SASS Wire Forum

Are we faster, or the same

Florida Lawman

Thanks Creeker, I agree and understand what you're talking about.

I never really knew that there are people in SASS that could pull off a 15 second 10-10-4 stage. That definitly would be a FAST GUN!

Semper Fi!

:FlagAm:

Had three on my posse yesterday. A 4th showed up just to pick up his rifle........slow day!

Wyatt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to the question posted by the starter of this topic Florida Lawman "Are we faster, or the same" I believe that many variables have had an effect on the speed of our shooters and our stage times. I have not been here from the beginning, very few have, but I have been playing this fun game for about 8 years now and have seen several distinct changes that I believe have effected stage times. I will try to explain them as I see them.

I bought a Cody rifle about 7 years ago, as Dang it Dan mentioned many top guns today are using 3rd gen short strokes now and the Cody rifles are about on par with the 3rd gen short strokes for stroke length. As far as I can see rifle equipment changes have made little difference in the past 7 years. Pistols are now available short stroked and on certain hammer profiles, like the Ruger Bisley that I shoot, they can make a large difference. Again I bought mine and had them short stroked by Wes Flowers about 6 years ago so nothing really new since then. Rifles and shotguns have not changed much although the Chinese clones of the 97 seem to be better now than 7 years ago when I bought most of mine. I am using the same leather that I got as my first competition rig from Bob Mernicle, a Red Cent Palmer rig and it is still very competitive.

In short I don't believe that equipment has had much effect in the last 7 years, from 25 years ago sure but not in the last seven.

What has changes a lot is the speed and techniques of the top shooters themselves and how many truly good shooters there are out there.

When I got started my stage times were respectable. Mid to high 20 second range which was not bad as a former IPSC shooter. The problem was that I had no idea how to really go about getting them better. For my first 2-3 years I was one of the faster guys regularly shooting in my local area and I did not yet know the "Top Gun's". I then met a shooter from up north that moved down here named Seven. He helped show me, and many others what, where, and how to practice to get faster. This one thing has made more of a difference to my game than anything else. We started practicing together regularly, began to analyze how to change our techniques more, got even more new faster guys started like Arcadia Outlaw, and John E. Law. Then they began to help analyze what we were all doing and help push the bar higher. Most of the fast shooters that I know also practice on small targets, 6-10 inch plates. This helps sight focus and reminds you to am at a part of that big huge plate and not just at the plate itself.

To me, the number of willing helpers, all top shooters, now around SASS is greater than ever before. I believe that because of that the bar will continue to be raised because many people will be trying to do so. Also if you are willing to put the time in you can become a competitive shooter in SASS now faster than ever before due to all of the willing good help out there. It took me 3 years to get pretty fast and several of the newer guys like Arcadia and JEL have done it in less than 2. That is a good thing. With people willing to help teach their fellow shooters the shortcuts we will have more fast shooters to keep things moving.

In addition ALL of the fast shooters in Florida under the age of 50, and many over, are actively either running a club, on the board of a club, helping to run one, or running the state match.

I can say that I count ALL of them in Florida and many other states as well, as my friends. And I believe that the top shooters are the backbone of SASS.

-Deadlee

In response to the question posted by the starter of this topic Florida Lawman "Are we faster, or the same" I believe that many variables have had an effect on the speed of our shooters and our stage times. I have not been here from the beginning, very few have, but I have been playing this fun game for about 8 years now and have seen several distinct changes that I believe have effected stage times. I will try to explain them as I see them.

I bought a Cody rifle about 7 years ago, as Dang it Dan mentioned many top guns today are using 3rd gen short strokes now and the Cody rifles are about on par with the 3rd gen short strokes for stroke length. As far as I can see rifle equipment changes have made little difference in the past 7 years. Pistols are now available short stroked and on certain hammer profiles, like the Ruger Bisley that I shoot, they can make a large difference. Again I bought mine and had them short stroked by Wes Flowers about 6 years ago so nothing really new since then. Rifles and shotguns have not changed much although the Chinese clones of the 97 seem to be better now than 7 years ago when I bought most of mine. I am using the same leather that I got as my first competition rig from Bob Mernicle, a Red Cent Palmer rig and it is still very competitive.

In short I don't believe that equipment has had much effect in the last 7 years, from 25 years ago sure but not in the last seven.

What has changes a lot is the speed and techniques of the top shooters themselves and how many truly good shooters there are out there.

When I got started my stage times were respectable. Mid to high 20 second range which was not bad as a former IPSC shooter. The problem was that I had no idea how to really go about getting them better. For my first 2-3 years I was one of the faster guys regularly shooting in my local area and I did not yet know the "Top Gun's". I then met a shooter from up north that moved down here named Seven. He helped show me, and many others what, where, and how to practice to get faster. This one thing has made more of a difference to my game than anything else. We started practicing together regularly, began to analyze how to change our techniques more, got even more new faster guys started like Arcadia Outlaw, and John E. Law. Then they began to help analyze what we were all doing and help push the bar higher. Most of the fast shooters that I know also practice on small targets, 6-10 inch plates. This helps sight focus and reminds you to am at a part of that big huge plate and not just at the plate itself.

To me, the number of willing helpers, all top shooters, now around SASS is greater than ever before. I believe that because of that the bar will continue to be raised because many people will be trying to do so. Also if you are willing to put the time in you can become a competitive shooter in SASS now faster than ever before due to all of the willing good help out there. It took me 3 years to get pretty fast and several of the newer guys like Arcadia and JEL have done it in less than 2. That is a good thing. With people willing to help teach their fellow shooters the shortcuts we will have more fast shooters to keep things moving.

In addition ALL of the fast shooters in Florida under the age of 50, and many over, are actively either running a club, on the board of a club, helping to run one, or running the state match.

I can say that I count ALL of them in Florida and many other states as well, as my friends. And I believe that the top shooters are the backbone of SASS.

-Deadlee

You ought ta run for president of something. Very well said, and makes sense also.

RRR

Archived