SASS Wire Forum

Road Construction on I-40 thru Tijeras Canyon

Like last summer, NMDOT has I-40 through Tijeras Canyon under construction - this summer from Tijeras to Zuzax. Construction will affect EoT shooters lodging in Albuquerque. There are two lanes eastbound but only one westbound. Eastbound traffic flows well enough so long as trucks don't wreck in the construction zone. However, returning from Founders Ranch last Sunday afternoon, westbound traffic was moving only 20 mph through the construction zone. During the morning rush hour traffic reporters announced commuting times from the east mountains to Albuquerque increased by 45 minutes. NMDOT announced changes to improve traffic flow. We'll see if they work. Meanwhile, old Route 66 through Tijeras Canyon remains an alternative route.

Last year I stayed in Albuquerque and used Route 66 going to Founders Ranch and then used 44 going back. It's not a bad travel route. Looks like I will be doing that again this year only using it going back also.

Scout :(:blink:

• 2 months later...

Update: The eastbound traffic situation has got worse. From Albuquerque to Carnuel today (Sunday afternoon) there was one lane of stop-and-go traffic. I'm definately taking Old 66 to the ranch. Good news: westbound traffic flowed really well. I'll take the freeway back to Albuquerque.

What's it like on a Sunday evening???? Are they working it around the clock or not???I'm leaving Cortez in the afternoon (late) and probably won't get there until around 7-8pm????

Ed,

Which exit is best to get onto Rt 66?

Get off I-40 in Albuquerque at the Tramway exit and turn south to Central Ave. (It's very close.) Head east on Rt. 333. Watch the signs as the route isn't exactly clear. If you need supplies there is a Smiths grocery store at the intersection of Tramway and Central.

What's it like on a Sunday evening???? Are they working it around the clock or not???I'm leaving Cortez in the afternoon (late) and probably won't get there until around 7-8pm????

Don't know their schedule.

Good luck ladies!

I took I-40 through Tijeras Canyon today to do some work at the ranch. The bottleneck between Albuquerque and Carnuel is gone. Eastbound you can cruise to Tijeras until construction begins. Traffic flowed well through the construction though 18-wheelers had trouble staying in their lanes. With two lanes pinched between Jersey barriers it was not too safe. The westbound return was OK. Though there is just one westbound lane there is wide shoulder. Westbound is a fairly safe route.

Route 333 (Old 66) is fine for horse trailers. It will keep you from being squeezed against the Jersey barriers by 18-wheelers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Ed for you tips on traffic!! the horse trailers just sailed down rout 66 and the tramway blvd. It was a lot less hectic. We appreciate you

Helda and Aneeda Huginkiss!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just came back from Albuquerque on Wednesday after visiting relatives. There was not any construction on IH40. But, relative says that can change at any time. He said they are always doing contruction in that area.

There have been NO major construction initiatives announced for last few months. All of I40 from Albq limits to Edgewood is clear of construction. Things may change, but they look good now for EOT traffic.

Garrison Joe

Archived