SASS Wire Forum

Any "Out of the box" shooters?

Knarley Bob

Been watching "Cowboys" on The Outdoor Channel, reading posts here and there about" Race Ready" guns.

Been looking at all the rules about which hammer can or cannot go on a certain gun and so forth. I've read that If you want to compete with that pistol set or rifle, heck even the shotguns have their "Slick 'em up" Gurus....... ya gotta get 'em done.

One of our new shooters, noticed that S.A.S.S. seemd to be going full circle to where it started.......IPSIC (Sp?) [i am hard of hearing and thought it was Dipstick but that's another story]

So how many shooters are out there who shoot "Out of the box" guns? Wronggun and I both do.

Knarley

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that why they time me with a ham sammich and a cold one??? :rolleyes:

Knarley

Anybody that wants to can shoot box stock guns. :rolleyes: When somebody suggests action jobs as an improvement, simply state that you are shooting them the way that makes you happy. Really nothing more needs said...

Possum

my main match pistols (7 1/2 SS NMV in 45) are box stock, except for executioner grips and my ROA's are stock.....aqnd yes, Im usually timed with a calendar.......

I've been doing this for a long time. I have always shot guns "out of the Box". (Once a few years ago I shot in the top 20 at a match.) I figure thats the way they shot 'em back then. Good enough for me.

The O'Meara, Himself

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

the only action work my main match guns have is shooting them. Not that I wouldnt get them slicked up, just dont have the spare change to do it.

My Rugers are bone stock out of the box, as is my TTN mule ear double. My Marlin is slicked up, but only because that was the only one I could find at the time in 357. It is much slicker than a stock gun, but if I'd been able to find a stock one, you can be sure I'd be shooting it.

Some are and some are not. What is most important to me is a gun that functions properly,not something that is eating itself up as I use it. Ive had it happen and that's where I draw the line,they don't have to be race thoroughbreds but I darn well wan't them to function Properly . Adios Sgt. Jake

MY CODYMATIC 73 came right out of the box

my new pistols (box went straight to Wes Fargo) then I took em out of the box when I got em back

97's> are old, never seen the box's

87 out of the box straight from lassiter

old 87 serial #fourthousand somethun.....no box

BSS from ol #4 no boxes

stoger out of the box

dozen er more pocket pistols no box

derringer out of the box

long range lever, out of the box then took the garage door spring out of it

antique danish rolling block (no box)

mileage thingie applies :rolleyes:

I shoot all stock other than putting lighter wire springs in my pistols in order to get longer spring life.

I tend to have bad luck with springs. :rolleyes:

~EE Taft~

...So how many shooters are out there who shoot "Out of the box" guns? Wronggun and I both do...

Yep. Me too.

I did put a short stroke, aluminum carrier and wire springs in the '66. Shot it that way for about 6 months before I put all the original parts back in.

IMHO the thought set that "all guns must be sent to a Smith" is wrong.

Next the usual suspects will enter this thread and say it is not fair for folks that want to shoot out of the box guns to be required to compete against modified guns. Then the thread will get nasty and eventually closed. It happens over and over and over. No one is requiring you folks to shoot out of the box guns, the rules allow mods and everyone competes within the same set of rules. I have watched many new shooters attempt to shoot out of the box guns and have seen many failures. Our gun manufacturers are selling a lot of junk. Many of these new guns just out of the box will just not function. Shame on the gun manufacturers for selling this junk. If gun manufacturers sold guns that functioned well out of the box, you would see a lot more shooters shooting such guns.

...Our gun manufacturers are selling a lot of junk. Many of these new guns just out of the box will just not function. Shame on the gun manufacturers for selling this junk...

I respectfully disagree.

Shame on the Purchaser for not holding the "junk" manufacturer to a higher standard.

I don't understand the mind set of why "we" expected a brand new 2010 car to run but not a CAS gun?

