SASS Wire Forum

NO CATEGORY

Guest Major Attitude #15562L

I don’t know how many people out there are of the same frame of mind as me. Yea I know people by nature are competitive. Yes it seams that the most “popular” shooters are the “Top Shooters”. That’s fine, if that is why you “competing“, have at it, but it’s not the reason why I and many other people come to a shoot. We are forced to participate in categories that are regulated in one way of another. You must use certain firearms, or dress in a certain way, shoot a certain way, but it all comes down to restrictions. Despite the FACT that double actions were made pre 1900’s, and the fact that the first cartridge made was a rimfire and I believe in 22cal, you can’t use them. You also can’t use a revolving carbine in any caliber. Now we have the Wild Bunch becoming more popular and there are discussions’ about that.

For the sake of those of us that that don’t care about wining any other award but a “CLEAN MATCH”, why can’t we have a SHOOTERS CLASS. Requirements, firearms must be of a pre 1911 in design. You must dress in period correct clothing. Your times don’t matter except for personal knollage. No awards for placement.

Like I said there are reasons for this. There are shooters out there, who have “different” firearms they want to use, or they just might have health problems that limit them in the ability to use what is required, but they don’t come out and join us. TOO MANY RULES. I thought this was supposed to be a FUN event.

Guest diablo slim shootist

an open class might be ok at club level -i don't know about higher than that

we have a green horn class for new shooters -but what will be gained by a class

with no restriction at all(the I don't care class)maybe im wrong if i put on a big

match this spring in north Texas how many of you cowboys want this open class

if it is cheaper to enter since you will get no awards? Diablo Slim

Range Officer

Texas Ten Horns

an open class might be ok at club level -i don't know about higher than that

we have a green horn class for new shooters -but what will be gained by a class

with no restriction at all(the I don't care class)maybe im wrong if i put on a big

match this spring in north Texas how many of you cowboys want this open class

if it is cheaper to enter since you will get no awards? Diablo Slim

Range Officer

Texas Ten Horns

So what your telling me is, the only reason why someone attends your shoot is to win an award?

No and a lot of us give them back to the club but at BIG matches most

would like to have something to show they attended and did well im thinking :unsure:

I don’t know how many people out there are of the same frame of mind as me. Yea I know people by nature are competitive. Yes it seams that the most “popular” shooters are the “Top Shooters”. That’s fine, if that is why you “competing“, have at it, but it’s not the reason why I and many other people come to a shoot. We are forced to participate in categories that are regulated in one way of another. You must use certain firearms, or dress in a certain way, shoot a certain way, but it all comes down to restrictions. Despite the FACT that double actions were made pre 1900’s, and the fact that the first cartridge made was a rimfire and I believe in 22cal, you can’t use them. You also can’t use a revolving carbine in any caliber. Now we have the Wild Bunch becoming more popular and there are discussions’ about that.

For the sake of those of us that that don’t care about wining any other award but a “CLEAN MATCH”, why can’t we have a SHOOTERS CLASS. Requirements, firearms must be of a pre 1911 in design. You must dress in period correct clothing. Your times don’t matter except for personal knollage. No awards for placement.

Like I said there are reasons for this. There are shooters out there, who have “different” firearms they want to use, or they just might have health problems that limit them in the ability to use what is required, but they don’t come out and join us. TOO MANY RULES. I thought this was supposed to be a FUN event.

You can attend NCOWS which allow double actions and some long guns SASS does not or go to a club that allows WB. The rules SASS has and was founded under don't allow such stuff.

I joined the Single Action Shooting Society and don't intend to accept changes with out a fight.

You can attend NCOWS which allow double actions and some long guns SASS does not or go to a club that allows WB. The rules SASS has and was founded under don't allow such stuff.

I joined the Single Action Shooting Society and don't intend to accept changes with out a fight.

And leave Frontiersman alone ! Right Noz :unsure:

I know I am not the only one that is handicapped, that being said: What would you do if someone showed up and shot in the Duelist category, but they used 4 pistols, and a revolving carbine. No rifle of shotgun. And to just add to the mix the revolving carbine is in 22 and they use it to shoot half the rifle targets? Would you let them “compete”, or would you tell them they couldn’t participate?

The reason for No Category is the recording of the time. We know we are not fast, we don’t compete we play, and at the end we do have some dignity. Posting our time is just a bit humiliating. Believe me our motivation is being able to just do it.

