SASS Wire Forum

JAIL TERM:7 YEARS FOR LEGAL GUNS IN NEW JERSEY

Brother King, SASS #69031

How does a cowboy go from shoot to shoot in this state?

What happens if your on your way to a big shoot and you have say your main mach guns, back ups and a hand full of side mach guns a whole lot of ammo and you get pulled over and you tell the cop your a member of say "The Rochester Vigilante Committee" and you late for the meeting? Would they call out SWAT?

How does one go about transporting all these guns in one of these states?

and I thought my state of California was a communist country :FlagAm:

Easy. Everything in the trunk, out of sight, guns unloaded, and ammo separated. Just like going to another State.

If asked where you're going/where you're from, you say the truth, *Spending time with friends*.

Easy. Everything in the trunk, out of sight, guns unloaded, and ammo separated. Just like going to another State.

If asked where you're going/where you're from, you say the truth, *Spending time with friends*.

I know you're not giving legal advice BUT.... I drive a pickup truck to shoots. My gear goes in the back but my guns all go in the crew cab with the seats up; cased of course, ammo in ammo bins.

Then when I'm on a motorcycle tour my carry gun is in my vest or in non-reciprocal states in my saddlebags unloaded w/ a couple of speedloaders.

Now, I would never, ever in 100 years agree to be searched nor would I answer a question anymore than "spending time with friends" (I like that!) and my license (s) and registration say all the "FROM" any officer needs to know.

But, I got pulled over in a small border CO/OK town, Campo CO on my return from Comin' At Cha. Knowing that the laws in CO allow loaded and ready carry in any vehicle, I told the young Sgt. who looked at my CCW and asked if I had any guns with me, "YES". "How many, Sir?"

I counted off each with the brand and purpose (let's see 1911 for Wild Bunch.... 2 45 SAA's + backups for Main Match, etc) and when I got to 18 he laughed and said "That's enough, I get it. Just keep your hands on the wheel, Sir". Then he issued me a warning for 5 over, called his Commander and they're coming up for a SASS shoot this Spring.

Your mileage would probably vary a great deal in New Joisey. Like the sign says in Wyoming, "FOREVER WEST". :)

• 3 weeks later...

The question of vehicle searches came up here about a year or so ago. In the immortal words of Forty Rod: "Get a warrant or go to hell".

As far as the young man who became the inadvertent star of this little drama, I'd say he has a good case for claiming prosecutorial and judicial misconduct, malicious prosecution, and whatever else his attorney can drum up.

Worked real well against Nifong - the jackass in the Duke Lacrosse case. Got him disbarred and sued for $180,000,000.

I had to chuckle at the obvious bias in the article about Aitken's release, but I am glad to hear his sentence has been commuted. Seems New Jersey now has a governor that is actually worth a darn. Hopefully the commutation will translate to a full pardon so his rights are restored.

The Supreme Court has generally upheld warrantless searches of motor vehicles primarily due to the fact motor vehicles can be moved before a warrant can be obtained. English Common law i.e. castle doctine only applies to your home.

That said I agree that you should never agree to a warrantless search of any of your property. While it may not stop the search it may make a big difference when you go to trial.

The Supreme Court has generally upheld warrantless searches of motor vehicles primarily due to the fact motor vehicles can be moved before a warrant can be obtained. English Common law i.e. castle doctine only applies to your home.

That said I agree that you should never agree to a warrantless search of any of your property. While it may not stop the search it may make a big difference when you go to trial.

What? They sure don't hold up here in CO. YMMV... but no warrant and no probable cause makes it no case around here.

I have a lot of respect for Governor Christie, but in Aitken's case ... he did not go far enough. He only commuted the prison sentence. He did not Pardon Aitken's arrest. Yes, the commutation will present future case law but it does not wipe this silly gun law from the books of New Jersey

Trivia: Do you know the owning a sling shot in New Jersey is an illegal possession of a weapon?

What? They sure don't hold up here in CO. YMMV... but no warrant and no probable cause makes it no case around here.

My reading of the case is there was probable cause for the search by the fact the defendant had made sudicial statements. In Kansas this results in a 24 hour involuntary court ordered committment for a mental health examination. Woe to a LEO that ignored his mothers complaint only to have her son shoot somebodies else later.

New Jersey should be more like Washington. 6 1/2 year sentence for strangling a mother of 3 death in her own bed in the middle of the night, 2 year sentence for gunning down an unarmed man standing in the street with his arms raised in surrender, etc. Paroling cop killers.

Archived