SASS Wire Forum

EOT Best Dressed Contest Information

Tornado Alli

While planning for the best dressed costume contest at EOT, we comprised a list of possible questions that contestants may be asked during their 60 seconds onstage. I am listing these questions on both the Belle Alley and on the SASS Wire so that everyone will have a chance to review and prepare prior to the contest at EOT and the Convention.

But before we get to the questions, I want to go over the new “presentation” procedure that we are putting in place this year. First of all, let me emphasize that presentation is no longer required!!! You now have the option of doing a presentation as before or just simply appearing before the judges in your costume. You are welcome to simply describe your costume to the judges to demonstrate your knowledge and inspiration. Or just to tell us who made your costume and what materials they used. And if the judges then choose, they can ask you questions about your costume. But you do not have to come up with a “story” or a skit to present your costume.

Your score will be determined based upon the authenticity, originality and attention to detail demonstrated in your costume. Each criteria will be scored from 1 – 10 for a maximum total score of 30. Your presentation or your answers to questions will then be given a separate score of 1 – 5. In the event of a tie in the initial scoring, the separate presentation score will be the tie breaker.

So in other words, if two contestants have spot-on costumes that simply blow the judges away and are both given a score of 30, then the winner will be determined based upon either their responses to questions or their prepared remarks. It’s that simple!

Now for the questions. You may be asked one or more of the following:

1.What is the intended purpose of your costume? i.e. ball gown, walking dress, town marshal, gambler, etc.

2.What is the time period of your costume? This could be answered by stating a year, or an era, such as the natural form era, mid-80’s or the nineties.

3.What fabrics have been used in making your costume?

4.What is your inspiration for your costume? (NOTE: you are welcome to bring a picture of your inspiration from either historic fashion plates, photographs or movie stills).

5.Show us your accessories, including your shoes.

6.Please tell what foundation garments you are wearing without actually showing them to us. (Gentlemen, don’t worry, this is mostly for the ladies!)

7.Please show us the details of your costume, including any fabric manipulation, embroidery, method of closure, buttons or vintage details.

8.Would you say your hairstyle is period correct?

For the Military category, you may be asked any of the following:

9.What year or time period are you depicting? (Pre Civil War, Civil War, Indian Wars, Spanish American Wars, etc.)

10.What Country? (USA, CSA, Canadian, British, Australian, Mexican, French, Texican, etc.)

11.What branch of service? (Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery, other)

12.Are you depicting a specific unit, if so which one?

13.What items of your uniform indicate the unit, branch, country or time period?

14.Are you an officer or enlisted and what rank? What indicates that?

15.Tell us about the accessories you have.

16.It would be good to bring a copy of a period photo or drawing of the uniform, or copy of a photo of an existing one from a collection. (NOTE: This also applies to any category in which you drew inspiration from a historic or movie photo.)

Remember that you only have 60 seconds to present your outfit during the contest so there is only so much that we can ask you!!! Also bear in mind that we will have someone there prior to your appearance on stage that can help you if you have questions or get a bout of stage fright! We want everyone to feel as comfortable as possible presenting their beautiful work in order to get the recognition they so deserve!

Come play with us!!! See you at EOT!

Tornado Alli, Catawba Kate and Fannie Kikinshoot

There seems to be more interest in costuming lately, this thread and Capt. Baylor's article in the Cowboy Chronicle. Both seem to encourage more authencity in dress. I think a large part of our game is the dress, but I must confess to Capt. Baylor that while I do wear banded collar shirts, I don't own a "Gus" crease hat. With this in mind, I noticed the "Best Working Lady" at Winter Range, pg 17 of the CC, was wearing a black and white spotted outfit, complete with a black and white stuffed cow (or maybe a boarder collie) on her hat. Isn't this sending a mixed message?

But that's what I love about SASS, you can wear a checked shirt and a pair of jeans; you can dress b-western with rhinestones and fringing; you can dress authentically right down to your bloomers; and you're still dressed correctly!!!

I love the costuming, all of it! There's nothing authentic about my costumes at all but I love looking at the authentic ones, they take my breath away and I have nothing but admiration for those that choose that path.

But I also love those flashy b-western costumes (be still my beating heart)...... There's room for everyone in this game.

