SASS Wire Forum

Funniest match moments?

Shooting Bull

Ay my first major match, I pulled the first pistol and, when it came out, my Crown Royal loading bag was hanging off the front sight. Shooting clean while laughing should earn a bonus.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son Slim won a pound of APP at the club picnic. I didn't want it to go to waste so at the next match all of his ammo was loaded with the APP. He said that it wasn't quite fair that he couldn't see the targets. He made me shoot one stage with the smoky stuff and beat me.

See the youtube video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDo7t0IYFg

A bunch of shooters were practiceing a stage and ahead of me was The Famous Gun Fighter Bad River Marty! Someone called him off the loading table so he grounded his pistols and S&R. While he was back talking I went up to the line with his pistols and shot them dry then returned them to the loading table. A couple of us shot the stage then I told BRM we were waiting for him. He came up holstered up. When the buzzer went off he made the fastest 10 clicks youv'e ever heard! He was quick to look for me rolling on the ground laughing! I've paid for it but what fun this sport can be!! NBC

At one match 2 shotgun targets were set at such an angle that both could be knocked down if you placed the shot right. One of the better shooters, gamer, and very confident shooters commented on how it easy it would be to knock both down. As he picked up the shotgun he said "Watch this" and dropped to one knee and give himself the perfect angle to nail both, he pulled the trigger and missed both. Lots of hoots and hollers after that. I got both without dropping to me knees and so did a couple of other guys.

At a shoot there was a pard who had a bit of difficulty with his Ruger Old Armies. He always loaded up enough cylinders to make a full match.

Well, this particular time he musta left some oil in three or four chambers in one cylinder. When they fired there was a loud POO with lots of smoke and burning BP coming out of the Ruger! Even standing to the side you could see the ball go down range. The shots were just a "tad" short of the targets and actually bounced when they hit the ground. Velocity musta been lower than my old BB gun!

We accused him of gamer loading his Ruger and we all got a good laugh.

Another time the weather was inclement to say the least. It was cold and damp because it had been raining so the humidity was very high and there was almost no breeze. What little breeze there was was blowing in the shooter's face barely enough to clear the Goex smoke. The bay had very high berms all around and was narrow, probably only about 30 feet wide at the firing line. Yes, that was narrow for the range we were at.

I shoot Goex and the last shots of the stage were three shotgun targets. I loaded four 12 gauge shells to take down the three targets and pulled both triggers with the last shot. There was so much smoke behind me that everyone was coughing and hacking. As I walked to the unloading table one young lady said, as she exhaled a cloud of BP smoke, Y'know I just quit smoking! Someone mentioned needing a gas mask, too.

I got a laugh out of it anyway. It is odd though, for the rest of the stages the posse stayed well back of me and the Timer tried to get as much upwind as he could.

This one really isn't funny, but more of a caution to watch the safety of the stage props. We were shooting in SE Idaho from a fort. Ten rounds from the upper walkway, then down the stairs and around a corner to finish the stage.

As I rounded the corner my arm brushed against a support post for the upper walkway. It felt like I'd maybe scratched the skin on my arm through the heavy shirt I was wearing. I finished the stage and went to the unloading table. I looked at my arm and my red shirt was a LOT redder than it had been. Fortunately, this range has large outhouses with fresh water for washing so I could clean up the wound. I pushed the triangaular shaped flap of hide back in place, wrapped my arm in my RED SILK bandana and finished the remaining three stages.

I then drove 30 or so miles to one of those walk in clinics open on Saturday and had them look at my arm. After a tetanus shot and fifteen stitches to fasten the triangular skin flap back in place I was good to go.

When I finally got home, my wife just about had a coronary and gave me He.. about finishing the shoot. Shucks, I figured it stopped bleeding so wasn't too much of a concern. I reckon I've been called a tough old fart moren once.

Figured out what happened, someone had left a large nail sticking out of the support post where I snagged my arm.

So a word to the wise, just make sure that your stage props are safe, too.

Doc McGee

Two years ago at our annual, I designed a stage that called for firing two shotgun, running ten steps, and firing two more. Okay to load while running, so long as you don't close the action until the next to last step (travelling rule).

So, here is what I did:

a. I designed the stage;

b. I did the set up;

c. I walked the Posse Marshalls through the stage, warning about the travelling rule;

d. I read the scenario to my Posse, and warned about the travelling rule;

e. I timed the first six shooters, telling each they could load on the run, but don't close the action too early;

F ~ I loaded on the run and closed the action and took three more steps. Last stage of the match, first to last in my category in three easy steps!

I didn't even fire those two shotgun rounds. Just unloaded & turned to the TO, who was standing there with his mouth open, and said, "Stage DQ." And I have been laughing about it ever since!

