SASS Wire Forum

getting starter

cimarron

My first post.

I am thinking about getting started in cowboy shooting, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

Where to buy the ammo, I have asked at several shops in the area [Kokomo indiana] nobody has any,

I have found some ammo on line.

What is the difference between a standard 38 spl. 158 Gr. round and a 38 spl. 158 Gr. cowboy round ?

What is a good place to buy cowboy clothing on line ?

I like the Uberti rifles but can hot fine a dealer or shop that will talk about the Uberti line ,where can I get one ?

Thank you

Guest diablo slim shootist

almost all your questions can be answered at you closest cowboy shooting club

almost all your questions can be answered in a search on your computer

all ammo for our sport must be all lead bullet with no gas checks under 1000ft per sec

most all 38sp regardless of manufacture will work-Texas jacks web site is a good one

for clothes -there are too many others to name-as far as guns the SASS classified has

good deals all the time -look up Cimmaron Guns on your search for Uberti.

Hope that helps -welcome to the fire -Diablo Slim

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Besides the good info Slim gave you, join SASS (on-line). It will give you the monthly "Cowboy Chronicle" with lots of good ads for guns. clothes. leather, etc. It will also give you the locations and contact #s on the 15 Cowboy Action Clubs in Indiana. Pull up your boots and saddle up for a lot of great new friends and fun!

Hoss Carpenter

For cloths, I wouldn't worry too much. Basic blue jeans, a long sleeve shirt, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat are all you need to fit in and are allowed by the rules. Once you start shooting, you can look at the costume categories to see if that's where you want to shoot and then you can start the bigger cloths purchases.

Most clubs have people selling cloths and guns. If you go to the matches you'll see what people are shooting and they will probably let you shoot some of their stuff for sale. Just let people know you're looking, particularly the match director, and people will come by and offer what they have.

Most people reload so you're not at the mercy of finding ammo. It's not that hard to do and the Cowboys and Girls will help you out to get started. As was stated earlier, most .38 special lead ammo will work. However, for the lever rifle, you need to find flat nose bullets so you don't risk the nose of the bullet setting off the primer of the bullet above it. The flat nose loaded ammunition is harder to get commercially but flat nose lead bullets are easy to find for reloading.

I didn't know much about shooting when I started, so, for me, it was easier to get something and start shooting. Double barrel shotguns are probably the easiest to start with. They usually require some Cowboy gunsmithing to work, so if you can find one for sale from a Cowboy that's been worked on, that will do you well. I happened to get two Ruger .357s to start. They have been great and shoot .38 calibers. I made a mistake and bought a Henry Big Boy Rifle. That just wouldn't work at all once I got faster. I traded it in. I have a Marlin Cowboy Special '94 in .357 and a Uberti (Winchester clone) '73. Both are good guns.

Come out and join us and have some fun.

...for clubs closest to you, go to the top of this page, click on affiliated clubs, click on Indiana area, find the clubs closest to you. Go visit them. The folks there will be able to help you the most in navigating your way around regarding getting guns, ammo, and such.

...and remember, this is a game, it's supposed to be fun.

I will try to help but would prefer you get second opinions. One source for the .38 ammo I hear about is Ga arms?? but you must remember that you need ammo that is suitable for rifles also, if that is what you have/get. I think it is real popular for many to use a 38spec loaded long with the 125gr truncated cone bullets in their rifles and pistols. Gun style matters so ask for ammo specifics after you select the guns. I almost always buy my clothes at the big annual shoots, not only does it support those who support our matches it allows me to see and negotiate for what I want. Weird about the Ubertis, you must live in a small area? Though non of our local shops particularly cater to CAS, there are always a few cowboy guns available.

'First things first' is to decide what you want out of SASS shooting. Do you want to be a kid playing a higher stakes game of cowboy, do you seek titles and trophys, perhaps there is something more historical that you want recreate in through roll playing. These questions are what will lead you in an organized direction, atleast until you change yore mind (the first time).

MONEY MONEY MONEY, the great separator will rear its head here and opinions will vary also but I suggest researching your guns first and most thoroughly. Guns are going to be the most expensive mistakes so spend the extra time asking about them and how they relate to your stated needs/desires. If money is not a deal breaker you might want to check into pre-tuned guns that are offered by a well known and reputable gunsmith, cheaper in the long run than buying and having tuned later. Save money for the big items by budget shopping for the less critical items such as clothing, hats, boots and to some extent leather. Minimum dress code gets you in the gate very cheaply if you watch for bargains at GOOD WILL. I have several passable hats that came from GOOD WILL and the jeans, long sleeve shirts, vests etc etc are piled up there at give away pricing. I know of a couple of guys who actually consider the bargain hunt to be more fun than the shooting????

