SASS Wire Forum

Here's my guns; What catagory is for me?

MMJ#89586

I've been reading the SASS handbook and now I'm totaly confused. My guns are a USFA SA .45lc revolver, a Ruger Blackhawk .45lc revolver a Stoeger double shotgun no external hammers and a Marlin lever action .357. Can I shoot any catagory with these?

No Classic Cwboy (guns must be 40 cal or bigger, rifle must be 1873 or older and side by side shotgun needs exposed hammers iirc)

If you have a buscadero or dropped holster rig you could do b western

Just do age based and start playing, worry about fine tuning your category after you get going.

Grizz

I've been reading the SASS handbook and now I'm totaly confused. My guns are a USFA SA .45lc revolver, a Ruger Blackhawk .45lc revolver a Stoeger double shotgun no external hammers and a Marlin lever action .357. Can I shoot any catagory with these?

You COULD shoot in the age based categories (which one would depend on your age)

You could NOT shoot duelist - only fixed sight handguns SHB p 13

You could NOT shoot gunfighter - only fixed sight handguns SHB p 14

You could NOT shoot Classic cowboy - only fixed sight handguns and rifles must be 1873 or older (clones ok) SG must have hammers SHB p 15

You COULD shoot BW if you have the correct clothing and holsters that keep the handgun butts below the belt line SHB p 16

Hope that helps

Regards

:D

Gateway Kid

Dang Griz, you keep getting faster and faster! :blink: How ya been doing pard?

MMJ - you NEED to get to a local match and talk with pards to answer all your questions. You'll learn this a lot faster face to face than keyboard to screen. If the shooter's handbook isn't clear, most likely the Wire is not going to be much better for you. (You know, you could have shot three or four matches in this period you have been asking us questions.)

"Don't worry, be Sassy" - Bobby McShootin

Good luck, GJ

MMJ - you NEED to get to a local match and talk with pards to answer all your questions. You'll learn this a lot faster face to face than keyboard to screen. If the shooter's handbook isn't clear, most likely the Wire is not going to be much better for you. (You know, you could have shot three or four matches in this period you have been asking us questions.)

"Don't worry, be Sassy" - Bobby McShootin

Good luck, GJ

Howdy, thanks for the info. What sucks is all the local matches are done here till march. So I'm kinda on my own till then. I want to practice but I'm not sure how to.

You COULD shoot in the age based categories (which one would depend on your age)

You could NOT shoot duelist - only fixed sight handguns SHB p 13

You could NOT shoot gunfighter - only fixed sight handguns SHB p 14

You could NOT shoot Classic cowboy - only fixed sight handguns and rifles must be 1873 or older (clones ok) SG must have hammers SHB p 15

You COULD shoot BW if you have the correct clothing and holsters that keep the handgun butts below the belt line SHB p 16

Hope that helps

Regards

Gateway Kid

Dang Griz, you keep getting faster and faster! :blink: How ya been doing pard?

He could shoot senior duelist if he was old enough, because it is an age based category and Blackhawks are allowed.

He could shoot senior duelist because it is an age based category and Blackhawks are allowed.

Not at 33.

MMJ, you can shoot the Cowboy category. After you turn 36, you can shoot either Cowboy or Wrangler. If you replace the Blackhawk with a fixed-sight gun, you could shoot Duelist or Gunfighter.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I want to practice but I'm not sure how to.

Here's some easy steps:

Buy some cowboy type lead ammunition for your .45 colts, your .357 rifle, and get a few boxes of Winchester AA 12 gauge, low recoil low velocity shells are good. Buy an electronic shot timer that you can clip to your belt. Learn how to read the total time of several shots, then the splits - times between each shot - off the timer.

Go to range where they will let you shoot close up. Max 15 yards.

Put up paper plates on cheap stands - cheap because you will likely shoot up the frames. Put a 1 inch orange dot sticker in the middle of pie plate.

