SASS Wire Forum

How to make a Taurus Lightning work

Deadeye Dallas, SASS #60249

" How did I make the Taurus Lightning work? "

I have been asked this question a lot lately. To start with you need a good understanding on how a lightning functions and how to take it apart.

It would be like any rifle you are going to do action work on. Look for rough edges and unusal wear area. Once everything is clean deburred and polished, put it back together and test. This is where you have to evaluate what is going on with the particular rifle. There isn't one overall fix like Widder did on the Marlin, just plain old gunsmithing.

That said, I still have one little glitch that came up on one stage this weekend. The carrier lifted the round too high. I plan to relieve metal from the bottom of the locking brace where any over travel may add pressure to the carrier.

The next Taurus may have a different problem. Remember the ammo retention mechanism needs to stay clean. Easy to keep a lightning clean, just take stock off spray down with CRC brake cleaner, blow out or let drain, then relube. Using 250 grain 45 colt will help keep rifle cleaner. Be sure your chamber is clean, one area I polish a lot.

If I run across any constant repeating problem I will post about. Like any rifle, If you take too much metal off you better have a Tig and know how to use it.

Till later

Deadeye Dallas

I wouldn't have believed it iffn I haddn't seen it.....and I seen it!! I believe it!

CC, who might need one of those new fangled thangs.

Col,

the rifle I have been talking about and showing in the videos belongs to Deadlee Headlee. He would probably sell it because he doesn't load 45 colt.

Dallas

Thanks Dallas. I'll contact him.

After looking over the directions for disassembling Lightnings, are there many differences for the Taurus?

All the Colt clones are very similar, the difference is how they attach the locking brace. AWA uses a small screw, USFA and colt use a pin through the brace, Taurus uses a pin as a retainer.

For cleaning purposes it is not necessary to remove the brace.

In my opinion Beretta, Uberti and Pedersoli are NOT clones.

If you have any particular questions PM me or email at HarryJeffcoat@ij.net.

Dallas

To use a Tarus Lightning as a RELIABLE defensive weapon, grab 1" below muzzle with both hands. Swing the buttstock at opponent.

:rolleyes:

Does any of the 38's have octagon barrels?

Dallas

I'm sure he's talking about the guns at The Gun Room in Shrewsbury Mass. They have been sitting there overpriced and collecting dust since the owner bought them in a blowout sale when the original AWA went under. It's been probably about 5 years or so since I looked at them. I don't remember there being 15 but there were at least eight of them then. Could have been more. Can't remember details on them except that there are the early guns. You could call them.

Gun Room of Shrewsbury Inc

276 Boston Tpke

Shrewsbury, MA 01545

(508) 754-0359

• 3 weeks later...

The hardest part is getting the post driver over the butt stock. Once you get that part done, drive it as deep as needed and run the wire...

Glad you got it running! I shoot a Pedersoli and didnt have to tinker a bit, but for the price, I shouldnt have had to. I had an AWA briefly. It wouldnt even run 10 rounds slow through it, let alone fast.

DM

The hardest part is getting the post driver over the butt stock. Once you get that part done, drive it as deep as needed and run the wire...

Glad you got it running! I shoot a Pedersoli and didnt have to tinker a bit, but for the price, I shouldnt have had to. I had an AWA briefly. It wouldnt even run 10 rounds slow through it, let alone fast.

DM

I could have fixed that AWA and then you could have slam fired! In fact you might have a hard time staying up with one of these modified Taurus's on a dump target.

Dallas

Also this is an older thread, I have come up with a carrier mod since this topic that corrects feeding issues with round coming up too high.

Have you figured out how to make a Pedersoli slam fire yet? I tried that, and had to have some welding done....

DM

Have you figured out how to make a Pedersoli slam fire yet? I tried that, and had to have some welding done....

DM

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, just messing with you. I know Pedersoli has excellent quality, I have one of their Billy Dixon Sharps.

When Pedersoli came out they talked about a modern design that was different from Colt's. They went to great links to make them so They would not slam fire. Beretta did the same. I have had a beretta a part and fixed the feeding problem, I did not try to change the design. If the Beretta was mine then I would experiment. I have never seen a Pedersoli, around here it is mostly AWA and now Taurus.

Dallas

Oh no. I didnt even get a hint at ruffling feathers.

The Pedersoli has a little disconnector in there that keeps it from slamfiring. If that could be defeated......

My AWA was a short little carbine version, and was not too my liking. The lack of function was second as I have an excellent gunsmith available.

I would like to find a working one cheap somewhere in 38-40, but.....

DM

Gents, what it sounds like to me is .... as Dallas gets more of the rifles in his hands, each one is like a potential Beauty Queen - Unique!

So, if you have one of these pumps and are thinking about Dallas doing his 'magic' ... I would go to the end of the line cause he has found all the bugs by then. Plus he has an easier job getting it to work. Kind of like a Flow Chart - Start > down the chart tree or Yes or No's > Done

And don't think you can become a Kitchen Table Gunsmith if he did make such a Chart. Why? Cause ya never operated on one before!

Will say this though, if there was such a Chart and Kitchen Table Gunsmiths ... sure would be a helluva lot of 'Help' posts instead of when the AWA's came out years back - Bitches about the rifle!

Dallas, there's going to be many folks nominating you for the SASS Cowboy Hall of Fame!!! In the meantine, a BIG Thanks for what you are doing for us

Archived