SASS Wire Forum

Any "Out of the box" shooters?

Knarley Bob

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
I like to think of myself as a Competitive funner, or maybe a Funny competitor!!

I can relate to that since the only person that I compete against is me!

And both of us are having nothing but fun doing it! :blush:

Ya know what's funny...the "Competitives" seem to understand why and how the "Funners" have fun...but the "Funners" just don't see how the "Competitives" have fun...wonder why.

Oh, wait...could it be that the "Competitives" are being both Competitive and having Fun while the "Funners" are just having Fun?

Hmmmmm....

:blush:

OK, I'll bite.

Why do you think that's so?

Heck Phantom, I understand way too well because I used to be the same way.

There was a time when I was like most people consumed with competition. I was a very serious, high anxiety, super competitive, grumpy, sour, win at all cost, never satisfied with where I was, don't tell me anything, I can't come in second sort of person.

I don't remember having a lot of fun those day because I was too serious.

:D

I think you're making assumptions about these competitors.

Logic 1: If they don't win and as a result are miserable, they wouldn't come back...unless they're masochists.

Logic 2: If they are winning all the time, they are never unhappy. I'll add here, if they're winning all the time, they're keeping their shooting confined to a small area. If they get out to other matches, getting beaten will occur more frequently and they'll get used to it. :blush:

I just took at look at EOT results for 2009. Of the 37 shooters on the first page, I have shot with roughly two-thirds of them at some time and of that group, all but two since EOT. There was only one winner, Badlands Bud, yet every one of the others who I know seemed to be perfectly happy when I saw them. While I have witnessed one of the group actually win a match or two (I've also seen the same shooter not win many more), I have yet to see anyone bummed out and unhappy when they fail to win. In fact, there is rarely any discussion of the match other than to congratulate the winner and to talk about how enjoyable (I'm avoiding the word fun) was.

This experience, along with others, leaves me asking, where are these people who are miserable if they don't win? The only logical thought I can come up with is they are found only where they can be a big duck in a small puddle.

I have yet to meet Badlands Bud and perhaps he has not been beaten in recent times, but I would venture to guess based upon what I have seen of this young man here on the Wire, were it to occur, you would find him first in line to congratulate the winner.

I know many shooters who might be considered big ducks and have found they are like the rest of the ducks playing this game. Win or lose, they have big smiles, big handshakes, big hearts and are quick to offer a big helping hand. That's saying a lot considering how hard it is for a duck to smile...and feathers do nothing for a handshake. :D

I did encounter a crybaby once...who whined because a legitimate miss was called as a miss. This makes me think of an old Osmond Brothers song,

don't spoil the hole bunch girl!

Speaking of bad apples, Buck, you are too kind. You have went way around the bush to define in sweet words, "Co-Dependency Disorder" Been there done that.........

Definition Of Codependency: Codependency is a condition that results in a dysfunctional relationship between the codependent and other people. A codependent is addicted to helping someone. They need to be needed. This addiction is sometimes so strong, the codependent will cause the other person to continue to be needy. This behavior is called enabling. The enabler will purposefully overlook someone abusing a child, will call in sick for someone suffering from addiction, will put roadblocks to prevent their child from becoming independent, or even keep a sick family member from getting the treatment that would make them well. These are behaviors common to codependents. A codependent often suffers from a 'Messiah Complex' where he sees problems with everyone and sees himself as the only person who can help. Here is where I need to work...trying to be 'Mr. Fixit' for everyone...even those who don't feel they need anything fixed.

We had to slick up my Ruger OMVs to get them as nice as my wife's out of box untouched NVMs.

The Uberti's, Marlin, Chinchester, and Stoeger all really benefited from a gunsmith's attention. They're faster, and especially funner.

