SASS Wire Forum

Springfield 1903 question

Beauregard Quitman

I just picked up a 1903 manufactured by Remington in Dec 1942. Now I'm new to the gun so I started doing research on it. It seems this rifle was manufactured just before they got rid of the front ladder-style sight on the barrel and put the peep sight on the receiver (it has the ladder-style sight). Does the A3 designation apply to just rifles with the latter style sight or does it apply to all guns made from about Dec 1942 on? I gathered that collectors are very strict about what they call a 1903A1 but that the US Army wasn't quite as particular.

I'm interested in the correct designation from curiosity more then anything else. While the rifle is in very good shape it has been sporterized and has no historic value, I'm just going to make a project gun out of it and return it to as close to original as I can. Fortunately whoever sporterized didn't modify the receiver, barrel or sights at all.

Beau

I just picked up a 1903 manufactured by Remington in Dec 1942. Now I'm new to the gun so I started doing research on it. It seems this rifle was manufactured just before they got rid of the front ladder-style sight on the barrel and put the peep sight on the receiver (it has the ladder-style sight). Does the A3 designation apply to just rifles with the latter style sight or does it apply to all guns made from about Dec 1942 on? I gathered that collectors are very strict about what they call a 1903A1 but that the US Army wasn't quite as particular.

I'm interested in the correct designation from curiosity more then anything else. While the rifle is in very good shape it has been sporterized and has no historic value, I'm just going to make a project gun out of it and return it to as close to original as I can. Fortunately whoever sporterized didn't modify the receiver, barrel or sights at all.

Beau

I'm pretty sure the A3 designation was just for those with the receiver sight.

Doc

Yep...you have an 03. The 03A3 had the peep sight and a stamped steel one piece floorplate (03's was machined steel and the floorplate was removable).

A1 also had the "C" stock, and follower replaced with a stamped one, to eliminate the 4th shell jamb, as some called it. Remington used toolings from the old Rock Island, and a lot of dies were worn out by the year. (They started making 1903s in Sept 41), so they went to a lot of stampings. You can check on mill parts on a Remington, they stamped them with a "R". If not, they are then stamped parts. Dec of 42 makes it about a 1 1/2 year from first production, during which many changes were made to their 1903s. MT

Thanks for the replies. All of the parts are stamped 'R' and the barrel seems to be original to the receiver (date on barrel matches date of manufacture for serial number) and is in very good shape. Upon further investigation it seems this one would be designated as a 'Modified' 1903, it has the stamped base plate but retains the ladder sight so isn't an A3. I'm thinkging about a C stock on it. It should be a fun project.

Beau

A lot of 03's went through arsenal rebuilds. Some had more than one rebuild. They were subject to come out of the rebuild with parts such as your stamped base plate, and with whatever stock was handy.

Too bad the rifle isn't original as the Remington 1903's produced in 1941, '42 and '43 are fairly scarce. There is a good reference book titled "The Collectable '03" by J.C. Harrison, which lists all variations of the '03. It sounds as if the only thing missing on your rifle is the wood and it's metal. The 1942 model had a straight stock and no finger grooves. The original wood is pricey if you can find it, and even the reproductions are getting expensive. A great rifle and fun to shoot. Good luck.

Tex

Archived