SASS Wire Forum

Who makes the best Wild Bunch rig?

grubstake charlie

I'm just getting into the Wild Bunch side match. One of the local clubs is starting a monthly WB match. I have all the guns, but I am currently using various mix and match leather and so I am looking for a WB rig.

So, let me know who you think makes the best Wild Bunch rig, and why you think it is best. I always try to purchase top quality (within reason) but am more interested in rig functionality than fancy looks.

Do you prefer a single belt rig or two belts. From what I can see it looks like a few of the better shooters like mags and reloads on a 2nd (shotgun) belt, and only the pistol on the main belt. It seems to me that speed of mag swaps and any reloads are important and your rig should be designed to help speed those activities.

You should have asked this over on the WBAS website.

Not here.

OK, I will.

By the way, if what you say is correct (and I doubt it is), then I guess we cannot talk about or share any information on long range, pocket pistols, or any other side match related questions here either. Be sure to jump on folks for using the SASSwire for SASS questions too. :unsure:

Best WB rig: Bob Mernickle, Mernickle leather

Hands down the best, with 45 acp loops and as many extra 2 mag speed pouches as you want.I have 6 double mag pouches for my rig plus loops.

I don't shoot much WB, but i sure like the rig Bob made for me and even use it as a 'regular' 1911 rig in the field hunting as a sidearm rig for my 1911's.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/er/bm_erwb.html

Hands down the best, with 45 acp loops and as many extra 2 mag speed pouches as you want.I have 6 double mag pouches on my rig plus loops.

I don't shoot much WB, but i sure like the rig Bob made for me and even use it as a 'regular' 1911 rig in the field hunting as a sidearm rig for my 1911's.

Thanx SS, I like the looks of the Mernichke rig and Bob's quality is 2nd to none.

WOW, six (6) double mag pouches (12 mags)! Thats is by far the most I have ever hear of anyone using on one belt. Impressive.

Slowhand Bob made mine and Heathers WB rigs, fit and function are second to none. It has two double mag pouches and one single if need, plus a suede lined belt that stays put. I prefer a shotgun slide myself for WB and SASS. Why do I like mine the best?? :unsure: because Slowhand Bob made it of coures :lol:;) You can see more of his work in the Leather Shop at CAS City.

WB Rig by Slowhand Bob

Jefro ;) Relax-Enjoy

I always assumed individual cartridge loops to be more practical for spare rifle ammo. The only times I have shot WB, twice as a catagory, I had three mags and never used more than two. I am thinking that for my main match rigs I like spare rifle rounds located front center on my gun belt and shotgun plus two pistol rounds on a separate shotgun belt. It has been years since the pistol rounds has been needed for anything other than something weird at the loading table (high primer, etc). I want to keep my WB Rig as similar in use to my main match rig as possible to prevent brain fades. Lastly, some ask why I made my WB holster with all of the features of my standard holsters, well I think WB requirements just might expand to make those extra features handy one day. I would rather have a flared throat plus fast draw features that I do not need today, than one day not have them and need them. I am making a Confederate themed rig, for a friend, that will have every feature I can add, except for a metal liner, and still be cowboy in nature. And to think, I am the slowest guy you probably know of!

OK, I will.

By the way, if what you say is correct (and I doubt it is), then I guess we cannot talk about or share any information on long range, pocket pistols, or any other side match related questions here either. Be sure to jump on folks for using the SASSwire for SASS questions too. :unsure:

The FACT is that lots of pards are becoming increasingly resentful that WB topics and questions are intruding onto the SASS Wire. I was merely pointing out to your oblivious self that WBAS has its own website. Where your question belonged. Long range, pocket pistols, et al ARE CAS related so DO belong here.

That your feathers apparently got ruffled is on you.

To answer the question -- Shorty has it right. I like the Mernickle holster and pouches and they can be had in 2 days from Dillon. Look in the Blue Press.

another to check out is murphy custom gunleather.....the ol short tom rig is excellent and dan will make any color or option you desire....he is a stand up guy...the quality is excellent ..prices very resonable...if i were buying another rig i would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Thanx SS, I like the looks of the Mernichke rig and Bob's quality is 2nd to none.

WOW, six (6) double mag pouches (12 mags)! Thats is by far the most I have ever hear of anyone using on one belt. Impressive.

Let me clarify that pouch thing;

That doesn't mean I wear all the mag pouches at once, particularly for WB, but i use the rig as I mentioned for other shooting sports as well as when I'll be shooting a fair amount of 45 acp, even at the range for practice..just easier and faster than reloading mags quite as often.Normally, I use 3 double pouches on my WB rig ..just have extras if needed,Extra pouches wil also slip over the bulllet loops, you can't use that many double pouches and the 12 bullet loops at same time unless you have a 50" waist i guess! :unsure:

The topic heading is a dead giveaway to the topic content. Kinda like a roadhouse juke joint out in the middle of nowhere and a big sign reading 'THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE COUNTRY CLUB', if you choose to go in, you just might get insulted by the contents there in, but dawnt complain when you are the one who opened the door!

