SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone know why the Ruger LCP is not CA approved?

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

And does anyone have an idea of when it will be CA approved if ever?

I just found out that I can't buy it in California.

:rolleyes:

Guest diablo slim shootist

:FlagAm:Dont know why (who can figure out California strange rules) my

question is why would some one want a 380 when a 38 +p is a better weapon

and small enough to carry in your pocket (i do it All the time -Never leave home

with out it)get an air weight j frame instead-unless this is a back up for another gun

you are already carry-Dont be under gunned right off the get go-IMHO :rolleyes:

Howdy

Your best bet is to call Ruger and ask to speak to the legal department. They can answer your questions.

Kahr has a California P380 version which is different than its normal versions. The Kahr website details why The Cal. version is approved with thingys like loaded chamber indicator and stuff like that. If'n you look at the Kahr Cal version features you can compare them to the Ruger features and figure out what Ruger does not have.

:rolleyes:

What makes you think it isn't CA approved?

My guess is the loaded chamber indicator and longer barrel...

It is NOT on the California "Drop List". It has NOT been submitted for testing by Ruger, and they will NOT be submitting it for testing.

All that being said, does not stop you from having one.... it just means that a FFL can not sell you one in California, or can not ship one into California. A private party transfer of a "used" gun within the state is a doable thing.

Snakebite

What makes you think it isn't CA approved?

I looked it up on Ruger's website and the CA State website and the LCP is not listed as OK.

diablo slim shootist,

I was looking into the LCP as a Christmas present for my wife. From everything that a few friends have told me about theirs, it seems like a good light piece for a purse or handbag or jacket pocket.

That's how I found out that it's not on the CA Approved List ...

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

It is NOT on the California "Drop List". It has NOT been submitted for testing by Ruger, and they will NOT be submitting it for testing.

All that being said, does not stop you from having one.... it just means that a FFL can not sell you one in California, or can not ship one into California.

A private party transfer of a "used" gun within the state is a doable thing.Snakebite

That's very true, thanks Snakebite!

Semper Fi!

:FlagAm:

I wonder if the Kel-Tec and the new Taurus TCP is Ca. approved?

Miles my friend,

I can't find either on the list.

I'd bet it's because it didn't pass the drop test, remember after the recall Ruger put out that it doesn't recommend carrying the LCP with a round in the chamber... Not much good for a self defense firearm...

Wrangler,

I didn't hear that Ruger doesn't recommend carrying the LCP with a round in the chamber.

Thanks for the infomation. I really appreciate knowing as much about any gun that I'm interested in buying.

Again thanks.

Semper Fi!

Miles my friend,

I can't find either on the list.

Hmm, ther's a few on that list that you could go with. NAA makes a good little gun I have a NAA in .22 mag SA that works just fine. I see the Taurus PT111 is on there. Nice little 9mm, awful trigger pull though. Seecamp is also a great little gun but a bit pricey. Bummer about the LCP and Kel-Tec both nice little guns. Good luck to ya, Rye

I have a Ruger LCP and have never seen anything that says it should not be carried with one in the chamber. How was this announcement made? Early in production there was a recall, but mine was not in the recall group. Maybe they said do not carry with round in chamber until recall fixed or something like that for those guns within the recall serial number range.

Diablo,

You have a valid point with the .38 +P, but neither weapon is perfect. I carried a model 36 for many a year, but the newer models with the combat style grips have a draw back, they interfere with speedloaders. They are just wide enough to prevent the shells to fall in easily and often jam. I know this is a hotly debated topic, but I've had it drilled into my head between academy training and departmental policy to always have 2 reloads on my person. While the .380 is sub-optimal, reloading is a breeze and the extra 2 rounds coupled with decent ammo (Corbon, Hornaday, Buffalo Bore), levels the field somewhat. I'm just happy to live in a state that doesn't tell me which handgun I can carry! :FlagAm:

BSD

I have a Ruger LCP and have never seen anything that says it should not be carried with one in the chamber. How was this announcement made? Early in production there was a recall, but mine was not in the recall group. Maybe they said do not carry with round in chamber until recall fixed or something like that for those guns within the recall serial number range.