:D

There seems to be more interest in costuming lately, this thread and Capt. Baylor's article in the Cowboy Chronicle. Both seem to encourage more authencity in dress. I think a large part of our game is the dress, but I must confess to Capt. Baylor that while I do wear banded collar shirts, I don't own a "Gus" crease hat. With this in mind, I noticed the "Best Working Lady" at Winter Range, pg 17 of the CC, was wearing a black and white spotted outfit, complete with a black and white stuffed cow (or maybe a boarder collie) on her hat. Isn't this sending a mixed message?
Hi Pard,

I think that some folks idea of B-Western is "wild and crazy," which is how I would describe the outfit on p.17. You know, have fun with costuming. That's a whole different thing than Period Correct, which some of our folks strive for. I really admire the PC folks. However, some folks idea of costuming is more "period inspired." As long as we do not require folks to be period correct like some other sports do, something like this fits with our fantasy Western ideals.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Pard,

I think that some folks idea of B-Western is "wild and crazy," which is how I would describe the outfit on p.17. You know, have fun with costuming. That's a whole different thing than Period Correct, which some of our folks strive for. I really admire the PC folks. However, some folks idea of costuming is more "period inspired." As long as we do not require folks to be period correct like some other sports do, something like this fits with our fantasy Western ideals.

Regards,

Allie Mo

That wasn't "B Western" it was "Best working lady".

That wasn't "B Western" it was "Best working lady".
Okay, I understand. However, I think that the award was given in the spirit of "period inspired," which implies to me it was viewed as wild and crazy B-Western inspired .

Whether you or I think it was the "best" (totally subjective word) Working Costume is irrelevant. I believe that the judges thought it was the most creative and fun Working Costume. Three of the judging points in the SASS costume contest booklet are, "originality, detail, and presentation." Although it may lose on the fourth point, authenticity, it seemed to excel in the other three points.

Regards,

Allie Mo

It's really hard also when you are judging. Sometimes you don't have many that enter in a certain catagory and you just have to go with what ya have.

Too many people get so hooked on what is period correct. You have to remember that you need to think about geography, what working class are they, when did they get the latest fashions for a certain period. In HISTORY Many places geographically were really far behind those that had easy access to high fashion. And many didn't have the money to have truely correct fashion. They might have only been able to afford to add certain items to an existing piece of clothing....or the clothing was handed down to a younger sibling, many outfits were reworked numerous times before they became part of a quilt, or a rag....etc, etc, etc.

As far as B Western.....everything was used during this period. Hats from all eras....pants, vests, shirts etc. Whatever they could find on the movie lots costume shop. Many times they were NOT period correct throughout an entire movie.

I was in one costume contest where they said my felt hats were NOT period correct because they didn't look like Dale or Roy Rogers. Not so...look at all the different hats that were in our wonderful B Westerns. Hop a Longs...and too many others to name....all shapes and all sizes. They even wore STRAW cowboy hats during this period...even though we aren't allowed in SASS to wear them.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is the 'Spirit of the Game'-Those that try and put an effort into their costumes and have FUN while doing it.....that's what is important.

I think sometimes people forget this is a "fantasy" sport, if you want to be Period Correct, go for it. But if you sometimes just want to be wild and crazy, go for that too! Many of us are somewhere in between (and sometimes the weather has a lot to do with what I wear!) and I love to see someone outside the box and having fun.

OK, think of this, the Internet makes even the most remote location accessible for period correct clothing. I have no problem with whatever the judges decide, except "working" with a stuffed cow on her hat. So if I show up in a "shady brady", a short sleeve "henley" levies with stitching on the back pocket, and running shoes (we won't mention Evil Roy) I should be a viable contestant for one of the costume categories?

No, because you are not following the basic rules. However, ladies can wear short sleeves, short skirts, and that is a cowboy hat with the cow on the top, and ladies can wear most whatever hat they want. The lady in question is not, as far as I can see, breaking any of the rules. They also can shoot in their undies and corsets, usually don't hear any complaints about that. Ever see Gunzilla? Love him. He is a blast and adds to the overall fun of shooting within the rules. This is not just about shooting to me, but having fun with my friends and friends to be.

Yes you're quite correct, period clothing is available pretty much anywhere, IF you want it.

Well if you're following the rules of your costume category you would be eligible, unfortunately I do not know of any SASS category that would allow the clothing you have described!

Keep smiling! :D

Bad Hand,

I was referring to the people back in the day...not today. Internet access was not available during any of the periods we are 'fantasy' shooting in. Yes today we can find anything.....and yes it might be pushing it for 'Working Cowgirl" But like I said....there are times you only have so many people entering.....and you don't always want to award the same people first place, etc. It makes it boring and predictable for the rest of the shooters....so yes...I support choosing someone who might be a bit over the top....but they made the effort for fun! Are we really turning into Costume Natzi's????