Thanks fer the thumbs up Jefro, you are a pard. Would you mind sending me someway to print out those pictures, they sure are pretty and I cant take a picture fer :unsure:

Hands down the best, with 45 acp loops and as many extra 2 mag speed pouches as you want.I have 6 double mag pouches for my rig plus loops.

Our club has scheduled Wild Bunch Shoots every month for 6 months of our 7 month shooting season.

I like Shorty, liked Evil Roys' design and was aware of Bob Mernickles leather work, so I ordered the holster and two double mags. The brand new holster is made so small my full size 1911 45 will not begin to go into the holster. I was so sorely disappointed in this lack of craftsmanship.

I have a no name holster that works fine. Plus, I have my old US Army Flap Holster which works great, just not for quick drawing. We pre-position our mags for our shoots, so I do not have to do any quick draw antics, just load and shoot.

Lone Rider

I use the Mernickle holster and mag pouches for WB as I think they are the best. Couple that with the two-dat turn around from Dillon on them and you can't beat it. I had Kid Cavalier from John Bianchi's Frontier Gunleather make me a belt. It has 8 shotshell loops up front with 6 more .45 Colt loops for my rifle to the right. I get to wear one less belt with this rig.

I like mine, kept it simple. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/45Auto.jpg

I only carry 3 mags, one in the gun and 2 in the on-belt pouch. Shotgun loops are built into the belt.

Johnny Morris, of JM Leather, makes a great WB rig that I fully endose. Material and design is of the best and the price is right.

Ghost

I got this guy that I git my leather from, mostly his mistakes and failed hair brained experiments, so I am not that experienced with others products BUT I do try to examine them and listen to their owners. I know so many good leather workers by reputation and actual interaction that it is very hard to select from them. Ol Short Tom makes some stuff that looks so fast that it makes my eyeballs burn, Jack Houston of LONE RIDER LEATHER has always impressed me for the product he delivers in his price range and for when it comes down to pure art in gun rigs I just really am impressed with Chuck Burrows at WILD ROSE TRADING. Just a small list from a great pool of commercial makers. Chuck made a 1911 rig that I considered absolutely beautiful in its lines and simplicity BUT THEN, that has always been his gift. With all that is available I think where most of us need to look for that final feature that insures a win, is in the mirror!

http://www.customgunleather.com/site/Produ...61/Default.aspx

http://www.loneriderleather.com/Products-Prices.html

http://www.wrtcleather.com/

I had a Mernickle and really liked it, but then I ran into El Paso Saddlery's "1930 Austin" holster. I like it even more. For me it is a smoother draw and easier to reholster.

Picture of my rig:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/gso...SS/DSC04189.jpg

Here is one I am making for a friend, it uses a Confederate theme cuz the Souths gonna rise agin boys! Please forgive my picture taking skills as I aint no Jefro with a camera and the Confederate War Eagle is definitely not done justice in these photos. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php...ic,35353.0.html

######111111 Persimon Dan at Murphy Custom Leather! His leather work is second to none from his starter rigs to his B-Western top end rigs. You'll find his Wild Bunch rig on top shooters, yet it's price is very reasonable. He makes leather that'll last a lifetime. Built saddles many years ago and used that learnin' when he started CAS gear. You will be satisfied with his work and his service and I'll bet my horse on it-----No Horse Hair sed thet!!!

another to check out is murphy custom gunleather.....the ol short tom rig is excellent and dan will make any color or option you desire....he is a stand up guy...the quality is excellent ..prices very resonable...if i were buying another rig i would not hesitate to buy from him again.

I am with MGM and the other feller that has a later post. Murphy CUSTOM Gunleather. Custom is the key word. Persimmon Dan is a shooter and understands that not every shooter wants the exact same cant or set out as everyone else. He will build to your exact specifications every time. I have one wild bunch rig from Dan and two CAS rigs. I have spent a lot of time talking to PD about his product and am overwhelmed with his knowledge of leather. How it is tanned, what chemicals it is tanned with, the grain of different parts of the animal, which way to run the grain in the rig are all considered for each piece of the rig when it is built. My WB rig is 3 years old now and is still holding the exact shape it had when it was new. That says a lot because I am not easy on my rigs. What is more than all this is Dan's absolute stand by his word and product attitude. After shooting his shotshell belt for a couple years, I sent it back to have the loops re shaped and the backing (which had worn from use) re worked. When I got the rig back, it took a few to realize that it was not a new one! He re worked the backing better than it was originally, with different material, re shaped the loops and then polished it back to it's original luster all for the low price of FREE! All that said, I will shoot nothing but Murphy leather.

