SASS Wire Forum

FIRST TIME VISIT

Six Gun Salty

Hello all,

I just had to write this down and let everyone know. I have experianced one of the highlights of my 57 years and that was my trip to EOT this year. My better half and I after 26 years of being together took our first "vacation" alone without our sons (2 each). And one of the highlights was our visit to EOT. I'm a very new cowboy, only have one six gun so far but look forward to being as active as I can and to generate interest with my local gun club and start a chapter here in Bay City Texas.

We had a great day at EOT. The sights and sounds were just great. The people we met even greater. Words just don't come to me that can describe just how wonderful it is to see. We are already planning for our trip next year. I welcome any and all comments from anyone that has started a club, I know I can't do it myself and will appreciate your comments.

By the way, our trip (a total of 3100 miles) included a visit to the Grand Canyon. If you have never been, PLEASE put it on your bucket list. Gods creation at its best.....

Six Gun Salty

Bay City Texas

USNR AKC

• 2 months later...

2011 will be my first trip to EOT. Any advice for a first time traveler to the greatest event in SASS?

2011 will be my first trip to EOT. Any advice for a first time traveler to the greatest event in SASS?

DRINK WATER.

Bring plenty of ammo, plus 25% more.

Drink water.

If you are camping at the Ranch, turn off your generator by 10:00 pm (2200 hrs).

Relax, enjoy the shows, buy stuff, shoot & be safe, and drink water.

Buena suerte, amigo

eGG

• 3 weeks later...
If you are camping at the Ranch, turn off your generator by 10:00 pm (2200 hrs).

Actually, 10:30 PM since the local news/weather ends then, and several pards like to know what tomorrow's weather will be - hot and dry, or hot and thunderstorm later in the day.

Bring a slicker, as the rain, when it hits, is heavy. Our rainy season usually doesn't start until July 4th, but the presence of a major event in NM like EoT has caused the weather patterns to shift so that a couple of afternoon showers can be dumped on the large confluence of campers and shooters. :o

Bring lots of money - the vendor selection is usually very good - very favorably comparable to Winter Range or the Convention.

Figure out your "sleeping arrangements". For many folks, that means booking a hotel room in Albuquerque for the week and commuting 45 minutes each way to the Ranch. If you are going to dry camp at the Ranch, get set up so you can be pretty self-sufficient for 4 days at a time. Meaning, checking that all your food, water, waste, power, and cooling systems work, are charged up, etc. The range is fifteen miles from nearest civilization, and having to hunt down parts is not what you want to do during EoT. Water refills and waste dumpage are available in the camping sites at the Ranch. No Hookups.

Good luck, GJ

• 6 months later...

its my first time to end of trail too this year. Does anybody know if there is any vendors that do metal engraving?

I've been iching to get my dust cover for my 73 engraved with my ailias....I didnt really

want to send it to someone online. I would rather give it to them in person to do.

:FlagAm:

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first time at EOT too. Driving 2,000 one way. YAY! :rolleyes: Should be fun though. Just got Conventioneer badges, but still have to figure out what hotel to stay at. We figured something in Albuquerque would be good.

Suggestions on where to go and where to avoid?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Halfcocked ..there is usually a gun engraver in town... and Dante .. Moriarity seems closer to me than Alb. And the accomadations are about the same. But you will only want to shower and sleep anyway you will be too busy to rest and relax. :lol:

Helda Huginkiss.

Archived