SASS Wire Forum

Any "Out of the box" shooters?

Knarley Bob

I think one of the reasons these guns come with way more spring then they need is to overcome that they aren't quite finished too many rough parts.For everything to be smoothed out at factory guns would probaly cost quite a bit more,I prefer somebody I trust to do it.

I have three Uberti rifles that barely functioned out of the box,but now there as slick as butter & great guns.Same thing with my IAC shotgun barely functioned out of box now I would not trade it for anything.

Rugers come with heavier springs than they need probaly to overcome maybe a little roughness & to be sure to set off any primer.To me there smooth enuff to put a spring kit in be done if you want.

Most everybody I know(its alot) has done something to just about everyone of thier guns or is plannin too.

AO

PS as Phantom says "who cares" if you shoot factory guns.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe all manufacturers put out a product that functions adequately or will make it so if a customer returns it. Given the price of today’s replica pistols, manufacturer can’t afford to put the level of hand fitting into a gun that most competitors do at their own expense. Doing so would price the new guns out of the market. Consequently the factories put heavy springs in their handguns to overcome the roughness of internal parts. Under hard use, i.e. competition, those parts will eventually break and/or the gun will get out of time. Action jobs increase the guns longevity because the springs are light and the moving parts create less friction. That’s not to say that every Italian made pistol is in need of a complete rework – every once in a while I get one with a great trigger or is timed perfectly. Those guns are the exception rather than the rule. Although not all of us consider these replicas junk, someone who competes at the Kids level can’t afford not to have them worked over – they just wouldn’t hold up. It’s a case of you get what you pay for. If someone prefers to shoot a match with a box stock Colt clone rather than one that has been tuned – well – let’s just say I’m not one of them.

Semi Conductor

Having conducted many new shooter sessions for our club, I get to see the guns that new shooters have acquired usually with zero or very few rounds through them. I have seen many Rugers and Italian clones fail within the first few rounds. Heck a few years ago I won a new model Vaquero and after three trips to the factory it still wouldn't even dry fire. Finally had to give it to Wes Flowers to just get it to function.

I have seen many rifles fail especially the lower cost alternatives. I hope no one ever purchases another 92 or 92 clone, as they seem to be one of the worst offenders. Now shotguns there are some real factory bummers especially the cheap doubles and hammered doubles. Shotguns that won't open, won't close, won't go bang are typical of the many low cost guns out of the box. From my experience the last couple of years watching these news shooters with new guns, I see a failure rate of probably in excess of 25% within the first few rounds. This does have a detrimental effect on our new shooters. Can you imagine spending the bucks for new guns, new leather only to find that one or more of your new guns won't work at all? Bummer, our gun manufacturers need to do better.

Having conducted many new shooter sessions for our club, I get to see the guns that new shooters have acquired usually with zero or very few rounds through them. I have seen many Rugers and Italian clones fail within the first few rounds. Heck a few years ago I won a new model Vaquero and after three trips to the factory it still wouldn't even dry fire. Finally had to give it to Wes Flowers to just get it to function.

I have seen many rifles fail especially the lower cost alternatives. I hope no one ever purchases another 92 or 92 clone, as they seem to be one of the worst offenders. Now shotguns there are some real factory bummers especially the cheap doubles and hammered doubles. Shotguns that won't open, won't close, won't go bang are typical of the many low cost guns out of the box. From my experience the last couple of years watching these news shooters with new guns, I see a failure rate of probably in excess of 25% within the first few rounds. This does have a detrimental effect on our new shooters. Can you imagine spending the bucks for new guns, new leather only to find that one or more of your new guns won't work at all? Bummer, our gun manufacturers need to do better.

Glad ALL my firearms have worked since day one...in stock form. The only problem with the Ruger Vaquero I had was a broken transfer bar - but this was after about 8 years of shooting. My Marlin '94 gave me only a hiccup one time..and that was my fault because after years of shooting BP in it, the inerds were gunked up. So - guess I have been one of the lucky few :lol:

GG ~ :rolleyes:

All my guns are stock, as received, factory assembled firearms. The only slickin up they got is when I clean um, oil um, grease um up a touch, then shoot the day lights out of them. My 357 model 92 stumbles some with 38 specials, so I just load the 357 cases with a 38 special charge. My 45 colt model 92 catches now and then, but it hasn't had more then 800-900 rounds through it yet, so I'm still breaking her in.

