SASS Wire Forum

USFA

MMJ#89586

I think USFA makes a great product and I am buying one. However has anyone else noticed that their marketing sucks. You can find nothing that has USFA on it, not a sign, t-shirt or bumper sticker. Yes I understand that they make guns and they are more worried about the product they produce than trinkets. However some of those trinkets can become just as big of sub culture and value as the product it's self; just ask coca cola and harley for ex... I think they need to up the ante and really start to brach out. If you can think it you can just about find it with a colt symbol on it even Ruger and many others; but not USFA.

Howdy, MMJ -

I understand "different strokes for different folks," but the lack of a T-shirt is about the last thing I think I'd complain about from a gun company. Guess my priorities just lie elsewhere...

Regards, TJH

I know exactly what your saying. But a t shirt= advertising and avdertising= sales. But I understand your point totally.

If they,USFA, make a good product, guns not shirts they will overcome and slowly sell more.

True, shirts were just an example of one item. I'm also referring to advertising items such as signage and shooting supplies and other items to allow there customers to express their brand. This could speed up there brand loyalty and also allow the company to grow beyond cas.

I think USFA makes a great product and I am buying one. However has anyone else noticed that their marketing sucks. You can find nothing that has USFA on it, not a sign, t-shirt or bumper sticker. Yes I understand that they make guns and they are more worried about the product they produce than trinkets. However some of those trinkets can become just as big of sub culture and value as the product it's self; just ask coca cola and harley for ex... I think they need to up the ante and really start to brach out. If you can think it you can just about find it with a colt symbol on it even Ruger and many others; but not USFA.

USFA????? Never heard of'em.

Howdy

T-shirts don't impress me. Good guns do.

I can think of at least one company whose dishonest marketing practices are what will prevent them from ever seeing one red cent of my money. A pard gave me one of their hats as a joke last year. I burned it.

I do wear my S&W hat almost every day. But I have been buying Smiths since 1975.

I do not wish to be part of the "branded me" collective. Any manufacturer who wants me to wear their logo or slogan needs to pay me. Not the other way round.

Yep, I don't need to advertise that I have a particular firearm to the general public, nor do I need to wear a logo that stirs up angst among those who harbor a hatred toward an inanimate object such as a firearm, nor inform would be perps that I might have a firearm back in the house, vehicle, etc. Low profile, low hassle, high impact.

Good luck, GJ

I do not wish to be part of the "branded me" collective. Any manufacturer who wants me to wear their logo or slogan needs to pay me. Not the other way round.

Remember back in the day when t shirts were just white? :wacko:

I'd rather have them use the extra dough they woud spend for the t-shirts or whatever into making quality product, which they already do and that's great guns.

what more is there to it.

You can get a t-shirt making kit from office supply stores or Walmart pretty cheap actually.

Well, from my observance, whatever advertising tactics they are incorporating into their business seems to work because there is MORE talk about USFA pistols on this here SASS Wire than Ruger and Colt combined.....atleast lately.

..........Widder

USFA has way more on their plate than they can say grace over.

Waitin' on a special order SAA since July. I knew it would take a while when I placed the order.

It gets me gizzard convolutin' jest sittin' wonderin' what they might come up with next.

USFA has way more on their plate than they can say grace over.

Waitin' on a special order SAA since July. I knew it would take a while when I placed the order.

It gets me gizzard convolutin' jest sittin' wonderin' what they might come up with next.

I got a matched pair of USFA SAAs from Long Hunter & didn't have to wait at all. I sent him the gold dust & he sent me the guns. Only thing that would have speeded up the process is if I had driven up there & did a FTF w/cash.

That's what I was thinking. Don't they already have a backlog on some guns?

Chris, I have been to the factory twice. Both times, looking at the unassembled revolvers in the To Be Completed area, their backlog is substantial. Also, never saw or was offered any USFA 'trinkets'

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Maybe USFA doesn't have a very good Marketing Department?

Companies don't have to go overboard, but name recognition is a big deal in business.