Yep, Match Directors have such an advantage!

Grinning,

eGG

:rolleyes: Which one?; so many to choose? Here are two quick ones: Indiana State Shoot 2009; we had to reload one rifle round to finish the rifle string. I

loaded one, pulled trigger - no go - loaded another - no go - loaded the third and last round on my belt - no go - set rifle down - shot shot gun. Got to the

unloading table and realized they were my dumbie rounds. I had never replaced them with live rounds. So...who was the dumbie?:blush: A friend of mine

(who will remain nameless, because I don't want the grief for telling this story to the entire wire) was shooting a stage that ended with shotgun. He grabbed

his shot gun - shot the first popper - knocked it down.....then silence. He finally looked at his guns trigger area, turned to he possee and said his back trigger

had fallen off. You should have seen his face (it was truly priceless). He started looking on the ground and several cowboys started to help. Then the

shooter standing at the loading table yelled - "You shot my shotgun. It only has ONE trigger". They could hear us laughing in the next county. :blink:

one pistol not loaded. All of those "clicks" on empty chambers was pretty embarrassing. :rolleyes:

First day of the match, first stage of the day, first gun to be fired. I should have gone home at that point, because nothing improved. I finished just ahead of two guys who dropped out because of physical issues and a fella with a MDQ.

:rolleyes: Which one?; so many to choose? Here are two quick ones: Indiana State Shoot 2009; we had to reload one rifle round to finish the rifle string. I

loaded one, pulled trigger - no go - loaded another - no go - loaded the third and last round on my belt - no go - set rifle down - shot shot gun. Got to the

unloading table and realized they were my dumbie rounds. I had never replaced them with live rounds. So...who was the dumbie?:blush: A friend of mine

(who will remain nameless, because I don't want the grief for telling this story to the entire wire) was shooting a stage that ended with shotgun. He grabbed

his shot gun - shot the first popper - knocked it down.....then silence. He finally looked at his guns trigger area, turned to he possee and said his back trigger

had fallen off. You should have seen his face (it was truly priceless). He started looking on the ground and several cowboys started to help. Then the

shooter standing at the loading table yelled - "You shot my shotgun. It only has ONE trigger". They could hear us laughing in the next county. :blink:

Not too long ago I switched from a double trigger Stoeger to a single trigger SKB. I even practiced with the new gun before taking it to the first match, didn't help. First stage I stood there for what felt like an eternity pulling on the trigger guard thinking it was the second trigger and wondering why that darn gun wouldn't fire. :blush:

At a fun match that we had last summer/earlyfall (if there is such a thing in good ole AZ) While "The" Blue Ridge Ranger was stagging his guns I had the oppotunity to unload every other round in his pistols........Oh what a blast watching him go "bang...click....bang...." And once one prank is played :lol:........

Big Tim,

I'm all for laughing at myself and having fun at a match. However, what you did (messing with another shooter's guns) would get you in big trouble with me, no matter who you did it to. :P

Funny, NOT! However, hubby does say I have no sense of humor. :rolleyes: I think he's wrong. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

well the latest funny moment for me was a few weeks ago at my first attempt at WB shooting. I dropped the empty magazine from my gun, grabbed the fresh magazine from my belt and tried to stuff it into my 1911 upside down. I flipped it around and strangely enough it fit. After the end of the shooting string the TO mentioned how it would work better if I put the bullet end in first.

Big Tim,

I'm all for laughing at myself and having fun at a match. However, what you did (messing with another shooter's guns) would get you in big trouble with me, no matter who you did it to. :P

Funny, NOT! However, hubby does say I have no sense of humor. :rolleyes: I think he's wrong. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

well I must not have a sense of humour either. If someone (even a good friend) messed with my guns I wouldn't be real pleased. :angry:

I carry my shotgun shells in loops on my belt which holds 4 rounds. I carry a couple of extras in my shirt pocket.

I was shooting my 4 shotgun rounds and dropped one on the ground. Reached into my shirt pocket and grabbed a round and threw it into my '97 and slammed it shut. Pulled the trigger and there was a click. Opened the action and about that time my Chap Stick fell out of the barrel.

No longer do I carry a Chap Stick in my shirt pocket.

SCG

I had just finished bloviating about my brandy new Winchchester 1866 Yellowboy in white - so PURTY! - to the guys at the loading table when I was called to the firing line. First gun was the rifle. Beep! I shouldered my pride and joy, gave the lever a tug - and nuthin'. It didn't move a millimeter. Oh, shi'ite! A couple more manly tugs: Nuthin'. My NEW gun! I turned to the TO to say "Oh, noes! My gun's broke! <sob>" However, he's got a Class A SEG on his ugly mug. He winks over at the three pards at the loading table, who are doing their best "angelic innocence" impersonations (admittedly, quite a feat for two o' them). I slowly looked down at the lever, and found the safety catch had been turned to capture the lever.

