SASS Wire Forum

If You Own a Rossi 92

Barterin Bill

If you own a 92 and don't have Nate's DVD, you need to get it. I got info from all the web sites I could find and slicked up my 92. Then I bought Nate's DVD and ejector spring. I spent a couple of hours working on my gun last night and it's great. It was pretty smooth before, but Nate has a couple of tips that I didn't see any where else. It wouldn't have taken me so long, but I don't have a bench grinder and used files and a Dremmel to do everything. When I got finished I tried .357 and .38 in it and they both feed as fast as I can run it. I may outrun it one day, but for now it is all the gun I need. Just for a test I ran some empty huills through it. I can't feed them as fast as laoded or dummy cartridges, but I thought it was pretty good to be able to feed empities at all. I've handled 73's and 66's and I'm not saying it compares, but I've also shot slicked up Marlin's that seemed about the same. I did shoot a Marlin that was easier to work the lever, but the hammer spring was cut so much that it was real particular about what primers you could use and even then you had to recock and strike a second time to get it to fire sometimes. Even if you don't want to modify your gun, the DVD is great for disassembly and cleaning. Although if you ever felt a gun with these mods, I don't know why you would want to keep one stock.

Thanks Nate for providing a service that all CAS shooters with a Rossi need.

+1 on Nate and his DVD! I got it and his parts and ended up with a right nice rifle in the process. Not everyones favorite mind you but it works just fine for me. Smithy.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

I'm happy that you used a dremel tool on your rifle without destroying it. Although I think I'll soldier on without it, Nate's DVD must instill the proper use of power tools.

That is commendable as most hand fitting is really just that. Fitting the parts with unpowered tools. You'd be surprized how often that dremel gunsmithing goes bad. Sometimes everything in the shop is here to be repaired after being "smithed" with a dremel or grinder.

Anything that keeps people from destroying their '92s in an effort to shoot faster for cheaper sounds good to me.

Joe

Steve is a accomplished gunsmith. I know him very well as some say we look alike and I have been mistaken for him at the range in Lake Charles ,La. What he does comes from many years of working on these guns. I would not use a Dremel until I had more time on the bench. I have several armorer school diploma's from S&W, Sig, Ruger, Remington. I have seen many parts that had to be canned because of too much metal removed. A good set of Swiss files from Brownells is a good start. More may be removed but it can not be put back. As a good carpenter will tell you measure twice and cut once.I'm in no way saying that you can't use these tools to preform gun work but if you are not trained then use a slower method.

I had a friend turn his Browning Hi Power into a full auto weapon by using a dremel on the sear (probably the worst part to use a power tool on)

I was shocked when he stepped up to the firing line and touched off a round and it shot and shot and shot.....

He really didn't learn his lesson....but I sure did...

think I will get Nates dvd since I have 3 92's and Old Top has one that is giving him trouble (mine are working fine, but his has feed problems.)

curley

I'm happy that you used a dremel tool on your rifle without destroying it. Although I think I'll soldier on without it, Nate's DVD must instill the proper use of power tools.

That is commendable as most hand fitting is really just that. Fitting the parts with unpowered tools. You'd be surprized how often that dremel gunsmithing goes bad. Sometimes everything in the shop is here to be repaired after being "smithed" with a dremel or grinder.

Anything that keeps people from destroying their '92s in an effort to shoot faster for cheaper sounds good to me.

Joe

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed! I used the DVD info and parts to do my PUMA .45. I can't cycle it fast enough to fool it now! Just finished a .357 with the same method. It took all of the "grittyness" out of them both.

I've heard of a lot of people who have / had trouble wih the Rossi's but mine is earning respect around here!

Once the snow stops later on, I'll drop out to the range and try the .357!

Zeke

Agreed! I used the DVD info and parts to do my PUMA .45. I can't cycle it fast enough to fool it now! Just finished a .357 with the same method. It took all of the "grittyness" out of them both.

I've heard of a lot of people who have / had trouble wih the Rossi's but mine is earning respect around here!

Once the snow stops later on, I'll drop out to the range and try the .357!

Zeke

Mine will even shoot in the snow.

If it's in the snow how can you see the sights?

Isn't it cold trying to get down low enough to use it?

How can you see your target?

Isn't levering a problem?

Okay...I'm going back out to the shop and load another 1000 rounds or so. ;^)

I bought his DVD and ejector springs.

Did both my .45 & .357.

They both run great now.

The problem with dings on my brass in the .357 went away too.

If it's in the snow how can you see the sights?

Isn't it cold trying to get down low enough to use it?

How can you see your target?

Isn't levering a problem?

Okay...I'm going back out to the shop and load another 1000 rounds or so. ;^)

I didn't say I could hit anything. I imagine levering would be easier in light powder.

Guy's thanks so much. I know how to do the gun but I can’t take credit for the DVD. The folks at Horizon Productions get the credit for that. The Producer Ray Shank knew all the right questions to ask so a total novice could do it.

To those that are afraid of dremel tools, I guess a feller's just got to know his limitations. :FlagAm:

The flip side of that is tlearning to become a decent gunsmith aint about the books and tools. It a series of expensive mistakes you hope to never repeat.

