SASS Wire Forum

What Rifle to use?

Cash Creek

New kid on the block..

I don't have my rifle yet and wanted to know what you cowboys shoot.

I was thinking about a Henry or a Marlin in 45LC..So what do you use???

I just want to buy one right now to keep peace in the family..LOL

I reckon Ya said 45 Colt 'cause you already have revolters in the caliber; so I agree in keeping all on the same feed. If you have neither hand arns or long arn; then ask yer ownself what all you will use these for and what your persuasion will be. 44/40 and 45 Colt are supreme black powder (BP) wart hog choices. 44/40 gets the edge for rifle fodder as it tends to blow back less through the receiver and out the King's gate. 45 Colt is a little easier to reload as the modern cases are very robust. I prefer the Marlin rifle for its strength, reliability, and durability. I like the 24" heavy barrel for off hand balance, but that is each to his own. If Ya don't intend to shoot BP, I think 357 is the all around choice for gaming and inexpensive practce and reloading; even 357 shoots Holy Black real well IF you get a copy of the Snakebite mold.

Real good advice about trying other shooter's arns before buying. Its not a toothburs, afterall.

prs

• 4 months later...
Guest txmac

Of the two that you listed, the Marlin is it, hands down! Can be smoothed easily and is very reliable. I've only seen a few henry big boys that ran well.

You can use the marlin in every class except classic cowboy.

Good luck and welcome to the fire, yura gonna have a blast!

Cheyenne

Also new to SASS here, I am newly retired from the military and looking into SASS as a new hobby. Looked at the HBB but it just doesn’t feel right when I handle it. I’ve been to one match and heard good things about the Winchester 73. I am looking at the Classic Cowboy category the wife is still looking. What long gun is suitable for CC?

We are planning on attending the Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club round up on May 1st.

I already own:

Winchester 94 scout .45 colt (I know it’s not suitable for CAS but I inherited it when my uncle died, it’s a jam-o-matic but still love it)

New Ruger Vaquero .45 colt

Reloading equipment

Archived