Restless Rose and I joined SASS in 1997 and have been shooting at least 2 local shoots each month along with Hell on Wheels, Landrun, and the NTR annual shoot every year since then. Our firearms consist of 2 ASM '61 Navy Richards conversions, 2 ASM '60 Army Richards conversions, 4 ASM Hartford Models, 4 Old Model Vaqueros, 2 Cimmaron (Uberti) Schofields, 2 '95 Nagants, 4 Pietta '58 Remingtons (2 with R&D conversion cylinders), 2 Uberti '51 Navy's, 4 Rossi coach guns, 2 '94 Marlins, 1 Navy Arms (Uberti) '60 Henry, 1 Navy Arms (Uberti) '73 and 2 '94 Winchesters that we use for main match firearms. All are out of the box except for sights being regulated for the loads we use. No unexpected problems with any of them. Take care.

Cocking/shooting a stock gun is like driving a steel fence post with a sledge hammer; possible but why not take the tractor bucket and just push it in? I'm not lazy, I'm old and learned to work/play smart.

I don't think there is any awards in SASS for shooting a stock gun? Did I miss someting?

OK, I'll bite.

Why do you think that's so?

Heck Phantom, I understand way too well because I used to be the same way.

There was a time when I was like most people consumed with competition. I was a very serious, high anxiety, super competitive, grumpy, sour, win at all cost, never satisfied with where I was, don't tell me anything, I can't come in second sort of person.

I don't remember having a lot of fun those day because I was too serious.

Hello there Paniolo Cowboy!

I agree with Phantom, about what he stated.

I do not agree with your image of yourself as compared to Me or (Maybe even Phantom, let him speak for himself or the shooters that I consider competitive, and some are competitive in their own ways!) :)

A couple of points of difference -

I am a serious shooter - hey Pard , we are using real ammo! Pay attention, focus. - We still have fun, we are just focused on the stage at hand.

High anxiety - heck no! Sounds like someone taking too many pills.

super competitive - not sure what that means - I am competitive. I desire to achieve certain goals with my shooting, while having a great conversation with the other shooters. Still having fun.

grumpy, sour, - This does not reflect any of the shooters that I have shot with. Competitive or not. We do not bring that to the range.

Win at all cost - No way! What cost are you speaking of?

Never satisfied with where I was - There are some stages that I shot, came off as unhappy with the results, hey... thats the itch ya gotta scratch! :o Hopefully you continue to evolve as a shooter. Continue to search for that safer, faster, technique to help you to achieve a positive result. one example would be, maybe just doing a better job of loading the shotgun and unloading it quicker and safer. That takes practice, willful practice, that you, yourself would like to see improvement in. The end result is knowing, after a stage run, you achieved that one little goal. Trust me on this.....You come off that stage, smiling! :P

Don't tell me anything - Not from where I come from. Most every shooter that desires to improve, needs feedback from observations of other shooters. Some input come from folks you least think it would come from. And it may not have anything to do with handling firearms!

I can't come in second - Friend, your shooting from within. Inside, I always come in first! :D Do I see it, when I have a bit of struggle on a stage run. Sure, not always pleased with that, but it is how I handle that struggle, during that particular stage run that I strive to reduce the damage time. When I reduce that damage control to the best I can do, Man I gotta say,... and usually the timer and those watching, will tell ya....Great recovery! :D Sweet stuff! :D

I guess, all I am saying is your description does not float where I have shot or where I continue to shoot. And we are competitive and we enjoy it.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Good post Dee.

And I have to agree.

I don't know where he is shooting that he sees all of this. I sure don't see it around here.

And I shoot with many World Champs. They seem to be the ones joking around more than any of the others.

I just don't get what he is saying. Because that is just not what I am seeing.

I've purchased more than one used revolver with an "action job", and restored the trigger pull and hammer springs to factory parameters cuz I could barely discern any pressure on the trigger before the hammer would drop, and oftentimes the hammer wouldn't fall with enough force to reliably make a bang. A used revolver advertised with an "action job" is cause for concern to me and definitely NOT a good selling point.