Ruger states it in the owners manual on page 14 at the top of the page. I could be wrong but most firearm manufactures do not recommend carrying a firearm with a round in the chamber. I would have to guess that the statements are for liablity reasons. I never heard this with the LCP until this thread.........I guess I should read the entire owners manual instead of just the parts about disassembly and cleaning. BTW, there is not a "loaded chamber" indicator but there is a "window" on the top of the gun to visually check.

CS

A telephone call to Ruger's Customer service desk will settle the "round in chamber" debate. If that's a recommended condition, then I would look for something different. I think a Kahr would be my recommendation for an alternate.

RBK

PS: There is no comparison in the trigger pull between a Kahr and a Ruger. The Kahr has the better trigger pull by far.

I have a Kahr PM9. It is a little larger than the LCP, but it is also a 9mm vs 380. I do like the Kahr, and it is just small enough to be called a pocket pistol.

Snakebite

I have a Kahr PM9. It is a little larger than the LCP, but it is also a 9mm vs 380. I do like the Kahr, and it is just small enough to be called a pocket pistol.

Snakebite

I agree 100%. I have the PM-9, and with the standard magazine it works well as a pocket gun, but I also have the extended magazine that helps with my big hands.

BSD

I agree also

I carry a Rohrbaugh R9S 9mm daily, everywhere....I feel better protected carrying a 9mm than any 380; the 9mm is still marginal IMO, but in a pocket pistol size gun that fits neatly in my back pocket, it'll do just fine.

The first rule of daily carry, is CARRY!!!! Whatever gun you will carry daily is the best gun/caliber for you!

As to the original question, the LCP will not pass the CA drop test or barrel size limitations and is too easily concealed...I doubt that Ruger wil ever submit the requrred number of guns for the drop test as the gun still doesn't fit CA's parameters for a legal pistol.

You'd be surprised how many firearms manufacturers just won't sell to or even care any longer about the CA firearms market due to its restrictions and added scrutiny.

Barret of 50 cal fame won't even sell his guns to CA Law Enforcement, since CA made the 50 cal illegal.

There are a lot of other firearms companies that also just won't sell to CA.Period.

There are several guns that are great concealable options for carry, but Paniolo asked about the Ruger LCP. I agree that the 9mm and the .38+P are more powerful than the .380 Auto, but, again, Paniolo asked about the Ruger LCP.

One of the reasons California does not approve it is, like Shorty said, it is "too concealable." EXACTLY! That's why I carry one. If it wasn't concealable, I wouldn't carry it. If a person was so inclined, he could walk around town with nothing on but a fig leaf and could still conceal the LCP. I'm not exactly sure where he would conceal it, but there's not doubt in my mind that it could still be concealed. :FlagAm:

After testing various rounds of .380 Auto, the Hornady Personal Defense ammo has my vote hands down. Is it as powerful as the .45 acp? Of course not, but as Shorty reminded us, the first rule of daily carry is to CARRY! When faced with a possible assailant, I'd rather have my wife armed with the LCP than with just a set of car keys.

Paniolo is thinking about getting one for Mrs. Paniolo. Is the LCP a good choice? In my opinion, yes. It's easy to conceal, it's extremely light weight, it functions flawlessly, and with good defense ammo, it will definitely make a perp think twice.

I did a private party transfer with mine and all is well. I have the LCP listed as one of my three on California's CCW. And yes, I carry one in the tube. Just my view from the saddle.

Pack Saddle Slim is correct that the OP was inquiring about the Ruger LCP, and that's the information he wanted and needed.

I think his questions have been adequately answered, and doubt he has additional need for information on that pistol.

I do think this, and it's up to him to make that decision. Any pistol that will not pass the Drop Test, or is not recommended by the Manufacturer to be carried with one in the chamber, I personally DO NOT want my wife carrying such a weapon. I have no problem with those who do carry them, but not by a member of this household.

And secondly, these guns are double action only, and the Rugers probably have the worst (heaviest) trigger pull of any on the market. This is not hearsay as we have several DAO Rugers owned by family members. Most dislike them because of this.

My statements are basically to let the OP know that there are better choices for his Wife, from several standpoints. Ultimately, the choice is his, no matter what anyone else thinks or prefers.

Cheers, RBK

I thought ya had to be LEO to get one,then ya buy it from your LEO nephew :blush: Ruger Little Criminal Popper :lol:

Archived