SASS Wire Forum

DAG NABBIT!

Caliope Cupcake #13981

...and the li'l varmits are gonna pay! :D Every now and then I see a little shadow skamperin past my peripheral vision! :FlagAm: Since they bull-dozed and filled the big ditch next to the freeway onramp two blocks from my house, the critters have found their way into my pantry. Oh yaaaa,,, I got the traps set up with peanut butter and the almonds and chocklit they been gnawin' on too.

Heard one in thar workin' on the sticky trap and thot fer shur I got 'em....but NOOoooOOOOO!! Had my pot o' boilin' all ready fer varmit stew,,, dag nabbit! they're gettin' smarter errr I'ma gettin' ---no dunt say it

Miss CC

Get yerself a kitty. We got three and have never had a mouse issue. Cats have their own issues but so do people.

Went to Thanksgiving Dinner to the neighbors across the street 2 yrs ago and my wife and I actually saw a mouse scamper across their kitchen floor. (They don't like cats and dogs so they have a couple birds.)

We were HORRIFIED!!! Never been back.

Remember where there's one mouse there's a potential for a hundred.

Keep us informed.

Waimea

:D

So Sorry! That stinks.

I'm not so sure that a kitty is the perfect solution. When it rains, our cats catch mice in the shop and bring them in the house. Sometimes they're dead. Sometimes we get to play "catch the mouse." One of the cats always rats. He makes a "certain meow" in the middle of the night that is the signal that one of them has a mouse in the house. One time we had to tear apart a attorney bookcase full of glass stuff to get to the verrmin. :FlagAm:

I do think a kitty would be a good thing. Just be careful and don't let them have the opportunity to bring live critters in.

Good luck!

No E!

or is it

Bev Mo :D

thet would be parfekt 'cept I is allergic to kitties :FlagAm: and already have ta take meds fer the meeses!

Can always tell when they are around cuz I can't stop sneezin' :D bummer the traps will werk eventually

hey Jack :D thet's a fuZzy one, purty long--wut didja do? mail him as a surprise? :FlagAm: I was real happy a couple of weeks ago when I saw a dead mouse near the door of the garage---the neighbor's cat got her. :FlagAm: I found her nest

At least you only got Mice! We have RATS!!

Like this one I got with my trusty .22 pistol, he was in the kitchen and just looking at me!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/L...er/MVC-153S.jpg

I wish we had mice . . . . cuz an animal sancuary with 60 + dogs and inumerable cats has lots of feeders and feed sheds and it is a RAT BUFFET:FlagAm: A never ending battle . . . :D just to keep the population at a reasonable level . . . they eat, and eat, and eat, and keep making more RATS !

Right now not too bad . . . seeing a rat . . is not a problem . . there was a time when you'd see 5 to 10 of them all at once . . that was when it wuz a problem.

The mouse population in my barn is nicely controlled by a couple of Texas Rat Snakes, and the resident Coachwhip and the occasional bullsnake. The more non-poisonous snakes like the foregoing I see, the fewer rattle snakes I see.

For the house, although I don't have a mouse problem, I have a Shih-Tzu who has caught a couple in the garage. Funny little dog.

GIT

hey Jack :D thet's a fuZzy one, purty long--wut didja do? mail him as a surprise? :FlagAm: I was real happy a couple of weeks ago when I saw a dead mouse near the door of the garage---the neighbor's cat got her. :FlagAm: I found her nest

:FlagAm: Everybody that sees that photo says that!!

I just used the box as a background for the picture! :FlagAm:

...and the li'l varmits are gonna pay! :D Every now and then I see a little shadow skamperin past my peripheral vision! :FlagAm: Since they bull-dozed and filled the big ditch next to the freeway onramp two blocks from my house, the critters have found their way into my pantry. Oh yaaaa,,, I got the traps set up with peanut butter and the almonds and chocklit they been gnawin' on too.

Heard one in thar workin' on the sticky trap and thot fer shur I got 'em....but NOOoooOOOOO!! Had my pot o' boilin' all ready fer varmit stew,,, dag nabbit! they're gettin' smarter errr I'ma gettin' ---no dunt say it

Hate to see that kind of problem...But since you live on the other side of the hill from me...PLEASE KEEP THEM OVER THERE...I don't need no stinkin mice over here...

Texas Lizard

We've only had mice one time, and that was about 20 years ago. We live on a cul-de-sac that backs up to woods on all sides. Our neighbors across the court killed several black snakes in their yard because they were afraid they would attack their little dog. With the snakes gone, the mice moved into their garage, and ours as well. I was able to clean the little buggers out with old-fashioned spring traps, and finally convinced the neighbors to leave the snakes alone, as I've always done. I leave the snakes alone to do their thing, and we have no mice anywhere since that instance, not in our sheds, camper, house or garage. Zip, zilch, nada.

We had a major mouse problem in the target shed at the gun club, then all of a sudden, they disappeared. I found out why one day when I was rummaging around in there looking for a hammer, and found a humongous black snake coiled up in a back corner. I left him alone to do his thing as well.