Some of my rifles I've smoothed up and lightened the hammer springs for easier levering, but, again, I've also had to replace the mainsprings on a couple used ones that were too light for reliable ignition. I think Whisper piano wire springs are a great investment for an 1860/1866/1873 simply due to the greatly reduced wear on bearing surfaces.

I think all I've ever done is hone/polish the chambers on my shotguns - SxS's, of course.

Hello there Paniolo Cowboy!

I agree with Phantom, about what he stated.

I do not agree with your image of yourself as compared to Me or (Maybe even Phantom, let him speak for himself or the shooters that I consider competitive, and some are competitive in their own ways!) :D

A couple of points of difference -

I am a serious shooter - hey Pard , we are using real ammo! Pay attention, focus. - We still have fun, we are just focused on the stage at hand.

High anxiety - heck no! Sounds like someone taking too many pills.

super competitive - not sure what that means - I am competitive. I desire to achieve certain goals with my shooting, while having a great conversation with the other shooters. Still having fun.

grumpy, sour, - This does not reflect any of the shooters that I have shot with. Competitive or not. We do not bring that to the range.

Win at all cost - No way! What cost are you speaking of?

Never satisfied with where I was - There are some stages that I shot, came off as unhappy with the results, hey... thats the itch ya gotta scratch! :) Hopefully you continue to evolve as a shooter. Continue to search for that safer, faster, technique to help you to achieve a positive result. one example would be, maybe just doing a better job of loading the shotgun and unloading it quicker and safer. That takes practice, willful practice, that you, yourself would like to see improvement in. The end result is knowing, after a stage run, you achieved that one little goal. Trust me on this.....You come off that stage, smiling! :o

Don't tell me anything - Not from where I come from. Most every shooter that desires to improve, needs feedback from observations of other shooters. Some input come from folks you least think it would come from. And it may not have anything to do with handling firearms!

I can't come in second - Friend, your shooting from within. Inside, I always come in first! :P Do I see it, when I have a bit of struggle on a stage run. Sure, not always pleased with that, but it is how I handle that struggle, during that particular stage run that I strive to reduce the damage time. When I reduce that damage control to the best I can do, Man I gotta say,... and usually the timer and those watching, will tell ya....Great recovery! :blush: Sweet stuff! :D

I guess, all I am saying is your description does not float where I have shot or where I continue to shoot. And we are competitive and we enjoy it.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Howdy Dee,

Thanks for your input. But Pard, I was not referring to Cowboy Action Shooting when I was talking about how things "were" when I was considered an extremely competitive individual by others.

Like I said, there was a time when I was like most people consumed with competition. I was very serious, and took winning with high anxiety in some cases because I was absorbed with winning or placing high. I can tell you that I wasn't alone, others did as well.

What I was trying to say is that I understand how any sort of competition "can" bring out the worse in some people. I was talking about myself many years ago. even as far as being grumpy, or sour, unfriendly toward others, I was talking about how I was described by others when I took "competition" too serious.

But please understand, yes I have met some people in SASS who remind me of the way I was.

I have not met many shooters who fill that bill, but I have met a few since joining SASS. These were the same people who came off with an attitude like they were there to win at any cost, that they were never satisfied with their shooting, and they seem to have a "don't tell me anything, I can't come in second" attitude.

I said I didn't remember having a lot of fun those day because everything was way too serious when I was so competitive. Like the joke goes, "Winning wasn't a matter or life and death, it's more important than that."

And Pard, I'm real sorry to say this but I have met a few people who fit that bill and seem not to be having very much fun at different ranges.

I

Howdy Dee,

Thanks for your input. But Pard, I was not referring to Cowboy Action Shooting when I was talking about how things "were" when I was considered an extremely competitive individual by others.

Like I said, there was a time when I was like most people consumed with competition. I was very serious, and took winning with high anxiety in some cases because I was absorbed with winning or placing high. I can tell you that I wasn't alone, others did as well.

