SASS Wire Forum

What Rifle to use?

Cash Creek

New kid on the block..

I don't have my rifle yet and wanted to know what you cowboys shoot.

I was thinking about a Henry or a Marlin in 45LC..So what do you use???

I just want to buy one right now to keep peace in the family..LOL

If you want to buy one rifle for all around use in cowboy action shooting:

Uberti 1873 Short Rifle (20" barrel) in .45LC.

You'll get more mileage out of that rifle in that caliber than any other. You can shoot it in almost every SASS category . . . you can shoot it in Wild Bunch . . . you can shoot it in Western 3 Gun . . . and you can shoot it in NCOWS.

.45LC is cheap and easy to reload. If you are short a few rounds, lots of folks use the caliber, so you can borrow some.

Of the two that you listed, the Marlin is it, hands down! Can be smoothed easily and is very reliable. I've only seen a few henry big boys that ran well.

You can use the marlin in every class except classic cowboy.

Good luck and welcome to the fire, yura gonna have a blast!

Cheyenne

Go out to some matches and try the different options and choose which you like best.

I shoot a Marlin and like it alot. Now I'm wanting to add a Uberti 73 to the stable. Henry has a few followers, but more vocal nay sayers. Having never shot one, or seen one I won't comment further on Henry.

Grizz

First choice - '66 carbine in 44-40; 2nd choice - '73 carbine in 44-40

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) mcGee

Since you are just starting out I would recommend a Marlin rifle in .38/.357. The rifle and the ammo cost less than the other rifles or calibers, If you decide you like this sport you can get another rifle later and sell or keep the Marlin as a back-up. Most of us have back-up pistols, rifles and shotguns in case your main guns break.

Once you get the basics down you can start trying other guns and calibers.

The Marlin 1894C is a great starter rifle. That's what I started with and I still have it. It has given me zero problems. I have several Marlins, a couple of '66s and a '73. Some are .38 Specials and some are .45s.

Since we shoot so much you will also need to look in to loading your own ammo.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the Game!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
1873 is the most common I see. I use a 1894 Marlin CBC, which marlin stopped making. It's stroke is longer than a 1873, but its smooth and I like it.

+1

I just got started myself and found a great deal on a pristine Marlin 1894C in .38/.357 at a local gun show, so I bought it. I like it a lot. It's the 18.5" barrel and the specs say it holds 9 rounds but I am able to load it with 10 rounds of .38spl with no problem. I'm new to SASS but have been around guns over 30 years and my first rifle was a Marlin 336 in .35rem, so I feel as though I've come full circle!

Another consideration of mine is that I like to buy American whenever I can. I believe both of your choices are made in the USA.

When I've looked at them, I noticed that the Henry loads the magazine tube by pulling the tube out of the front of the mag tube and dropping the rounds into the mag tube from a port on the underside of the tube. I'm sure it works OK (I also own a Marlin 39A that loads .22's that way) but I honestly prefer the side loading gate of my 1894C.

Good luck!

Lou

Howdy:

I think you need to go to local matches and determine what fits your budget and personal preference. Everyone will be willing to let you try there rifle and you can make a more informed choice for yourself.

Good luck, Lefty

If you want to buy one rifle for all around use in cowboy action shooting:

Uberti 1873 Short Rifle (20" barrel) in .45LC.

You'll get more mileage out of that rifle in that caliber than any other. You can shoot it in almost every SASS category . . . you can shoot it in Wild Bunch . . . you can shoot it in Western 3 Gun . . . and you can shoot it in NCOWS.

.45LC is cheap and easy to reload. If you are short a few rounds, lots of folks use the caliber, so you can borrow some.

Then relatively speaking 38 is free.......

Then relatively speaking 38 is free.......

Conventional wisdom is buy is the 73 Uberti in 357/38. That it is the most expensive model, it will be years before you are good enough to benefit from its very real advantages and it is useless for anything except SASS events doesn't deter the conventional wisdom.