NCOWS is even less handicapped friendly. At least with SASS I can use a golf cart.

I know I am not the only one that is handicapped, that being said: What would you do if someone showed up and shot in the “Dullest” category, but they used 4 pistols, and a revolving carbine. No rifle of shotgun. And to just add to the mix the revolving carbine is in 22 and they use it to shoot half the rifle targets? Would you let them “compete”, or would you tell them they couldn’t participate?

The reason for No Category is the recording of the time. We know we are not fast, we don’t compete we play, and at the end we do have some dignity. Posting our time is just a bit humiliating. Believe me our motivation is being able to just do it.

It would depend on the reason for not shooting a rifle or shotgun and why is the person shooting a 22? Is it disability related? Never heard of the "Dull" category?? I suppose any shooter can asked that the timer not be used and a SDQ score is posted.

I know I am not the only one that is handicapped, that being said: What would you do if someone showed up and shot in the “Dullest” category, but they used 4 pistols, and a revolving carbine. No rifle of shotgun. And to just add to the mix the revolving carbine is in 22 and they use it to shoot half the rifle targets? Would you let them “compete”, or would you tell them they couldn’t participate?

What would I do if someone showed up and shot in the "Dullest" category? Don't know--we don't have a Dullest category. Duelist? OK, we'd let them shoot. I've shot Duelist using two pistols as my "rifle" after my rifle broke. Everyone on the posse offered to loan me his/her rifle, but I declined. Just wanted to try my pistols on the rifle targets. Did well, but times were very slow. No one thought anything about it. If you have a legitimate handicap I don't know of ANY club that won't make allowances, even .22s. I don't really understand the problem with receiving a time. Sure, being handicapped you won't be competitive with OTHERS, but you can use it as a benchmark to gauge your own improvement. Being humilated? No, not at all. Celebrate being able just to do it, as you stated, and eventually work on improvement.

Make lemonade out of the lemons, not a sour puss.

Steeldust Dan

It would depend on the reason for not shooting a rifle or shotgun and why is the person shooting a 22? Is it disability related? Never heard of the "Dull" category?? I suppose any shooter can asked that the timer not be used and a SDQ score is posted.

In my case one of my problems is that I ripped the mussels in my left shoulder, so I can’t raise my arm. It’s unrepairable.

As far as the 22 goes, it’s just because I own it.

Howdy Major

Have you spoken to your match directors about this?

I betcha if you did they would be of a mind to try to accommodate you. They are a pretty accommodating bunch of cowboys.

One of the cowpokes had to use 4 pistols instead of 2 and a rifle for some time because of a shoulder issue. They called it the Jose Wales Category.

I don't know about not recording the times.

I ain't never seen a real life revolving carbine. So personally I would like to see this in a match.

BTW: I have seen your name on the scoresheets at T&R and Lake County Pistoleros. I try to talk to as many folks as I can before and after the match but I don't believe we have ever met. I do have a shy streak in me though so sometimes I fall into sticking close to people I know. (Took me 2 years to muster up the courage to speak to Colonel Dan.) ;) (It's true!) So if you are of a mind at the next Lake County shoot come up to me and slap me on the back and introduce yerself. I'd be happy to make yer acquaintance.

Ride easy, Pard,

Waimea

:unsure:

Now now James obviously the pard is not only physically handicapped but speeling handicapped as well. If you are gonna point out that he cannot speel duelist, you should not use lone for loan. HAR!!!

I'm with the pard tho, it's always a bit humiliating for my times to be posted.

:lol::unsure:;)

If you ever come to central Texas look me up I well take you to the range and you can shoot what ever you want to shoot and as long as you want to shoot.I well take you to one of the matches around here and before or after the match shoot what every you want to shoot,but,most clubs well have you go by the rules to shoot in the match .YOU DO NOT WANT US TO CHANGE THE RULES

Now do not ask me to take you to Dallas so you can play with the Dallas Cowboys,on sec.thought they just might let you play.

:o;):FlagAm:

I have done this long enough to know no one would really say anything to me at a clue level. I have never shot outside of my state and was curious as to what I might encounter at a higher level match?

Wamea,

I shot last weekend for the first time since February. I used 4 pistols and a single barreled shotgun. I shot them all with my right hand.

