SASS Wire Forum

Have you ever had targets so big and close ....

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

With the majority of folks on here saying that BIG CLOSE targets are the way to go.

Have any of you ever been to a match that had targets so BIG and CLOSE that you were almost ashamed to say you shot such easy targets?

I'm thinking about a match that I shot once that had very BIG targets only about 3 to 4 FEET from the end of my pistol.

I don't remember hearing anyone complain about them being so close until they had to take their turn checking guns at the Unloading Table because there was so much splatter coming from the targets.

But hey, the times were great! :rolleyes:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy

No, I have never shot at targets that were only three or four feet away. But I have shot at targets that were so close I was afraid of getting nailed with bullet spatter.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Yes a club in Texas (that will remain nameless) puts on an annual

event and 40 to 50 people shoot clean every time -they are proud

of that success and people love it. i even shot it clean a few years

back!! got the plaque to show for it still . ITS FUN TO SHOOT CLEAN

EVEN IF ITS EASY! IMHO Diablo

Why would anyone be ashamed for shooting targets at a match? That's a ridiculous question unless you there's some sort of secret correlation between distance and size to one's manhood that I am not aware of.

I'm curious why you seem to be constantly railing against big and close?

Stan

NO!

I like to hear the ping every time I pull the trigger as well as the next cowboy, but I have to say that if something comes easily it does not carry the same emotional value as something that’s hard to do. Not talking impossible, but a challenge, not something that every can do. I know that this hobby is time based, but I still feel the there should be more importance put on accuracy. The western tradition values accuracy as much as it does the fast draw or quick fire. A 5 sec. miss seems a little puny to me. Those who know me, like Santa Fe River Stan, know that I will never challege the aces of this hobby, still I feel that focusing in speed at the expense of the other parts of the western tradition is lopsidded. Just my point of view. WW

Yes, but not as much so recently. For sake of safety I would like to think we have enuff cents to use paper at such extremely close ranges but sure, we used to put up big cardboard targets across a small poker table occasionally. Was it to close, you betcha, it was unreal how many shooters would get ahead of their ability to control the motor functions and suffer slip hammer. Even the good shooters can make this mental mistake. Kinda like asking if there is any such thing as to much cake and ice cream!

With the majority of folks on here saying that BIG CLOSE targets are the way to go.

Have any of you ever been to a match that had targets so BIG and CLOSE that you were almost ashamed to say you shot such easy targets?

I'm thinking about a match that I shot once that had very BIG targets only about 3 to 4 FEET from the end of my pistol.

I don't remember hearing anyone complain about them being so close until they had to take their turn checking guns at the Unloading Table because there was so much splatter coming from the targets.

NO to your question.

But I have a question for you, Did EVERYONE clean the match, or clean all the BIG targets 3 - 4 feet from your barrel?

"If ya reckon they are too big and too close to challenge ya...You ain't going fast enough!!!"

...Constable Nelson

There you go - thats sums it all up.

If you aint shooting clean AND winning overall at EVERY match...

Then you haven't mastered big and close targets yet.

Going smaller and further aint going to improve your times or standings.

Just watch another stick of dynamite in the fire, pretty soon it will get ugly and the poster will get upset.

Now to the question, NO. I have never seen a steel target at one yard, lots at 3 to 4 yards tho. If a club sets a target at one yard, they better provide a mechanism to eliminate splatter, ie hay bales, water trough, etc. and make darn certain the target is angled down from top to bottom. I have seen a clay simulating a strong box lock at about a yard and it worked perfect and had zero splashback. I have seen many derringer paper plate targets at that distance with no splashback.

The only shame I felt at the last "Big and Close" match was when I missed.

Spittoon

But hey, the times were great! :wacko:

Nope. Not one bit. :rolleyes:

But never seen targets at 3-4 feet.

Very few at 3 yards.

Most around here are 5-8 yards on pistol.

Target distance has not changed ANY from the time I started SASS.

However, I have shot a few places with small far targets.

The clubs I tend to like to shoot at. Have targets 5-8 yards.

Maybe a few at 4 yards and could have a shot of two longer.

BIG BIGGER BIGGEST

Shot at all kinds big and close. I've also seen people miss those BIG targets and laugh about it. Its fun and I like the clang.

Jesamy Kid #34841

Paniolo

I never met a big target I didn't like.

If it's too big for aiming I shoot it outlaw and feel doubly proud I didn't miss it.

They should make SG targets bigger too.

Waimea (who can usually hit the broad-side-of-the-barn)

:rolleyes:

Distance, close or far, makes no difference. The best shooters will still win. I like big, close targets for some matches, people shoot good, times are a little better, and the best shooters STILL win.....

I think big and close closes the gap between the really fast shooters and the ones who are almost really fast. The really fast will still win almost all of the time, but the margin of victory will be smaller.

I guess I haven't been in the game long enough to get bored with big and close. Maybe partly because the two monthlys I shoot regularly are different, one with smaller farther, and one that leans towards big and close.

Embarrassed by shooting the big and close? No way. Embarrassed by missing them? You bet!

Well, it's a pretty neat sweet setup to only allow a person who wins every single match, never misses a target to be the only one who would be able to say targets are too close, too big. Bud, Deuce, Spencer or any of the other top shooters don't win every match, so bascially no one's comment would be valid. So I guess at a match with more difficult targets as long as at least one shooter doesn't miss a target and shoots clean, all the shooters with a bunch of misses can't complain that the targets were too difficult.

Sure, I miss some big and close targets too but I still prefer to have the chance to miss some targets other than big and close. Smokin Gator

But hey, the times were great! :wacko:

Hi Sweetie,

Distance of the targets is not the determining factor for splatter. Condition (pock marks), angles (of the targets and to the shooter), and what is under the targets cause more splatter than close targets.

I'm not embarassed to shoot. I am embarassed on occasion to miss. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Distance of the targets is not the determining factor for splatter. Condition (pock marks), angles (of the targets and to the shooter), and what is under the targets cause more splatter than close targets.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Angle and condition will cause splatter, not distance. Now if you were ten inches maybe.

Would you be ashamed at shooting a home invader at four feet?

Me, NOT.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

No.

We've had targets at 3 feet, they are paper or a clay. That's fun for the occasional target and helps mix it up. That type of card table justice appeals to me.

I've written stages where misses don't count and the targets are just there to show you where to point the appropriate gun. Strangly I see more problems confounding shooters, delays, and even procedurals when they have to do something that different.

As long as the targets are as safe as we can make them, mix it up anyway your facility will allow.

Joe

:rolleyes: I am not taking the bait :wacko:

..............................LOL......................

Ok, so I changed my mind yes

real big, and real close, takes more planning to do it right.. due to

.................... inscreased splash back potential

border town shoot has perfected that as best as ya can

Ok, well 30+ replies and 90+% say NO.

I agree with 'em. I've seen targets I thought were too big and close to miss, and felt shame at, sure enough, missing them! I agree with those who say if you never miss, you aren't pushing your speed hard enough.

I suspect I may not feel pride, but I would not feel shame at not missing a barn from the inside! :rolleyes:

Hi-Yo and Awaaaay,

That Masked Man

Archived