Pace off 5 yards. Draw and fire revolvers. Hit the orange dot if possible. Adjust sights on the blackhawk to let you do that. Learn where to hold the USFA to do that.

Speed up your firing, aim for all 5 shots on pie plate from one revolver in 5 seconds. Then step up to 4, then 3 seconds. Stop when your thumbs fall off. :D

Pace off 10 yards. Same drill, but with rifle loaded with 5 rounds. Get down to 3 seconds. Then start loading rifle with 10 rounds, get down to 4 seconds. Stop when you've broken your wrist. :blink:

With 2 target stands you have almost destroyed, pace off 5 yards. Starting with shotgun empty, load two rounds and hit pretty much center in pie plate, and shuck out the empties. Repeat until pile of shotshells reaches knee caps and your shoulder is solid black. Actually, repeat until you don't ever miss, and you can fire two round from empty shotgun in 3 seconds.

Then start practicing moving from one gun to another. Get a cheap folding table, cheap but sturdy. Lay a rifle on it, loaded with a couple of rounds, action closed on empty chamber. Shoot a shot or two from revolver, holster, pick up rifle, shoot a shot or two from it. Repeat until your arms are 3 inches longer. Then do revolver to shotgun, shotgun to rifle, rifle to shotgun, rifle to revolver, shotgun to revolver. Then practice running three steps to get to either of the long guns. Then shoot a long gun and start moving three steps quickly after laying it down safely, action open.

When you are not having a range day, dry fire at home in a safe location. Unload, then check to see if you have unloaded, and never have any live ammo around when dry firing.

If you have gotten all that done by spring, you will be kicking everyone's butt next spring.

Oh, by that time you will have taken up reloading as a hobby, too, as the cost of the practice ammo will be mounting up.

Good luck, GJ

You can also dry fire to practice, many clubs put the stage descriptions online, one example is The Mima Marauders

Get snap caps for all your guns, for the rifle you'll need to file down the rim so that the extractor won't pull it out, when you are done knock it out with a rod from the other end of the barrel.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO LIVE AMMO ANYWHERE IN THE ROOM, OR ON YOUR BELT.

Tape paper plates on the wall to simulate the target placement, larger plates for the closer pistol targets, smaller ones for the rifle targets.

Set up a couple of tables to stage your long guns on.

Put on your leather, load up the shotgun belt or slide with snap caps.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO LIVE AMMO ANYWHERE IN THE ROOM, OR ON YOUR BELT.

If you have a shot timer, you can use that to give you a start beep.

Dry fire your way thru the "stage".

Alot of time is lost on transitions from one gun to another, work on those, also on loading the shotgun, work on that.

Doc Shapiro's online book has lots of good info, but I can't seem to find it, maybe someone will post a link.

Grizz

now if I'd just follow my own advice, I might get faster my own self.

He could shoot senior duelist if he was old enough, because it is an age based category and Blackhawks are allowed.

You are correct. The senior duelist category appears to be an exception to the outline of the "Duelist category"

Am I reading that properly?

Thanks for the correction.

Regards

Gateway Kid

You are correct. The senior duelist category appears to be an exception to the outline of the "Duelist category"

Am I reading that properly?

Thanks for the correction.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Yep,

It falls under the guidelines for an age-based category except for shooting style.

Regards,

Allie Mo

• 1 month later...
What, pray tell, is the Baptist Category?

A long running joke. :P

Any time categories are mentioned, Birdgun brings up the Baptist category.

I guess he figgers if we are gonna have eleventy-seven kuh-jillion categories, we oughta have a category for the Baptists, too.

He could actually shoot Duelist, Double Duelist, or Gunfighter style if he were to shoot in B-Western.

I sure hope we aren't confusing the poor boy!

I'm glad I found this thread as I was just going to ask the same question. I have two 1858 Remington C&B revolvers, a side by side 12 GA shotgun and will more than likely be ordering a 92 Rossi from Nate. I will eventually buy either some .45 revolvers (fixed sight) or consersion cylinders for my Remingtons. I am 67 so I will more than likely shoot in Silver Senior Catagory until I hit 70 (boy am I that old?) :P

Seventy Ain't old

>

>

>

>

>

Fer an Oak .....

