SASS Wire Forum

PM'ing for SASS Members...

Phantom, SASS #54973

Got a nice PM from a SASS Wire user...then of course I was blocked from responding by the chicken**** :(

This guy isn't a SASS member and I started to think, why shouldn't those that actually pay to keep SASS afloat have some added benefits here on the Wire over those that just use the benefits?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, C'mon, let it go in one ear and out the other................. :FlagAm: ............... so to speak.

~EE taft~

You mean like restricting PMs to just members? Sounds ok to me. If a non-member needed to contact you privately, he could ask for your e-mail and it would be up to you to decide.

You mean like restricting PMs to just members? Sounds ok to me. If a non-member needed to contact you privately, he could ask for your e-mail and it would be up to you to decide.

Exactly!

Hi Phantom,

A friend of ours and I also received PMs from that person. I know what those two messages contained. So, I'm sure that you are only objecting due to the offensive nature of your PM. Someone who hides behind anonymity to stir and insult folks does not deserve to have the full benefits of the Wire.

I have no problem with guests posting and asking questions. That is a good way to help new folks. :FlagAm:

I do understand!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I will PM you the name.

Heyya Allie Mo!

Got them and yeap, that's the one.

I do think that if someone is not a SASS member, they should have all the rights as anyone when it comes to posting publicly. If they "Troll" or "Stir the Pot", then the moderators take swift action. However, the moderators can't monitor the PM's.

Frankly, I don't need someone that isn't even a SASS member...or hinds the fact that he/she is, to be able to privately "Troll" and "Stir the Pot". Trolling and Stirring the Pot via PM's should be left to only SASS members!

I agree as PM'ing each other should be restricted to SASS members - kinda of a good internal networking thing.

Either way I'll deal with it :(

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I agree as PM'ing each other should be restricted to SASS members - kinda of a good internal networking thing.

Either way I'll deal with it :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'm with ya on dealing with it...that's what I'll do ;)

:(

I just hate it when someone sends you a nasty and inflammatory PM and won't even let you ring their neck! :FlagAm:

Have to agree with ya Phantom. The threads are OK to be read by non-members and the folks that might just be curious about SASS. It's a good way to spead the word and present a positive image of a shooting sport to the world.

PM is a priviledge that should be for members only.

I'm sure that if Mr. Harris were contacted he could backflush the IP address of the offender and slam the door on the miscreant permanently.

The 'net does have its uses, but the downside is that it gives some rude and unstable individuals a vehicle to engage in antisocial behaviour. The anonymity of the 'net and a screen name does not grant one a license to be unpleasant. I figure it's best not to put anything in print that you wouldn't have the cajones to say to anyone's face.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

I totally agree with Phantom and others on here in that PM's should be a benefit for SASS Members only.

I wasn't aware of this happening, but I can tell you it shouldn't be taking place at all. No one should be allowed on here where they can insult or offend someone in a PM and get away with it. Guests are guests in our home and should conduct themselves with some respect for where they are. If we, SASS, can't hold their feet to the fire over misconduct than we should find a way because the fact is that our members can't get away with that kind of BS.

And to look at it another way, what if it were some sort of sexual harassment of one of our sister members from someone on the outside? The point is that there should be a way of pre-empting a potential problem by way of limiting rights and privaleges to members only.

On a less serious note:

My wife said, "if they want to insult us ... make them join SASS and pay for the privalege of doing it." :FlagAm:

If the public wants to lurk that's fine but PM's should be between members. Period.

Sending a PM when you don't allow it back is like hidin' in an alley waitin for some poor slob to walk by then WHAM hittin them with a 2X4 from behind. That takes REAL courage I tell you. (insert sarcastic face here)

Waimea

I totally agree with Phantom and others on here in that PM's should be a benefit for SASS Members only.

I wasn't aware of this happening, but I can tell you it shouldn't be taking place at all. No one should be allowed on here where they can insult or offend someone in a PM and get away with it. Guests are guests in our home and should conduct themselves with some respect for where they are. If we, SASS, can't hold their feet to the fire over misconduct than we should find a way because the fact is that our members can't get away with that kind of BS.

And to look at it another way, what if it were some sort of sexual harassment of one of our sister members from someone on the outside? The point is that there should be a way of pre-empting a potential problem by way of limiting rights and privaleges to members only.

On a less serious note:

My wife said, "if they want to insult us ... make them join SASS and pay for the privalege of doing it." :(

Exactly! If you're a dues payin SASS member you absolutely can insult me via PM...you've paid fer the privledge! :FlagAm:

Its kinda funny that a nogood, lowdown, dirty, rotten, pinko, liberal, ex califonian should start this.

That should stir the pot a little.

Phantom you are dead on with this one. Guests are guests and welcome on the wire, but should not b allowed to use the pm feature until the become paying members.

Dewey

Jeez, I agree with Phantom twice in 1 day?!!!

What would be the logistics of locking out non members? Is it possible? I dont know much about how these boards are set up, but if its just a click of a mouse, then heck yeah.

DM

Take it one step further.

Other boards have a "ignore" feature. Click ignore on a Poster's comments and "poof" you don't ever see any of that Poster's comments again...

Take it one step further.

Other boards have a "ignore" feature. Click ignore on a Poster's comments and "poof" you don't ever see any of that Poster's comments again...

They have that feature here too. Never quite understood why someone would choose to ignore someone's posts. I mean, most of us are adults and should be able to handle reading posts from folks you may not agree with 99.999999% of the time...but it sure is a weird feeling ya git when that .0000001 post comes in.

