SASS Wire Forum

Ambush 2011

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:D:D:D

sorry it took me so long- but the scores & some pic from ambush 22 shoot are on the web sight.

rimfirecowboyshoot.com

thanks everyone hope you had agood time.

...never did find the .22 scores from ambush...

I'm going to paint this picture of the events from last night:

It was about 7 pm, dark, temps around 35 degrees, light rain; finally found the the missing mama cow, who is 4 months pregant; she has been in a pond for I don't know how long and can't get out.

Ms. Mary Matilda, her sister & husband, her brother, and me are trying to get this cow out of the pond who is unable to get out by herownself. Sister's husband and me are in the pond pushing her (5 year old mama cow) toward the bank (we are waist deep or so. We're able to get her right at the bank; I back my truck with the Deweese round bale lifter on it right to the edge of the pond while Sister's husband is putting straps around her which are fastened to the bale lifter; the mama cow is up on shore now. It is now about 8 pm, still dark, cold, and with light rain, and yes we are wet.

We get Sister's husband's large stock trailer up close, but the mama cow is unable to get up. So, we get the strap around her just behind her front legs and lift her up with the bale lifter while Sister backs the truck with trailer back under the front portion of the mama cow. Brother gets his oxytetracyclene and gives her a shot. We slide the strap under the cow to just in front of her rear legs and lift her again, while Sister is backing up very slowly, and Brother and Sister's husband are brute forcing the slide of the mama cow into the trailer.

She in. It is now a little after 9 pm. And yes, it is still dark, cold, raining, and we're still wet.

Early this morning check on her and she up on her feet; gets a bucket of protein cubes, half and bale of hay (small rectangular kind); and water. She looks much better.

Will be leaving in 20 minutes to take her to the vet.

...wanta buy some cows????

Flint, glad to hear you are progressing so well. CC good luck with the visit to the Doc. Looking forward to seeing you and Don in December. Don sent me some pic's of his new dog.

What are everyone's plans for Turkey day. Di and I are going to visit the grandchildren. Looking forward to going someplace without getting on a plane and having to work when I get there.

Seems that Ms. Maggie is having to w**k on Turkey Day, so I will be here trying to get things together for when she gets home... The worst part is... as a cook, I make a mighty fine Gunfighter... :D:D:D

CC, I didn't get to call you as my w**k was having issues and I spent some time getting that all straightened out... I even had to give my boss marching orders... I'll give you a call as soon as I can...

HTF, thanks for the kind words and good wishes... If this does get better and I can do away with the cane, there'll be no stopping me... and that's what I'm hoping for...!!!

Vaya con Dios

I had an uncle that was in the cattle business in 1901 as my Daddy told it to me. (his brother) Funny thing was he borrowed cows from other folks in rural N.C. and he got caught. Daddy made bail for him and didn't see him again for nearly 50 years. Just disappeared. I was around 14 years old the first time I met him and he wanted me to write a book about his life. Never got around to it. He died before I was fifteen.

OKB, speaking of cows, I hunted several years on a farm in middle Ga. and every week-end I went down there during hunting season it seemed like we had to pull a calf. I finally asked the owner if any of his cows ever had normal births. Cows-is-not a 9 to 5 job.

Today I picked up a pair of SS 4 3/4 Cimarron 357's. I am going to give them to my gunsmith for action jobs and white grips. Anyone know of an engraver that's close to me that's reasonable. We lost our engraver. (motorcycle accident)

...vet said the mama cow had broken a ligament in her right hind leg and that she is as good as she'll ever be, in that she can barely support her own weight, but would not be able to get out of a pond by herownself or support a bull...

...so she's in the corral now going to be eating a steady diet of sweet feed, protein cubes, and lots of hay for the next 30 days or so, then off to the stockyard... .

I remember me and dad bought 2 Black Angus for breeding purposes, payed good money. About 2 months later one went down, and would not get up. We used the front loader and harness means to raise. Vet came and after examination found that the H bone was broken. We ended taking the angus to slaughterhouse, but lost quite a lot of meat because of the time on ground. 2 weeks later the second one went down, same thing. Vet said it might have come as hereditary, weak bone structure of the bones.

Any type of farming, or ranching is 24/7, be it animals or working through the nite to bring wheat or beans in because of rain coming. MT

OKB on most day's of late I would trade with you in a heartbeat. But having been there done that I think I am getting a little old for wrestling with cow's . Hell I don't think I could wrestle CC's midget. Sorry CC couldn't resist.

