked me to stage his '73 on a stage that started out with the rifle first and instead of staging his loaded '73, I staged an empty one just like it. Reshoots were given, no time contraints when there are only 20 to 60 shooters at a monthly.

P.S. Ask Marshal Law about rawhide lacing and spurs sometime. That cowboy can hop from one spot to the next quick as a wink!

MM -

You and I started in the same year, probably in the same month. Times haven't changed all that much. At the 4 clubs I shoot with (and I was a co-founder of one of them) it was never okay to mess with a cowboy's firearms, funnin' or not. I reckon things were different in your territory.

QUOTE (Madd Mike #8595 @ Dec 1 2010, 12:07 PM)

I have red allies post, and NONE of the answers

back in the olden days when I started (some hate that phrase)

the worst prank of loaded guns, was

put the safety on , on a Marlin

put the lever safety on, on a 73 (them 73's waz very rare back then)

put the safety on a double (before most were disableling them)

all this was done in fun at the loading table

reshoots were unherd of

(yes we wanted to win back then, but this was done not to win, but to have fun)

but win what,,,,,,,,,,,,I am talken about monthy matches, not above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the stories were more fun than the winning

wow

how times have changed

u mean to tell me if u and a very good shooting friend of yours are both at a monthly match having a good time goofdin off together, enjoying our sport, that u would not simply slip a couple black powder shotshells in his box? or throw some blanks into his pistols? what is the harm in a few simple pranks? not effecting anyones safety and not keeping anyone from that precious cadillac we all shoot for? so what is the big deal?

Why would anyone ever want BP in one of their smokeless guns or the other things you describe, one of us would be leaving the match. Many would not think it funny and you would know it immediately. We take our guns and ammo quite seriously. Goofing off around loaded guns is how folks get injured, didn't anyone ever teach you any gun manners?

Pulp, I've intentionally shot pink chicken feather loads and Doodymite. Hubby, AKA gun boy, was not amused about the CF loads as the powder used was very clingy and he had to clean my gun when it might not have needed it. He didn't say anything about the Doodymite as I was shooting BP and the guns had to be cleaned anyway. I would be mad if someone snuck a BP shell in on me when I was shooting smokeless as hubby would have to clean the guns. He would probably have serious words with anyone who snuck a shell in on him or touched his guns.

Dear MJ, I know you are a good-natured young man. However, trust me, not all folks would take a prank well. I got a PM from a very fun, party-loving shooter who would seem to be the perfect target for a prank. NOT! You just never know. It's best to not take a chance.

I'm sorry if anyone who has ever pulled a "harmless prank" is offended by this thread. You and your friends might have had fun. The problem is that not all are as receptive to pranks, even at a monthly match. It is best to not take a chance on a bad outcome.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

No need to keep apologizing Ms. Mo - you are not stirring the pot! This thread is a reminder that bad things can go wrong with guns used as pranks. If others feel offended...well, too bad. Safety is safety - period!

GG ~ :)

Allie,

I'm not at all offended. Any pranks that have been played on me or by me were among friends that are close enough they are considered family.

None of them were destructive. Anything that will damage people and property is not funny.

One thing I find really funny though is the prank some folks play on themselves while shooting with me. I do not usually mark my black powder shotgun shells to identify them as such because I only reload shotgun shells for BP. I seem to dribble shells out of my belt because it is older and does not hold the shells as snugly as it should. Why people would pick up someone else's reloaded shells and stuff them in their belt is beyond me, maybe they just want to save a few cents. Well lets just say it's always easy to spot the smokeless shooter that picked up my shells!!! :)

I promise never to prank you on the shooting line Miss Mo, now matter how good of friends we become! Off the the line, well I still may get in trouble! :blink:

Best Regards,

Ethan

I'm sorry if anyone who has ever pulled a "harmless prank" is offended by this thread. You and your friends might have had fun. The problem is that not all are as receptive to pranks, even at a monthly match. It is best to not take a chance on a bad outcome.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

I bet the prankster that pulls pranks at a SASS match, never thought throught their prank to the point they are also jacking around the other shooters on the posse. The TO/spotters and everyone else is keyed up to 'safely' assist the shooter on the line. When the shooter on the receiving end of the prank has a louder/softer/smokier report from their ammo, or???? ...people take notice to see if there is a blown up gun or a squib or what the heck is happening and possible attmepting to stop the shooter. Many heart beats may have skipped. That alone causes unwarrented disturbance in the posse for that stage and perhaps other stages.

Snot Funny!

harmless prank

I leave a BP cartridge / shotgunn shell

on the unloading table from time to time

one BP round aint gunna hurt yer gun

and you learn who the ammo grabbers are

how many times have ya herd

NEVER shoot a round you know aint yers

harmless prank

I leave a BP cartridge / shotgunn shell

on the unloading table from time to time

one BP round aint gunna hurt yer gun

and you learn who the ammo grabbers are

how many times have ya herd

NEVER shoot a round you know aint yers

:angry: but...why even screw around like that? Why invite trouble?

GG ~ :lol:

Me and Old Top always bring extra gunz and ammo and if anybody needs a gun or a guest needs to be outfitted we happly will buckle them up. (my only cravat is that if they shoot my guns they shoot MY ammo, that way if they blow up the gun it is my fault not theirs)

That being said, I would NOT ever tolerate anyone (not even Old Top) to mess with my equipmenht. The jokes mentioned at the beginning are not the least bit funny to me.

So, I am good for a good laff and triks, but don't ever play around with my gunz and ammo.

thanks and good shooting

curley

There are three things my father taught me to leave alone, without permission from the owner; someone's vehicle, guns or lady. If I ever messed with any of those, I would honestly be expecting to get my butt handed to me (literally or figuratively), and would only have myself to blame for the result.

I cannot even comprehend how anyone would even think of doing that kind of nonsense.

Anyone who would do even the most innocous like setting a safety on, or move a sight should be barred for life.

Those engaging in dangerous stuff like filling barrels with dirt should be told they are barred for life just before the trap door falls.

There is absolutely no room for any kind of horse play on the firing range or as we have seen above even in a police office.

Bullets and blown up guns do not come with an eraser.

Call me a grouchy old grunt without a sense of humor.

I played a Prank on the TO once, I was shooting Smokeless but on the 3rd. stage of the day it called for one Pistol to be shot into an outhouse with 5 "Rats" on a cardboard backer .... Ya opened da Door and shot the Rats (with ketch-up pakages taped to the back of the black rats ) instead of my usual gun I slipped my 58 remmie loaded with black into my holster ......... When I opened up on those rats with that Full-Load 58 the TO did a Quick-step Backwards that would have been the envy of many a dancer ....

But I agree that messing with others Guns Is a NO Go !!!!

But making Un-expected Smoke can be Fun ......... Just make sure the TO has a sence of Humor .......

Jabez Cowboy

Archived