What I was trying to say is that I understand how any sort of competition "can" bring out the worse in some people. I was talking about myself many years ago. even as far as being grumpy, or sour, unfriendly toward others, I was talking about how I was described by others when I took "competition" too serious.

But please understand, yes I have met some people in SASS who remind me of the way I was.

I have not met many shooters who fill that bill, but I have met a few since joining SASS. These were the same people who came off with an attitude like they were there to win at any cost, that they were never satisfied with their shooting, and they seem to have a "don't tell me anything, I can't come in second" attitude.

I said I didn't remember having a lot of fun those day because everything was way too serious when I was so competitive. Like the joke goes, "Winning wasn't a matter or life and death, it's more important than that."

And Pard, I'm real sorry to say this but I have met a few people who fit that bill and seem not to be having very much fun at different ranges.

I

The people that you say are not having fun because they are too serious about winning are probably people that just don't have fun period.

Why do I say this? Because I've seen folks at all levels of this game that don't seem to have fun. Guess what?! They ain't "FUN" people...that's life!

Quite trying to tie a FUN FACTOR to the level of competitiveness that folks wish to participate at...cause either a person is a FUN person or he/she's not.

Phantom

I shoot only out-of-the-box guns because I can't see the need for anything else. As they come, they are faster than I am, so why spend money to make them even faster? If I ever catch up with my equipment, then improving the equipment may be needed.

I shoot only out-of-the-box guns because I can't see the need for anything else. As they come, they are faster than I am, so why spend money to make them even faster? If I ever catch up with my equipment, then improving the equipment may be needed.

Now Buckwheat, it doesn't have to be a matter of shooting faster. I could simply be a matter of shooting more comfortably and reliably. Not all 'smithing' is done to make folks shoot faster ya know.

Phantom

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

Paniolo Cowboy,

There are ALWAYS a few people, in any game or sport, who simply don't have fun. They are the gumps!!!!

I shoot with some of the best and virtually all of them have fun, laugh a lot during a shoot, and don't get crazy when the don't do as well as they would like.

Heck, I don't always shoot as well as I would like.

I was a competitive shooter up until the last year or two and had just as much fun as I am having how; I just can't attend as many matches and keep my hand/eye stuff going as well as I used to.

How competitive was I you ask? Multiple times winning in multiple state and regional shoots, I answer.

So, to sum it up, I was a competitive shooter who practised, had his guns slicked up, when I could finally afford it, and am not now so competitive because of things a bit out of my control. I HAD JUST AS MUCH FUN SHOOTING BEFORE AS I DO NOW.

You are correct when you say "Winning isn't everything" if you leave it at that.

If you want to shoot guns "out of the box" have at it and HAVE FUN!

If you want to slick up your guns, have at it and HAVE FUN.

ONCE MORE, I WAS COMPETITIVE AND HAD LOTS OF FUN AND NOW AM NOT SO COMPETITIVE AND STILL HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the box guns should LOAD, Go BANG, and EJECT reliably. Many do not.

in whos hands

or at what speed

when I shot (two different) brand new marlins in 38 / 357

I would send them back to the marlin factory when they did not perform what you state above

two different rifles, for about two round trips each

before I sent them to Jim Bowie

The Marlin factory always responded

"this rifle is within factory specs and works fine with our testing"

not all guns perform at competition speeds out of the box, and (within factory standards)

Ya know what's funny...the "Competitives" seem to understand why and how the "Funners" have fun...but the "Funners" just don't see how the "Competitives" have fun...wonder why.

Oh, wait...could it be that the "Competitives" are being both Competitive and having Fun while the "Funners" are just having Fun?

Hmmmmm....

:blush: maybe it's just a built in excuse for not being competitive ? "I'm just here for fun" ,just about everybody I know wants to do well ,whether its overall,catergory or just doing better personally than they did at thier last shoot.

