SASS Wire Forum

Funniest match moments?

Shooting Bull

Had the most wonderful time at Defend the Roost this past weekend and a particular moment still has me laughing. That has me wondering, what are the funniest moments you've experienced at matches.

Here's the one I mentioned:

Stage called for rifle - pistol - shotgun. (Or maybe pistol - rifle - shotgun) Anyway, after pistols and rifle, move to table and engage four shotgun knockdows then move again, step on a pedal to activate a flyer and engage the flyer. There was also a "dump" target to engage to erase a miss on the flyer. For safety reasons anyone could ask for a designated "launcher" so as not to get clothing caught in the launch pedal.

For those of you who've never met me, I'm NOT small. Being the wiseass I am, after staging my guns I turned to the posse and said, "I don't think I'm heavy enough to activate that launcher, can I have a designated stepper?" That garnered a few giggles from the posse. Anyway, I blazed through my pistols and rifle, killed the knockdowns with ease, and sprinted to the launcher. I took a mighty stomp on the pedal and watched as the clay pigeon teetered on the edge and fell harmlessly to the ground next to the launcher. Only thing I could think to do was empty my double barrel onto the dump. After that I looked down at that stinkin' bird and then realized the entire posse was rolling with laughter.

Turns out, I really did need a designated stomper. :wacko:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a good one this weekend at Pawnee Station, St Vrain Slim shot his way through a stage and set down his shotgun on the table, just as his gunbelt slid down to his knees! It was a good thing he was done shootin and movin. This dude needs to gain some weight!

GW

Couple of days ago I was at a shoot and saw the following. Typical 5 - 5 pistol along with rifle. When it came to the shotgun there was your usual 4 targets with 2 rounds - 2 rounds. The targets were all hanging targets instead of knock downs. One of the shooters went through his P&R targets.. and when he came to the shotgun hanging plates the scenario was far right target to left.

He took his first two shots, reloaded and as he started his third shot the first far right target started leaning to the left.. and continued to lean even farther. CLINK.. the far right target fell into the target to its left.. CLINK which fell into the target on its left.. CLINK......

Everyone had a good laugh as the targets played falling dominos. It would be interesting to know how to score (if any) that one.

Single Action Six

last yr at Winter Range, i was next shooter too shoot, as I wassa watchin Splitrail shoot, the sg which was last, he go to whar it wuz supposed tu be, he threw his hands up in the air and turnt around and looked at the posse, for you see his sg was nowhere to be found, seems someone who has 2 sons, was tryun to help out and seeun the sg sittun that all by its lonesome took it to the unloading table.....(even my niece who was watching from afar back knew something was screwy).

true!

Cheyenne, who dunt wear "brag buckles" on his rig anymore after one opened and nearly lost his pistols, Culpepper

I had a standing bet with my youngest son that if he would ever beat me in any shooting sport that I would learn to play XBOX, never thinking I would ever have to.

This last weekend at our monthly match I loaded the cart with what I thought was good match ammo but mistakenly loaded up ammo with primers my pistols have problems with.

Long story short I had five dented but failed to fire primers and due to the time penalties he got me....man I hate playing XBOX.

Due to a chatty loading table officer, a wife's rifle having a major malfunction and my own brain fart, I left the table with one pistol not loaded. All of those "clicks" on empty chambers was pretty embarrassing. :wacko:

Due to a chatty loading table officer, a wife's rifle having a major malfunction and my own brain fart, I left the table with one pistol not loaded. All of those "clicks" on empty chambers was pretty embarrassing. :wacko:

I ain't never seen her do it but, I hear there's something around these parts called an Early Dawn Sweep. (Early Dawn is Madd Mike's lady friend. :wacko: ) It seems the Early Dawn Sweep is when you're in the middle of a stage, come to the shotgun, sweep your hand across your shotgun belt only to realize you forgot to put any shells in it after the last stage. I watched Ion Vaquero perform one once and the look on her face was a sight to behold. :wacko:

I've seen two grown men (at least I thought they were) wear dresses to a match because they bet their wife/girlfriend "If you ever beat me in a match, I'll wear a dress to the next one". After that, I would NEVER bet that to anyone.

I ain't never seen her do it but, I hear there's something around these parts called an Early Dawn Sweep. (Early Dawn is Madd Mike's lady friend. :blush: ) It seems the Early Dawn Sweep is when you're in the middle of a stage, come to the shotgun, sweep your hand across your shotgun belt only to realize you forgot to put any shells in it after the last stage. I watched Ion Vaquero perform one once and the look on her face was a sight to behold. :wacko:

:wacko: early dawn :wacko: (my honey) has done that so often

that even she will agree

too the name

early dawn sweep

I guess I did a half sweep. I use the shells on the left side of my shot gun belt and I did not put any in it after a stage and had the try and find the ones on the right side.

