SASS Wire Forum

GUN RIGS

JOHNACM

HI ALL, IAM BRAND NEW TO SASS. JUST GOT MY PACKET. I HAVE MY GUNS.MY QUESTION IS WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY HOLSTERS? I DOIN'T WANT TO SPEND OVER $300. I NEED A COMPLETE RIG. IAM SHOOTING COWBOY COLT 45, 5 1/2" AND NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK 45, 4 1/2 CROSSDRAW. ANY HELP FROM YOU PROS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

You found it. Right here. The absolute best place to get the most bang for the buck in rigs is the SASS Wire Classifieds.

I have bought lots of leather here worth the money.

There was a really really nice Long Hunter extra fancy rig going begging here coupla days ago.

It was such a bargain I'd be amazed if it's still available but great deals are made here every day.

If you insist on buying new, I highly recommend Kirkpatrick and Mernickle as makers of the best competition rigs for CAS.

You will get a host of ideas and opinions on what is best for you. Here is just my opinion.

I say get something reasonable priced like Oklahoma Saddlery (and before folks start hollering OIL, I have two of their rigs from early days and still have them for friends to learn on.) but the idea is to find out what style you like before spending a lot of money. (ie hang of the holsters, cross or not, angle of the cross, how high the cross rides...etc..) learn what you like and then invest in more expensive.

And my suggestion for that is RedDog Leather, Paul is from Kentucky and I expect he can make you any rig you want for under your price..(including a shot shell belt or a slide if that is what you prefer.(

Check out my photo page:

http://sdough.smugmug.com

You can see a lot of the holsters I have and some of my friends have.

if you want any specific questions drop a pm..

now get ready for everyone else....you will get a lot of suggestions. Read them all and decide for your self.

curley

Guest diablo slim shootist

the Sass wire clasified would be a good start

next look at E-bay lots of rigs there

i own an El paso speed rig -pricey but bought

it used but like new from a cowboy on the wire! :wacko:

Also just try going to a match and see what people have. Or if there is a leather guy at your local club. My current set up is something a guy at my local club built for himself, then got bored with and made a new one for himself. He gave it to me and it works perfect for my style. Mabey someone at your local club has some spare leather you can buy.

Guest diablo slim shootist
Also just try going to a match and see what people have. Or if there is a leather guy at your local club. My current set up is something a guy at my local club built for himself, then got bored with and made a new one for himself. He gave it to me and it works perfect for my style. Mabey someone at your local club has some spare leather you can buy.
+1 :wacko:

If your looking to get your first rig cheap, ask around the local cowboy shoot. I'm sure somebody has last years model just laying around collecting dust. Maybe they out grew it or changed caliber or shooting category and bought a new rig. Your local club is a great resource for slightly used but well loved equipment.

Take a look at the SASS Art Works section, there are some very nice rigs there made by SASS members. One consideration is to decide on two strong draw or a cross draw. If you think you want to try one or the other but maybe not sure, I would suggest that you buy a rig with three holsters, two strong side and one cross draw. The small amount you will spend for a third holster that will match everything else is not much when you consider the price of another new rig if you decide you need a different holster set up.

PARD IM GONNA TELL YA!!!!

best rigs, hands down, i've ever seen, whether it be for design work, durabilty, capability. whatever u need, want, or feel like having.

ROCKIN DOUBLE J leather works has the top of line at absolutely great prices. they would be my first stop if i was you.

I have a beautiful set, 3 holsters (either one RH cross-draw and a RH straight up holster or two straight-up holsters. Comes with knife and scabbard as well. Matching shotshell belt as well. All with silver buckles. PM me and I'll send you pix. Paid near $500.00. You can have for your $300.00. Made by William Brown Leather in Tombstone, AZ. What size waist do you need?

Best regards,

Major Payne :unsure:

I don't know of any bad ones around here,but if you look on cascity leather forum you will see some awsome stuff from handcrafters there and they could use the work and remember christmas is right around the other side of that gobbler.. :unsure:;)

Dalton leather

Ned Buckshot

Cliff Fendley

just to name a few

Doc Disaster here and many more

Then get your Josie Wales coat,or Pale Rider coat from Tusac Jack,you'll be stylin!

Black Hills Leather, and the owner Rudy will horse trade with you if you know how. I was able to have over a C note taken off. My rig is very well made and I have gotten several comments on it.