I was just wonderin'.If'n people want to shoot guns with Nitrous in the handle and steroid springs that is just fine with me. People ask if S.A.S.S. is a competitive sport........ I tell them It can be. I tell them you can have as much fun as you want, OR make your self as miserable as you want. It all depends on how you look at it.

Sure, I'll admit I have polished some inner of the parts in our guns, and put one peice firing pins in the rifles. As far as making a firearm work correctly, well, that's common sense.

I do know one thing for sure........I get a LOT more shooting time in than the guys who finish in the blink of an eye!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Knarley"Bum-ba-dee-dah" Bob

Well, my Liberty II is box stock, as is my '66 carbine. They just have a bunch of rounds through them. The C&Bs have been smoothed and worked on so they function & lockup correctly; and the nipples have been changed.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

i JUST :rolleyes: luv :lol: it

how many say

well

mine are stock

cept fer???????

tee-heee

if yer guns work properly out of the box

hail marry

if they dont

have em worked on a tadd bit

geeese

same old thread

different day

carry on fellers

My Rugers are stock except Longhunter springs and about 20,000 rounds fired and maybe 50,000 dry fires!

The 'except Longhunter springs' part eliminates the stock status :lol:

GG ~ :rolleyes:

...now now fellers... firin' however many 1000+ rounds out of a 'stock' gun still means it's 'stock' if it has the stock parts (or replacement parts) it originally came with. There are many folks that have many miles on their old pickups that are bone stock. :lol:

GG ~ :rolleyes:

Shot my Bisleys box stock for 3 years. Then felt some with some basic action work done to them.

Then thought "What The Heck Am I doing Shooting These Hard To Cock Things"

Got action job on them.

Ya know what??? They are just FUNNER to shoot now. I enjoy them more :rolleyes:

For those that say it is just about speed. I say BULL SPIT

For alot of us. It just makes them more enjoyable to shoot. THATS IT. Plain and simple.

If you enjoy shooting them bone stock. Good for you. I did. BUT. Enjoy the slicked up guns better. More of a pleasure to shoot. :lol:

My Armi San Marco M92 Clone had a horrid action from the factory, so I have a gunsmith smooth it out. I specificly told him I did not want it to be a race gun, just smooth like it should be. Once he was done with it, it is no different from any vintage Winchester that I have handled.

My 3rd Gen Colt Buntline was a little stiff when I first got it, the timing was perhaps not quite right and the hammer was very heavy to cock. Once again I gave it to my smith and just asked him to smooth it out a little. The action now is very close to my stock 1st Gen Colt.

All of my other guns are just as they came from the factory, both orignals and various reproductions or clones.

With one notable exception. Back in 70's my Dad purchased a new Colt SAA. Before he even took it out of the box, he took it to a gun smith and had it fine tuned and giving it a very light hair trigger. It's great gun.

And that's about all I can say about that.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "compete". If you want to shoot a match and have fun, box stock is just fine so long as they function properly. Now, if you want to COMPETE with the CHAMPIONS, well, then . . . getting your tools tuned for maximum efficiency is the least of your worries, but is just about required. And, you'll probably spend more $$$$ on practice ammo and practice range time than you will on gunsmithing.

My secondhand AWA Peacekeepers came tuned, slick as snot.

My 1918 vintage Winchester Model 1892 came slick as well, but needed some attention from a 'smith to repair or replace worn & broken parts.

My TTN 1878 coach gun got a little 'smith work, but not a complete race job . . . mostly lightening the latch spring & hammer springs, and camfering the chamber mouths. And speaking of manufacturer defects, it has a poorly-cut tumbler which I expect will eventually chew up the sear. I outta get that seen to.

I figure once they put you "in the box," you won't be shooting any more.

So - in the meantime- I'm happy to be an "out of the box" shooter. :rolleyes: However, that being said, no gun I shoot in CAS is a completely stock firearm.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Regards, TJH

Archived