So I might not be the fastest gun slinger on the line, but fast enough to keep the top dogs worried. I puts um where I points um.

SD

I have shot everything out of the box, so to speak. My 92 was used and had some work already done, but I’d have bought it anyway even if it hadn’t, and used it as such. I already had a 97 shotgun but had to break it in on CAS shoots. My pistols are NMVs which worked great right out of the box.

At my first few shoots, I was utterly baffled at how everyone thought EVERY gun ever made needed an action job! I bought a used 92 that had the work already done and people made comments on how it needed an action job the first time they saw it in the cart without even seeing me actually working it!

Most hobbies are all about the changes. Somehow people like to look down their nose at people who pull something out of the box and go with it without changing it somehow. EVERY pastime I’ve ever been into has this mentality. I’ve had plenty of people comment on my pistols, thinking they had work done to them, and all I ever did was swap grips on them!

My 97 is an old original, with the barrel sawed off to 18 1/4", but is otherwise stock.

My TTN double 12 is stock.

My Cimarron Lightning rifle in 45 is stock.

My Rugers have spring kits.

My 73 has the stock whacked off short and a short stroke kit in it. It was the first 73 I could find for a decent price, and one that I could actually run the lever with. I have trouble throwing the stock lever all the way forward for some reason, so this one worked great for me.

None of my cap and ball pistols are slicked up, other than 2 Remingtons with Treso nipples.

DM

I suppose it depends on how you define "out of the box." There's nothing done to my guns that wasn't done before 1900 -- no short-strokes, coil springs, etc. The internals have been polished, and I've either put a leather pad under the mainspring or purchased Wolf springs for my revolvers -- but these are "period correct" modifications. I used an Uberti 1873 just as it came out of the box for a long time, but now it has a tang sight.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
I suppose it depends on how you define "out of the box." There's nothing done to my guns that wasn't done before 1900 -- no short-strokes, coil springs, etc. The internals have been polished, and I've either put a leather pad under the mainspring or purchased Wolf springs for my revolvers -- but these are "period correct" modifications. I used an Uberti 1873 just as it came out of the box for a long time, but now it has a tang sight.

Oddnews,

I'm kind of shocked that you've had all of that work done to your guns. I assumed that since you've been pushing for a "Stock Gun" Category that you would be shooting stock right out of the box guns.

When I think of "Out of the Box", I think of them being in the "sold condition" from the manufacturer as pure as can be ready to shoot. That's the way my guns were and still are. They are just as they came from the Ruger factory.

They shoot just as "reliable" from the manufacturer as ASME Codes and Standards will allow with no one tinkering with them.

As a side note, I'm actually a little surprised that there are any Gun Manufacturers who would still hold to the Firearm's Warranty after someone has screwed around with it. I believe most Product Liability Laws would void a warranty if the product has been modified, changed, altered, or had other than factory recommended parts used in it.

"From my experience the last couple of years watching these news shooters with new guns, I see a failure rate of probably in excess of 25% within the first few rounds."

In my experience if that is the true failure rate of the American firearms that you have dealt with, then I'm surprised that those gun manufacturers can stay in businesses at all. To have a "Quarter" of your product fail to preform would mean that that manufacturer's practices, design, and engineering absolutely do not meet any of the ASME Codes and Standards.

You should post a list on here to inform us of exactlty which American Gun Makers you're talking about. Since that has happened to you, and a 25% failure rate is extremely high, then you should tell us so that we can stay away from those Manufacturers. I myself would never buy a gun from any Company that does not put Quality Control or Quality Assurance into their product.

... OK, I just got off the phone with the people at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

The individual who I spoke with said that he believed that their "returns" due to mechanical problems is under 1% of their products sold. He said of those "returns" there is a high percentage where nothing wrong can be found with the product being returned. He went on to say that "operator error" is a huge problem with many firearms. And in reference to their "return rate", he said, "We would be out of business with anything higher than that."