• 2 weeks later...
And my suggestion for that is RedDog Leather, Paul is from Kentucky and I expect he can make you any rig you want for under your price..(including a shot shell belt or a slide if that is what you prefer.(

Check out my photo page:

http://sdough.smugmug.com

You can see a lot of the holsters I have and some of my friends have.

if you want any specific questions drop a pm..

now get ready for everyone else....you will get a lot of suggestions. Read them all and decide for your self.

curley

A BIG +1 for Paul at RedDog Leather. He made me a great rig and shotgun belt at the best price around. And my wife went to him when she got involved in this great game earlier this year, and he made her a very custom rig (my wife is VEY particular, i.e. "picky") and it came out beautiful for about the same price in your budget. And he's just so darn friendly!

And fast!!! :unsure: I never I had to wait more than 3 weeks to get anything I ordered from him.

EC

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

When I first started in SASS in 1989 a friend made me two holsters, I bought an Old West Reproduction belt, since the I've aquired several other rigs. Try going to a few gun shows and dig through the boxes of leather, also when you start shooting again ask any of the shooters if they have any rigs for sale

Good luck maybe Santa Claus will bring you one LOL

ENG :unsure:

I like Black Hills Leather. I've been happy with serveral items I have bought from them.

I further put my stamp on BLACK HILLS LEATHER....they give you bang for your buck, delivered when said and will do the extra things you want. Rudy is the best.

KK

Hi Pard and Welcome,

I just posted the following on another thread. It is something for you to consider before a purchase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You've got good advice. One thing to consider before getting leather is what style you will shoot. If you want to shoot gunfighter style (two guns out at one time) or double duelist (one gun at a time but left gun shot with left hand and right gun shot with right hand) you will need a double-strong side holster. If you want to shoot duelist with one hand, you will need a cross draw. If you use a two-handed grip, either a double-strong side or a cross draw will work.

Check out the SASS Shooter Handbook for other category requirements. B-Western has clothing, leather, and rifle specifics; but, any shooting style may be used. In age-based categories, any shooting style (except gunfighter), SASS-legal guns, and leather may be used. If you want to shoot a black powder category, you may not use a '97 SG. There are more details than I've listed. So, be sure to check the booklet and know what category you want to start with and whether you may change after a while.

Happy Trails!

Allie Mo

• 4 months later...

I know that I'm bringing up an older thread and the OP already bought his rig but I thought I'd add some info about the system that I just purchased for any new person searching the forum.

I purchased the Evil Roy-Slim Jim series from Mernickle, with the bullet slides that can be changed if a person changes calibers and I went with the cross draw style. I can always change that too, by simply buying another strong side holster and replacing the CD. I had them sew 10 extra bullet loops on the rear for a rifle reload, to give me a total of 22 bullets on the belt.

The locking system for the holsters is really nice and simple to use. Three screws in the back of the holster allow you to move the holsters and then lock them in place.

The leather is amazing. For those of you that dabble in leather work, I don't know how you do it, all i can say is that it is truly an art form.

Now I'm waiting for my shot gun belt to arrive from Long Hunter. I had them change one of their belts to include enough bullets in the slide for a rifle reload also.

I like the links that everyone posted and I'll probably try some of the other makers out when I'm ready to order a Wild Bunch rig.

I like Black Hills Leather. I've been happy with serveral items I have bought from them.

Big +1 on Black Hills. I have three of their rigs and am quite happy. Started with the MONTANA rig. Then the BANDIDO rig and the KK rig. With $300 you put yourself in a category to get a quality rig. When i first started I bought a cheap one and finally moved up to Black Hills. The standard rigs are just what you need or Rudy will take one of the standard rigs and will customize it for you if you want something special like a certain degree of cant or a special concho and he will assist you in your decision.

The rigs are metal lined to hold their shape and he will deliver when he says.

Call Rudy and talk to him in your decision process.

Good luck.

KK

Guest Mace Bishop

Still looking for a new rig myself. I like the Black Hills Bandito rig, but I also like a rig from Cochise Leather.

Does anyone have a Cochise rig, and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks,

Mace

THANKS GUYS TO MY GUN LEATHER QUESTION. I PURSCHASED HOLSTERS FROM TOMBSTONE LEATHER PRODUCTS. THEY LOOK GREAT AND HAD A GREAT PRICE. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGESTIONS.

I bought my wife's rig from there (Knights/Tombstone). Their starter rig is an excellent bargain.

THANKS GUYS TO MY GUN LEATHER QUESTION. I PURSCHASED HOLSTERS FROM TOMBSTONE LEATHER PRODUCTS. THEY LOOK GREAT AND HAD A GREAT PRICE. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGESTIONS.

Thanks god - you made a great choice. Nick's Starter rigs...and everything else for that matter, are a GREAT deal.

Top quality rigs...and I mean TOP QUALITY, at reasonable prices.

Check 'em out if you haven't yet: Tombstone Leather

:FlagAm:

Archived