SASS Wire Forum

Are they still using this system?

Caught a quick look at the news this week end and they were talking about the problems in

Korea. Showed a picture, which I took to be South Korean Army, with a jeep and an 106 mm

recoiless rifle mounted on it. It had a rotary magizine for the .50 cal spotting rifle but other than

that it looked like something out of 1959.

Wonder if the passed them off to Korea when they discovered that the 106 made the jeep top heavy

and the whole system was a magnet for Russian made tanks.

Can you imagine that two of these in a rifle company against 90 divisions of Russian armor and infantry.

That 106 made one hell of an anti sniper rig though. Just put the spotter round on the spot where he's been popping up to shoot and sit back with the lanyard in your hand and wait for the next round to go over. Pull the lanyard and move on to the next target.

That .50 cal was a heck of a weapon.

That 106 was a heck of a weapon.

Mounted on a jeep was a mistake.

With all the research at the Army's

disposal, I would have though a tracked

vehicle with a lower center of gravity and

a water proof hull would have been better.

Caught a quick look at the news this week end and they were talking about the problems in

Korea. Showed a picture, which I took to be South Korean Army, with a jeep and an 106 mm

recoiless rifle mounted on it. It had a rotary magizine for the .50 cal spotting rifle but other than

that it looked like something out of 1959.

Wonder if the passed them off to Korea when they discovered that the 106 made the jeep top heavy

and the whole system was a magnet for Russian made tanks.

Can you imagine that two of these in a rifle company against 90 divisions of Russian armor and infantry.

Strange isn't it the rifle company is still there and the 90 divisions are gone.

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L
That .50 cal was a heck of a weapon.

That 106 was a heck of a weapon.

Mounted on a jeep was a mistake.

With all the research at the Army's

disposal, I would have though a tracked

vehicle with a lower center of gravity and

a water proof hull would have been better.

"Ontos"

Ontos

H

Although not exactly designed for use that way, some of the Hmong irregulars used the 106mm RR as an indirect fire weapon. Shot out to 7,000 meters.

Fairly accurate out to 5,500 meters in direct fire. Although the tracer burnt out on the spotting round at about 1,100m, the splash could sometimes be seen at the longer ranges.

Another advantage was that if you weren't authorized a jeep, if you could request a 106, it came with a jeep. Just remove the gun, put it on a cobbled up ground mount, and you had a jeep.

When I was teaching it at Ft. Bragg I told my students "Every time you fired that thing, just say to yourself: "one week's pay'." Said thing was that once the ammo was issued for training, it had to be all fired. Was against the rules to return any ammo. Any left over after training finished had to be shot. That was when the other instructors and myself played with it at the longer ranges. A lot of money wasted that way.

Well, I was in an .81 mm mortar squad so I have no first hand knowledge of them.

I never served in combat so I can't address that either. I was there when they touched

them off and they are an awesome weapon.

Archived