:lol::unsure:;)

If you ever come to central Texas look me up I well take you to the range and you can shoot what ever you want to shoot and as long as you want to shoot.I well take you to one of the matches around here and before or after the match shoot what every you want to shoot,but,most clubs well have you go by the rules to shoot in the match .YOU DO NOT WANT US TO CHANGE THE RULES

Now do not ask me to take you to Dallas so you can play with the Dallas Cowboys,on sec.thought they just might let you play.

:o;):FlagAm:

Thanks for the invite. I’m not asking to “change” the rules. Just let me do what I can the way I want to. I can’t believe anyone would be worried about me beetling them. Least wise in a shooting match.

Major Attitude:

Here's my suggestion: contact the specific match in which you are interested in attending. Be specific about your limitations and what you do to compensate for them. Then let that match director inform you what they will do or not do. What we don't need is another "non-category" category.

Good luck to you!

Steeldust Dan

Wamea,

I shot last weekend for the first time since February. I used 4 pistols and a single barreled shotgun. I shot them all with my right hand.

MA

I almost shot Posse 2. I wish that I had now. Nobody would have been cheering louder for you than me.

Lookin forward to meeting you.

W

In my case one of my problems is that I ripped the mussels in my left shoulder, so I can’t raise my arm. It’s unrepairable.

As far as the 22 goes, it’s just because I own it.

Do you shoot the revolving rifle one handed then?

NCOWS is even less handicapped friendly. At least with SASS I can use a golf cart.

I would bet that you have never shot a NCOWS match. I dress just the same as I do for SASS matches, complete to my "frankenshoes" (orthopedic corrective shoes), no one has ever said anything to me about them. When I needed it, no one said anything about my "scooter", there's a big difference between need and just being handy to ride in. Since your handicap is your shoulder, why do you need a golf cart?

I would bet that you have never shot a NCOWS match. I dress just the same as I do for SASS matches, complete to my "frankenshoes" (orthopedic corrective shoes), no one has ever said anything to me about them. When I needed it, no one said anything about my "scooter", there's a big difference between need and just being handy to ride in. Since your handicap is your shoulder, why do you need a golf cart?

Shoulder is only a recent injury. I ware 3 orthopedic braces (left ankle, and both knees); I have one lung and severe cardiomyopathy (my hart functions at 15%). Ankle and knees are military related. Lung cancer (I never smoked) caused a virus to attack my hart. The only cure for my hart is a transplant, and no I am not getting one. Because of my hart the doctors are afraid to operate on my shoulder. They tell me I am not a surgical candidate

No I never shot NCOWS. I don't beleave there is a club anyware near me.

Shoulder is only a recent injury. I ware 3 orthopedic braces (left ankle, and both knees); I have one lung and severe cardiomyopathy (my hart functions at 15%). Ankle and knees are military related. Lung cancer (I never smoked) caused a virus to attack my hart. The only cure for my hart is a transplant, and no I am not getting one. Because of my hart the doctors are afraid to operate on my shoulder. They tell me I am not a surgical candidate

No I never shot NCOWS. I don't beleave there is a club anyware near me.

Thank you for your service, however since you've never shot a NCOWS match, please don't bad mouth them.

Thank you for your service, however since you've never shot a NCOWS match, please don't bad mouth them.

Bad Mouth?

When NCOWS first started I checked into it and was told by one of your founding members that carts weren’t allowed that I had to carry my firearms. There words not mine. So given that information if they weren’t going to allow gun carts a gulf cart was definitely out of the question.

......TOO MANY RULES. I thought this was supposed to be a FUN event.

It is supposed to be a fun Competition, not just an Event. All competitive sports have rules and SASS has always been a competitive sport. Reasonable accommodations are always made by clubs for shooters with disabilities. But if you want a Shooters class for those who either are not physically capable or do not want to compete under the same rules you need to convince SASS and the TGs.

Major:

I was on a posse at T&R recently where one of the cowboys had a substitute shoot the SG for him. He would shoot the pistols and rifle and then tag the other guy who would then take over with the SG.

Just throwin out ideas for ya.

I asked if Badlands Drifter could shoot my pistols, Santa Fe River Stan could shoot my rifle and Arcadia Outlaw could sub in for my SG. Everybody laughed like it was a joke. :lol::unsure: I don't know why. I would have picked up my own brass. ;)

Waimea

;)

Could I shoot a Broomhandle Mauser? Could I use a Browning Auto-5?