:wacko:

About a year ago I bought a new Colt and a new USFA revolver. Holding them in hand side by side and looking at the workmanship made my decision. I resold the Colt and lost money on it. Nothing all that wrong with it, just lacked attention to detail. I have shot the sin out of the USFA guns I have. Never any problems, shoot point of aim every last one of them. I now own 20 plus USFA revolvers, bought them anywhere they turn up. All models and calibers, master engraved, charcol blued and bone case hardened, silver plated with pearl grips, bead blasted and blued, gold inlayed, factory stock guns, etc. Anytime I need any help I make one phone call and the problem is solved right then. I will continue to buy them while they are still available. Should the company ever close its doors, they are certain to gain value. Word of mouth, one person to another, is still the best advertising.

As I read through the posts I see that most seem to disagree with me; which I fully expected. However I can't help but ask myself while reading the post what does USFA the company want. Some may be asking why the he11 I care, but I do. We're looking at a type of a company that you don't see every day. A relativley new company making a top notch product that even people in the gun busniess have never heard of. And even if they have heard of USFA many know nothing about them. USFA seems to strive to compepte with gun makers like Colt directly; buy reading some of your posts it sounds like USFA wants their product to speak for itself; and it does, but only to the nitche group we see here. From what I've seen from Colt they strive to sell there product to anyone they can, even those who will never shoot a round down a cas range. It all seems strange to me; some ask why would they want more business, they can barely keep up with the orders they have now? I say- to stay back logged... to stay in business. Maybe marketing is not the answer; but I don't see it hurting.

I got a matched pair of USFA SAAs from Long Hunter & didn't have to wait at all. I sent him the gold dust & he sent me the guns. Only thing that would have speeded up the process is if I had driven up there & did a FTF w/cash.

I did order this one from Long Hunter but it is a special order. He can't do his magic on the gun until USFA gets around to making it in their own sweet time. Jim told me going in it would take a while and I can wait. The longer it takes, the more time I have to scrape up the loot w/o (hopefully) having to resort to plastic money.

Long Hunter is the only smart way to buy a USFA. Same price as other places but with the world famous LH action job included. And even sweeter is his new store in Amarillo is only 50 miles from me.

I'd rather have them use the extra dough they woud spend for the t-shirts or whatever into making quality product, which they already do and that's great guns.

what more is there to it.

I agree. I see these promotional offers like "buy our X and we'll give you a "free" one of our Y's". I'd rather they put the cost of the Y into making the X better, or at least reduce the price of the X by the cost of the Y. Word of mouth is one of the most powerful advertisements.

What marketing? USFA doesn't market anything....they promise a lot, but don't deliver.

Longhunter is the best part of USFA as far as I am concerned! He has done more to market their guns than USFA ever has! Longhunter should be running USFA!

You would have to take some business classes to understand all phases of marketing and try to understand the owner of USFA. He was born with a huge sum of money waiting for him. He had a dream to own the old Colt Factory and build a better gun. I for one have purchased two sets from Long Hunter and would buy more if not so poor. I have owned Colts that were not as well made. Doug is in my mind a bit eccentric but we all have problems. He stopped production of his cowboy guns so that every one could tool up and make the SAA that came in all the baked on different colors a few years back. You don't see any one shooting one do you. It was a flop worse than the EDSEL. He has built the Rodeo's in the 44-40 twice. Once for a short run and then only offered them in 45 Colt and 38Spl. His reason was that the Rodeo's made in the other calibers took away sales from the premium line. I tried for over a year through Jim Finch to make some 44-40's in the Rodeo's again. Finally one day Jim called me and said he has agreed to do it but with a $100 per gun upcharge. I said OK and ordered them. They are very nice revolvers and are now my main match guns. I did end up with two revolvers with a s--- three digit sn's. Maybe the S means Special and maybe not. The people who make fine watches, automobiles, wines and so on for the most part don't make T-shirts. I bought my first Harley Davidson pan head in 1964 and at that time if you saw some one with a shirt it was because he owned a bike. Not so Today. Later David

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, DD is a "bit eccentric" but aren't we all? The man has basically been losing money every year USFA has been in existence. How much I dunno but up in 6 figures every year would just be my WAG. I suspect the retail line of USFA is a tax write off for one thing. Owning the company allows him to fulfill his firearm fantasies and the rest of us benefit with the finest 6guns ever made. Mebbeso not so much of a marketing genius, but a gun dreamer genius par excellence. The desert tan, flat dark earth, ruby red magnums went nowhere but the flat black one is still supposed to be available according to the website. I need one. Someday.

Can't wait to see what outrageous, outlandish, or just plain gorgeous latest new thing the man comes up with next.

Archived