SASS Wire Forum

East Albuquerque Hotels?

Dantankerous

I am looking at hotels for the EOT 2010. We stayed in Edgewood last year and were happy with the place we stayed but as we made reservations at three days before we knew we were coming to EOT we paid premium for the lodging. We are now considering staying in East Albuquerque for something different; closer to more restaurant options, other tourists attractions, etc... Are there any places to stay away from in East Albuquerque? Any places non-SASS/EOT/firearm friendly? Higher crime areas, just plain dirty lodging? We are currently looking at places like Comfort Inn, Econo Lodge, La Quinta, and Super 8. I would appreciate any help with this ya'll can give me.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan,

I can't speak to the individual properties you listed but do know that neighborhood since I owned a home there years ago. The location is not a high-crime slum but has some declining neighborhoods. There are several gangs in the area. Further, Central Avenue is a route transients funnel through Albuquerque. Because of the transient problem, I'd room in a motel north of the Eubank exit of I-40 where the motels are several blocks from Central Avenue. These aren't crime-free locations but you do avoid more transients.

You may find this review useful.

A couple of the hotels are located on Rt 66 before it turns into Central. On google maps they appear to be in or adjacent to an area called Canada Village. Do you know anything about this particular area?

Thanks again.

Dan

I drove by the Canada Village today after buying gas at Costco. As I remembered, all the motels are located right off Central. None looked like roach motels and advertized room rates (winter) were $30-$40. Next I drove around Hotel Circle just north of the I-40/Eubank exit. (I like the security of this location better.) Many of the properties had been renovated and rebranded by national chains. The Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard both looked good. I would consider them. Do view the feedback on motel rating sites. The experience of recent guests means more than curbside appeal.

Hi Dan,

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn East on 2 occasions for EoT and once at the Rodeway Inn, 2 doors up, when a bunch of us normally come over.

We found them quite OK clean and serviced every day. They are convienient as there is a very good super market across the road, you can get booze too, nice & cheap, and there is a laundromat there as well.

We have never had any trouble, never seen any transients what ever they are, and there numerous restaurants within walking distance or a short drive down Central Ave.

You are right at the I40 which is great, and after all you are only there at night anyway!

I'd recommend the Comfort Inn with a great free brekky over the Rodeway Inn though.

Cheers

Jack

Are there quite a few EoT folks staying in this area during EoT? It would be a fantastic opportunity to get to know more folks if this is the case.

Thanks again!

Dan

Yes Dan, many EoT folks stay there; just make sure you get an east side ground floor room is ideal, as when you come back from a day out at EoT a room on the west side is dam hot.

They also have swim pools and nothing better than a hot dusty day at EoT and come back for a few ales by the pool.!!!

Enjoy.

Howdy, Dan -

Since you asked, I'll throw in my 2¢ worth...

For the first three years after EoT moved to New Mexico, I stayed at one of the motels on the east end of Central Ave, near Tramway Blvd. While the motel was okay (a Best Western at the time; not sure what it's affiliation is nowadays), there seem to be a noticeable decline each year... in the motel and it's environs.

Couple of years ago, I switched to the Days Inn on Hotel Circle. As mentioned in other posts, this area is a little further west, but seems more upscale and secure than the east end of Central. There is also an excellent place to eat (the Owl Café) right across the street, and an Applebee's within walking distance just around the corner.

The commuting distance from this area to the range is about the same as staying in Moriarity, but you have a lot more options for eating and other places of interest, like Old Town, the Sandia Crest Tram, etc.

Regards, TJH

A also recommend Hotel Circle off Eubank. Before we bought the Airstream that is where we stayed. Lots of EOT shooters there. I have stayed on East Central and felt lucky to get out of there with all my stuff the next day. Not that there cant't be a problem anywhere in Albq. but Hotel circle is one of the better places unless you spend BIG bucks at the Hilton, Marriot, Doubletree, etc. which are further away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the friendly and shared info! Just one of the many reasons I love this great sport of ours- the people! And the history, and the shooting... lol.

I'll look into getting reservations hopefully as early as this weekend. Just one thing less to worry about for trip time. :FlagAm:

Dan

Archived