That said, when I ran a club, we had an "open" category. It was any SASS legal gun and any SASS legal shooting style on any stage.

Cheers,

BJT

Bad Mouth?

When NCOWS first started I checked into it and was told by one of your founding members that carts weren’t allowed that I had to carry my firearms. There words not mine. So given that information if they weren’t going to allow gun carts a gulf cart was definitely out of the question.

While as a general rule, golf carts aren't allowed, there are exceptions made for medical necessity. People who have never shot a NCOWS match, and have heard all the stories about the strict rules, may be surprised at how accomidating they actually are. BTW, the rules are voted on by all the membership, there is no "Wild Bunch" governing them.

Here's the NCOWS homepage: http://www.ncows.org/

Here's their CAS city forum: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,3.0.html

They are trying to establish a NCOWS club in FL. Might be near you.

What would I do if someone showed up and shot in the "Dullest" category? Don't know--we don't have a Dullest category. Duelist? OK, we'd let them shoot. I've shot Duelist using two pistols as my "rifle" after my rifle broke. Everyone on the posse offered to loan me his/her rifle, but I declined. Just wanted to try my pistols on the rifle targets. Did well, but times were very slow. No one thought anything about it. If you have a legitimate handicap I don't know of ANY club that won't make allowances, even .22s. I don't really understand the problem with receiving a time. Sure, being handicapped you won't be competitive with OTHERS, but you can use it as a benchmark to gauge your own improvement. Being humilated? No, not at all. Celebrate being able just to do it, as you stated, and eventually work on improvement.

Make lemonade out of the lemons, not a sour puss.

Steeldust Dan

Ok your rifle broke and you improvised, did you start with 4 pistols? No, and would that be permitted at a regional match, not from what I’m reading here. I’m quite sure they would appreciate my help if I waddied, but I wouldn’t be allowed to shoot.

Howdy Major

Have you spoken to your match directors about this?

I betcha if you did they would be of a mind to try to accommodate you. They are a pretty accommodating bunch of cowboys.

One of the cowpokes had to use 4 pistols instead of 2 and a rifle for some time because of a shoulder issue. They called it the Jose Wales Category.

I don't know about not recording the times.

I ain't never seen a real life revolving carbine. So personally I would like to see this in a match.

BTW: I have seen your name on the scoresheets at T&R and Lake County Pistoleros. I try to talk to as many folks as I can before and after the match but I don't believe we have ever met. I do have a shy streak in me though so sometimes I fall into sticking close to people I know. (Took me 2 years to muster up the courage to speak to Colonel Dan.) ;) (It's true!) So if you are of a mind at the next Lake County shoot come up to me and slap me on the back and introduce yerself. I'd be happy to make yer acquaintance.

Ride easy, Pard,

Waimea

The problem doesn’t rear its head until you get to the regional level. I know no one will say anything to me at a local club, and I drought they would say anything at “The Last Stand“. They all know me, and know I shoot for fun only. It’s a fact that the only way I’m going to win anything is if everybody else matches DQ’s themselfs.

What I don’t believe what is happening here is that no one appears to be reading what I’m saying, and reading in what they want to hear.

I know I can do darn near what I want to at a local match. They all know I’m no challenge to them no matter what I use. I could go out with a Glock loaded with 10 rounds, a Thompson loaded with 10 rounds, and a Browning Auto 5 pre loaded, and still couldn’t beet the top shooters.

It’s a combination of the fact that the top shooters practice. They are very quick using modified guns, with light loads. They practice speed. They practice with “there” guns. I don’t and I know there are a lot of people who don’t either. I drought they show up to win a ribbon, and know that unless something goes wrong for the top shooter, they aren’t going to win.

Could I shoot a Broomhandle Mauser? Could I use a Browning Auto-5?

That said, when I ran a club, we had an "open" category. It was any SASS legal gun and any SASS legal shooting style on any stage.

Cheers,

BJT

Sure why not. You’re exempt from "winning" anything but a Clean Match award. anyway.

if you come to my club ill carry you thru the stage -if you will fix your avatar

it makes my eyes water!!! ;):lol:;)

I don’t see anything wrong with my avatar. I think it’s you eye sight, just a sign of old age.

Archived