SASS Wire Forum

Hornady Projector owners some things I have learned

Tulsey, SASS#11236

I have found a few things that make using an old Hornady Projector/07 easier to use.

1. Open up the innner tube of the primer feeding system so instead of taking the shield and tube off to reload primers, you leave it in place and use a Dillon filler tube to drop the new primers into the Hornady tube. I don't know how often things were working fine with the Projector until I ran out of primers and removed everyting to re fill and then would have problems. The spring clip can move or can be placed back in the holder in such a way it will drag.

2. Use a Dillon plastic primer rod on the Hornady. It will help keep some downward pressure on the primers just like it does on a Dillon press plus it will lock the primer arm when you are out of primers making it easy to see when you are empty.

3. I quit using the lock in load powder funnels that supposedly expand the case at the same time and went back to using a seperate die for case expansion with the generic case activated part which ruins much fewer cases.

4. The RCBS powder measure works much better for me with the case activated system than the Hornady Deluxe measure. I don't have a lock and load powder measure, but the case activited system is set for it the same as the RCBS measures.

5. I added a little support underneath the shell bin and you could use the optional larger red bin from Hornady or a blue Dillon 550 bin or the same size from an office supply store.

6. Keep the ram clean and lubricated. The newer Lock N Load has grease zerts, but you would not believe how much easier the loader works if you have the ram clean and lubricated.

7. Replace the pill bottle spent primer catcher with a length of 5/16 clear tubing. This is something that comes with the Lock N Load and you can run the tubing down into whatever kind of catcher you want on the floor or directly into a trash can.

8. I painted the plate the Projector is mounted on blue so it feels more at home with the Dillon Square Deal and 550 mouinted next to it.

Archived