For me being competitive is fun,

the term "race ready" to me is a little gimmicky,there race ready in the right hands,but I would recomend to those who are gettin started to buy the guns from the different gunsmith's and then they wont be fighten guns,they can just enjoy themselves.you could say you have the right equipment now all it takes is dedication to gettin better,no excuses.

I help out a little with new shooters or with folks that want to improve and sometimes I shoot thier guns and some of them to me would not be very "fun" to shoot no matter what level you are let alone being competitive.

AO

The people that you say are not having fun because they are too serious about winning are probably people that just don't have fun period.

Why do I say this? Because I've seen folks at all levels of this game that don't seem to have fun. Guess what?! They ain't "FUN" people...that's life!

Quite trying to tie a FUN FACTOR to the level of competitiveness that folks wish to participate at...cause either a person is a FUN person or he/she's not.

Phantom

Phantom,

I honestly think you are absolutely right, and it just depends on the person.

I really shouldn't have tried to pidgeon hole people. Fact is is that it's like you said it's "probably people that just don't have fun period."

Semper Fi Pard!

I can't imagine anyone at SASS that wasn't having fun unless it was a child or spouse enabling the shooter.

I do see indications some folks quit................

Phantom,

I honestly think you are absolutely right, and it just depends on the person.

I really shouldn't have tried to pidgeon hole people. Fact is is that it's like you said it's "probably people that just don't have fun period."

Semper Fi Pard!

Yeah...pidgeon holin can be bad :D

Phantom

PS: Happy B-Day!

Phantom

You don't see these people near the top of the game at a match of any size. People who can't seem to enjoy themselves remain ducklings for life. Quacking loudly only attracts attention to their small...uh,....pond.

You don't see these people near the top of the game at a match of any size. People who can't seem to enjoy themselves remain ducklings for life. Quacking loudly only attracts attention to their small...uh,....pond.

QUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACK

QUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACK

You guys quack me up!!!!

Back to your regularly-scheduled dead horse whacking.... :blush:

Cheers,

~Gamey, slick-gunned, occasionally practicing, lousy, no-good, still-having-the-time-of-his life, FJT...

You guys quack me up!!!!

Back to your regularly-scheduled dead horse whacking.... :blush:

Cheers,

~Gamey, slick-gunned, occasionally practicing, lousy, no-good, still-having-the-time-of-his life, FJT...

You fergot World Champion Duelist!

FJT,,,,,, Don't ferget much .....

Phantom ,,, Ya is still alive but Ya ain't made up North ta Shoot Yet .................

Ya scared of da snow ????

Maybe Ya got spooked .....

Jabez Cowboy :blush:

FJT,,,,,, Don't ferget much .....

Phantom ,,, Ya is still alive but Ya ain't made up North ta Shoot Yet .................

Ya scared of da snow ????

Maybe Ya got spooked .....

Jabez Cowboy :blush:

Nope - I just choose to spend my $$ here in AMERICA!!!!

You're more then welcome to come down to TEXAS...yeah...didn't think so...

Nope - I just choose to spend my $$ here in AMERICA!!!!

I spend a lot of my time and money in our neighbor to the north. Canada is more AMERICAN than a lot of cities in this country, including large parts of Texas that I have seen. My wife and I really look forward to our annual three week vacation there, beautiful country, great people.

Nope - I just choose to spend my $$ here in AMERICA!!!

I spend a lot of my time and money in our neighbor to the north. Canada is more AMERICAN than a lot of cities in this country, including large parts of Texas that I have seen. My wife and I really look forward to our annual three week vacation there, beautiful country, great people.

Hmmm..... if you can have a better time in Canada than in Texas and find more America in Canada than in Texas... well, then, YOU MUST BE A YANKEE! :D

Hmmm..... if you can have a better time in Canada than in Texas and find more America in Canada than in Texas... well, then, YOU MUST BE A YANKEE! :D

As a Reb I’m sure that you know who Henry T Harrison is. You do know don’t you? :blush:

I’m also a Lacy, look that one up!