Many places have changed the name from "Working Costume" to "Shooting Costume" so that more eras, types of Western wear, new and old west characters and livelihoods are covered.

One quick question - WHEN is the costume contest? I heard Friday, then Saturday, and now Friday again. Just need to know for sure.

Bad Hand,

I was referring to the people back in the day...not today. Internet access was not available during any of the periods we are 'fantasy' shooting in. Yes today we can find anything.....and yes it might be pushing it for 'Working Cowgirl" But like I said....there are times you only have so many people entering.....and you don't always want to award the same people first place, etc. It makes it boring and predictable for the rest of the shooters....so yes...I support choosing someone who might be a bit over the top....but they made the effort for fun! Are we really turning into Costume Natzi's????

Why is it when someone questions something they become a nazi?I'm sorry you can't respond to a question without name calling.

I'm sorry about the costume nazi part...but you still kept cutting down someones time and creation after numerous people had supported their effort. If that particular person has read this thread...how do you think they feel after you have totally cut down their efforts. This is one of the reasons why we have such a hard time getting people to even enter costume contests.

And I think by throwing Evil Roy's name out there.....you began the spat. Why do we even have to be so critical about our fellow shooters??? Every person joins this game for their own reasons, who are we to question their reasons...

I'm not "cutting down" anyone, perhaps the catagory should have been "best shooting" instead of "best working". Compare tthe outfits of best working man and best working woman and perhaps you can see my view point.

Actually, I kind of like Prairie Wests black and white ensemble, complete with hat. It looks fun! It also looks like it is within the rights of the handbook, too.

Historically, women have done some pretty interesting things with hair and hats. Things from bird cages with canary happily swinging and tweeting arranged in hair, to, dead but preserved, birds, fox, baby alligators all happily arranged around and on womens hats. The 1880's was a very popular time period for these hat drapings.

Now as a hitorical seamstress .... in all of the years I have sewn historical gowns, I have only been asked twice to make an authentic period correct garment. Not a totally difficult endeavor, but it is a costly one. Mostly I sew, and wear, period inspired ensembles. This is a fantasy sport, there are rules to adhere to, but mostly it generates fun .....

I admire anyone who will allow themselves to be judges associated with costuming; There is no way to please everyone. I do know that Tornado Allie, Fannie and Cat. Kate will do a marvelous job with EOT. I know they will be fair. They will be gracious. And if they make a judgemnet, they will stand behind it ... even if some find it was not fair or right ... or whatever the case may be.

As has Aspen Filly, I have been in charge of judging costume contests also. If I am looking for full authenticity, I would have an awful time as nearly no one, especially in the Shoolting category, has it down fully. Men usually did not allow their braces to show, most wore a vest over them. No rolled up sleeves around ladies, the fun factor would be missing for the ladies for sure, and you guys too as no lady would wear her corset where you would see it!! The costuming is one of the main things that got me interested in CAS, then the shotgun, and the FUN. So many of the other shooting sports miss the FUN factor. What do you care what one person's idea of fun is, as long as it is safe and in the Spirit of the Game, which includes FUN. We have encountered Costume Nazi's, and they just seem to be determined to take some pleasure in destroying someone else's enjoyment, especially if they did not win. (I am not calling you one, by the way) Do you read Cat's column on clothing often? I see her letting us know the rules, but never have I heard her dis someone. As you can see, I am seriously into the costume part of this, and I want everyone to be encouraged to be creative, participate and have FUN

PS: Sass will allow special circumstances for people with physical problems, as long as an advantage is not gained. Thank goodness, because you never know when you might be in the same position.

I'm not "cutting down" anyone, perhaps the catagory should have been "best shooting" instead of "best working". Compare tthe outfits of best working man and best working woman and perhaps you can see my view point.

That's a fine comparison...but I also beleive you should take it up with the judges from the event and not critique it out in front of all. It really takes away from that persons thrill of winning. As a past judge of many costume contests....it is very hard sometimes for all the judges to agree on who will win a certain catagory. It's also very hard to even get people to be costume judges. And one of the reasons is because there is always people who will cut you down for the choices that were made.