My NRV came from the factory with about 1 1/4 oz. of finely "Blued" metal filings in the action , cleaned the bore and cylinder and took her to a cowboy match fired 3 shots on the Pratice range at the shoot locked up tighter than a drum .... Got it open and empty and back to my camp , took her apart and flushed all the parts in my solvent tank with a magnet on the bottom under a plastic screen in the tank bottom .... So ,,,, even the best manufactures can have something go wrong , if I hadn't been in such a rush to get to the shoot and shoot my new toy .................

I find it rather sad that offten guns that are New are expected to need work to function right , this should not be the case !!!

A Smith should not be needed just to make a gun function, guns should be able to carry out the task they are designed for in Stock form ...

If you like better than functional/slick guns then expect to pay a knowledgeable Smith to make it so ....

I find myself shooting "Stock Guns" my "Uberti Cattlemen" were and are Stock ,but I hand picked both guns for the best function from amongst several other guns ... My 66 was the one that felt and cycled best from a group of 4 .... My "Marlin" is a "Cowboy Comp" and seems to function OK ,,,, My Legeacy 92 could use some Slicking Up ..... When I find the time to turn my hand to them as the Guns that pay the bills need the first attention ...

Jabez Cowboy

So how many shooters are out there who shoot "Out of the box" guns? Wronggun and I both do.

I can't help but find a bit of humor in the alias Wronggun when associated with this thread. :blush:

Here’s what my lady, Sugah, shoots:

Rifle - 1866 Trapper - 16" barrel, short stock, light and easy to handle, the biggest Grabber front bead made with a flat-top rear sight, leather wrapped lever by Buck D. Law, short stroked by Cody Conagher. Oh, and she has one of those little loading tubes...'cause manicures aren't cheap...and she likes it.

Shotgun - 1897 Winchester - stock cut to fit HER - tuned by Coyote Cap. Shotgun shells loaded special...by me. Every box has a label that says, Sugah Shots. She likes it that way.

Pistols - I gave her the choice of Vaqueros, Single Sixes and Blackhawks, she chose the Blackhawks 'cause she likes the sights. Lighter springs installed because manicures aren't cheap…and she likes them that way.

I do everything I can to spoil her rotten. Wrong guns? Oh no, right guns.

As for me:

Rifle - 1873 Border Deluxe - 18.5" barrel - flat-top rear sight with a front bead from T.G. Reaper and short stroked by Cody Conagher.

Shotgun - 1897 Winchester tuned by T.G. Reaper.

Pistols - Vaqueros tuned by Huckleberry. Brass front sights, opened rear sights, SBH hammers, engraved by Graver Bill (Billy Bates). They shore are purdy!

And regarding this:

People ask if S.A.S.S. is a competitive sport........ I tell them It can be. I tell them you can have as much fun as you want, OR make your self as miserable as you want. It all depends on how you look at it.

Well, Sugah and I attended shoots in 11 different states this past year, most of them being two or three day'ers. That's not even including the 25 or so matches we attended in our home state. At this point, I'd say we're so miserable that shootin' us would be doin' us a favor.

And bless the souls of every single, solitary miserable person at Last Stand in Florida at this very moment. They’re gonna have to shoot side matches tomorrow and it's only gonna get worse Friday when the main match starts. Why, I'm tempted to just load up and head there myself. We all know that misery loves company.

How absurd would it be for me, being the slicked up, short stroked, gun freak that I am, to tell a new shooter or anyone else that they can choose to trick out their guns and have as much fun as you want… or you can make yourself as miserable as you want (by shooting stock guns)?

The fact is the fun comes from shooting what you want to shoot and enjoying the people around you. Anyone who doesn’t believe this is not shooting enough. They need to get off their dead butt and get out and shoot. If they shoot more often, they will find that everyone is having fun. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be there. We’re all adults. Our parents don’t make us play this game. How hard is this to understand? We’re all having fun. To think otherwise is nothing short of incredibly absurd.

