SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Question

Sagebrush Sarge

What are your thoughts on using a small brass brush chucked up in a dremel tool to clean the primer pockets on brass? I tried it on some real grimey brass and they came out factory looking, just not sure.

Thanks,

Sagebrush

What are your thoughts on using a small brass brush chucked up in a dremel tool to clean the primer pockets on brass? I tried it on some real grimey brass and they came out factory looking, just not sure.

Thanks,

Sagebrush

Fine as long as it is not overdone. I think you could enlarge the primer hole if over done.

I used to clean all my brass and primer pockets. For the last several years with regular brass, I just run them through my progressive reloader and I have not had any problems. If I pick up some really dirty brass or stuff that may have been BP powder, I either toss it or sometimes clean it up - including cleaning the primer pocket. Since don't do many, I just use the hand cleaner. As long as there are no "chunks" I double they would give the primer a problem.

Blackfoot +1

I guess I'm just basically lazy . I don't clean my revolver brass unless it is really cruddy. No problems so far..

YMMV :D

charlie

Well... If it's a bottlenecked case, I lube, resize/pop the primer, and then toss in the tumbler to clean.

If it's a straight case, I drop it in the tumbler prior to resizing.

So, for bottlenecks, the primer pocket get's cleaned For straights, it does not.

Never had any problems. You just gotta make sure the hole is clear!

Howdy

I haven't cleaned primer pockets for pistol ammo in years. Even with Black Powder loads. They always go bang.

Howdy

I haven't cleaned primer pockets for pistol ammo in years. 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Special, 38 Special. Even with Black Powder loads. They always go bang.

I tumble prior to size/decap, I then put all the cases head up in a loading block so they're ready for the next step in loading, but check the pockets visually while they're in the block. If any look particularly dirty I'll twirl the primer pocket brush around them, but I usually only have to clean a few every 3 or 4 loadings. A little soot won't hurt, its when it builds up enough to make primer seating difficult or high that I want to avoid.

An informal study over 40 years of shooting has left me with the impression that cleaning primer pockets is not going to make enough difference in my shooting to make it worth my time. Tried it and no improvment. Different I think than other things you can do to the case to help the bullet fly true. Like aiming. Or Voodoo.

A litle rust or corrosion is good. It holds things in place. I don't really clean primer pockets anymore even when I relaod the brass many times. It just don't seem to ever need it. If a reloaded primer feels high and don't seat correctly maybe but actually never. Used to polish decapped brass but no more as media particle can get trapped in the primer pocket. Fuggeddabbodddit. If'n ya gotta for some other reason, use a Q-Tip first with some solvent and the crud comes out. That said, I have some metal primer pocket cleaner/scrapers that I don't use anymore. You might do this if'n you are shooting bench rest super bullseye competition where the groups are measured to the itsy bitsy thosuandth of an inch and they do load the powder a flake grain at a time. But, in CAS, why bother?

Archived