Years ago.....there was a stage where ya had ta turn a door knob to go through a door ta shoot.

Well this world famous GF pulled his pistols and got to the door and kicked it....nothing...duh......kicked the door again.....harder.......nothing........rared back and kicked hell out of it.......almost feel off the boardwalk.....a pard keep him from fallin off.......a pard finally turn the knob so he go in ta shoot.......after the GF could not figure out why he couldn't open the door.

Wyatt

I ain't never seen her do it but, I hear there's something around these parts called an Early Dawn Sweep. (Early Dawn is Madd Mike's lady friend. :wacko: ) It seems the Early Dawn Sweep is when you're in the middle of a stage, come to the shotgun, sweep your hand across your shotgun belt only to realize you forgot to put any shells in it after the last stage. I watched Ion Vaquero perform one once and the look on her face was a sight to behold. :wacko:

So we have the Early Dawn Sweep, which I've seen performed, always with a priceless look on their faces. And now the Philly Stomp. You just stood there looking at the ground, until you reacted very fast, I might say, to get the shots off on the dump target.

Last stage at Smokeout In The Hills 2009 for me was a 10-10-2+ so I drug out my trusty 10ga lever shotgun. I load this ol' smoker kinda' heavy, (100+ gr of ffg or fffg depending on my mood, and 1 1/2 oz. of #9 shot). Folks have accused me of intimidating KDs with this old gun. :wacko: Comments like "Heck the targets just duck when they see that ol' thang!" are not uncommon. :wacko: After finishing the pistol and rifle strings I grabbed the old girl and shoved two shells into it. The first shot was dead center and the target slammed down. I levered out that shell and proceded to the next target which I missed by two feet to the left and a foot behind. As the smoke rolled out to the target it slowly teetered and then fell softly backward. The TO turned around and blinked at me in disbelief, "The shock wave knocked it down!!" he cackled, and just shook his head. :wacko:

There were witnesses................. :blush:

Couple months ago, at a stage rifle first, then pick-up shotgun and move to far right to engage shotgun targets. Normally I load while moving with action kept open until I get to shooters position. I remember picking up my double and hands on shotgun shell to pull and load. When I got to the shotgun targets, stop, close action, and pull triggers, nothing.

Opening action, I see I didn't load. "I forgot to load" I say aloud, of course everyone heard, TO and posse are now hilarious laughing, as am I. :wacko: :wacko: MT

Back in the early 90s my home club allowed shooters to use a .30-30 if they didn't have a pistol caliber rifle. A friend of mine was using a Model 94 in .30-30. He fired a round, worked the lever. The spent round went straight up, flipped 360 degrees, and landed right back on the follower. We roared. Maybe not the funniest thing I've seen at a shoot, but one of the least likely.

I was shooting at Bristol, IN with Wolff's Rowdy Rangers. I finished a stage, grabbed my shotgun and rifle with one in each hand and headed to the reloading table. As I turned and took a step my holsters and pants dropped to my knees. The pistols didn't fall out since I spread my knees catching them. I froze and the guys watching me couldn't stop laughing saying the look on my face was priceless. Glad I wasn't going commando that day. :wacko:

This is easy.

Years ago at Guns of August I shot on a posse with Smokey White Cloud. Smokey's outfit was Native American and he was shooting Frontiersman with a low dollar pair of brass frame Remington replicas. Throughout the match he fought with those guns with caps not going off, caps falling off, loading levers dropping etc. I don't think he ever emptied a pistol in less than 15-20 seconds and that was a good time.

As I recall, it was the last stage of the match. The scenario started with the shooter yanking open an outhouse door and dumping his first pistol at the dummy seated therein, then moving to the other end of the stage and shooting five targets through the window. There were no misses on the dummy, you just had to dump five shots into the outhouse. I think Smokey was kind of excited since the dummy was at near contact range and he was hoping to set it on fire to make up for a frustrating weekend. When his turn came, he yanked open the door and started firing-sort of. Misfires, lever dropping etc. as bad as we had seen throughout the match. After what seemed like an eternity, he got his five shots off and holstered his revolver. The dummy was smoking but not ablaze as Smokey had hoped. He stood there looking at the dummy as the rest of us were yelling "window! window!" thinking he had forgotten what was next. Suddenly, Smokey pulled a big Bowie knife from his belt, let out a bloodcurdling scream and charged the dummy and began stabbing it time and time again, apparently to finish him off. Our posse erupted into laughter, cheers and applause, and posses up and down the hill from us stopped what they were doing trying to figure out what had happened. I think it took a minute or two for everyone to dry their eyes and get composed before we could run another shooter.