Twisting the catch back to it's proper location, I asked for a restart. Which was granted as soon as the TO unswallowed his Mexican Rat Dog mustache.

Sheesh.

Had to buy the bastiches a beer after that. Shot the stage clean, too.

At RailHead this year we replaced Lt. Col. Scrathes live pistol ammo with blanks.......TEEHEE

I remember a funny moment from that match. Had something to do with badges. :rolleyes:

Fantastic shoot Big Tim. Sour Kraut and I hope to be able to join you again next year. :P

I had just finished bloviating about my brandy new Winchchester 1866 Yellowboy in white - so PURTY! - to the guys at the loading table when I was called to the firing line. First gun was the rifle. Beep! I shouldered my pride and joy, gave the lever a tug - and nuthin'. It didn't move a millimeter. Oh, shi'ite! A couple more manly tugs: Nuthin'. My NEW gun! I turned to the TO to say "Oh, noes! My gun's broke! <sob>" However, he's got a Class A SEG on his ugly mug. He winks over at the three pards at the loading table, who are doing their best "angelic innocence" impersonations (admittedly, quite a feat for two o' them). I slowly looked down at the lever, and found the safety catch had been turned to capture the lever.

Twisting the catch back to it's proper location, I asked for a restart. Which was granted as soon as the TO unswallowed his Mexican Rat Dog mustache.

Sheesh.

Had to buy the bastiches a beer after that. Shot the stage clean, too.

Hello!

What is with this messing with other folks guns?

I think it is wrong and should get the "messer" a MDQ!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Hubby even agreed that it's not just my lack of a sense of humor.

A very fine gentleman gave me a very valuable lesson in a completely professional manner on how to act at the loading table. I even started a thread here to thank him for it. It's a lesson I'll never forget.

But I started this thread to emphasize the lighter side of our sport. Already too much arguing elsewhere. Let's keep it fun. :P

A very fine gentleman gave me a very valuable lesson in a completely professional manner on how to act at the loading table. I even started a thread here to thank him for it. It's a lesson I'll never forget.

But I started this thread to emphasize the lighter side of our sport. Already too much arguing elsewhere. Let's keep it fun. :P

Philly,

I like you and your posts, especially this one. However, I feel that someone should take issue with a prankster messing with someone else's loaded guns. That is inappropriate and dangerous behavior. I hope I never see or hear of such behavior again.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well, Ms. Moe, you know that I normally cannot disagree with you...

Butte... it was done well, and done safely, with no possibility of damage, the TO was somehow aware and looking for potential safety issues... and I prolly deserved it.

Anyway, the laughter was worth the panic. They got me good.

And it's definitely not your lack of humor; I've benefited many items from observing its bubbling joy. It's probably just a guy thang. Like the spotter's flatus contest, which had the delicate flowers rolling their eyes in disgust. (I came in second, on a disputed call.)

I had been reading the Wire for awhile before joining SASS. I had read about the Pyrodex pellets and how they could be used for cap and ball revolvers. So I got some. I loaded my '60, all six chambers, thinking I'd run out to the land and shoot them. Something came up and I never did. So for my second ever SASS match, the night before, I pulled a ball from one cylinder and shook out (I thought) the powder. First stage, I fire the first round out of the '60, which ignites the Pyrodex remaining in the empty. It threw a jet of flame about two feet, and sounded like a jet engine and lasted two or three seconds. The TO was a 16 year old kid, who'd never seen a cap and ball. He started screaming "Chain fire, Chain fire". His feet were trying to run, but just couldn't quite get started. When the jet engine stopped, I turned around in the COOL COWBOY way, smiled and said, "It'll be allright." At the time, I really wasn't that cool as I wasn't quite sure just what the heck had happened.

Another time I loaded one of my Walker revolvers for a hog hunt, 50 grains of 3f and a 180 grain bullet. I never shot it that day, and figgered I'd just leave it loaded 'till the next match. The next match was at Badlands Bar 3 and our first stage was shooting from inside a cabin. One of the spotters was a sweet lady and fairly new to the game. She was standing right behind me, just enough to one side to see through the window. I touched off the first round, she screamed, "MY GOD, what was that!" and left the cabin. By the time I finished all 5 even the TO was outside waiting for me by my rifle.

My brother, Sawyer, is famous for loading his 10 gauge with 200 grains of 2f, firing the first shot then looking at the TO and asking, "Squib??"

While not funny to the posse, since none of them ever knew it, but twice while levering my '92 I have watched a burning ember of BP float out of the action, over the top of my safety glasses and into my right eye. Both times I finished the stage, but it sure is hard to shoot and cry at the same time. :P

Just this past weekend, while up at the Iron Man match in Candia, NH, I had a fun little "incident."