I can't help but find a bit of humor in the alias Wronggun when associated with this thread. :D

Rifle - 1866 Trapper - 16" barrel, short stock, light and easy to handle, the biggest Grabber front bead made with a flat-top rear sight, leather wrapped lever by Buck D. Law, short stroked by Cody Conagher. Oh, and she has one of those little loading tubes...'cause manicures aren't cheap...and she likes it.

Shotgun - 1897 Winchester - stock cut to fit HER - tuned by Coyote Cap. Shotgun shells loaded special...by me. Every box has a label that says, Sugah Shots. She likes it that way.

Pistols - I gave her the choice of Vaqueros, Single Sixes and Blackhawks, she chose the Blackhawks 'cause she likes the sights. Lighter springs installed because manicures aren't cheap…and she likes them that way.

I do everything I can to spoil her rotten. Wrong guns? Oh no, right guns.

As for me:

Rifle - 1873 Border Deluxe - 18.5" barrel - flat-top rear sight with a front bead from T.G. Reaper and short stroked by Cody Conagher.

Shotgun - 1897 Winchester tuned by T.G. Reaper.

Pistols - Vaqueros tuned by Huckleberry. Brass front sights, opened rear sights, SBH hammers, engraved by Graver Bill (Billy Bates). They shore are purdy!

And regarding this:

Well, Sugah and I attended shoots in 11 different states this past year, most of them being two or three day'ers. That's not even including the 25 or so matches we attended in our home state. At this point, I'd say we're so miserable that shootin' us would be doin' us a favor.

And bless the souls of every single, solitary miserable person at Last Stand in Florida at this very moment. They’re gonna have to shoot side matches tomorrow and it's only gonna get worse Friday when the main match starts. Why, I'm tempted to just load up and head there myself. We all know that misery loves company.

How absurd would it be for me, being the slicked up, short stroked, gun freak that I am, to tell a new shooter or anyone else that they can choose to trick out their guns and have as much fun as you want… or you can make yourself as miserable as you want (by shooting stock guns)?

The fact is the fun comes from shooting what you want to shoot and enjoying the people around you. Anyone who doesn’t believe this is not shooting enough. They need to get off their dead butt and get out and shoot. If they shoot more often, they will find that everyone is having fun. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be there. We’re all adults. Our parents don’t make us play this game. How hard is this to understand? We’re all having fun. To think otherwise is nothing short of incredibly absurd.

No, that's NOT what I meant at all.

Some people shoot and have a blast, slicked up or not.

Some people are SO compeditive, that they make them selves miserable by keeping score...slicked up or not. (If they don't win, they don't grin)

I agree, the fun IS in the shooting and comradery. I'm still workin' on a clean match. As far as time goes..... I bring extra batteries for the timer :blush:

Knarley

You know, I just realised that I probably shoot the most modified pistols in S.A.S.S. Except for short stroking, they have had every internal modification you could do, plus the cap guard modification, undercut hammers, shortened barrels, nickled frames, fancy checkering, and modified triggers. :o

I have a pair of Model 3 .44 Russian replicas that with the exception of giraffe bone grips are box stock. I have shot both in matches and had as much fun as anyone has a right to have with either. Those much modified '60 Colt replicas are my match pistols for Frontiersman, the category that I shoot most often. :)

Like I said previously, I like modified machinery. It makes me happy and keeps my mind sharp to find a way to improve the way something works. If what I do doesn't work I double the effort to correct my mistake and find a resolution to the challenge. :D

Gunsmiths have been around since there have been guns. Whether they fix what's broke, correct factory flaws, or custom tailor a gun, good craftsmanship can only improve a good peice of machinery. I feel like if there's room for improvement, why not find and use it? :P

If your gun works perfectly straight out of the box, More power to you. The money you save will buy gas, ammo, or pay entry fees. As good as these old '60s are, they can still be made better. I'll just work another gig into my schedule to pay for what comes next. :blush:

BE SAFE, HAVE FUN!! What other rules do you need? :D

The money you save will buy gas, ammo, or pay entry fees. As good as these old '60s are, they can still be made better.

BE SAFE, HAVE FUN!! What other rules do you need? :blush:

that goes for humans in general too :)

GG ~ :D

Been watching "Cowboys" on The Outdoor Channel, reading posts here and there about" Race Ready" guns.