If you are like me and got into this game to shoot big bore then the 45, or the 44/40 is for you. The 45 is a little easier to reload than the 44/40 but the 44/40 is more authentic. The Winchester round was 44/40. The 45 is the second most popular SASS caliber after the 38/357. The 44/40 is better in many ways, but not so popular because you need to be a little more attentive at the reloading bench. The 44/40 is way cool, and the best for black powder shooters. The 38 is about 25-30% less expensive to reload than the 45 (lead is the real variable), but much less expensive if you don't. The key to keeping costs down is reloading. If you don't there isn't any choice, buy 38/357.

If you are on a tight budget you might check around for a used rifle. Get what you want and have fun. If you want to keep peace in the family 2 or 3 years from now, then buy a used rifle in 38/357. That way you won't have to buy new reloading equipment when you do buy that brand new shortstroked Uberti 73. If you want to remember the good old days growing up then get a large bore shooten iron and don't let the folks around here deter you.

Looks like the 73 then the Marlin are coming through as first and second but you didn't mention cost and if that is a factor you may think about a Rossi model 1892 in 45 LC (the gun I use). It has a fair following, goes for about 500 bucks in stainless and mine has served me well right out of the box (although I have spruced it up a bit). Some will say that they are hard to feed (mine was not) and some will say in general finicky (mine was not). I may have been lucky I don't know but 500 bucks allows a bit of attention at your favorite smith as well as opposed to guns costing two and three times as much. Give it a thought if nothing else. Smithy.

I shoot a Henry Big Boy and a Marlin.

my other half

shoots a 1866 and an 1873

All are running 125 gr 38 special at 1.5" OAL

Attend some matches and hang out at the unloading table. Shooters are happy to show off their rifles. You will learn more in one day about which rifle will make you happy than you could learn by reading the Wire for years. FWIW, I ended up with a 73 in .357 but if I was going to shoot Classic or black powder, I'd choose a 44-40.

New kid on the block..

I don't have my rifle yet and wanted to know what you cowboys shoot.

I just want to buy one right now to keep peace in the family..LOL

First let me say Welcome! When my wife and I first started we bought a new Puma in .45 Colt, and within 6 months it was in the shop and eventually traded off. We looked at the Marlin and Henry because I also wanted to hunt with my rifle, the Marlin will accept a scope and the Henry will shoot the hottest ammo out there, so I went with the Henry. To me it's the best all purpose rifle, but for CAS alone it's not a favorite, plus it's a bit pricey $900+. I recently inherited a Rossi 92 in a trade, and true to form it's broken and on the way to a Smith. I guess that leaves the Uberti :rolleyes:

Have fun..................BSD

You can probably find a already "short stroked" used 73 for not too much dough. I think the 73 is the best fer CAS, just MHO. Rye

What kind of cowboy are you?

Do you think you will ever want to shoot blackpowder?

Do you think you will become competitive and try to win, or place high, in a state, regional, or national match?

How handy are you mechanically? Does taking a rifle apart and putting it back together come easy for you?

Is the cost of .45 versus .38 a problem for you?

All our answers tell you how we have answered these questions for ourselves. May not help you much.

This is a question I asked when I started and I still can't tell you what I like the best. I love my tricked out 73 shooting 38's. I also love my stainless 44 mag marlin shooting cases full of triple 7. The 73 is faster as it doesn't move off the target at all on the bang, the other kicks, jumps, makes a huge smoke cloud, and is just a blast to shoot if times don't really matter to you.

It's all in what you are looking for and what makes it a fun afternoon for you. Asking us what rifles we like is like asking a group of car buffs what car to get…you’ll get a dozen absolutes out of ten shooters and none of the answers will be what’s best for you. I’ll let you in on the real truth, it really doesn’t matter what you shoot at all as long as you are safe and having a good time.

Cash,

The best advice you have received so far is get to a match. See what other cowboys use and ask questions.

So let me invite you to the Nason Mining Co. Regulators match this coming weekend 11/20/10. It should be around an hour and a half drive give or take for you. They are located just west of Benton, Il off Interstate 57. If you can make it let me know I will bring my 73, 66, and 92 and extra 38 ammo for you to use. I realize these are not what you are considering nor in your caliber but they will give you an idea. I will talk to a pard and see if he would bring his Marlin in 45 also.