I'll take snakes over cats as mousers any old day. They're quiet, don't howl and get into fights late at night, and they don't crap in the landscape mulch either.

hhahahhahha Jack

Snakes--- me too GG

At least you only got Mice! We have RATS!!

Like this one I got with my trusty .22 pistol, he was in the kitchen and just looking at me!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/L...er/MVC-153S.jpg

Jack

THAT is an admirable shot with that pistol. It looks like a Sterling of which I used to be an owner. It was difficult to convince MY Sterling to hit anything under six feet tall at anything over six feet away.

My undying admiration goes out to you for not only shooting and killing a rat in your kitchen but doing it with that gun. BRAVO!

Ms Alli (no E)

We don't let our Kitties roam. Too many bad things out there. Alligators (although we've never seen one), Coyotes, poisonous snakes (neighbors cat found one of them, died in their driveway).

Our cats like to bring in the stray lizard every couple days though. But with three one always manages to send the little critter back to their maker.

Waimea

Now the fun begains. A couple of sets of mouse traps & some peanut butter! Bend the arm on the trap so as it snaps real easy and let the trapping begain!! If ya see one you probally have six or so. They fall for the peanut butter every time. Good trapping!! NBC

yep it's on thar. I never saw a mouse nibble on bitter chocklit b'fore. thar they were through the foil wrappin'--tiny li'l teef marks :D

Jack

THAT is an admirable shot with that pistol. It looks like a Sterling of which I used to be an owner. It was difficult to convince MY Sterling to hit anything under six feet tall at anything over six feet away.

My undying admiration goes out to you for not only shooting and killing a rat in your kitchen but doing it with that gun. BRAVO!

Ms Alli (no E)

We don't let our Kitties roam. Too many bad things out there. Alligators (although we've never seen one), Coyotes, poisonous snakes (neighbors cat found one of them, died in their driveway).

Our cats like to bring in the stray lizard every couple days though. But with three one always manages to send the little critter back to their maker.

Waimea

It's a Jennings J-22 It isn't a bullseye gun but I was shooting Snakeshot in it at about 6 feet...did the job!!! He jumped up about a foot and fell dead in his tracks :FlagAm:

Used to have a problem with mice in the guest house. Finally, out of frustration, bought one of those electronic things you plug in the wall that repels rodents.

I didn't expect it to work. But it does!

You can take some crushed bay leaf and sprinkle it around the foundation three or four times a year and put some out in the pantry etc. Mice hate the stuff and rats do too. You gotta' work the places you see them but it works for my mom and my granny wouldn't lie about stuff like that.

always wondered about those electronic thingys. I've used chili powder before for insects and mice dunt like it either.

thanx y'all and good night :D

Good morning Miss Caliope! To save you the aggravation of resetting traps, playing with poisons, or risking shooting holes in your pantry floor, I have a solution for you: Coca Cola.

Some years ago a friend of mine had some unwanted rodent houseguests, so he called the city for advice. An older gent in the health department advised him to set out a pan of Coke. Turns out rats and mice can neither fart nor belch, and they love the taste of Coke. They'll lap it up until they're full and then the carbonation goes to work on their little insides.

Pop goes the weasel, basically.

Had some mice in my garage once and set out some D-Con thingys, the ugly little beasts eat the stuff and then blow up like a baloon and go die somewhere. Had 2 of 'em die one in the garage and one was on the lawn in broad daylight. He was still breathin and I shot him with my garden hose. He rolled over and was still breathin but not movin. I whisked him in a garbage can lid and threw him over the fence in my backyard. There's a church parking lot in my backyard. I then proceded to smash him with a big rock so he wouldn't get eaten alive by crows or cats. Pretty humane of me wouldn't ya say? :FlagAm:

Ah, a subject I'm all too familiar with except we had rats. Raw land all around our neighborhood got cleared for developement and all the wildlife in those hundreds of acres ended up invading our neighborhood. Rats, foxes, coyotes, deer, raccoon, everything you'd expect. Had more than a few cats go missing around the neighborhood. It wasn't unusual to see a coyote in the mornings bedded down in the corner of the backyard where I spread the yard clippings. We never had rats get in the living area, but they invaded the basement and attic. There was about a two month period during the winter when I didn't go down into the basement. They'd gotten in and found a bag of grass seed and were helping themselves. Rat droppings everywhere and on everything. I took up airgunning again shortly thereafter, and with traps and exclusion procedures, managed to curtail them, but it took a couple of months. Afterward, I took almost a weeek and moved everything out of the basement and disinfected it and mopped the floors down. I felt like I had to come up and scrub in a hot shower to get the ick off even if I only went down for an hour to put stuff away I'd already cleaned. Still catch one in the basement every now and then in a trap. After 3 years, I've not been able to figure out how they're still geting in, but they've got a way in somehow.

