SASS Wire Forum

Mule Camp Cancelled.......Wow !

Johnny The Kid , SASS 22917

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy Crap!

That about sums it up Tuco...Thanks for everything Mule Camp Cowboy's...God Bless, and thank you.

I can't wait for the new improved Mule Camp. See ya there :blush:

Click-Bang

Well if that is the end, lets move on. My thanks also go out to all who put on the Mule Camp match !! Now lets all get excited over the new Southeast Regional!! Where will it be? What Club gets to host it? Will you be able to say you went to the first match they put on? Wow, this could be GREAT!! Dont worry why, it ended, EVERY THING happens for a reason!! Accept it and move on!! Have a positive attitude and lots of support for the future Southeast Regional!!

Well if that is the end, lets move on. My thanks also go out to all who put on the Mule Camp match !! Now lets all get excited over the new Southeast Regional!! Where will it be? What Club gets to host it? Will you be able to say you went to the first match they put on? Wow, this could be GREAT!! Dont worry why, it ended, EVERY THING happens for a reason!! Accept it and move on!! Have a positive attitude and lots of support for the future Southeast Regional!!

That's a good answer. Like losing an old friend, we pause to reflect but move on. It would be kinda good to know if there was anything that happened that could serve as a cautionary tale for others though. But we ain't dead yet, so let's look to the next SE regional and see how we can make IT a success as well.

shhhhheeeeeeshhhh.... proof again that "maybe I can make it next year" isn't much of a strategy....bummer for sure. I've been thinkin' about how much fun it might be 'sometime- mebbe next year'

Hate to see this. Mule Camp was one of the reasons I was looking at moving south again. It was my first big match, and I really respected the work that was done by the organizers.

Doc

Well, just damn. I've been going to Mulecamp since 2000, and competing (I say competing, actually I just showed up and looked good while I sprayed lead in a slow and inaccurate manner) since 2002. A huge disappointment. This to must pass. I think Kill-em All Kate may have the right idea. Time to celebrate a new begining.

Looks like my first trip to Mule Camp, last year, was also my last. It was the first Regional I'd ever been to and had the pleasure of shooting with a lot of really good shooters. If you'd like to see some pictures of the "Last Mule Camp" check out the link to my blog, I have several slide shows.

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/search...p;max-results=6

Thanks to all the folks who made it a great shoot.

Randy

Who decides where it goes? Is there a process in place by which clubs are selected from, or is it arbitrary? How could a decision have been hinted at this quickly

That decision is totally up to the WB. State Matches are voted on by the TGs, but Regional locations are selected by the WB.

Snakebite

101 Inez and I missed the #1 Mule Camp. Folks spoke so well of it that we made it down for the next 13. We have NEVER been treated so well by so many people. Truly, Southern hospitality was always at it's best. The original Magnificent 7 did a great job. Gentleman James, Joe West and Gorgeous Georgine are great friends today, Just Bill, Coyote Calhoon, San Quinton, Moon, Cherokee Charlie, Robin T Banks, Snellville Kid, Kid Concho, Isom Dart, Fergie (one the finest people I ever met and a fine gunsmith) and the Indian, Coffee, Parker, Gus Odem and son, Reverend Stub and his Sweet Fannie, Moby and Scooter, Brock and Brandy, and oh, so many more worked their butts off so that the game could grow new catagories and new ways of doing things. Mule Camp introduced the concept of the Black Powder Regional which pleased so many for so long. Great vendors and sponsors came to offer us their services and goods.

Whenever possible, more was added to expand the program. And, maybe most importantly they knew how to raise money for the SASS Scholarship. Rod and Vickie Kibler as auctioneers sure brought in the cash.

I always enjoyed the entertainers, Joe Bowman and companion Betty, Bill Oglesby. Army Shooting Team, musicians and more.

To all of our friends in the South - 101 Inez and I will miss you at Mule Camp. When the Southeast Regional settles down and lands in a stable spot, we will do our best to come to play. After all, it was there where we really learned how to have fun playing like children

Do not let the spirit of this shoot die. Bring it back like the phoenix from the ashes. It will take a huge amount of committment, buckets full of money and a large, motivated staff to work for free. But it can be done.

Thanks to those who came to work Mule Camp what it was and let's pray for those who try to bring the Southeast Regional back to life. I wish you God's speed.

Birdshot & 101 Inez

I'm with Kate on this one. Mule Camp in Georgia is gone but the SE Regional somewhere is else is just around the corner. I'm already looking forward to a change of scenery. The one thing about SASS folks is they are dedicated to their friends and their game and whatever State gets the match I'm sure it will be amazing. That's just the way SASS is! Incredible volunteers!

Thanks to those who ran Mule Camp over the years for all of your hard work. You gave a lot of people many fine memories.

Like so very many, I was saddened to hear about the cancellation of that historic match. I have many wonderful memories from the time I spent there each year and have met hundreds if not thousands of some of the greatest people on Earth at those matches.

