SASS Wire Forum

Rifle Stock modification question

Hard Cash, SASS #68128

Maybe and Probably not

Shooters hand book 2010page 5

STOCKS AND GRIPS

• The length or style of stock may be altered or replaced (e.g., a carbine style stock may be

interchanged for a rifle stock and vice-versa).

• A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the buttplate or butt stock.

• Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not

customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic

shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

Since he brought it up, I've heard the comment Bulls Head Bill made before. See Above rules that say the opposit thing!

I think if it was a well padded "LARGE" Butt cover one might get away with it as along as it maintained the same basic shape.

Don't get too fast with it or you'll get questioned about it a lot!

That is an ILLEGAL modification. We had this discussion on the TG wire recently. You CANNOT in any way modify the stock to add some sort of cheekpiece. It isn't spelled out clearly in the Handbook, but that is the official RO Committee ruling. Maybe Palewolf will chime in if you don't believe me.

So when you shorten a rifle stock a whole lot (like 4 or 5 inches) for a small person, i.e. lady or junior, there is little vertical stock left to fit onto the shoulder. Is it legal to fair a piece of wood to the BOTTOM of the stock so there is enough stock height to fit on a shoulder? I have seen this done many times.

Is it legal to add a piece of wood to the top of an 1873 rifle to raise the drop at comb and drop at the heel ?

NO.

That is an ILLEGAL modification. We had this discussion on the TG wire recently. You CANNOT in any way modify the stock to add some sort of cheekpiece. It isn't spelled out clearly in the Handbook, but that is the official RO Committee ruling. Maybe Palewolf will chime in if you don't believe me.

If a padded "butt cover" raises the contour of the stock to the extent that it constitutes a "cheek piece", it is NOT a legal modification.

So when you shorten a rifle stock a whole lot (like 4 or 5 inches) for a small person, i.e. lady or junior, there is little vertical stock left to fit onto the shoulder. Is it legal to fair a piece of wood to the BOTTOM of the stock so there is enough stock height to fit on a shoulder? I have seen this done many times.

Please email a pic of a stock modified in that manner for review by the RO Committee.

• 4 weeks later...
I am reading that I can't add extra wood to raise the Drop at the Comb, but could I completly replace the stock with different dimensions ??

No you can't......see Doc's post....There is NO legal way to have a cheek rest.

• Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not

customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
No you can't......see Doc's post....There is NO legal way to have a cheek rest.

Stan

A comb is a cheek rest, a cheep piece is a added piece on the comb?? Gary

While we're on this subject could you replace a rifle stock with one of same dimensions and shape but instead of a cresent butt have a shotgun style buttpad?

Lanky Frame

It is legal, and a lot of folks just cut it off square and cover with a leather butt cover.

While we're on this subject could you replace a rifle stock with one of same dimensions and shape but instead of a cresent butt have a shotgun style buttpad?

Lanky Frame

The applicable regulations can be found in the SHOOTERS HANDBOOK.

Firearms Covenants - STOCKS and GRIPS on page 5.

Archived