Been looking at all the rules about which hammer can or cannot go on a certain gun and so forth. I've read that If you want to compete with that pistol set or rifle, heck even the shotguns have their "Slick 'em up" Gurus....... ya gotta get 'em done.

One of our new shooters, noticed that S.A.S.S. seemd to be going full circle to where it started.......IPSIC (Sp?) [i am hard of hearing and thought it was Dipstick but that's another story]

So how many shooters are out there who shoot "Out of the box" guns? Wronggun and I both do.

Knarley

Yep' right out of the box. "Race Ready" was'nt invented in the 1800's. Right ? :blush:

My ruger new vaquero bisley's have had no work done to 'em. I usually shoot Double Duelist, because as one SASS shooter put it, "I figure that's the way the cowboys did." For sure that's the way the B-western hero's did it.

I'm no way close to the top shooters in our club. I thought about removing one side of the hammer return spring on my rugers, but never have. My Win '97 is stock all the way. It has had worn out parts replaced with new, but no gunsmith tuning. It is very old and well broken in from use though.

My '73 is out of the box as well, but it came from the factory with a short stroke kit. Beretta.

On the other hand my wife's Cimerron Evil Roy's came tuned from the factory. She has about 2 lbs trigger pull with a clean break. Hammer is light as well. It is a joy to shoot, easy on her arthritic hands. It doesn't like CCI primers however, too hard for the light hammer spring. It shoots r/p or Federal primers fine. My rugers have never misfired on CCI primers. If and when my hands get so arthritic I can't handle the hammers safely I can remove one side of the hammer spring or have them tuned by a gunsmith.

Shoot what you like is what I say. If you are the competitive type and seriously want to run with the top guns IMHO you need to have your guns tuned. That and hours of dry firing and shooting practice.

All the top guns in our club have tuned guns. Most of the manufactures are going to be putting out factory tuned guns for SASS in the future. The Evil Roy from Cimerron and Smoke Wagon from Taylor are two examples of the future. The Montado style hammer that is now on the SASS new vaquero's is another change for the better and example of the future of factory tuned competition guns.

I will never be a top shooter in SASS. I try to improve my time and to shoot clean and not get a P on any stage. I compete with other shooters that are about my speed. I try to do better than my son-in-law or wife. I always have fun even if I'm dead last with a P along the way. Shooting while dressed up like a cowboy always puts a silly grin on my face.

AND he keeps it shiny for me!

Buck said it all, read and head the advice..............

Some people are SO compeditive, that they make them selves miserable by keeping score...slicked up or not. (If they don't win, they don't grin)

Knarley

Maybe that's YOUR take on it. I push myself as hard as I know how. Dry fire often, shoot real ammo within my budget, dry fire some more, attend all the monthlies my schedule allows, and make as many bigger shoots as I can both with SASS and CFDA. If W3G was around I'm sure I'd do that too.

Maybe I'm too hard on myself, but knowing I'll never be Tiger Woods on a golf course or Badlands Bud on a SASS range doesn't take the fire out of me trying my best to get better. Then there's the reality between doing what I like and doing what I must... got bills to pay and three boys in college. (Well, one left, but still paying for the other two.)

So when I shoot a 27 raw time with a miss and a "P" you're darn tootin' I get upset with me. When I miss a popper it drives me berserk with myself (how can you miss a popper?). When I slip hammer two in a row I just shake my head in wonder. You probably interpret that as having a lousy time. I don't- I'm having a blast and my only competition is the 6" between my ears balanced with only average natural talent.

Why would I add the blatant lack of excellence in a stock gun to the pursuit of excellence on the range? THIS IS A GUNFIGHT! And for the 30 seconds (soon to be 20) that those bad guys are mine they're gonna have to come through a hail of gunfire to beat me.

I win everytime I play. I don't know a single top competitor that doesn't feel the same way even though they may yap about the targets, the counters or whatever. But, there's nothing much more frustrating than having your foot mashed on the accelerator and the gun won't run.