However, I have great faith in those at the Mule Camp front lines knowing they ultimately made the best choice possible for whatever set of circumstances led to them to that difficult decision. I'm sure, although a sad day for us all, those who know them as I do share my faith in them.

That same faith also leads me to know beyond doubt Coyote Calhoun and the WB will very soon select a most suitable location for the follow-on to Mule Camp and our SE Regional will continue...you just can't keep the good people of SASS down.

Finally, let me send a huge salute of appreciation to Coyote and his pioneer crew, who got the whole Mule Camp experience started many years ago and to San Quinton and his superb gang for picking up the challenge and taking it well forward.

It was always a true labor of love and my personal privilege to write the Mule Camp article for the past 5 years. The writing of such a report is always very easy when the words write themselves in describing such stellar efforts and hard work of the people on the Mule Camp Committee.

Every one of those fine human beings was a true joy and a real honor for me to have known. I will miss them greatly. They always treated me and everyone with the greatest respect and kindness. What I found most admirable was the way they did what they did for us out of pure love of the game. Their greatest and only reward was the smiles they were able to put on our faces—a true example of the Cowboy Way.

My sincerest thanks once again to the entire Mule Camp gang.

Soldier on my friends.

:blush:

Hard to believe, but I guess all good things must end as they say. Too Short and I particiapated in the second Mule Camp and came back for two more years after. I'll never forget our first day, it was so cool to see that many cowboys and cowgirls in one spot. Gee, the most our club had ever had was 20, and that was on a good day. Here were over 300. We have the group photo of that day hanging on our wall. We met some really great folks, Snellville Kid, Cherokee Charlie, and many more.

I hope where ever the Southeast Region takes place, the spirit of Mule Camp follows.

Mule Camp is the only major event I was able to attend. I don't have the luxury of traveling, because of Catherine's medical condition.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. My sincere thanks to all who put on the match, it was a hoot. Hope to see y'all soon.

shhhhheeeeeeshhhh.... proof again that "maybe I can make it next year" isn't much of a strategy....bummer for sure. I've been thinkin' about how much fun it might be 'sometime- mebbe next year'

LOL......I said that fer' year after year.....but I made it out there last year so I guess I made the farewell shoot. Anyway, it is certain I'll be at the First Southeast Regional Match wherever that is. :blush:

Same here.

Doubley sucks.

Add me and my pard Briscoe Callaghan to this group that were planning to go for the first time - We were making plans to attend this years event. We will be watching for the new venue and in the mean time will be looking for another spring event to head to!

We will be watching for the new venue and in the mean time will be looking for another spring event to head to!

Colt, don't be too quick to pick another event.

Unfortunately the match has come to an end but the SASS SOUTHEASTERN REGIONAL WILL CONTINUE ON. I have already contacted a couple of clubs that may be a good fit.

I don't read this to say that there will not be a SASS Southeastern Regional in 2010. Possibly not, but until it is decided WHERE, it cannot be said WHEN the 15th Southeastern Regional will be.

Sorry to see it happen.

A lot of folks were sorry to see the Susquehanna Roundup SASS North EAST Regional go away but the MASON DIXON STAMPEDE was born from it. I have to go with Kate on this one The SOUTH EAST REGIONAL will rise again.

If you are looking for a Match on Memorial Day week end Pennsylvania State NORTH MOUNTAIN SHOOTOUT is on that weekend and it has been air-conditioned since I have been going I think 7 years now it gets clear up to 75 degrees during the day.

Thanks to all the Cowboys that put in a lot of VERY HARD work to make Mule Camp all these years. Love the innovation that came out of that match. I got the shoot it a the old location once and enjoyed heck out of it.

Bull

Sorry to see it happen.

A lot of folks were sorry to see the Susquehanna Roundup SASS North EAST Regional go away but the MASON DIXON STAMPEDE was born from it. I have to go with Kate on this one The SOUTH EAST REGIONAL will rise again.

If you are looking for a Match on Memorial Day week end Pennsylvania State NORTH MOUNTAIN SHOOTOUT is on that weekend and it has been air-conditioned since I have been going I think 7 years now it gets clear up to 75 degrees during the day.

Thanks to all the Cowboys that put in a lot of VERY HARD work to make Mule Camp all these years. Love the innovation that came out of that match. I got the shoot it a the old location once and enjoyed heck out of it.

Bull

Inquiring minds wanna know........................ What happened that the most popular shoot short of EOT and WR is no longer??????????? :blush:

Respectfully,

CBA :blush:

I don't read this to say that there will not be a SASS Southeastern Regional in 2010. Possibly not, but until it is decided WHERE, it cannot be said WHEN the 15th Southeastern Regional will be.

dont listen to 0bomba

bring it to VEGAS..................baby!

The name Mule Camp will not move to the new location. What a loss. I shot my first MC at Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville GA.

BS

Archived