SASS Wire Forum

How hot is hot?

Horsekiller Al

I've never been to New Mexico. Especially in the dead of summer. I'm from the North East and I gotta tell ya...being baked by the sun is just not my favorite past time so I've never considered going to EOT. Seriously, it would just make me absolutely miserable. I just saw that the EOT is at 5000 feet. Does that make the heat bearable for wimps like me?

Actually the ranch is 7000 feet,and YES it does make a difference.

And I know that you have heard this before,but it is DRY.

I have been going to EOT for the last 11 years, when it was in Ca. and now New Mexico,and trust me, the heat ain't that bad. I will say you MUST drink lots of water,but that's because of the altitude, not the heat.

Come on out and join us next year for the 30th. It's gonna be something to see.

Like FF says, drinking water is the key. In the low humidity and altitude you lose water rapidly. It must be replaced or dehydration sets in and you will feel awful and shoot worse. Wear light colored clothing, a big hat, moderate your alcohol and coffee intake, slug lots of water and you can have a pleasant experience. Maximum protection factor sunscreen is advisable if you are a fair-skinned gringo like me. Also, the one day you shoot the afternoon shift, come well-rested and fully hydrated. When your posse is done shooting head for your RV or motel to cool down and drink lots of fluids. Only the afternoon is hot. Mornings, evenings and nights are pleasant.

Added information on 7/14: Founders Ranch is very near the Tijeras Ranger Station and is at about the same elevation. The average high temperature for June at this station is 88 deg F. See the climate data at http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nmtije. With a relative humidity of less than ~10%, this is not brutal heat. The record high for Edgewood (nearest town to Founders Ranch) is 100 def F. See this link.

We here in the great southwest begin to use the HOT word at 115......

Drink plenty of water before the match and maybe a gator aid during....

Have an extra towel to throw over your guns at the loading table or you will learn the meaning of HOT IRONS.

It was not that hot.

More in the 90's in the hottest part of the day.

Cooled off fast at night. In fact. I turned the heater on in the camper one mourning.

Had been in the high 90's around here with real high humidity.

So I found the heat at EOT. Not bad at all. (no humidity)

Now DUST. That is another thing altogether. :FlagAm:

Now see....even mention of numbers around 115 will pretty much guarantee that I not attend. I can just see people standing around looking at a really nice Ruger Old Army stuck in a puddle that used to be me.

As has been said, it is not that hot. 90 degrees at that altitude and with LOW humidity is a heck of a lot more comfortable than 90 degrees anywhere east of Colorado & New Mexico. I would rather spend the summer here than on the east coast - done that from Florida to Cape Cod, and WEST IS BEST!

Buena suerte,

eGG

(who has swallowed the anchor)

it's been so hot here in Kentucky I just

finished giving away $74,000.00 in a cooling program

all the money was gone at 9am. yesterday

now we have hundreds of families

that have been flooded and have no home

seems like the world is going down hill FAST !!!

Archived