I came home from Comin' At Cha after my best overall performance all year personally and was still in the middle of the pack. My wife asked why I was practicing so soon. I was shocked at the question.

The steel is hardened in the fire by the strike of the hammer.

For you, being in the bottom of the order may be just where you like it. You may THINK that anyone working to frustration is miserable, but I assure you that idea is only in your mind. That shooter working his A$$ off is doing it because they like it that way and they demand the guns they shoot can perform to those standards.

Maybe that's YOUR take on it. I push myself as hard as I know how. Dry fire often, shoot real ammo within my budget, dry fire some more, attend all the monthlies my schedule allows, and make as many bigger shoots as I can both with SASS and CFDA. If W3G was around I'm sure I'd do that too.

Maybe I'm too hard on myself, but knowing I'll never be Tiger Woods on a golf course or Badlands Bud on a SASS range doesn't take the fire out of me trying my best to get better. Then there's the reality between doing what I like and doing what I must... got bills to pay and three boys in college. (Well, one left, but still paying for the other two.)

So when I shoot a 27 raw time with a miss and a "P" you're darn tootin' I get upset with me. When I miss a popper it drives me berserk with myself (how can you miss a popper?). When I slip hammer two in a row I just shake my head in wonder. You probably interpret that as having a lousy time. I don't- I'm having a blast and my only competition is the 6" between my ears balanced with only average natural talent.

Why would I add the blatant lack of excellence in a stock gun to the pursuit of excellence on the range? THIS IS A GUNFIGHT! And for the 30 seconds (soon to be 20) that those bad guys are mine they're gonna have to come through a hail of gunfire to beat me.

I win everytime I play. I don't know a single top competitor that doesn't feel the same way even though they may yap about the targets, the counters or whatever. But, there's nothing much more frustrating than having your foot mashed on the accelerator and the gun won't run.

I came home from Comin' At Cha after my best overall performance all year personally and was still in the middle of the pack. My wife asked why I was practicing so soon. I was shocked at the question.

The steel is hardened in the fire by the strike of the hammer.

For you, being in the bottom of the order may be just where you like it. You may THINK that anyone working to frustration is miserable, but I assure you that idea is only in your mind. That shooter working his A$$ off is doing it because they like it that way and they demand the guns they shoot can perform to those standards.

Ya know what's funny...the "Competitives" seem to understand why and how the "Funners" have fun...but the "Funners" just don't see how the "Competitives" have fun...wonder why.

Oh, wait...could it be that the "Competitives" are being both Competitive and having Fun while the "Funners" are just having Fun?

Hmmmmm....

:blush:

Ya know what's funny...the "Competitives" seem to understand why and how the "Funners" have fun...but the "Funners" just don't see how the "Competitives" have fun...wonder why.

Oh, wait...could it be that the "Competitives" are being both Competitive and having Fun while the "Funners" are just having Fun?

Hmmmmm....

+1

Some of the funnest people I have EVER shoot with, are World Champions, and top shooters in this game. And they have a BLAST while shooting.

I guess some folks just have blinders on and don't see it. Or don't want to.

Knarley

I think you're making assumptions about these competitors.

Logic 1: If they don't win and as a result are miserable, they wouldn't come back...unless they're masochists.

Logic 2: If they are winning all the time, they are never unhappy. I'll add here, if they're winning all the time, they're keeping their shooting confined to a small area. If they get out to other matches, getting beaten will occur more frequently and they'll get used to it. :blush:

I just took at look at EOT results for 2009. Of the 37 shooters on the first page, I have shot with roughly two-thirds of them at some time and of that group, all but two since EOT. There was only one winner, Badlands Bud, yet every one of the others who I know seemed to be perfectly happy when I saw them. While I have witnessed one of the group actually win a match or two (I've also seen the same shooter not win many more), I have yet to see anyone bummed out and unhappy when they fail to win. In fact, there is rarely any discussion of the match other than to congratulate the winner and to talk about how enjoyable (I'm avoiding the word fun) was.

This experience, along with others, leaves me asking, where are these people who are miserable if they don't win? The only logical thought I can come up with is they are found only where they can be a big duck in a small puddle.