Hope to see you there.

Smoke

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been cowboyin' for a few years, but I faced the same issue you brought up. Starting with one rifle, one shotgun and a pair of pistols is a good idea, but let me warn you....it won't stop there! I started with a Henry Big Boy in 38/357 but have since added a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. Both shoot very well and have been problem free. I like them both.

Deadeye

I have been shooting just a short while and love it. I am 67 , I love the looks of the 66 but I shoot a Nate worked on 92 in 357/38 and it is way faster than I am. .I will never out run my 92 with the work done on it by Nate.

Guest diablo slim shootist

well lets look at it like this;

92 Rossie $4oo

1894 marlin $600

1866 Winchester $750

1873 Winchester $900 to $1500

all very usable more money more user friendly

38 / 357 most popular

45 second most popular

38/40 44/40

third

Best buy on gun broker (marlin in 44 mag) but dont tell anyone-Diablo

Ps what ever you git make sure it holds 10 rounds -some carbines only hold 9 :wub:

Something not mentioned is that Marlin makes 1894s in stainless steel (.357 & .44 mag - both good SAS cailbers). My wife and I acquired a stainless Marlin rifle for foul weather days. Stainless is worth the extra cost - even here in the high desert.

Guest drjjpdc

Cash,

I agree with the others about getting to a match to try different toys. FWIW, I have 1894 Marlins in .38/.357 Mag & .45LC.

I also have a Henry GB in .22LR. In addition, I have shot the Henrys in the bigger calibers. They are all quality firearms & shoot very smoothly,

in particular the Henry action. Good luck and remember to have fun.

John

Hello and welcome. I agree you should go to some matches and see what feels best to you. I did that and wound up buying an already short stroked 73 Uberti done by Cody. My thinking was if I decided later to have it short stroked, it would cost more just for the shipping and to pay the dealer to send it. I gotta also strongly recommend .38/357 unless you really feel the bigger bore is more authentic. It will save you a lot of money, even if you reload. An Uberti is not cheap, I gave $1325.00 for mine, but it is slick and a pleasure to shoot. It easier, in my opinion, to clean because of the sideplates, and just for me, it is the best looking lever gun of the era. I also got a Trapper Model with the pistol grip stock, purely a personal preference. Beware, it grows on you and I've had a ball in my short year of SASS. Enjoy!!!!

I started with a 92, then a Marlin, now a 73. I have two one in 357/38 one in 38-40. Given that I bought two rifles before the 73, it would have been cheaper to buy a 73. Want a lighter rifle look at a carbine 73.

Do you have pistols yet?

If so, buy whatever caliber they are.

No guns yet?..........Buy something in .357 mag and shoot .38's.

I've shot .45's for years and am just now going to .38's

.38's are faster, cheaper to reload, and just easier overall.

Marlins are fine rifles..........buy a simple Marlin .357 carbine....do a little "slickin" work on it......shoot it for a year or two until your ready for a 73.

Go tour the clubs.........shoot all the guns.........find out what you like.

If you don't get Cowboys offering you all kinds of guns and ammo to try.......... call me and I'll put a WHOOPIN ON EM!!!

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

after wrestling with a variety of 92's I finally bought a Uberti 73, the Trapper model with 18" Octagon barrel in 38/357 and a short stroke kit. Best thing I ever did, I should have done it sooner.

Welcome to the campfire.

IMHO the two best rifles are a short-stroked 73 or a SPUR short-stroked Marlin. The stock on a 73 has way to much drop for me so I shoot a Marlin.

I would sugest you go to a local shoot or two and try some rifles. There barrel lengths from 18 to 24 inches, round, half round and oct barrels. They are all different weight and change the ballance of the rifle. There are straight and pistol grip stocks available on most.

I would also suggest buying a slicked up rifle from one of the many reputable gunsmiths so you do not end up sending the rifle of to be done, loosing it for some shoots and paying frieght both ways to have the needed work done. A stock rifle is clunky, rough and will probably break soon. We shoot more in a month than most do in a life time.

Just the view from my rocking horse.

McKenzie

Archived