A shoot in Colorado with a club that aint no more. They'd rigged up a "horse" stuffed thing on a barrel supported by four car springs. You sat on the horse and shot 4 shotgun rounds to start things off, 4 kd shotgun targets L to R. seemed simple enough. first shooter climbed aboard, wiggled around to get set. Timer went off and he downed the first kd, no problem. but when he fired the recoil drove the rear springs down and when he came forward for the 2nd shot it was sort of quicker than expected. blew the left ear off the stuffed horse. Smoke and fluff from the horse stuffing hung in the air for quite awhile.then the jokes about deaf horses and ear-plugs started. Took awhile to settle everbody down, but it was worth it.

The O'Meara himself

A shoot in Colorado with a club that aint no more. They'd rigged up a "horse" stuffed thing on a barrel supported by four car springs. You sat on the horse and shot 4 shotgun rounds to start things off, 4 kd shotgun targets L to R. seemed simple enough. first shooter climbed aboard, wiggled around to get set. Timer went off and he downed the first kd, no problem. but when he fired the recoil drove the rear springs down and when he came forward for the 2nd shot it was sort of quicker than expected. blew the left ear off the stuffed horse. Smoke and fluff from the horse stuffing hung in the air for quite awhile.then the jokes about deaf horses and ear-plugs started. Took awhile to settle everbody down, but it was worth it.

The O'Meara himself

:wacko: We don't just beat dead horses around here, we shoot 'em too. :wacko:

At a Defend the Roost annual several years ago a noted Neeevada Lady Gunfighter strode up to the line, shouldered her cowboy rifle and began sweeping the targets. Everyone was yellin' No. Stop, Wait..........seems she thought the pistol targets were the rifle targets. They were out a ways and not not what she was used to.

Anyway, everyone voted to let her re-start and she did just fine. Since then we've moved the pistol targets in a bit! But we will never let the lovey Shortstock live it down. :wacko:

Just George

A couple weeks ago we had a stage that didn't specify where you had to stand to engage the pistol targets. So one pard with a sense of humor strutted up as close as he could, maybe 4 or 5 feet away, and opened up as we all laughed. Well then he missed, and you can imagine just how much more laughter came of that! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a match, or seen anyone look so sheepish after a stage!

That same match, we had stages based on "A Christmas Story". One called for you to start with your tongue on the shotgun barrel and say, "I triple dog dare ya!" The look on the face of one of our visiting shooters (from Australia) when given this direction was priceless!

A couple weeks ago we had a stage that didn't specify where you had to stand to engage the pistol targets. So one pard with a sense of humor strutted up as close as he could, maybe 4 or 5 feet away, and opened up as we all laughed. Well then he missed, and you can imagine just how much more laughter came of that! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a match, or seen anyone look so sheepish after a stage!

That same match, we had stages based on "A Christmas Story". One called for you to start with your tongue on the shotgun barrel and say, "I triple dog dare ya!" The look on the face of one of our visiting shooters (from Australia) when given this direction was priceless!

............. 'tweren't me ... :wacko:

At a Defend the Roost annual several years ago a noted Neeevada Lady Gunfighter strode up to the line, shouldered her cowboy rifle and began sweeping the targets. Everyone was yellin' No. Stop, Wait..........seems she thought the pistol targets were the rifle targets. They were out a ways and not not what she was used to.

Anyway, everyone voted to let her re-start and she did just fine. Since then we've moved the pistol targets in a bit! But we will never let the lovey Shortstock live it down. :wacko:

Just George

Oh my, I think that's an Allie Mo sweep. :wacko:

I'll tell this one on mysefl beofre one of my "pards" beats me to it....

I was shooting a new pair of Schofield replicas at a monthly. For those not familiar with how a Schofield operates, you have to set it to half-cock in order to open it. Also the opening latch is located on the frame and moves rearward to open. Well, as I drew the first pistol, I must have gotten my thumb on the hammer and pulled it to half-cock. Then as I swept my offhand over the top of the pistol to start thumbing the hammer, I caught the latch with my big, fat thumb. As I punched the gun forward, the barrel/cylinder snapped open (with authority) and the extractor star did what Major Scofield intended it to do and the result was a magnificent shower of brass. My first thought was, "that can't be good". So I layed the pistol down and finished the stage thinking no one saw my misadventure. When I turned around the whole posse was holding their sides laughing. I even had one "pard" come up to me with his camera and said, "hey, can you do that again so I can get it on tape?"....... :wacko:

Cheyenne, who dunt wear "brag buckles" on his rig anymore after one opened and nearly lost his pistols, Culpepper

I was shooting my brand new WB rig with the buckle in the back. Had a HOW buckle on it (not the kind you win... the kind you get 'cuz you entered) and jerked a mag out for a reload.