I have yet to meet Badlands Bud and perhaps he has not been beaten in recent times, but I would venture to guess based upon what I have seen of this young man here on the Wire, were it to occur, you would find him first in line to congratulate the winner.

I know many shooters who might be considered big ducks and have found they are like the rest of the ducks playing this game. Win or lose, they have big smiles, big handshakes, big hearts and are quick to offer a big helping hand. That's saying a lot considering how hard it is for a duck to smile...and feathers do nothing for a handshake. :D

I did encounter a crybaby once...who whined because a legitimate miss was called as a miss. This makes me think of an old Osmond Brothers song,

don't spoil the hole bunch girl!

I respectfully disagree.

Shame on the Purchaser for not holding the "junk" manufacturer to a higher standard.

I don't understand the mind set of why "we" expected a brand new 2010 car to run but not a CAS gun?

Its actually the exact same. Out of the box guns will shoot just fine. The same as a new car will drive off the lot just fine. However if you want to "race" either they need to get tune ups. A stock car cannot compete against a tuned car with racing parts no matter how good the driver is. Its the same with guns.

Slicking up a gun is done by hand with special parts and would most likely not have a warranty. A high performance gun would also cost a LOT more. Much like how Ferraris and Corvettes cost a lot more than a Chevy Cobalt.

Out of the box guns should LOAD, Go BANG, and EJECT reliably. Many do not.

If they operate rough while doing the above, that's fine and can be fixed/worn in.

I bought a Rossi 92 when I first started. It wouldn't get through a stage without jamming. This is extremely frustrating to a new shooter.

I have a Henry Big Boy that is right out of the box and it keeps up with the best of them.

My Rugers and my Marlin were shot for some time before changing out some parts and polishing others to make them smoother. But they worked fine.

My Stoeger shotgun worked fine out of the box after I cleaned the machine filings out of the innards!

We constantly tell new shooters to look at what others are shooting before they spend their money. We even loan them the guns to shoot and love the looks on their face when they get done. Do they listen..... Usually not.... Such is human nature.

Like a lot of folks I started "out of the box" because i couldn't afford "slciked up guns." My out of the box Ruger NMVs shoot fine. My 92 Hartford needs to visit Nate Kiowa Jones. Both the revolvers and rifle are OK.

On the other hand my stock Baikal double barrel needs to find it's way to the bottom of a lake. Nothing has slowed me down more than that darn shotgun. You can't go fast when you have to use both hands and a foot to hold the breach open during reloads. Well, I have taken steps to solve the shotgun problem. I have bought a new slicked up Stoeger. It should arrive next week.

Does the new gun mean I will win the next match. Hell no. I am slow and know it. But the new gun will allow me to enjoy my shooting even more, which is the point of this post. Some people buy slicked up guns to allow them to enjoy their faovrite sport even more.

Like a lot of folks I started "out of the box" because i couldn't afford "slciked up guns." My out of the box Ruger NMVs shoot fine. My 92 Hartford needs to visit Nate Kiowa Jones. Both the revolvers and rifle are OK.

On the other hand my stock Baikal double barrel needs to find it's way to the bottom of a lake. Nothing has slowed me down more than that darn shotgun. You can't go fast when you have to use both hands and a foot to hold the breach open during reloads. Well, I have taken steps to solve the shotgun problem. I have bought a new slicked up Stoeger. It should arrive next week.

Does the new gun mean I will win the next match. Hell no. I am slow and know it. But the new gun will allow me to enjoy my shooting even more, which is the point of this post. Some people buy slicked up guns to allow them to enjoy their faovrite sport even more.

Send the Baikal to Nate... He does a great job on them.

Gunslinger here in Texas is THE MASTER of the Baikal...trust me.

Phantom

Some people buy slicked up guns to allow them to enjoy their faovrite sport even more.

Amen. Smooth operating guns are just a pleasure to shoot. They seem faster whether they are or not.

I'm always reminded of the snail that caught a ride on the back of a turtle. When the turtle took off, the snail yelled, "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" :blush: Fast is relative to what you are accustomed.

Hmmmmm....

deleted

Hmmmmm....

BINGO!!!!! :D

Archived