SASS Wire Forum

Please help: problem transporting firearms

Habanero

When are you comin' through San Francisco Habanero?

I live just 10 minutes away from the airport. So, if you need some help once ya' get here, give me a holler. PM me for my cell phone number if interested.

Eamon

Many thanks Eamon. We're coming through on 3rd December. Getting in pretty early in the morning, but I expect to be held up getting my immigrant visa processed then getting my guns through Customs. Our next flight is in the early afternoon, so I think I've allowed myself enough time. I'll definitely PM you to get the phone number in case I have any real hassles.

Regards

Habanero

It's been my experience that traveling with guns in the US is a lot simpler than folks are led to believe.

The LAST thing ANY airline wants to do is explain to ATF how they lost luggage containing firearms.

And as previously stated...check-in clerks don't give a rat's patoot how many rifles are in one case. I usually have a rifle, shotgun, and two pistols per case and never given a hard time.

As an aside...When we moved to Germany from the US and brought a dog and a cat with us, they came over as excess baggage for $80 a bag vs. the $320 to ship a pet. They were in pressurized compartments and taken care of very well. Also...fill their water dishes with frozen water...it doesn't spill on takeoff or landing and gives them just enough to drink when they need it.

I just happened to think that you guys are coming into summer as we're going into winter. So...lots of airlines have temperature restrictions on shipping pets. Please be sure to check into this. Shipping pets can actually be harder than shipping guns.

Sorry if you already know this...I don't mean to be preaching...

Hope this helps.

That tip about the frozen water is a good one. I'll pass it on to the folks who are shipping Oscar for us. I think that he's leaving Perth early in the morning, so the heat won't be a big issue. Sydney will be the real problem. English Staffordshire Terriers have a hard time with the heat because they are really heavily built.

The bill for shipping the dog comes to $3000 - about twice the adult economy class fare. He'd better live for a long time!

I'm hoping that I won't even have to speak to any airline staff about the guns in San Francisco. With any luck, I'll be able to get them tagged for Salt Lake City in Sydney and just get them cleared by TSA in Frisco. I've got an extra ticket on Delta Airlines just in case there are any dramas with United.

When you get to Salt Lake and you need someone to help out that knows the area please PM me would love to help a fellow cowboy.The funny part of this thread is my wife has just landed in Sydney a couple of hours ago.

When you get to Salt Lake and you need someone to help out that knows the area please PM me would love to help a fellow cowboy.The funny part of this thread is my wife has just landed in Sydney a couple of hours ago.

Thanks, Lefty Pete. I'll PM you now, 'cause I got some questions!

Hi Habanero,

When you get to SF customs, just declare your firearms and hand them your BATF paperwork, and that you have a connecting flight to SLC. They will process the paperwork and won't even look at the guns. Well they didn't to mine. They will then direct you to where to go to pick up the connecting flight. If you fly all the way with United (and that would best) you should get your connecting flight boarding pass when you check in at Perth. This will save you having to go to the United counter in SF. Then you put the bags on the belt directed there will be staff there showing you, and you must declare the firearms and in which bags to the guy at the transfer belt. He'll then just put them through his scanner and they will follow your bags onto the flight. It might even be the TSA guys. They are normally pretty good. I think the info you have got about United is wrong, there is no problem with them and many of us from here fly Air New Zealand and then United as they code share. You shouldn't have a problem and I wouldn't go Delta as a connecting flight as you'll have to do all the check in again?? Flying United all the way is the better option as you can have your bags tagged all the way through to SLC and won't have to recheck in like I said.

Tip, remain cool calm and collected and friendly even if you are getting stuffed around. They have all the power ...and you have none?

Have a good trip.

I'll be at Winter Range in Feb if you're still there>

Cheers

Whatever you do, do not use the word "Frisco" while in San Francisco.

Swiss

Yeah, I read somewhere that aversion to that name goes back to the 19th century, when the local people of quality decided that it did not have the distinguished tone that they wanted for their city and banned its use. I find it funny that natives of the city still get upset about it. I think that they are the only ones who regard it as a derogatory term and I'd confidently say that most don't even know why. It's widely used by Americans that I know, without any apparent malice. Never mind, I just won't use it there.

Hi Habanero,

When you get to SF customs, just declare your firearms and hand them your BATF paperwork, and that you have a connecting flight to SLC. They will process the paperwork and won't even look at the guns. Well they didn't to mine. They will then direct you to where to go to pick up the connecting flight. If you fly all the way with United (and that would best) you should get your connecting flight boarding pass when you check in at Perth. This will save you having to go to the United counter in SF. Then you put the bags on the belt directed there will be staff there showing you, and you must declare the firearms and in which bags to the guy at the transfer belt. He'll then just put them through his scanner and they will follow your bags onto the flight. It might even be the TSA guys. They are normally pretty good. I think the info you have got about United is wrong, there is no problem with them and many of us from here fly Air New Zealand and then United as they code share. You shouldn't have a problem and I wouldn't go Delta as a connecting flight as you'll have to do all the check in again?? Flying United all the way is the better option as you can have your bags tagged all the way through to SLC and won't have to recheck in like I said.

Tip, remain cool calm and collected and friendly even if you are getting stuffed around. They have all the power ...and you have none?

Have a good trip.

I'll be at Winter Range in Feb if you're still there>

Cheers

Thanks, Jackaroo. I only made enquiries with United because Qantas said that I needed to confirm with the local airline that they were OK with the guns. So I called the United call centre (in India!!!!) and got this story about how I was only allowed 2 rifles, which was later confirmed by email. That's what started this whole thing. So I'm glad that I was able to get the straight story from you guys on the SASS Wire.

At least I've got a few options when I get to San Francisco.

Don't know if I'll make it to Winter Range. We have our hands full with buying a house in Utah, starting up my business and getting the kids settled in schools. Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot on the weekends, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm sure I'll run into you at one of the competitions after I get settled. Let me know if you're passing through Salt Lake City.

Cheers

I imagine you have already purchased the airline tickets from SF to SL. If not, or if you can get a refund, then why not rent a car/van in SF and transport your guns and family to SL?

That was going to be my suggestion. Nice drive, too.

• 1 month later...

Well thanks everyone for their helpful comments. I managed to get my guns through Customs and airline check-in with United without any real problems. It was a time-consuming process, but everyone was friendly and helpful, which was great coming off a 13 hour flight from Sydney.

We're in Salt Lake City now, looking for a home to buy. Hopefully, we'll make an offer on a place tomorrow. I'm picking up the dog from the airport tonight.

Cheers

Habanero

Archived