SASS Wire Forum

HNL AP nightmares

Slowhand Bob, 24229

After spending the last ten years loading nothing but black powder/subs, in the big calibers I opened the doors to a Hornady/Trail Boss Hades this morning. Since this was to be the most extensive changeover I have done in over ten years, it was decided that a major press cleanup was in order also. My God, it is amazing thet the thing has kept operating, it was was beyond nasty and rusty inside. Half a day was spent wire brushing and buffing metal but that was still not enuff to get my new project done.

After everything seemed set to go for loading smokeless powder in the 38spec a whole new series of problems popped up. The only one that actually seems to relate to the press itself involved the case feeder but I think I finally have it pretty close now. It is possible that I may should have left the 'big case funnel inserts' in at the bottom and if I have any more problems I will change them back???

There was one bottle of Trail Boss on hand that I had received from a ticket drawing a couple of years back so this was going to be the powder under a 125gr truncated cone bullet. Having heard much praise on it, specially concerning safety against double charges, I was really disappointed by the fact that my powder measure wouldnt work with it. I thought I had done a pretty good job of gathering the necessary equipment for the changeover to 38 but hit a brick wall right off with Hornadys new pistol rotor. I could not get any powder flow into the small channel of the new rotor and I tried tapping, banging and a large assortment of colorful words but nothing worked. I pulled the large rotor back out and reinserted it but to my surprise the Trail Boss wouldnt even flow unifomly into this enormous cavity either. After a few minutes of dropping, weighing, cussing louder and louder the darn thing actually binded down. Fearing that I was getting close to throwing things at a nearby wall I gave up on loading Trail Boss through the powder measure and went to pulling the cases out after belling the mouth under the empty measure and hand dipping the Trail Boss. All day and I only have eight loaded rounds plus 45 primed cases to show for it.

If there is an upside to this, thet first eight cycled great in the '73 and I only need a few more rounds that will work through my '73 to make Saturdays big Christmas match in Columbia, barring anymore disasters I should get that finished in the morning. What had me most worried turned out to be the easiest changeover, large primers to small and they work perfect except for being harder to feel seating and this does cause worry. Anyone know if there is a brass follower that can fit the small primer tube?

Find a suitable sized brazing rod at the welding supply and cut to length.

Anyone know if there is a brass follower that can fit the small primer tube?

Howdy

I use a .156 diameter brass rod from a hobby shop. It is about 2 feet long. Be careful when inserting it, always ease it in place, never drop it on a column of primers.

Can't help you much about the Trailboss, I use Clays or Unique when I load 38s on mine. It does sound like you are using the through the expander dohickey on yours. Mine is older and does not have that feature. I seem to remember there were some problems when that first came out a couple of years ago. Give Hornady tech support a call, they may have a solution.

P.S. I have never used subs on mine, but I have put lots of real Black Powder through it. Real Black is kind of abrasive. Perhaps some of the subs are too. After loading lots of BP on mine I have to clean it pretty thoroughly. BP is also hygroscopic and will attract lots of moisture, which can cause rust. That could be part of your problem too.

Guest diablo slim shootist

evey one knows about my small primer feeding problems-which

i fixed and now works perfect -strange it will not drop trial boss

i wonder is it going up high enough to completely make the lever

move the entire stroke -will it work if you hand operate it.Just

some thoughts its too early for my brain to work today :FlagAm:

good luck keep us posted with what you figure out.Diablo

P.S. a hobby shop should have dowel rods in wood ,plastis or brass

mine is some white material (plastic mabe)sent with machine

Slowhand Bob,

Sent you a Pm

Rev

Thanks guys, material does not really matter to much on the follower as its main function is to let me know how many rounds are in the pile, I put a mark at 20 round intervals. Small primers fed perfectly for the fifty or so cases I sized and primed, with the only complaint being that I can not feel them seat like I could the large primers. If the feed remains perfect then it should not matter BUT I just like the feel/assurance of them going in. Got the new oversize powder through expanders in and they are all that I hoped for. I am going to hand dip the remainder of what I have primed with Trail Boss but next time I load 38s I will be trying Clays.

Is anyone using the new small caliber rotor and if so, at what case capacity do you make the change over? I am still not sure what the problem is with Trail Boss, perhaps the donuts are so flat that they actually penetrate the clearance between the rotor and the measure body??? One other thought on the TB, it comes across as being extremely light in weight to the point that it almost wants to float rather than settle into the measuring cavity??? Those who are familiar with the cavities of the Hornady powder measure with large rotor know that these are huge openings and bridging shouldn't occur with any small arms powder. Is it the TB, I will not know until I try other powders in the measure??

For the Hornady bashers I did experience my first real glitch that I had heard others complain about but never experienced, brass jamming with the ejector wire. It does seem to be a problem for the smaller case sizes and will probably need to be addressed as I add more small caliber cases into the mix. Real problems left to be solved, dependable metering of small smokeless powder charges and adjust the extractor wire.

Just bought a new L-N-L AP last week and set it up this weekend with the pistol rotor. Loaded 50 38spl with 3.2gr of Bullseye to get familiar with the press. Every one was dead on and had no powder issues.

All primed OK but it will take me a while to get used to the feel.

Howdy

Regarding the material of the primer follower; I like a piece of brass because it adds a little bit of weight to the column and helps feed the primers more positively. I call it a gravity assist. Plus, if you use a piece of plastic, it may be just crooked enough that it will hang up in the tube and not give you a proper reading. I have a mark on my gravity assist to let me know I am out of primers. Although the press will let you know. After the last primer is fed, if you have a gravity assist in place, it will block the shuttle from returning forward after the last primer has been fed.

Regarding the reliability of the primer system, wait until you have loaded a few more than fifty before you decide whether or not it is 100% reliable. The primer feed system on any brand of press, I don't care who makes it, is usually the most troublesome part of the press.

I dunno what you mean by the 'new' pistol rotor. I installed one on one of my Hornady presses a few years ago. Dunno if it has been redesigned since then or not. I keep one press dedicated to large pistol primers and one press dedicated to small pistol primers. I found that I needed to use the small rotor when I started loading 38s with Clays. I am right at the midpoint of the powder charge recommended for 125 grain bullet. I found that the original large rotor that came with the press could not dial down that far. I regularly used the large rotor for 7 grains of Unique, but found that when I started loading light 38 Special loads it could not do the job.

The rotor is probably the same as you are talking about, its new to me cause I just got one! It replaces the rotor and plunger of their standard LNL measure with one that steps down to a smaller chamber and stem. http://www.hornady.com/store/Pistol-Rotor-...ng-Assy-1-Each/ You can see the new ones here and the plunger is very visible while the thru hole in the rotor steps down to stem size about half way through. I was telling Reverend in a message that Clays would be what I try next with the 125gr truncated cone bullet. Glad to hear that it works good for you, in case I need extra advice. Being calmer in the morning, I ran a few extra rounds of brass through and was able to feel the primers seat. Its just a little more subtle than the large size ones. My dream of loading a couple of thousand .38 rounds will probably have to wait until the first of the year, when I try to tackle 223s also!!!! :blush::lol:

Guest diablo slim shootist

Bob just a note: i have been using the pistol rotor with

Tight group and it works very well nice consistent loads :blush:

Archived