Guy's thanks so much. I know how to do the gun but I can’t take credit for the DVD. The folks at Horizon Productions get the credit for that. The Producer Ray Shank knew all the right questions to ask so a total novice could do it.

To those that are afraid of dremel tools, I guess a feller's just got to know his limitations. :D

The flip side of that is tlearning to become a decent gunsmith aint about the books and tools. It a series of expensive mistakes you hope to never repeat.

I agree completely. I'm not sure how any gun-tinkerer can get by without a dremel. You can't even polish a feed ramp without one. I don't get nervous until the bench grinder comes out :wacko: .

I don't have my SASS rifle yet, but I am now heavily leaning towards the Rossi. I was planning on getting a Marlin but with Nate's DVD and parts, the Rossi sounds like a fun project.

i got a 92 emf hartford.i got the video and did the works to it.i found that mine is still finiky on the overall lenth of cartrige and only likes 158 gr with 38's.when i found what length it liked i found the gun to run very smooth.easy to do and well worth the time.plus it helps you learn the insides of your gun like you really need to.hes a very helpful and nice guy to deal with.highly recommend him myself. A+++++

lead ace

sass87176

To those that are afraid of dremel tools, I guess a feller's just got to know his limitations. :P

NKJ,

I just finished watching your video - now it is time for me to get to work!

Thanks for sharing your experience so the maybe we won't repeat those 'expensive mistakes'.

Not wanting to bugger up screws etc. I took the easy way out and bought a gun from Steve and had him work on it. It is really slick, did not know at the time I really wanted him to cut a half inch off the stock as I have to reach a little to fully open the lever. I will live with it until I get my overbored 44 mag carbine rebarreled then sent to steve for slicking. Will be smart this time and get on the list and send him the gun a week or two before he can work on it.

Not complaining, but when you want the best, there are a bunch of others out there that want him too. I would rather wait than he compromise the quality of his work just to shorten wait times.

Will be smart this time and get on the list and send him the gun a week or two before he can work on it.

.... I would rather wait than he compromise the quality of his work just to shorten wait times.

Does this mean that you can make an appointment, hang onto and use your gun for weeks or months. and then ship it when your turn rolls around for faster turnaround? That seems like an amazing idea!

:P

That's because he's an "Amazing" guy. Great pard, wealth of knowledge, done business with him since 2001. Proud to call him "Friend"!!

I lucked out. Just bought an SS 92 with the NKJ job already done for $450 from James Henry Parcker. What a blessing for a new SASS member. As you can tell I am as proud as can be of it. I am a believer of the, now Famous, Nate Kiowa Jones. :FlagAm:

Ya need a DVD to slick up a '92?

No offense to Nate, cause he is a fine pard, but I went to Marauder's website and got my instructions and instructions on several others as well.

Guess I'm jest cheap, but the instructions seem to have worked for me. Others who have shot my '92 are impressed with it. I can cycle it with one finger so it is ok I reckon.

It is a good thing that there are folks like Nate that do not mind sharing their knowledge and helping out the rest of us.

Thanks, Nate. Even though I didn't purchase your DVD.

Doc McGee

I am a new member of SASS and I have shot in one cowboy action match. I have revolvers and a shotgun but had to borrow a rifle. I was considering buying a Rossi 92 because it is the cheapest I have found but I was told by another member that they were unreliable and that I should buy a model 73. After reading the recent posts about the 92 I'm thinking that the 92 with a little work might be as good as a 73. I would appreciate comments (advice) about this. Also, I would like to knoe how to purchase Nates DVD. Thanks.

I am a new member of SASS and I have shot in one cowboy action match. I have revolvers and a shotgun but had to borrow a rifle. I was considering buying a Rossi 92 because it is the cheapest I have found but I was told by another member that they were unreliable and that I should buy a model 73. After reading the recent posts about the 92 I'm thinking that the 92 with a little work might be as good as a 73. I would appreciate comments (advice) about this. Also, I would like to knoe how to purchase Nates DVD. Thanks.

Nothin' really wrong with the '92. They're rough (can be smoothed out), can't be "short stroked" to run as fast as the '66/'73s (doesn't matter much if you're not a top 1% shooter anyway), and can have feeding problems. The feeding problems are mostly related to the length of the cartridges, especially in the .357/.38. They're set up for .357; .38s, especially with shorter (lighter weight) bullets, tend to not get lined up with the chamber quite right. If you reload, keep your overall length over 1.500 or 1.550, and you should be OK. Or even reload on .357 brass to .38 levels. Putting a shim under the cartridge guides often helps. See Nate's or Maurader's sites for details. If you don't already have your rifle, Nate also sells '92s already tuned. This gives you a slight savings as it saves shipping at least one way, and I presume Nate can buy wholesale and sell under retail, plus the cost of the work.

It looks like I will have a NKJ Rossi 92 before long as I have started a work order for one that he has in stock. I want to thank the people that posted in this thread about NKJ as without you I would not have found out about him in time.

Archived