SASS Wire Forum

Ambush 2011

MT they don't put out the list till Thursday. Last mintue folks and all.

LSC don't be puttin no sweet tater pics up near the chaw lines as we need to eat to keep our strength up! :wacko:

Tell ya what don't bring em out till we've started drankin neither. Not sure I want to see them drunk but I know I SURE don't want to see them sober. :lol::P

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pics are on the way notice sawer has the biggest tater in the pic. a pic with my knifettes cheering me on before the hooter girls got involed. some one must have a pic of me and the 500 k motor home the state furnished me to come to ambush. did I mention BW had to walk.

Now the way I remember it is you arrived on a golf cart and I was in a brand spanking new F-150 with a chaffuer :lol: Yes I can see it as plain as day now. Oh BTW does your foot still bother you :huh: If anyone wants to know about the story of the tater ............I will explain in person only $5.00 donated to my favorite charity.

I think Ringo made a bundle on that story and I received no royalities either. I need a new manager that's it.

Well, Ruckus in the Nations was a great shoot! Great folks there from 11 states!!!

...got home this afternoon, got the RV cleaned out, Ms. Mary Matilda and my guns have been cleaned, the pocket pistol brass is being cleaned as we speak, and will be leaving for Alabama this coming Wednesday....

...got our ammo boxes repacked...

...ready to go...

OKB,

Ya'll have a safe trip and we will see you on Monday, good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise.

CC

I started reloading for Ambush today. Made up 'bout a hundred .44-40's and fifty 12 ga. shells. Got another hundred or a hundred and fifty .44-40's , a hundred .45 Colt and another seventy-five 12 ga. shells and I'll be ready to go.

Can't wait, boys and girls!!

CC I found out this morning that Lawman Mark Had made one too! Oh well, we'll set up both. I have trophies.

Dang Quigley,

I didn't mean for that to happen. I sorry.

I will give 2nd place prizes to make up for it. How about that?

CC

Dang Quigley,

I didn't mean for that to happen. I sorry.

I will give 2nd place prizes to make up for it. How about that?

CC

Cherokee Charlie has introduced a new side match at Ambush....shooting table making. So far, me and AQ are tied for first place!

All it takes to get entered is build a shooting table for CC's .22 sidematch....who else wants to join in :P :P :P

I will bring the bench.

Was doing some reloading this afternoon when I discovered I'd had a tremendous brain fart. I had two fifty round trays of prepped brass - primed, sized, case mouth belled - the works. I hand-dip my BP, so I took a tray and loaded up. I don't have to worry about double charging a case, as I use a full case load and compress the bullet on top of the BP and put a healthy crimp on the round to make sure I maintain consistent OAL.

Finished with the first tray and started on the second and ten rounds in, I dropped a case and, lo and behold, I didn't spill any BP! I had neglected to dip any BP in the second tray! Pulled all ten rounds, dipped all fifty cases and then finished up loading the cases. I wasn't distracted - no TV on, no stereo playing, no kids running around my feet, and no cell phone to bother me.

I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing!

Reload safely, Pards!

Glad you caught that, BR. I got a couple of Oops awards a few years ago when I had a powder measure that would occasionally fail to drop a measure of powder when loading .45 Colt. It caused my son to have a couple of squib loads.

I ended up pulling and checking right at 400 rounds. I found about a half dozen without powder.

Bama....I think its just the excitement of Ambush being so close...we know you load safe. Just settle down...only a few more days and the fun begins!!!

I'm too excited to sleep!! :lol:

Jury is still out on my being able to shoot or not due to surgery. But I will be there with posse one to help out even if I can't wear my gunbelt. See ya'll Wed. night.

This will be my first Ambush. I've heard so many good things about this shoot, can't wait to get there. Looking forward to meeting all

the Ambush pards. See ya in a few days.

Driving my RV to the match. What is the best way in (road conditions)? Will be coming north on 59. Is it better to come in from South or

go on up 65 and come in from the north. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marshal Big Daddy Jenks

I've got a Cowboy match and a Wild Bunch match this weekend and then I start packing for Ambush. Ammo has been losded for months and the dutch ovens are clean and ready to load. I even got to the range last weekend to practice with the .22 pistols. I hope the weather cooperates like the last 2 years.

This will be my first Ambush. I've heard so many good things about this shoot, can't wait to get there. Looking forward to meeting all

Driving my RV to the match. What is the best way in (road conditions)? Will be coming north on 59. Is it better to come in from South or

go on up 65 and come in from the north. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marshal Big Daddy Jenks

Howdy Big Daddy Jenks,

Come up 59 to Birmingham and hit I-65 there. Go north to 565 East, towards and through Huntsville, AL. That will run into US Hwy 72. Continue east on Hwy 72 into Jackson County, AL, and watch for the Cathedral Cavern State Park signs...follow them. You'll turn to the right off of US Hwy 72 onto on Jackson County Road 63. Go approximately three miles and turn east on Cavern Cove Road. Go approximately 0.2 miles and turn left onto Ambush Trail. This is the driveway to the range. If you get to Kennamer Cove Trading Post, or the entrance to Cathedral Cavern State Park, you've gone just a mite too far. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number in case you need it.

We'll see ya there!

...just took the brisket off of the smoker!

...and yes we had a sample; mighty fine is the word!!!

I have got some reloading to do! I just counted 27 stages of shooting, between the black powder, wild bunch, .22 shoot and the main match! Oh yeah I forgot to add for the night shoots and the other side matches. What do you think will 5000 rounds cover it? :wacko:

Howdy Big Daddy Jenks,

Come up 59 to Birmingham and hit I-65 there. Go north to 565 East, towards and through Huntsville, AL. That will run into US Hwy 72. Continue east on Hwy 72 into Jackson County, AL, and watch for the Cathedral Cavern State Park signs...follow them. You'll turn to the right off of US Hwy 72 onto on Jackson County Road 63. Go approximately three miles and turn east on Cavern Cove Road. Go approximately 0.2 miles and turn left onto Ambush Trail. This is the driveway to the range. If you get to Kennamer Cove Trading Post, or the entrance to Cathedral Cavern State Park, you've gone just a mite too far. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number in case you need it.

We'll see ya there!

Thanks for the helpful information. See ya soon.

Marshal Big Daddy Jenks

Can someone explain a little about the night shoots? How many stages?....approximate round counts?....shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns? I know you never have too much ammo....I just want to make sure I take enough!!

CC, 2 benches is enuff! Sides LM's is twice as nice as mine. Has that dead zero mount on it. Just set your rifle into it and it automatically puts you dead on each target. He also installed the automatic lever cocking device that can cycle the lever in .000002 of a second. So far his best time on 8 targets at 50 yrds is .000009 of a second and clean.

Mine just has legs. :P

Barkeep, ya may just be a little light on your round count. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marshal Big Daddy Jenks

In addition to the excellent info that Lawman gave you, here is a link to the directions page on our club's website. If you scroll down, you'll see a street address or lat & long settings you can punch into your GPS. I'll have my bunkhouse there - just look for Bama Red's Saloon, Sporting House & Genl. Mercantile. I won't be far away.

Cavern Cove Directions

Can someone explain a little about the night shoots? How many stages?....approximate round counts?....shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns? I know you never have too much ammo....I just want to make sure I take enough!!

It's just a one stage side match if I recall. 10-10-4+. Only problem is, it's real dark back in them woods and only lit by sporadic strobe lights. Ya has to remember where the targets were and then shoot up amongst them.

Yup! That's what it was last year - not sure if Graver Bill is gonna change it up much this year or not.

Archived