You've gotten some good advice. I'd like to add my thoughts, but being new myself, take them for what they're worth. I'm just not into "dress up" games. Its just not my thing, so for me its minimal costuming. I love to shoot and I like the romance of the old west, and I like historical weapons. So for me its Colt and Colt clones and Winchester rifle clones as far as the guns go, and a SxS coach shotgun. I'm not competitive by nature, so I'm not after trophies and such, I just like to shoot. I'll never be fast, or if I am it'll be an accident :wub:

As far as clothing, I settled on Wrangler blue jeans and denim jackets, a bandana, hat of course (an inexpensive one, I don't normally wear hats), and for footwear, a pair of kinda old timey looking leather lace up dress shoes that would pass somewhat for what a "townie" might have worn. I've never been able to find cowboy boots that were comfortable. I've seen pleanty of moccassins and non-boots at the two matches I went to before joining. Clothing can be done cheap or you can go hog wild, its up to you.The SASS Links button on the main page will direct you to all manner of suppliers for equipment and clothing. I bought my denim jackets and vest on sale a few months ago at Shepplers online, not one of the links. I also like watches, and I've got a couple of old pocket watches from the late 1800's that that I can wear as part of the costume and that pretty much covers the basics. You can easily find inexpensive quartz pocket watches that would ad to the costume.

Good leather is important. Cheap might get you started, but you'll soon find it unsuitable for the rigors of holstering and unholstering your guns a lot over several matches. If you really get into it and go to a lot of matches, this game requires more shooting in a year than most cowboys probably shot in 5 or 10 years and I suspect it wears out inferior leather products rather quickly. Buy the best you can afford, but go to a local match and ask opinions.

The ammo question has been covered though I'd add that reloading is your friend. It can be expensive to get started. Anywhere from about $300 for a single stage press, scales, dies, etc. to several hundred more for a progressive with all the bells and whistles. But, it will pay for itself over time, especially if you shoot one or two matches a month regularly. A progressive press much more so just from a time saving standpoint. I need to upgrade to a progressive press. It took me 4 hours to load 140 rounds of ammo the other day. I could have done as much a 400 -500 hundred in an hour with a progressive. 38 Spl is easy and cheap to reload. Its not rocket science, though attention to detail is critical for safety. Plus, reloading allows you to taylor a load that will work acceptably in all your guns. An accurate load in one may have wildly different results in another, so by reloading you can find a load that may not be the best in any particular gun, but will be acceptable in all.

This best advise I could give you is to go to a couple of cowboy shoots in your area... look at what people are using, try them out (most all cowboys will let you give their guns a try) and ask questions there. I know you will find lots of folks willing to help.

Good luck and enjoy.

FV

:wub:

As has been said go to some shoots, read the rule books and decide what Category you want to shoot before you start buying guns. Some like Classic Cowboy and B-Western require specific guns. At our club one of the best ways for a new shooter to get started is contact a board member, find out when there is a work day. Let them know you plan to come and help and would like to try out some different guns, it works every time. If you can't do that just show up at a shoot and talk to folks, most are willing to let you try their guns after the match.

To see some different clothing and such check out the archives on my blog.

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

There is currently something more important than Cowboy Shooting on the first page.

For B=Western clothes try Drysdales or Sheplers. For traditional clothing at a good price try Hamilton Dry Goods or go to a Annual match and check out the vendors, most have really good vendors on site.

Welcome to the fire.

Randy

Curley

Curley Scout

I would like to comment on clothing. The gear you see me in in the Curley pix is an old Arrow dress shirt with the collar cut off, a pair of black Kmart jeans with tags, and belt loops cut off. Batchlor buttons to add suspenders. The vest was on a clearance rack from the last EOT. (yes the hat was expensive but the boots were on sale...) Watch for sale items. also go to thrift stores. I know more than one pard that gets most of their outfits there.

The Scout outfit came together by getting the leather shirt on sale, and now here is the big tip. I got the army pants for the cost of shipping. If you need something post your wants on the wire. More often than not you can get stuff cheap or even just for shipping from someone that has what you need and they don't need it any more. I got boots for about a third of what they sell for. and boy are they comfy..I sold a holster rig to a pard for almost nothing and he was thrilled.

Use your imagination. To me and Old Top that is half the fun in this game....

good luck and show us pix.

curley

PS check out my photo pages and you can see some other ideas on clothes, gunz and gear, on me and other pards.

http://sdough.smugmug.com

Take about a 2 hr drive up to Michigan City tomorrow & go to Kempf Gun Shop. They can get you outfitted in guns, ammo, basic leather & clothes at a reasonable price. http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

Specially-marketed "Cowboy" ammo is a rip-off $$$ :rolleyes: . As noted, ANY lead bullet ammo, especially with a flat point for rifle use, is suitable. It doesn't even have to be round-nose flat point; semi wadcutter or even wadcutter will do, 'tho wadcutters will be problematical in feeding in the long guns.

Goodwill has been mentioned for clothes. Thrift shops in general are good sources. I like the Salvation Army, they do good stuff with the $$ I give them. As noted, you don't have to go crazy with historical accuracy in the clothes, a simple plaid shirt, jeans, hat, boots. Even boots aren't actually REQUIRED, ecept in some costume categories, plain shoes will do.

