SASS Wire Forum

NRA membership and free insurance

theywalkamongus

:rolleyes: I’m most likely the only one that didn’t understand this but just in case here you go. When you join the NRA they tell you that you will be given $1000 dollars in lost or stolen firearms insurance automatically when you activate your membership.

Now to my duma$^*&s that means when they receive my dues $$$ and send me my membership card with my membership number then it is activated, but that’s not so, you have to look through all of the stuff that is in the envelope and find the number that you need to call to activate the insurance.

Please don’t take this the wrong way the NRA is a great organization and starting next year 2011 the amount of coverage is going up to $2500, this is just a heads up to the folks out there that might be as naïve as I was and not follow through with the processes.

Your friend (scout) theywalkamongs :wacko:

Theywalkamounus

I missed that!

Thought the insurance was automatic!

Now where is all that "junk" insert that I evidently didn't read?

This really rubbed me the wrong way in the timing. I had my guns stolen in May. No coverage from homeowners, $200 from auto, and as a payer of last resort I got $1000 from the NRA. So I had to replace $3000 worth of guns with $1200. Blew that on 2 guns. And NOW they decide to increase the coverage limits! :FlagAm:

Grey rock, Not to be nosy, but why no coverage thru your homeowners?

Grey rock, Not to be nosy, but why no coverage thru your homeowners?

I'm not Greyrock but the vast majority of of homeowner policies will NOT cover firearms, jewelry or cash past a $1,000 limit (which is usually your deductable) unless you request it. That usually results in a higher premium cost. The main reason for the non-coverage is that the afore mentioned items are the primary items that thieves steal during a breakin.

CS

Figures. Cover the stuff that nobody wants but the good stuff that gets stolen they won't cover. That's why I have a really GOOD gunsafe. Guess I better call and activate my NRA insurance anyway, wouldn't hurt.

Somebody know why the NRA needs my "billing info" (and credit card info) if I'm a life member and am not changing anything?

Are you being asked for that at the link I posted above? I wasn't.

All I had to enter was;

Member ID:

Zip Code:

Email Address:

Security Code:

Somebody know why the NRA needs my "billing info" (and credit card info) if I'm a life member and am not changing anything?

40 - if you're refering to the section on gift membership - I just hit the "continue" twice without filling it out & got through.......

Now I get a DVD sent to me in the mail from NRA and I have to pay $12.95 to keep it or pay postage to return! I never asked for this or any other dvd.

Cash

I got one too

If you r sent something which u did not request by law u can keep unless they pay 4 return postage

NRA DVD went into the trash along with the last 2 invoices

Next problem...

:blush::lol::lol::lol::D

The NRA would NOT pay on any of my son's (Winchester Wade) guns when they were stolen about 3 years ago.

He is a life member. And very frustrated with their crappy insurance outfit. :D

Mustang Gregg

Now I get a DVD sent to me in the mail from NRA and I have to pay $12.95 to keep it or pay postage to return! I never asked for this or any other dvd.

Cash

I got it too and have started to look a lot closer at the stuff they send me. in the one that I got there is an envelop that has no postage required, you have to tahe it out of the CD case and just put the CD in the envelop.

but it also says that you didn't ask for it so you don't have to return it.

:blush: I’m most likely the only one that didn’t understand this but just in case here you go. When you join the NRA they tell you that you will be given $1000 dollars in lost or stolen firearms insurance automatically when you activate your membership.

Now to my duma$^*&s that means when they receive my dues $$$ and send me my membership card with my membership number then it is activated, but that’s not so, you have to look through all of the stuff that is in the envelope and find the number that you need to call to activate the insurance.

Please don’t take this the wrong way the NRA is a great organization and starting next year 2011 the amount of coverage is going up to $2500, this is just a heads up to the folks out there that might be as naïve as I was and not follow through with the processes.

Your friend (scout) theywalkamongs :lol:

OK sounds like I my not alone, the NRA has gotten more aggressive in trying to get new members and they are using the shotgun approach, and that is aggravating as heck to me, and this insurance thing is bull%^^&t they plainly say you will automatically have $1000 in insurance when you become a member.

Pard, . . . sorry about your loss, . . .

My thoughts on the subject . . . .

The 1,000 coverage is a "teaser" to get you to apply for the gun insurance. Which is Ok with me . . . after all, . . . what does 1,000 cover ? Not much. For me that covers 2/3 of my lever gun and leaves all the rest not covered. So the FIRST 1,000 of coverage is free and you pay whatever the ammount is for the coverage you want to cover all your guns. Any gun worth more than 2,500 ( individually ) they ( the insurance carrier not NRA ) wants listed, lesser value guns don't need listed to them. I have coverage for replacement value of my shootin' irons and it gives peace of mind. I have both a written and photo ( on a CDrom ) inventory of guns with the information about each gun showing in the photos with the gun on the CD disk. In addition I keep the guns seperated between the "rolling bunkhouse" and the "workshop" so that a catastrophic loss would only mean the loss of 1/2 of them. The main security for guns . . is don't let the potential "perps" know that you have them. Holsters visible in a truck means GUN to a perp. A safe also means something valuable is probably in it.

If'n ya got a "Collection" as some herabouts do, get the additional insurance they offer also. And, if you are a REAL CCW pistoleer, get the self defense coverage also.

I couldnt find any info on the ccw coverage on the NRA website. Any info would b appreciated.

I couldnt find any info on the ccw coverage on the NRA website. Any info would b appreciated.

chlpp

I only know of it because I got a flyer for them at the last gun show. That's all I know about them.

Archived