SASS Wire Forum

Handling the low humidity

Howdy pards, we are going to EOT this year for the first time. Three years ago we spent a week in Sante Fe and had a rough time with the low humidity. We did the lotion, nasal gel and a humidifier. Although we used eye drops we always felt like we had sand in our eyes.

We are from Florida and its 60-80% humidity. Sure it's rough to shoot in when it's 95 degrees but it's what we are used to.

We don't have an issue with altitude as we have spent 3 weeks in Colorado every summer the last 9 years. We can handle the 30% humidity there.

Suggestions are most welcome, thanks.

:D:D

Drink PLENTY of water. WAY more than you think you need. If you are thirsty you are already dehydrated.

Drinking water is WAY better than anything else. Keep yourself humid :D on the inside.

You're doing the right things and getting good advice. Additionally, limit your consumption of caffeinated beverages and alcohol. They're both diuretics and will dry you out. Bath using moisturizing soap. It really helps dry skin.

Plenty of CHAP STICK! or other lip goo... lived here 35 years and can't go without a tube in my pocket. MHO .. the stuff with ALOE in it is the best.

Thanks, I got the water thing down pat, I live in Florida and vacation in Colorado, so we drink a couple of gallons of water a day already. When I shoot I drink a Gatorade/Pedialyte mixed 40/60.

I guess I should have been more specific.

The lip balm is good, I buy some more for that. I'll make sure it's heavy on the aloe.

I use Systane eye wash. Has anyone used that stuff that's like ointment? Does it do any better than regular eye wash? More specifically, does it last longer?

We also take lots of Flax oil and other EFA like cod liver oil.

Thanks again.

heck I thought 30% humidity was high.

Some sort of Saline solution for your nose, Doc once told me to use Nasal or something like that. Eyes sorry can not help. Skin it will dry out but will come back as soon as you get home.

Just read some where That the Israel army drinks a pint or liter of water an hour. Wonder where that was?

No problem. Just move to Albuquerque no later than April 1st. It takes that long to get acclimated.

Oh, it's already June? Well, you're screwed.

Come to think of it, so am I. We arrived April 5th, and I turn into a dried out scarecrow after about 2 hours in the sun and wind.

I have found Gatorade to be very helpful, you don't need a lot, a small bottle, it helps keep your electrolyte balance OK. Try it and see, particularly after a lot of time in the sun; you still need the water, too. You are sweating, but with the dryness it evaporates quite quickly so you don't notice it so much. That goes for Colorado, too, cowboy.

Water is always best but you can drink more if its tasty. I do not reccomend the Arrowhead brand of water it has a funny dirt taste. YOu should drink at least two waters to every gatorade.

Guest Snakebite, SASS #4767L

Water is by far the best. Most of us are just trying to stay hydrated, and NOTHING does a better job of that than plain ol water. Too much Gatoraid is not what a bunch of old folks need. We are not using up the elements like a football player is. WATER-WATER-WATER!

Snakebite

Archived