Actually I’ve been to both Texas and Arizona several times. In a lot of areas I felt like I was very much in a foreign country.

HTH

As a Reb I’m sure that you know who Henry T Harrison is. You do know don’t you? :)

Actually I’ve been to both Texas and Arizona several times. In a lot of areas I felt like I was very much in a foreign country.

HTH

Noooo...you're alias is Henry T Harrison...not you.

So now we're going to discuss what's more American...some small part of Canada...eh?...or some tiny little part of TEXAS...

Whatever... :D

As a Reb I’m sure that you know who Henry T Harrison is. You do know don’t you? :blush:

HTH

I really love Texas and Arizona. In fact, I have met nothing but nice people down there when I was working down there off and on doing Plant Inspection work.

So maybe you can tell me, exactly what part of Texas and Arizona was that you felt like you "was very much in a foreign country"?

Really what parts would that be?

And btw, who is Henry T Harrison? Was he someone special?

Phantom gives a straight up answer to a couple questions that was directed right to him, and the Wire gets 10 more post concerning his answer. Ya gotta love it.

Anyhow, I'm like him. I don't go to alot of places because I'm wanting my money to stay here. I don't buy alot of 'stuff' because its not made in America.

I stay HERE and I 'try' to keep my money HERE, in the good ole USA. Shucks, I might even try to spend some of it in Texas one of these days.

Now to be honest, I don't know who Henry T Harrison might be that your referring too but locally, I think Henry T Harrison owns the local chicken slaughter house (Harrison's Poultry) in Knoxville, Tn.

Best regards

..........Widder

I really love Texas and Arizona. In fact, I have met nothing but nice people down there when I was working down there off and on doing Plant Inspection work.

So maybe you can tell me, exactly what part of Texas and Arizona was that you felt like you "was very much in a foreign country"?

Really what parts would that be?

And btw, who is Henry T Harrison? Was he someone special?

When I’m in Texas and try to check into a hotel operated by a major chain and can't because no one at the front desk spoke English then I feel like I’m no longer in the United States. When I was in Arizona and couldn’t order in McDonalds because no one spoke English then I’m no longer in my country. Parts of Texas were great as was most of northern Arizona but in sections of both I no longer felt like I was in the United States.

As far as I’m concerned I try to buy American whenever possible, 98%of my guns are made in America, as are all of my cars. I do though consider products made in Canada as being made in America. But that’s just my opinion

And no Phantom I’m not Henry Thomas Harrison that’s just an alias, but I am a Lacy

The Stars and Stripes fly over both of my homes every day as does a Confederate Flag (not the stars and bars)

This is my last post on this topic it's wandered too far off topic and getting to personal. Things said in writing do not necessarily translate well. For that I apologize

HTH

Henry,

I appreciate your honesty, but I have to tell you that that sort of thing where people can't or don't speak English happens just about everywhere these days.

I was in Modesto, California, on one particular day and I couldn't understand the Middle-Easterner behind the counter at the gas station, the Chinese kid taking my order at a Subway, the Philipino checker at Wal-Mart, or the Mexican kid who helped me load my truck at the Feed Store. :blush:

But it wasn't that big a deal since I still speak a little Portugese, Hawaiian, and Japanese, and I have learned to swear in Italian by a friend of mine from an old Italian family in Little Rock, Arkansas. :D

Being originally from Hawaii, I'm actually still most comfortable with Pidgin English. But after many years in the military and living in the mainland, I've learned to speak a sort of "Okie-Pidgin". :o:)

Seriously though it upsets me as much as you, I don't think there's anything folks can do about it. I'm hoping that these days are simular to the way New York City was after all of those folks came through Ellis Island from Europe in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Hopefully two generations from now they will be like most other Americans and lose the ability to speak their parent's language.

That aside, I looked up Henry Thomas Harrison and found that interesting.

But what is this Lacy that you referred to twice?

Archived