SASS Wire Forum

Motorized Gun Carts

Red River Mac

Are golf cars, ATV's and/or motorized gun carts allowed on the range at End of Trail? I would hate to drag mine all the way to New Mexico and then not be able to use it.

NO. Absolutely NOT!!. Some with mobility problems have used the little "rascals" to get around. You can use them from the campground to the parking lot. If you have a severe mobility problem you could contact Coyote Calhoun and request a variance, but I don't remember but 1 in the last few years.

• 1 month later...

From C Calhoun's blog

Golf Carts, ATVs, and single seat carts will be allowed on the Range Road and in designated parking lots on the west (near the bridge) and south of town. Golf carts or ATVs may only be parked along the fence line (grassy area) on the range road. They may not be parked in the road, in bays, or the mouth of bays, behind vendor buildings, or in front or around the Copper Queen/Belle Union. Even with permits, golf carts and ATV's are not permitted in town and may not be parked in town. Only single seat handicap vehicles are allowed in town. SASS will still provide handicap parking for vehicles with proper handicapped identification. Powered gun carts are permitted as long as they are not drivable vehicles. This will allow handicap shooters to drive within a short distance of almost every place in town and still keep town as dust free as possible.

NO. Absolutely NOT!!. Some with mobility problems have used the little "rascals" to get around. You can use them from the campground to the parking lot. If you have a severe mobility problem you could contact Coyote Calhoun and request a variance, but I don't remember but 1 in the last few years.

Perhaps you should read the current CC. What do you have against "mobility challenged" pards?

I am glad they changed the policy. It was being abused anyway. Just like no pets in town has been abused for years. I have NO problem with those who need them having assisted transportation. I was just passing on what HAS BEEN the policy for years. Change can be good.

I am glad they changed the policy. It was being abused anyway. Just like no pets in town has been abused for years. I have NO problem with those who need them having assisted transportation. I was just passing on what HAS BEEN the policy for years. Change can be good.

That's your story now, but your first post sounds like you were totally against it. What were mobility challenged shooters supposed to do when they got to the parking lot? If there was only 1 variance granted in the last few years, how was it being abused? Wonder how many SASS members were excluded from EOT because of the ban on mobility assistance devices? Wonder how you would have felt if you were one of those excluded?

For general information SASS is in the process of building handycapped ramps on all the Vendor buildings and the Bell Union, all will be finished before EOT.

We are making every effort to accommodate mobility challenged members and guests.

Bighorn

I wonder what brought that on? Either it was revenue driven, the "Wild Bunch" seeing the decrease in shooters at EOT and the ageing of the membership, did it to try and increase participation. Or, maybe they were faced with an ADA complaint. Nice to know that after all these years at founders ranch they are getting around to make it handicapped accessible.

Why shoot the messenger who passes on what has been documented policy for years and then turn around and shoot the messenger who passes on newer less restrictive policy too? Let's just be happy SASS gives us a game we can all go play together and a place to do it at too :rolleyes:

Why shoot the messenger who passes on what has been documented policy for years and then turn around and shoot the messenger who passes on newer less restrictive policy too? Let's just be happy SASS gives us a game we can all go play together and a place to do it at too :rolleyes:

I'm not shooting the messenger, I'm expressing my frustration that since the move to New Mexico, EOT has excluded mobility challenge SASS members. They are not the only range that did/does this. Yup, let's be happy that TPTB finally got around to accommodating all SASS shooters.

From C Calhoun's blog

Powered gun carts are permitted as long as they are not drivable vehicles.

I am not sure I know what this means. My gun cart is an electric powered, 3 wheeled mobility scooter with a gun rack and ammo box mounted on the back. So, it is basically a drivable, powered gun cart which, I assume, is illegal on the range. I am not handicapped but I am 72 years old. Pushing or pulling a loaded down gun cart between the parking lot and range over rough terrain severly taxes my stamina, which is why I have the scooter. I have participated in many CAS matches and I have yet to see a non-drivable, powered gun cart. Is this something like a self-propelled lawnmower?

Archived