SASS Wire Forum

How many shoot EMF Great Western II Revolvers?

That is interesting - the cylinder bushings on all my GW II's come out. A couple were tight when I got them but with some subtle urging they came out. Polished everything up, lubed them and they fall right out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a pair of blued 4 3/4s GW2s in 357 which were tuned up and dialed in by our local cowboy smith. No complaints whatsoever besides my wife commandeering the brace when we shoot together. Seems to be one of the better buys on the market.

Well I never did find a pair of nickle 4 3/4" . But I did get a pair of 5 1/2" SS 45s. Haven't had a chance to get out to the range to see how they perform yet. Bad weather or work has kept me away, but I'm confident they'll work just fine.

Tomorrow, I pick up my new back up GW's. I got the last pair of Turnbull case-colored guns from EMF. They're 4 3/4",.38s, with Express (birdshead grips. One has white grips and the other is wood. They had a pair of the white ones, but a dealer bought ONE. I'm looking for a match to either the white or the wood. Otherwise I've got to match up both guns. I've got smooth Rosewood Eagle Gunfighters on my stainless guns and they're great.

I changed out the grips on 5 of my 7 GW's, so I may have some spare white grips laying around. Don't know if they would fit, but you are welcome to a pair to try...for cost of shipping....

drop me an emule at: sdough@earthlink.net if yer interested.

curley

ps: so what are they doing for CCH if Turnbull isn't doing them? I hadn't heard this info..

I've got two pair. 4 3/4" .38s and a new set of "Pony Express" .45s I don't particularly like the turned down hammer on the pony express. Changed them out for standard hammers.

Both sets were easier to tune and required less work than Uberti's or even my set of USFA Double Eagles. I think the Pietta built guns are great value for money.

Coffinmaker

I'm curious. I want to hear your thoughts, good or bad. Any finish, barrel length, & caliber is fine. If you don't mind, what was your price?

Please, I don't care if you shoot Rugers, Colts, or Ubertis. I'm only interested in the 1873 Single Action Army revolvers manufactured by Pietta in Italy & imported and sold by EMF as Grt. Western II. Thanks. :rolleyes:

I shoot a 7.5 inch GW2, Blue/CCH, .45Colt with an 1860 Grip frame mounted with a set of True Ivory grips. Great shooter with Black Powder / Substitutes and a 250 grain Big Lube Boolit. It is my main match revolver.

GW2

Curley, I'd be glad to pay for shipping. These are the Express birdshead grips.. The Turnbull Case hardening from what I'm told is the real old fashioned charcoal method with a lot more color than the case coloring done on most guns.

curley

ps: so what are they doing for CCH if Turnbull isn't doing them? I hadn't heard this info..

Curley,

EMF stopped selling the Turnbull CCH guns about two years ago (it was an extra-charge option, essentially), except for stock on hand. I recently got an e-mail from EMF offering the last of their stock of Turnbull Californians, in .38/.357, but I can't use those. They said at the time that the extra charge for the Turnbull work had become 'too much' to pass on to buyers. The 'regular' Californians' CCH is done, presumably, by Pietta during manufacture. The two 'stock' CCH ones I have look pretty good, but not like the Turnbull work, obviously. But I love them just the same. They look like what the average under-paid 'puncher would have owned and carried, I'm guessing.

Ornery Cuss

Early EMF Turnbull CCH

Taylors CCH

The above pix is one of my pair of 4 3/4, with some of the early Turnbull CCH. The second pix is of a Taylors (it is the bottom gun in the pix) and the CCH is all but gone, and it spends most of its time in the safe.

Sorry I don't have the express models. But I do have the standard grips...if wanted.

good shootin

curley

These are my new GW IIs with Turnbull case hardening. I need to match up either grip or both I'd like suggestions. http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1043/12857190/22934993/395563308.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1043/12857190/22934993/395563301.jpg

Archived