SASS Wire Forum

JAIL TERM:7 YEARS FOR LEGAL GUNS IN NEW JERSEY

Brother King, SASS #69031

JAIL TERM FOR LEGAL GUNS IN NEW JERSEY

He's FREE! Thanks to Bear Saint Paw for the update.

While I'm outraged that NJ has such laws, it's a well known fact that the laws have been in place for many, many years.

Just like NY City's and Chicago's and Washington DC's anti-gun laws are well known.

I personally avoid such places.

We should all be grateful they removed such a dangerous criminal from the streets. It's top notch enforcement of the laws like this that are stopping criminals in their tracks... :lol:

Hollow points are actually illegal in New Jersey? Even California isn't that stupid.

Hollow points are actually illegal in New Jersey? Even California isn't that stupid.

Most things are illegal in New Jersey. :lol:

--Ranger Dave

sounds like a perfect set up to appeal several of the laws and to appeal the court findings in general. We aren't covered by the geneva convention against soft point bulltets ourside of the military, high cap magazines were finally permitted by the feds, and they have already indicated that if they adopt a ruling the states may not adopt a ruling in conflict and it doesn't pass the smell test. Looks like NJ may lose some of their long standing gun rules in a supreme court appeal. The supreme court has gone to great lengths to stress defense in their rulings thus far, soft point or hollow point bullets fit that perfectly. This guy needs a national group to step in and help pay for the appeals.

sounds like a perfect set up to appeal several of the laws and to appeal the court findings in general. We aren't covered by the geneva convention against soft point bulltets ourside of the military, high cap magazines were finally permitted by the feds, and they have already indicated that if they adopt a ruling the states may not adopt a ruling in conflict and it doesn't pass the smell test. Looks like NJ may lose some of their long standing gun rules in a supreme court appeal. The supreme court has gone to great lengths to stress defense in their rulings thus far, soft point or hollow point bullets fit that perfectly. This guy needs a national group to step in and help pay for the appeals.

It wasn't the "Geneva Convention" that prohibited soft point bullets, rather Declaration III of the 1899 Hague Convention, which the US never signed.

WHY DOES ANYONE CONSENT TO A VEHICLE SEARCH? STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

That's what I was thinking. Even if he had a trunk full of AK 47s, there was no reasonable suspicion of illegal activity to search the guy's trunk. He had very bad lawyers.

Guns are illegal in New Jersey, but apparently judges having fun with calves is not?

For reference, as I had to GOOGLE the meaning of the Great Sea Cow's query, you can't make this up: the judge in this case is the same judge that dismissed ...well... you just have to read this: JUDGE MORLEY NEW JERSEY.

:wub:;) And as has been suggested, where is the NRA? Is there a legal fund running for this guy someplace. Is there/ are there any COWBOYS in the great Garden State that have ANY idea what the heck is going on here? Looks are decieving, but this looks like a nice kid from a decent family. Is this kind of persecution OK because he's NOT 'of color'? :lol::angry:

The information provided in the news article is far from being complete. Legally owned firearms can be brought in to the state and no local PD is going to lock someone up just for that. Don't have enough details to understand exactly what happened. Perhaps Christie will come through but I wouldn't hold my breath. Hope I'm wrong.

Tex

I wonder about "high capacity" mags. How many is high capacity? these were handguns, right? just how big of a magazine(s) was he carrying? Single stack? Double stack?

Cash

Guns are illegal in New Jersey, but apparently judges having fun with calves is not?

lol......

Well, the didn't the Judge say there was no way to confirm that the calves were actually under duress? :lol:

:wub:;) And as has been suggested, where is the NRA? Is there a legal fund running for this guy someplace. Is there/ are there any COWBOYS in the great Garden State that have ANY idea what the heck is going on here? Looks are decieving, but this looks like a nice kid from a decent family. Is this kind of persecution OK because he's NOT 'of color'? :lol::angry:

Actually, there are a few things, there's a rally > http://www.nj2as.com/index.php?option=com_...ticle&id=21 and while the NRA as a national group might not be involved, the State Association (ANJRPC) is getting involved, and there's also online petitions for NJ's Gov Christie here > http://www.njcsd.org/joomla/index.php?opti...t&Itemid=68 and here > http://www.nagr.org/christiepetition.aspx?pid=1&r=

As for the backstory, basically all firearms, are illegal in NJ. But there are exemptions, for residents, and non residents becoming residents. Problem is, NJ Courts leave it up to the gun owner to *prove* the he/she falls into line with these exemptions. The Judge would not allow the jury to hear about these exemptions, nor allow them to be presented in anyway, shape, or form.

