SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales category? What is it?

Kid Latham, SASS #79471

I shot it last weeekend at our club and the rifle targets were at regular distance

(only missed one of them but several of the regular pistol targets)

pistols were staged on table if stage called for rifle to be held I would hold pistol with barrel touching the table

In all it was a lot of fun and will do it again and try to get acouple others to try it also.

sure looked funny to have 4 pistols on your belt at one time

I'm no expert and don't try to play one on the wire, but isn't there a SASS rule that prohibits carrying more than 2 loaded pistols to the firing line?

I really want to try this sometime.

Hey Mack!! Like I posted on another thread, from my point of view S.A.S.S. gives us some latitude to experiment. We met with some resistance at first when we began J.W. and Outlaw categories at some of our nearby clubs. We still do in some cases.

Wartrace may have been the first place to host a state match that allowed Owtlaw. Our neighbors up at Oak Ridge had been doing it for a while and after some demonstration and clarification it's become one of our more popular categories.

At the first Smokeout In The Hills, Splitrail told us about shooting Josey Wales at his home club and I just had to try it. A couple of years later we decided to offer the category if enough (read that three) people signed up. Our safety officer was uneasy about some of our guidelines and the multiple pistol thing was at the top of his list. Again, we demonstrated the procedures and I showed him how my four gun pistol rig worked and with the help of several RO IIs and a couple of RO IIIs we allayed his misgivings and now we shoot Josey Wales at Smokeout every year.

It takes work to start a category and sometimes it doesn't play the way you want. Find a club that shoots Josey Wales and make a field trip out of it! You could come over ta' Tennessee for Smokeout 2011. It's worth the trip. Just ask anyone who has been there. That is an official invite by the way.

In reguards to the 4 holsters my normal pistols are strong right side with cross draw

and the rifles (pistols) are a strong right side in front of my normal pistol and a strong left is behind

my cross draw that way there is no braking the 170 rule when stageing the pistols on the table

one nice thing about this type of shooting is you do not loose any brass

Huh? One club out here (not SASS affiliated) has a Real Man Cigar category. You have to keep the cigar lit during the stage or get a P.

Regards,

No E - D!

I'd have to take the P. It took me about 45 years to get off of tobacco. Don't need to start again.

We shoot Josey Wales as an occasional STAGE. We call it LET ME BORROW YOUR GUNS stage. Lots of fun for one stage. Wouldn't be interested in a complete shoot with JW.

Archived