Hardley started ta fill-out ....

Jabez Cowboy

Can you shoot GF Wrangler?

Howdy:

Grizz has the answer - "Just do age based and start playing, worry about fine tuning your category after you get going." This multiple category stuff is pure nonsense - you wanna shot - then shoot - age categories solve that in short order.

STL Suomi

Howdy MMJ,

Welcome to the fire!

You've been given lots of good ideas here, but I thought I would suggest something. You might try contacting some of your local clubs and I'll bet that someone would be willing to help you. Even if the matches are done for the season, there will be a pard or two that would enjoy showing you the ropes and helping you with questions, procedures, etc. Of course you can always get answers here, but hands on experience will do more for you in the long run.

Be safe and have fun!

Regards,

CBG

You can also dry fire to practice, many clubs put the stage descriptions online, one example is The Mima Marauders

Doc Shapiro's online book has lots of good info, but I can't seem to find it, maybe someone will post a link.

wn self.

http://www.jspublications.net/

Wrangler or Cowboy, you decide if you want to be a winner and after the first match, look at scores with the ones shooting wrangler or cowboy and then pick the one you want to excel in, now granted the first match being in Mar, may not be alot of cowboys there because still could be snow on ground, colder, etc etc, now me I wait until it is warm, each year gets worse for me, I'm a senior, can't take the cold as I could when younger, right now it is in the 30's or 40's and I'm cold, can't wait until it reaches the 70's, then I'm ok, anything below I'm freezing, why I stay in Iowa I don't know, should move to a warmer climate all year long and can shoot all year long, that is my dream, but don't have the money for that, I can take the heat really good, give me the 90's and I'm in seventh heaven.

Now if you are talking about the Turkeyfoot club, just saying they have some good and fast shooters there and some of them are senior to boot, practice, practice, practice

All for now JD Trampas

Wrangler or Cowboy, you decide if you want to be a winner and after the first match, look at scores with the ones shooting wrangler or cowboy and then pick the one you want to excel in, now granted the first match being in Mar, may not be alot of cowboys there because still could be snow on ground, colder, etc etc, now me I wait until it is warm, each year gets worse for me, I'm a senior, can't take the cold as I could when younger, right now it is in the 30's or 40's and I'm cold, can't wait until it reaches the 70's, then I'm ok, anything below I'm freezing, why I stay in Iowa I don't know, should move to a warmer climate all year long and can shoot all year long, that is my dream, but don't have the money for that, I can take the heat really good, give me the 90's and I'm in seventh heaven.

Now if you are talking about the Turkeyfoot club, just saying they have some good and fast shooters there and some of them are senior to boot, practice, practice, practice

All for now JD Trampas

Is turkeyfoot the club near Waterloo?

Is Turkeyfoot the Club near Waterloo?

Yep!

I live by DeWitt, Iowa. Where exactly are you located. In early January I could make a drive and maybe be able to answer some of your questions face to face. Drop me a PM if you are interested or any questions you might still have.

Marlin

As Marlin stated, that is the club, check out the scores from this year, then you can see how many shoot wrangler and cowboy

Looks like you will shoot cowboy since you said you was 33, wrangler is for 36 and up, not many shoot cowboy at Turkeyfoot, most are wrangler plus all the other classes u

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I also look at the other clubs that I shoot at, looks like more wrangler than cowboy

Yes, first Sat for Turkeyfoot, 1st Sun for Fort Des Moines Rangers, 4th Sat for the Zen Shootists, which the Zen I believe is going to the 2nd Sat next year, will know after Feb, then the Goddard Cowboys, a independent club in Colfax shoot either the 2nd or 3rd Sunday which depends on the owner's work schedule

All for now JD Trampas

Archived