What are these exemptions? Guns are supposedly legal in your home, at the range, at the gunshop, at the gunsmith, and being secured in your vehicle to and from such places. Anything else is illegal without a NJ CCW, and good luck getting one of those. And stopping for gas during your trip knocks you out of exemption status, and don't even think of stopping to answer the call of nature.

lol......

Well, the didn't the Judge say there was no way to confirm that the calves were actually under duress? :angry:

Well, with this consorting with calves coinciding with the confiscation, I wondering whether we know all the details. For sure, they will milk it for all they can get out of it. :lol:

Then there is the story of the poor sap that got stoped for speeding in NJ and the officer noticed a hollow point bullet laying in the center console. No Gun, No Highcap mag ..........One bullet. Felony Posession.

Goodby Gun Rights.

Did I mention I'm Not going to New Jersy...............

Actually the more unreasonable the state law is, the better it is. On its face this should make it to the supreme court and NJ could lose all of it's gun laws in one fell swoop. It doesn't matter what treaty or convention made dum-dum bullets and soft point bullets illegal for warfare, they have never applied to civilians. National gun rights groups couldn't ask for a better forum to pull some anti-gun teeth, unless there is more to the story. They need to get in line to assist this guy, provide lawyers and ram it down the throat of the court and state. Bad cases make bad law, either way, and if this shocks the normal person it could REALLY hurt New Jersey when it hits a court that has already ruled that you are entitled to defense, that anything that makes that more difficult has to prove it is necessary and that it is a constituitonal right. I'll bet he never serves his sentence. Of course there may be Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story" involved but it doesn't look like it. The Judge's refusal to let the jury hear any evidence that didn't look good for the state only goes so far. Sooner or later in the appeals process you reach judges that are not activists, hopefully, and then the backlash can be something to behold. These appear to be the most draconian laws I have ever seen, and that is what you want for the early appeals for "reasonable control" to the SCOTUS......

UPDATE: Apparently the Gov of NJ is more reasonable than this ex-judge and the defendant will NOT be serving his sentence. I hope they don't drop the appeals as moot now. If they don't give his guns back he can still pursue those claims.

How does a cowboy go from shoot to shoot in this state?

What happens if your on your way to a big shoot and you have say your main mach guns, back ups and a hand full of side mach guns a whole lot of ammo and you get pulled over and you tell the cop your a member of say "The Rochester Vigilante Committee" and you late for the meeting? Would they call out SWAT?

How does one go about transporting all these guns in one of these states?

and I thought my state of California was a communist country :P

Well, with this consorting with calves coinciding with the confiscation, I wondering whether we know all the details. For sure, they will milk it for all they can get out of it. :P

He was lucky the calves were not hungry

When it comes to my No Travel list. Well, all States East of the Mississippi are on the list. No exceptions.

Never will I set my feet across that River again.

And I was Born in Indiana. Hello !

LD,

Of course you have a right to your opinion and self imposed travel restrictions but I think you are missing out on some good shoots and pards in some of the Eastern states.

I have lived in California and Texas and traveled extensively in the West but for friendly gun laws Kentucky is about as good as it gets. KY recognizes the CCW permits of all other states and the KY permit is good in 37 other states. Where I live all politicians, Rep. and Dem. run on pro-gun platforms if they have any hope of election. Gun use and ownership are part of the culture here and may be why the violent crime rate is so low. Also, only the state can make gun laws in KY, so there are no local gun ordnances to deal with. Also no magazine capacity laws or bullet restrictions, and open carry is legal. It is also legal to carry a loaded pistol in the glove compartment of your vehicle without a license. To top it off, the KY CCW license is known as a concealed deadly weapon license which means all deadly weapons from a pistol to a knife or a sword cane.

When you paint the entire Eastern US with one broad brush stroke, you are doing a lot of good folks and yourself a disservice IMHO but it is your loss.

Buck

Most things are illegal in New Jersey. :FlagAm:

--Ranger Dave

Everthing expect Snooki, who should be illegal in the other 49 states.

Archived