Add my vote for the Mernickle/Evil Roy Rig. But with no cartridge loops on the belt. I also added three double mag speed pouches (rarely more than 20 rounds per stage), plus his matching shotgun/rifle cartridge slide. The mag pouches are worn on my trouser belt or shotgun belt, as needed, so as to be higher and more accessable for a mag reload. The shotgun/rifle slide rides perfectly on the pistol belt, right over the buckle in front. From my limited Wild Bunch experience, I think this rig addresses every need the shooter could come up with for WB competition. Bob's work is of the highest quality, the price is very fair, and I've been very happy with this rig.

JMHO,

Kid Latham

Please humor me, why four round shotshell reloads? This seems pretty common on many slides and belts for WB use, does this take misses into account on stage reloads? When time presents itself I need to go to the WB Site and read through those stages from the last big match, assuming they covered most situations??? If there is success I think we will see evolution on the WB side of the game, just as we have already seen in the regular SASS game and along with this we will see subtle changes in the equipment used by shooters.

Had my rig built by "The Hidesman" - G & J gunleather (in the SASS links). Double strong side 'cause I shoot "last man standing" with a 1911 in each hand.

George makes some absolutely fabulous leather goods. Give him a look.

Coffinmaker

+1 for this setup

No loops on belt. 3 2x mag holders, and a slide for s/g and rifle reloading

Add my vote for the Mernickle/Evil Roy Rig. But with no cartridge loops on the belt. I also added three double mag speed pouches, plus his matching shotgun/rifle cartridge slide.

+1 for this setup

No

loops on belt. 3 2x mag holders, and a slide for S/g and rifle reloading

Thanx GJ, practicing (at the BRR Founders Ranch WB match) with you and Crazy Kurt has made it clear to me that I need a proper rig. I ordered from Mernickle on Wednesday. With any luck I will have the rig before State in Jan.

I would suggest that anyone who may be looking for a Wild Bunch rig first be familar with the WB rules for those specific pieces of equipment. Those rules can be found here:

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/wbRules.html

Additionally I have offered the rules on magazine pouches in bold type below:

Magazine pouches must be worn on the opposite side of the body from the handgun.

• Magazine pouches must be worn vertical and conform to the shooters body (i.e. not tilt out

from the shooters body).

• Magazine pouches can hold either one or two magazines.

• At least two inches of the magazine must be covered by the magazine pouch.

I would hate for someone to spend money trying to gear up for WB only to find that a new purchase was not within the rules.

PC

J.M. Leather, Johnny Morris can produce any configuration or style that you wish. Premium workmanship and materials, at a price any Cowboy can afford. jmorris69007@msn.com

He produced my rig and many others I've seen. First class work.

RBK

Thanks, PC.

:wub:

I would also reiterate the suggestion that anyone with questions regarding the legality of a specific piece of equipment (firearms, holsters, ammo slides) direct those inquiries to the Wild Bunch Action Shooting forum (or at least to one of the WBAS Rules Committee...e.g. Pecos Clyde or Happy Jack).

All email & PM questions sent to me re: Wild Bunch rules are being forwarded.

Regards,

PWB

Kirkpatrick makes great rigs. I own a "Tequila" rig for my hoglegs and just bought a WB rig from them and it is very good quality stuff. Rye

I run a Sam Andrews rig ANDREWS for all of my family (6 of us). He will custom build to your specifics. His online cataloge only shows some of his work. I have wore his rigs as my daily carry holsters for the last 25 years and they have the same shape as the day I got them. He has started doing exotics and just got my wife a new SASS rig today made from elephant dyed brown and all I can say is Wow. His exotic pics will be up in a week. As a side note he is making the rig for Colt this year for their auction commemorative benefit gun this year.

Just my 2 cents

Cope

I would suggest that anyone who may be looking for a Wild Bunch rig first be familar with the WB rules for those specific pieces of equipment. Those rules can be found here:

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/wbRules.html

Additionally I have offered the rules on magazine pouches in bold type below:

Magazine pouches must be worn on the opposite side of the body from the handgun.

• Magazine pouches must be worn vertical and conform to the shooters body (i.e. not tilt out

from the shooters body).

• Magazine pouches can hold either one or two magazines.

• At least two inches of the magazine must be covered by the magazine pouch.

I would hate for someone to spend money trying to gear up for WB only to find that a new purchase was not within the rules.

PC

thanks Pecos good to know

Archived