Have to agree with ya Phantom. The threads are OK to be read by non-members and the folks that might just be curious about SASS. It's a good way to spead the word and present a positive image of a shooting sport to the world.

PM is a priviledge that should be for members only.

I'm sure that if Mr. Harris were contacted he could backflush the IP address of the offender and slam the door on the miscreant permanently.

The 'net does have its uses, but the downside is that it gives some rude and unstable individuals a vehicle to engage in antisocial behaviour. The anonymity of the 'net and a screen name does not grant one a license to be unpleasant. I figure it's best not to put anything in print that you wouldn't have the cajones to say to anyone's face.

I put up a "Paging MR. Harris" post.

Members Only PM service would be fine in this snowy corner of Indian Territory as well...

....and as far as trollin' is concerned, are we usin' artifical or live bait?????? :FlagAm:

Guest Hell-Bent Wade 18285
They have that feature here too. Never quite understood why someone would choose to ignore someone's posts. I mean, most of us are adults and should be able to handle reading posts from folks you may not agree with 99.999999% of the time...but it sure is a weird feeling ya git when that .0000001 post comes in.

I have no dog in this fight because I use the ignore feature - and it works very well for me - but I'll comment on improving the feature a little bit.

Unfortunately the ignore feature only works when you are logged in. Automatic log-in doesn't work, or at least, doesn't work across several computers, and you are forced to view - if not read - the ignorant posts until you manually log-in.

We wouldn't need the ignore feature if the black hat cowboy thought about his posts before he opened up with both barrels to criticize and insult cowboy shooters and mounted shooters who don't agree with them. The simple fact is that you don't have to be a cowboy for SASS to accept your membership dollars. Some people are from Texas. Some people in Texas wear cowboys hats. Not everyone from Texas who wears a cowboy hat is a cowboy. Or as a friend once said, "All hat - no cow."

I'll have to change my phrase to: "Logged in - happily ignoring". Also, I kinda like, "Ignore-ence is bliss!"

I just hate it when someone sends you a nasty and inflammatory PM and won't even let you ring their neck! :FlagAm:

LOL! That's funny!

Hi Phantom,

A friend of ours and I also received PMs from that person. I know what those two messages contained. So, I'm sure that you are only objecting due to the offensive nature of your PM. Someone who hides behind anonymity to stir and insult folks does not deserve to have the full benefits of the Wire.

I have no problem with guests posting and asking questions. That is a good way to help new folks. :FlagAm:

I do understand!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I will PM you the name.

That's funny! I have to agree with you all! People get upset with me for being a damn Cape Cod Yankee and saying it like it is in public and in the open! I'll shoot a rabid dog in the street! I don't have to corner it in a dark alley. And then you all get mad at someone else for speaking their mind in private!

Oh the Drama!

I told a friend yesterday that I didn't get Silverado. It's four hours (seems more like eight) of a bunch of non-authentic people riding arounding just doing stuff. He replied and said it's an opera. Then light dawned over marblehead. An Oat Opera! All we need around here is the Oats and we can have a sequel!

I have no dog in this fight because I use the ignore feature - and it works very well for me - but I'll comment on improving the feature a little bit.

Unfortunately the ignore feature only works when you are logged in. Automatic log-in doesn't work, or at least, doesn't work across several computers, and you are forced to view - if not read - the ignorant posts until you manually log-in.

We wouldn't need the ignore feature if the black hat cowboy thought about his posts before he opened up with both barrels to criticize and insult cowboy shooters and mounted shooters who don't agree with them. The simple fact is that you don't have to be a cowboy for SASS to accept your membership dollars. Some people are from Texas. Some people in Texas wear cowboys hats. Not everyone from Texas who wears a cowboy hat is a cowboy. Or as a friend once said, "All hat - no cow."

I'll have to change my phrase to: "Logged in - happily ignoring". Also, I kinda like, "Ignore-ence is bliss!"

Well the phrase is All Hat, No Cattle. Not cow.

Everyone that ride horses is not no Cowboy either. :FlagAm:

Heyya Allie Mo!

Got them and yeap, that's the one.

I do think that if someone is not a SASS member, they should have all the rights as anyone when it comes to posting publicly. If they "Troll" or "Stir the Pot", then the moderators take swift action. However, the moderators can't monitor the PM's.

Frankly, I don't need someone that isn't even a SASS member...or hinds the fact that he/she is, to be able to privately "Troll" and "Stir the Pot". Trolling and Stirring the Pot via PM's should be left to only SASS members!

+1

When my father was alive he would often tell my brother and I "If you won't stand behind what ya say, what ya say don't stand"

unfortunately some use the internet to hide behind and still expect others to actually listen and respect what they say, or worse yet to vent insult and abuse another.

Phantom, one of the things I like about your wire personality is you will say something and are right there to stand behind it.

I says keep the Wire open to those who want to learn, comment and analyze our sport. Keep the PM's to those who pay for the privilige.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Well the phrase is All Hat, No Cattle. Not cow.

Everyone that ride horses is not no Cowboy either. :FlagAm:

No worries AA, he just thinks it all about him. But the funny thing is that he also PM'd me and then Blocked me.

Now I don't mind...didn't say squat about that 'cause he's a SASS member and can do what he wants on this SASS forum.

But I sure wish he'd simply just shut up about the fact that he don't like me and put me on his ignore & block list...like...who cares?!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Cheers!

Phantom

PS: It's true, I have no cow.

Archived