Flint don't let the W*()_ stress you out. That will slow the healing process.

Three more day's and we head south in the mustang to visit the kids and grandchildren. Hope it's warm enough in South Ga. to put the top down.

Hey Hairtrigger Floyd! After that visit with the kids in south Ga., you oughta just keep going south in search of 85 Degrees. Seems that I remember doing that on hwy 41, Tamiami Trail. We ended up on Marcos Island, beachcombing.....

We ended up here: http://www.pelicanlakemotorcoachresort.com/

OK, Hairtrigger Floyd. I put in a weather request with the Big Guy for South Jawja. I have been assured that you will have mid-70's and sunny skies for this weekend. Have a good trip. Watch out for all those deer.

Thanks Bob, We are driving the Mustang since it is two years old and only has 7000 miles on it I decided it needs to be worked a little. Thats what I decided; but if rain is forcast I doubt Di will let me take it out of the garage.

...and here I thought cars were meant to drive....

...you're Mustang has led a sheltered life...

...sounds like those folks that have those big 4 wheel drive Hummers and pickup trucks that have never been off the road....

...what would 'Mater think?

Pop bought a bull and cow when we bought the farm, I was about 8. Had a calf that had to be pulled, had to get the neighbor up in the middle of the night with his tractor but they wouldn't let me help. Lost the bull and cow to pneoumia that year but the calf lived. Had ol' Bossy for about 15 more years. She was the only calf we ever had to pull except for one that died in the cow. That was not a pleasent day.

I enjoyed workin with the cows with Pop when I was still home but once I got married there just wasn't much time. Good tell story after story about the fun we had raising cows. Thanks for making me remember those good times with Pop, OKB. :D

Where is this match and where is the app?

Major Payne :wacko:

Where is this match and where is the app?

Major Payne :wacko:

...east of Huntsville Alabama; out toward the town of Grant.

Boys, I've been so dang busy tthese days I just don't have time to spend on this wonderful space. I miss it. Things are looking dim for my trip to Ala. on the 4th. All my pards have other things that came up and this SEC thing blinded and deafened Miss Carol. She also forgot that I was going and invited two couples to come stay with us and go to the ball game in Atlanta. BUMMMMMMMMERRRR!!!!! I won't be going to the game but I have to be here to entertain. BUMMMMMMERRR!!!!!!

So this is an official notice to all my Pards in Alabama-------I won't be coming over on the 4th. I will however be shipping the work I have completed to you very shortly. Believe me, I am not happy about this.

Found this on page three????? Com'on all you who have the time to write home. Keep this post going. I will look in from time to time. MT where are you?

Here's wishing all of my pards a :wacko: HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!!!!

Thanksgiving day is almost here,

The weather is nice the skies are clear

I put the turkey in the pen with the corn

We've had this ole hen since my granddaughter was born

We fatten her up and clean her out every year

We even celebrate her demise by drinking a beer

Lo and behold on Thanksgiving eve

Someone shows up with a frozen one and the old girl gets a reprieve

Somewhere in here there's a lesson to be learned

Find it if you are smarter than me--I'd be concerned

So celebrate Thanksgiving as tho' it were your last

Remembering all the good times and those who have passed

Amen

So celebrate Thanksgiving (and every day) as tho' it were your last

Remembering all the good times and those who have passed

Here, Here!

Thanks Pard... :wacko:

If and I use that word loosely, everything works according to plan, Silver Dollar Don and I will be leaving on Friday headed to Alabama for the week-end. Look out Regulators--here we come.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Just got home from south Ga. Don you did good the weather was ideal. I did get a little sunburn since Di insisted on riding around St. Simons Island with the top down. No more long trips in a small car.

HTF,

SDD and I will see you sometimes Friday. I hope we can leave here early so we can get in a little practice on the 22 range. We are staying on the range. Tell Di I said hello.

CC

Ya'll best be watching that Silver Dollar Don. He's pretty good with them 22 pistols and he's been Wild Bunch shootin too. I hear from a reliable source that he's got a short accomplice running with him too.

I wish I could go with them but there are too many things going on.

I am not a midget. I am just vertically challenged.

...and their other crime is for not having a place in LA....

...lower Alabama, that way I could go visit and get warm. :lol:

Archived