The buckle unhitched and as I jerked it threw the entire belt and contents over the station table. Made the next reload a bit slow..... :wacko:

Of course, the laughter of 18 posse members drowned out the sound of the misses when I couldn't stop laughing enough to hold the sights on target. :wacko:

They let me re-shoot just to have another chance to laugh I think.

Several years ago I was shooting at Guns of August on a posse with the famous Kocheese from Wisconsin. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure, Kocheese is quite a character (in a good way) and a darn good shooter. I was having a pretty good match for me and we had been running close times on each stage. He was very helpful to me as we discussed strategy for each stage.

Well, we came to our last stage which had you starting facing up range with your back to the targets and your shotgun shells in a basket on the table. We discussed how to shoot the stage but we ended up with different opinions of what to do. He went first and posted a decent time. But I assured him that the way I was going to shoot the stage would be better.

When it was my turn, the train derailed and in the process of coming off the tracks ran over me. First I forgot to move to the basket to get my shells. Then, when I finally remember to get my shells I put the first one in the ’97 backwards and locked it up. After fiddling with it for what seemed like an eternity, I got the shell out and grabbed another one out of the basket. Wouldn’t you know it? I managed to put that one in backwards too. By now you can imagine my frustration and I ended up with quite a few misses trying to make up the lost time.

When I got back to the cart, Kocheese leaned over and in a serious tone whispered to me, “I don’t think that was the best way to shoot that stage.” I nearly fell over laughing so hard at myself. :wacko:

I was shooting my brand new WB rig with the buckle in the back. Had a HOW buckle on it (not the kind you win... the kind you get 'cuz you entered) and jerked a mag out for a reload.

The buckle unhitched and as I jerked it threw the entire belt and contents over the station table. Made the next reload a bit slow..... :wacko:

Of course, the laughter of 18 posse members drowned out the sound of the misses when I couldn't stop laughing enough to hold the sights on target. :wacko:

They let me re-shoot just to have another chance to laugh I think.

Well, the belt and buckle combination do "prop" you rig around your waist. Maybe they justified the reshoot by calling it prop failure. :wacko:

Kidd

At the Glory Hole 2010 match, Kidd was shooting a long range rifle side match. The round went straight up and landed on top of the receiver and just sat there, you can see it in the above pix. he was dumbfounded.

I had a round go straight up and land in the web between my thumb and first finger on the side of the forearm...burned like heck. I tried to shake it off while trying to keep on target.

and of course me and Old Tops first ever match, we had no gun cart. and while trying to walk back to the car after the match, arms full of guns ammo and everything else we owned, both of us would take 2 steps and gunbelts would slide , two more steps and more slide.....we were probably a hoot to watch...

went out and got a guncart that week.

such fun we have at this game..

curley

Hope I don’t get shot in the butt by the couple involved in this story, but here goes.

Local monthly match, about five years ago.

Shoot pistols, move to rifle, then move to shotgun shotgun.

Starting position: Facing downrange, bending forward, hands on knees.

Lady shooter stages her long guns and goes to the pistol targets. She looks around, then turns to her husband standing near-by.

She asks, “What is the starting position?”

He replies, “Bend over and put your hands on your Knees.”

She replies, “I’m not falling for that again.”

The RO called a short break for the posse to recompose themselves.

About a year ago I used that same starting position on a stage knowing that the couple would be attending the shoot. I don’t remember what the official starting line was, but I bet you can guess what line the lady used. Probably a half-dozen members on the posse had a flashback.

A couple of weeks before the Tn State match, 2010, that means not so long ago, I was showing a lady I had just met about cowboy shooting. As we were getting ready to leave the range I wanted to demonstrate some loads we use that have Roman Candle balls behind the bullet. I ripped off 5 quick shots at the rifle targets with my trusty Ruger and started to unload when she said "We have a problem!" We had seeded and spread straw mat the previous month in preperation for the State Match. I found out I couldnt dance fast enough to put out 5 seperate fires simultaneously, we hollered for help and managed to get the fire out after it burned off most of one berm. She said I sure know how to show a girl a good time. Wartrace now has banned pyrotechnic loads.....and now you know the rest of the story

Imis

Archived