Neighbor to your East here, in Ohio. Mr. Duncan was right, if you can make it to Cutters or some other local club, they will surely help. As for where to get the loot you need and what guns you should buy, there are as many thoughts and opinions as there are cowboys. Don't do like me and run out and buys the guns that the first person I talked to told me to get. Go to a shoot or two, talk to the folks, try there various guns, think about what you want to get out of cowboy action and then buy your guns. If there is anything I can do for ya, just send me a pm on the wire and I will do what I can.

Great advise from all. I concur get out and talk with other cowboys they'll let you handle their guns and will be you best source of advise s far as rigs, guns, clothes and where all this stuff is available.

Welcome to the frey and 1st and foremost have fun!

Cowboy ammo is marketed as such because it generally has lighter loads than regular ammo. You can use any lead ammo, but be wary that you might be getting higher velocities than SASS permits. I had a bad experience with ammo from Georgia Arms because it shot VERY hot compared to the "cowboy" loads. In addition to the unacceptable muzzle flip, I got some comments that I was trying to break the targets. Since then I've stuck to designated "Cowboy" ammo.

-Solo Sam

+ 1 On Kempf Gun Shop. I have bought guns, clothes and reloading equipment from them. They a great supporters of SASS and the Cowboy Way. Good prices, great service you really can't find anybody much better.

Good luck & fun shooting,

Marlin Buckhorn

Welcome Pard!

You've got good advice already.

About clothing, I like Wild West Merchantile. They support SASS events, have good sales, and a great variety.

About leather, you will need to decide if you want a cross draw (CD) or double strong side (DSS). You can learn to use either. However, if you are shooting Gunfighter (two guns at a time) or Double Duelist (one gun at a time with left hand shooting left gun and right hand shooting right gun) style, only a DSS will work. If you shoot duelist with only one hand, you will need a CD. If you shoot with a two-handed grip, either will work.

Like others have said, go to a match and talk to folks and try their stuff.

Happy Trails!

Allie Mo

Howdy & Welcome to the fire!

My first post.

I am thinking about getting started in cowboy shooting, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

First of all, if'n yer "thinkin" of cowboy shootin" ya's got to go see a match or two. No amount of readin' or browsin' this 'ere web, 'specially the SASS wire!, will help much if any at this point. Get up to Paradise Pass (Etna Green, IN) , Atlanta Cattle Company (Atlanta, IN), or the Circle R Cowboys (Brookston, IN) at their next shoot and check out the FUN! We Circle R boys are done fer the season, but have been known to ride for the other brands off-season. I cain't say for the Atlanta club, but them Cutter's boys are a hardy bunch and shoot year-round. Search for their website fer the times and a map.

Where to buy the ammo, I have asked at several shops in the area [Kokomo indiana] nobody has any,

I have found some ammo on line. What is the difference between a standard 38 spl. 158 Gr. round and a 38 spl. 158 Gr. cowboy round ?

Some say "cowboy" ammo is less powerful than the standard stuff, but it sure ain't worth payin' any extry gold dust fer either. Git the cheapest ya can find. If'n ya like this game, ya'll be reloadin' in no time flat, and that is the way to go.

What is a good place to buy cowboy clothing on line ?

Too many places to list here. I like Tonto Rim in Seymour, IN.

I like the Uberti rifles but can hot fine a dealer or shop that will talk about the Uberti line ,where can I get one ?

As far as firearms, you can check out the Uberti importer websites, or the dealers, but they'll tend to steer ya to buy what they have in stock. Uberti is the manufacturer, and there are several importers of this brand, all appearing to be of differing quality. I suggest posting another note on this 'ere wire to the effect of "I'm new and looking at the Uberti 18xx in .xx calibre. I want the xx" barrel. Are you happy with yours? Any ones to stay away from?" Be as specific as possible. Remember, every pard's got an opinion. Best suggestion is to come to a shoot and try some out. Y'ul be AMAZED at how helpful pards can be. When ya do find one ya like, then ask around for that specific one at the local gunshops/gunshows. If they can get one, buy it there. If not, find one on the internet and have it transferred - but give your local shop the FIRST chance.

Again, WELCOME! It's the most fun ya kin have standin' up! well, 'er, maybe... :FlagAm:

ol' poke

Bienvenidos, Cimarron!

My first post.

I have found some ammo on line. Ammo Direct

What is the difference between a standard 38 spl. 158 Gr. round and a 38 spl. 158 Gr. cowboy round ? First of all, you want lead bullets, not jacketed or hollow points. Cowboy ammo is generally lower powered, which helps a person shoot faster AND makes our targets last longer. Steel is expensive.

What is a good place to buy cowboy clothing on line ? As has been said, Texas Jacks, and River Junction are good. But check your local Goodwill store for shirts, bandannas, boots, hats.

I like the Uberti rifles but can hot fine a dealer or shop that will talk about the Uberti line ,where can I get one ? You might try ordering direct from Pioneer Gun Works. Good stuff!

Thank you

Buena suerte,

eGG

Archived