Stage directions were something like, Pistol 1, Pistol 2.

Move

Rifle 1

Move

Shotgun

Move Rifle 2

Move

Pistol 3 and Pistol 4.

Got to where I was supposed to use pistols 3 and 4.

Drew pistol 3. Click....

I forgot to load it.

Drew pistol 4... Checked.

It wasn't loaded either.

So, I turned around, after holstering, doffed my cap and took a bow.

I felt very silly.

Howdy folks,

I'm the first cowboy to say SASS is about fun. But safety comes first at all times. Allie, I agree with you: Fun is fun, but messing with someone else's loaded guns is just plain stupid. I'd send them packing if they pulled a stunt like that at our range.

I pulled one on Bud once. Bud likes to take his pistol belt off between stages (must be too heavy for a young man to carry). Well, as soon as he did, I strolled over and removed the cylider from each pistol and put the frames back in the holsters. Bud came up for the next stage and grabberd his pistol belt and just buckled it on. When he got to the loading table, he pulled one pistol and.....I swear....opened the loading gate and attempted to spin the missing cylinder!! He stopped and looked at his pistol like someone just stole his puppy. Black Jack and I were laughing so hard it wasn't too hard for him to figure out who done it.

Allie...hope that doesn't trip your "lack of humor" button. But since it was with unloaded guns.....

At Thunder Valley a few years ago there was an unusual stage, you shot your main match pistol at a cardboard target across a table. I was shooting Cap and Ball, and I had my one and only chain fire in 12 years of C&B shooting. It went through the cardboard target, they scored it as good, and I cleaned the stage. I didn't even realize it had happened, but Howdy Doody saw it and was outraged at my luck. His reaction was hilarious, and I don't think he will ever forgive me.

November match at Pawnee Station, stage one you start out shooting out of the outhouse, put your rifle in the rack inside then come out and move on to shoot the other guns. Several folks were having trouble remembering what to do with the rifle when done shooting it, so we'd yell out "rack" to help remind them.

One very cute little lady shooter comes up, her name escapes me, shoots the rifle, puts it in the rack and comes out of the outhouse as we are all still yelling "rack". With her hands about chest high, she says "what about my rack?" or something of the sort. Very funny.

Later she told me she'd never live that down, I said of course not, it'll be on the wire by this afternoon!

Grizz

at the recent CVR shootout one of the stages was shot from the back of a "horse". Several of the ladies were discussing the best way to straddle the horse in their skirts. One little lady (who will be nameless) waited until it was her turn to shoot, placed her guns, wiggled out of her skirt and climbed aboard old paint in her bloomers. The look on the TO's face as proceless.

Last year at Sparta Il. at the end of the match they were giving out awards, they yelled out (Red Rider Ruby) I said here. When he turned around he say,s no way!!!! They not only spelled my name wrong they had put me in Ladys 49'er. Everyone had a good laugh!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad part was at are club shoot the next day EVERYONE there was told about it there was a lot of jokes allday long.

Now to top it all off just received my packit for the ROII class. My certificate has my alias Red River Ruby. Maybe i sould change my alias??????????

Really i'm Red Rider Rudy

Ever try loading 38 ammo in a 45? :FlagAm:

No, but at a match several years ago, we had to load the rifle on the clock.

One of my pards picked up my marlin (357) by mistake thinking it was his(44 mag)

You should have seen him trying to get that first round into the rifle - it was jammed in so hard, it took some effort to get the round out.

I had another pard who picked up a 12 gauge double and loaded it with 20 gauge shells - click click - no bang

Several years ago I tried loading some brass 12ga shells. I used cardboard wads & "sealed" the overshot wad with silicone. I guess I didn't seal them right cause I picked up my twice barreled shootsgun, stuffed 2 shells in slammed it shut & cocked both hammer & let fly with both barrels. Poof, nothing but a little smoke. As I tilted the barrels downwards all the shot rolled down the barrels & out the muzzle on the ground, with the entire posse rolling on the ground laughing & my face strawberry red. I got rid of all 50 of those brass shells.

Several years ago I tried loading some brass 12ga shells. I used cardboard wads & "sealed" the overshot wad with silicone. I guess I didn't seal them right cause I picked up my twice barreled shootsgun, stuffed 2 shells in slammed it shut & cocked both hammer & let fly with both barrels. Poof, nothing but a little smoke. As I tilted the barrels downwards all the shot rolled down the barrels & out the muzzle on the ground, with the entire posse rolling on the ground laughing & my face strawberry red. I got rid of all 50 of those brass shells.

:rolleyes: Talk about mouse fart loads. :wacko:

Archived