It's a Jennings J-22 It isn't a bullseye gun but I was shooting Snakeshot in it at about 6 feet...did the job!!! He jumped up about a foot and fell dead in his tracks :FlagAm:

The house I was born and raised in was built in 1720 and the basement had stone walls/foundations and a stone and dirt floor nearest neighbor about a mile away field mice came in every fall but the cat kept them in check, I recall one year when between adult cats ( the new kitten was too young) my Dad took a $10 single shot boys .22 withe a wire frame 'stock' and made the last few inches of the bore smooth... this had a name as in a xxxxxx modification but I no longer recall it... this improved the pattern a lot with the .22 crimped dust shot as my father referred to the #12? shot shells.

we would take turns hunting mice in the basement a square of plywood was placed on the floor and bird seed used as bait. sit in a chair next ti the string to the light when you hear some thing pull the string and shoot the mice I recall getting 4 with one shot as my best effort. but I was glad when the kitten was old enough to take on her duties

cheers

Windy

Hey Waimea,

We don't let our kitties wander now that we are in the country. We had a custom iron fence built. The posts are about half the distance apart as the off-the-shelf fencing. We put in cat doors to the house and shop before the mouse thing started. They love being out in the yard at night and have caught a few gophers too.

We also have a feral cat that I've been feeding for a few months. So far, he won't let me touch him. He does talk to me and brought me a present once. He put a rat with it's neck chewed right outside my office window. It was huge. Jack's looks like a big mouse to me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

http://www.ratzapper.com/

Check out this device. We live in a very rural area and have a barn. This is the only device I have ever found that really works. You put some dog food in it - the mice/rats walk in for dinner and get lectrocuted ( actually it just sends their ticker's into fibrolation). The device has a blinking light on top to tell you when you've got one. You just dump em in the trash from the device - you never need to touch um.

This is one that really works.

Howdy, Pards & Pardettes,

When we moved into our present house about 20+ years ago, it was part of a development and the construction in neighboring areas sent a bunch of mice our way. A bay window in one room had a bottom-filler, but it wasn't put in properly and anyhow field mice can get in through a hole the size of a quarter, so I'm told. The critters would walk across the finished ceiling in the basement and then get into the rest of the house. I called our local Terminix outfit, and they put out bait boxes. A couple of them, strategically placed attracted the mice, and we haven't seen any activity INSIDE the house since. We do get some activity (chewed bait) in the garage and on the box placed under the bay window overhang (the house's, NOT MINE! :FlagAm: ).

What happens is that the critters smell the bait (some sort of solid-looking stuff) inside the box (a plastic thing with holes, so that larger animals can't get inside to the bait), crawl inside and chew on the bait. This makes them thirsty. When they go out and drink some water, the bait drops their blood pressure to zero and...finito! The only problem comes from disposing of them...before our taco-terrier finds them. One time she brought a dead one in as a present for my wife! :FlagAm: I tend to inspect the backyard periodically for carcasses.

Of course, the exterminator isn't cheap, but then neither is piece of mind.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

You could do as a nephew did. Some one told him that if he wear a pistol in a fast draw holster and draw and shoot the mice he would get faster than Bob Mundon, Buba only finished the first grade when he turned 16. First time he seen a mouse he drew and shot the stove, it was made of cast iron, then the window broke. His second one he goes to draw and shoots through the $10 Mexican holster and into his leg, he then shot his foot when the gun fell to the floor and went off. While at the hospital he told his wife he would use the 12 gage next time. The good thing was he was at the ER and they had no problem wiring his broken jaw. The wife had her hand in a cast for 6 weeks, she made it to the 8th grade.

When we built way out here, we would see rats and mice running all over the place. We got a couple of good cats, and the rodent problem all but disappeared. One cat, in particular, was a real go getter. Rats, mice, gophers...the ol' girl lived to hunt. Unfortunately, after 18 long years, she finally cashed in her chips. Have had good cats since then, but never as good as her. Like my wife (who hates cats, by the way) once said, "That's the kind of cat you'd kill for."

However, Justice B. Dunn's suggested Rat Zapper looks so cool that I may be tempted to buy one just for the heck of it. Who knows? There may be some rats out there that the cats haven't caught yet. On the other hand, you may be able to rig that thing up so that it would be a real novelty at your next party. I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it, but I'm sure some electrical genius out there could fix it so you could give somebody a shock as they were reaching for the guacamole dip or something. Next best thing since the Whoopee Cushion. :blush:

hey Jack :blush: thet's a fuZzy one, purty long--wut didja do? mail him as a surprise? :lol: I was real happy a couple of weeks ago when I saw a dead mouse near the door of the garage---the neighbor's cat got her. :lol: I found her nest

Caliope I always found the old fashion mouse traps with the metal bait clamp baited with bacon clamped with small flyers then light a match and partialy cook bacon is irresistable to the mouses, works much better than cheese, peanut butter, or chocalate. Just be carefull the bacon can flame up & drip some grease.

Gaurnteed to catch them varmits.

Tennessee Deadeye

Archived