If we don't chill abit and just accept the final choices of the judges.....we will eventually loose this portion of our sport. Which would be very sad, becuz it is so very much a part of this sport. Heck this year we wouldn't have had any costume contests at EOT if Fannie, Kate, Ali, Shotglass and all hadn't stepped forward. People were tired of trying to make it work and less people have been competing.

I am always out there, telling people to enter, begging people to enter, encouraging participation, encouraging the beginners, congratulating the accomplished on their latest masterpeices. The positive side should be the strong side. I will always be on the PRO side and encourage everyone to take part....no matter how silly their outfit is or how period correct it may be. This is SASS....serious, competitve, silly, fun, safe, educational, the best extended family in the world.

....perhaps the catagory should have been "best shooting" instead of "best working"....

At a lot of big shoots, "best working" IS "best shooting"...it's just what they call it.

Mr. Hand, your negativity while questioning why a particular costume won at an event is why it's difficult to find contestants and judges for our matches. Not only will it not allow the winner to enjoy their winning, but it also makes the judges never want to judge again.

I've seen that winning costume several times and it makes me smile every time. [You'd really freak out if you knew it included udders also! ROFL ] We all need a few more smiles in this world. :FlagAm::D :D

If you would read my original post, I cited 2 articles in the CC that called for more authenticity in costumes and costume judging. Don't you see the contradiction of Capt Baylor saying that men need to wear collared (no banded collars) shirts, some sort of neck wear, a vest, and some sort of hat crease, other than a "Gus" but even then "might still never bring you to the attention of the roving judges". Cat Ballou stated "In many cases, it was the fine detail and accoutrement's that determined the winner." Guess I must not understand "authenticity, fine detail, and accoutrements" You may not like my "negativity", but please don't call me a nazi, unless you feel that my disagreeing with your opinion is equivalent to killing millions of people.

You'd really freak out if you knew it included udders also! ROFL ]

Now isn't that attention to fine detail???? :FlagAm:

You are correct in that the gentleman that won the Shooting award on page 16 looks really good. He is dressed in a traditional classic cowboy style. But that does not take away from the lady who is dressed as differently as can be imagined in a B Western type outfit. With all respect to Capt. Baylor, whom I know slightly and has always been a gentleman, he wrote his opinions about how he judges. This gives other ideas on how to dress if they wish to achieve an award in Costumes. It is not necessarily what other judges base their criteria on. It is exceedingly difficult to choose between a lovely Victorian shooting outfit and a flashy B Western outfit, sometimes is comes down to the shoes, or boots, or jewelery or udder to tip the scale. I would suggest perhaps you, Mr. Hand, get involved in judging and enter some of the costume contests in your own club and experience some of these difficulties yourself. But keep an open mind please.

I would suggest perhaps you, Mr. Hand, get involved in judging and enter some of the costume contests in your own club and experience some of these difficulties yourself. But keep an open mind please.

I don't think that would be a good idea since it is obvious that I neither understand the intent or the parameters of this endeavor. I shall withdraw from this subject with the promise that I shall never enter or judge a costume contest.

One quick question - WHEN is the costume contest? I heard Friday, then Saturday, and now Friday again. Just need to know for sure.

The Saloon Girl contest will be Thursday night and the Best Dressed contest will be Friday night.

I was not at the event where this award was presented so I cannot comment on why or how the winning outfits were chosen. I can however say that "shooting outfits" are often called "working outfits" and in this case it would be appropriate. Why? Well, I have no doubt that Prairie Wheat was working that posse just as hard as any other cowboy or cowgirl, she just happened to be "working" in a B-Western outfit. I do not know if Prairie Wheat had a story to go along with that outfit, but she very well could have said that she was from a 1940 Circus and in that circus she was the "cowgirl". Voila, her outfit is perfectly suitable for the B-Western era that we love so much! Just so you know I've done my research, many of our beloved B-Western stars performed in the circus, so I have no doubt there would have been clowns portraying cowboys and cowgirls in funny ways. Here is one link:

http://www.b-westerns.com/circus.htm

I've had my decisions as a costuming judge questioned before and I always stand behind my decisions. Just because there is an outfit at the event that someone else thinks should be the winner, you may not realize that person didn't enter the contest or the outfit has already won at EOT or the SASS Convention, which disqualifies the outfit from any other contests. There are always reasons behind the decisions and the only way to find out the answers is to ask the questions of the judges that made the decisions.

I love this sport and the costuming has become my passion. I also love just having fun with it at times and being silly. Here is the proof....my very first "Mounted Shoot".

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4148

Archived